Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Kalli posted:

They just don't exist in any meaningful capacity until a disaster happens, then show up for a game or two until the body politic forgets and they're back to not existing.

Like in response to Parker, the Pats game had one this week, and they pulled Hunter Henry after he got clearly concussed (he was already off the field in the tent already when they announced he was pulled).

Oh wow I wasn’t aware of that. I think you’re exactly right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Hopefully JJ Watt becomes the next big action movie star like I thought he should have after 2017. Or at least moves back to Houston and takes up Jim McIngvale's title of Greatest Houstonian when he passes.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 27, 2022

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

My apologies it was Jonnu Smith that happened to.

https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/1607393271738929154

Hunter Henry was injured on the previous drive because they ran into each other on a route. Patriots football baby

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

dirty shrimp money posted:

Hopefully JJ Watt becomes the next big action movie star like I thought he should have after 2017.

JJ Watt should have a HGTV show where he goes around to hear people's sob stories about getting ripped off by shady contractors, then brings in a team to fix it while he stands around going 'good hustle fellas' then he takes all the credit for the work.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kalli posted:

JJ Watt should have a HGTV show where he goes around to hear people's sob stories about getting ripped off by shady contractors, then track them down and berate/beat the poo poo out of them like those old Terry Tate office linebacker commercials

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

They gotta force tua to retire if they need to.
You've got pro fighters not taking this kind of damage and he's going to suffer for life if this keeps up. He already might.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Amy Pole Her posted:

So what exactly is the job of these nfl spotters?

They pulled Bridgewater for nearly nothing, but left Tua in the game against Green Bay. I watched in real time and missed it completely - but if your job is to spot stuff like this, that head hit looks violent enough to warrant a question. Why isn’t this happening?

a few weeks AFTER claiming the whole Devante Parker thing - which had the ACTUAL PLAYER OPENLY COMPLAIN ABOUT IT - was actually handled properly.

Is there just zero accountability?

You obviously can’t count on the nfl doc or Miamis doc - we’ve all seen that - but it feels like everyone just keeps saying “well we tried. We’ll improve!”

Simply put there's no repercussions if the NFL screws up & the NFLPA doesn't have enough power to fight on behalf of the players.

Also what Kalli said.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Kalli posted:

JJ Watt should have a HGTV show where he goes around to hear people's sob stories about getting ripped off by shady contractors, then brings in a team to fix it while he stands around going 'good hustle fellas' then he takes all the credit for the work.

We already have Mike Holmes

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Android Apocalypse posted:

Simply put there's no repercussions if the NFL screws up & the NFLPA doesn't have enough power to fight on behalf of the players.

Also what Kalli said.

I think the NFLPAs wishy washy stance on these things is probably pretty in line with how the players feel. Stronger protocols and enforcement would lead to more missed playing time and you’ll rarely see players vote for missing playing time, especially when it’s completely out of their control.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This squares with what I found the other day about the Jaguars/Lions being much better than their record if you look at decisive wins/losses:

A couple more charts from Ben's thread:

The Packers RBs are pretty good. Run them more, LaFleur!:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That's right buddy, the Pats defense rules and you're gonna see them for 40 minutes a game, so get used to it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I just noticed every time in the South (both NFC and AFC) is under 500 lol

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Android Apocalypse posted:

Also what Kalli said.

The PA can end the doctors contracts with the league as those require both to approve. That's how the neurologist in Tua's first totally not a concussion case got fired. Requires the PA to do things though.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The PA can end the doctors contracts with the league as those require both to approve. That's how the neurologist in Tua's first totally not a concussion case got fired. Requires the PA to do things though.

Sure, but in this case Tua was not assessed because nobody flagged him as potentially being concussed.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Sure, but in this case Tua was not assessed because nobody flagged him as potentially being concussed.

I'm saying there are consequences just the PA has to give a poo poo.

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

is there any visual evidence of Tua looking concussed after that hit, aside from sucking?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I'm saying there are consequences just the PA has to give a poo poo.

Yea, they could go after the spotter but I’m not sure they actually want spotters being *too* aggressive.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Ugh, that looks about right for.the Ravens. Would have been really cool to see a healthy Baltimore offense play with this excellent end of season defense.

Oh well. It will be a fun thing to pretend can happen next season.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Arizona claims another victim.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Chinatown posted:

Arizona claims another victim.

Forget it, Chinatown. It's Arizona.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

thinking about the guy in a gdt one time who thought tua's last name was tuavailoa and made fun of the announcer for pronouncing it correctly. who was that guy. i hope we're already friends nowadays

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Posting to pay my respects to JJ Watt

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

epic bacon posted:

is there any visual evidence of Tua looking concussed after that hit, aside from sucking?

Anytime a player hits the back of their head on the ground like that, especially when that player has been concussed already just a few weeks ago in that very same way, should be pulled and evaluated.

The NFL doesn't give a fuuuuuuck about turning people's brains to pudding.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mr. Nice! posted:

Anytime a player hits the back of their head on the ground like that, especially when that player has been concussed already just a few weeks ago in that very same way, should be pulled and evaluated.

The NFL doesn't give a fuuuuuuck about turning people's brains to pudding.

The NFL cares, but only when it has the potential to impact their money. Otherwise, they’re totally fine with the puddingfication.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Another thread is better for this post

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1607816218840375296

one of the more obvious tank jobs i can remember. and i can't blame them, really.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Matty Ice retires after this season then yes?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Look at that Roster, Nick Foles is probably the best QB on that

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

abelwingnut posted:

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1607816218840375296

one of the more obvious tank jobs i can remember. and i can't blame them, really.

sticking with a Superbowl Champion, MVP, T*m Br*dy slayer, and alleged big dick haver makes sense imo

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The giants getting a bye into the playoffs is very 2022 giants.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

they deserve a bye, and so do the ny jets. hopefully next year is their year for an easy bye into the pissed offs. that's my joke name for the playoffs. congrats to jj watt for finally having a nice year after only having poo poo years and immensely incredible years

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
As I said after the first concussion, he shoumda been done for the year. Turns out that once you get a bad concussion you become far more susceptible! Guy is going to have a very short career and taken years off his brain life.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Then why does the Chargers doc who stabbed Tyrod's lung still have a job?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Man, I want Tua to be happy, healthy and successful so bad.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yes. I think two of those things are possible

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah, I hope he escapes the Dolphins too

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Then why does the Chargers doc who stabbed Tyrod's lung still have a job?

I posted this on NFL reddit earlier this year (I blame alcohol for this terrible lapse in judgement) and was surprised to get loving dogpiled. Chargers medical staff stan was not a genre of poster I expected to exist. "Bro it was just an accident, anyone could have done it, are you cool getting fired every time you make a mistake at work too bro?" Idk I feel like there is a wide gulf between bringing someone the wrong check at Chili's or making the button on their website blue instead of green and almost killing them :shrug:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Eagles defense seems better than how they appear on the slash charts.

Also - what happens to Lamar this offseason? Franchise tag time?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Bound to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Eagles defense seems better than how they appear on the slash charts.

Yup. Hopefully tag and extend but at this point tag is the only part that's guaranteed.