Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

surf rock posted:

Nine starting quarterbacks who have been largely or entirely healthy and performing well enough to remain the starter over the course of the season. Nine. What the gently caress?

Arguably 10, the Niners lost their starter and their backup, who was their previous starter.

And then magic happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Garoppolo is gonna be available.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Jimmy doesn't deserve that.

Well, no. He was a hero last season, and only improved this year. I used to say that an NFL QB can't, simply cannot, have a signature interception. JimmyG doesn't have one anymore.

I am being brutally pragmatic here. The 49ers have a chance to have their top two QBs both be on their rookie contracts. This opens up a lot of cap room to pay other players, or even bring in another high-profile FA. York and Shanahan have to be considering this a very strong option.

Remember, this is the team that benched Joe Montana. Which made me a Chiefs fan, so that aspect of it worked out. But that's loving sacrilege. Joe. Benched.

It sucks that someone who plays out of their mind for a team and gets great results only to get passed over for the new hotness. It happens in the NFL. HoF QBs spend a decade plus with a team and retire from another one. Jimmy's injury history suggests he might be getting there. If the opportunity cost for having JimmyG under center for maybe not the whole season is not being able to resign Warner or Greenlaw, then that doesn't look good for Garoppolo in red and gold.

It's going to come down to three things. The first is how much cap space we need to free up to keep a team together than can match or exceed the success we have this year.

The second is JimmyG's long-term health prospects. We could keep Purdy as the backup, start JimmyG, and know we're okay at QB if the starter goes down. Or maybe he'd take another incentive-laden backup deal. I'd be cool with that, so long as we can still keep the band together.

Third, Shanahan is calling a more aggressive and more productive offensive scheme for Purdy. Garoppolo has a season QB Rating of a 101, his career best. Purdy is clocking in at 110 in his first four full (-ish) games. I think coach likes this kid. The team is on record as being wildly impressed with him and totally on board for the Brock Purdy Experience.

Ask me again after the Super Bowl, I may have a fourth point, or lose one.

e.

Highbrow Slick posted:

Please please sign Carr 9ers

:frogout:

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 29, 2022

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

sent to the glue factory that is the Josh McDaniels Raiders.

Send him to the Packers instead :devil:

Oh gently caress no, that'd be crue...
wait.

I hope he has a good agent.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

Every injury concern people have with Jimmy is just as valid for Lance, and both last played a full season anywhere in 2019. I would trust Purdy over either of them, and Jimmy over Lance

I think the move is to keep Purdy and Lance so we have two QBs on their rookie contracts, then use the savings to pay Bosa and Aiyuk, and maybe get another good free agent. I would also accept Purdy starting and Jimmy as the backup again, that's still pretty cheap for having two good QBs. I just think the two rookie contracts would let us keep this squad together for a couple of seasons.

I've seen a rumor video that the Texans might want to trade the 32nd or 33rd pick overall for Lance. We could use the pick, and JimmyG isn't terribly expensive riding the bench. The thing is, Jimmy would be an upgrade at QB for a lot of teams, injury risk and all, and after this season's performance he deserve to start somewhere.

In the Purdy-JimmyG comparison do remember that one of Purdy's INTs was in garbage time against the Chiefs. Both of them are running a 4:1 ratio otherwise. That's elite by any measure, although with Purdy it is a small sample size. Teams should be lining up to pay JimmyG with the season he had.

But Purdy's upside is higher than Garappolo's. Shanahan is letting him be aggressive and the results are on the scoreboard and in the win column. Last in the draft, goddamn I love a Cinderella story.

Speaking of which, our rookie RB Mason was a UDFA. Someone on the scout team has an eye for diamonds in the rough.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Kind of amazing how well this correlates with making the playoffs.

San Francisco says hi.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

"Parade of imbeciles" - a niners fan, here probably, maybe even you

Oh it really was. We had a parade of some of the just plain stupidest people to ever coach in the NFL. We had talent on the field, enough that an actually good coach could turn us around in exactly one (1) season. 6-10 in 2010 to 13-3 and the NFCCG in 2011. Alex Smith went from a 14/10 TD/INT ratio to 17/5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

kiimo posted:

edit: lmao I'm just getting beaten left and right

Just like Kelce on a running play.