Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

JJ Watt announced he's retiring at the end of the season.

Guy was a walk in hall of famer after 5 years in the league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I don't know if he did, but he did have a ridiculous bit in the middle of the game where he like tackled the RB for a loss on 2nd and 1, then did it again on 3rd and 2 then caused a bad pass on 4th and 2 I think.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Benne posted:

JJ at his peak was the best defensive player I've ever seen

It's a shame about the injuries, otherwise he could've made a real run at the career sack record.

Von Miller won rookie of the year their first year with 11.5 sacks and JJ Watt still passed him in sacks in year 3 and didn't surrender that lead until year 7 and his 2nd consecutive lost season to injury

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Amy Pole Her posted:

So what exactly is the job of these nfl spotters?

They pulled Bridgewater for nearly nothing, but left Tua in the game against Green Bay a few weeks AFTER claiming the whole Devante Parker thing - which had the ACTUAL PLAYER OPENLY COMPLAIN ABOUT IT - was actually handled properly.

Is there just zero accountability?

They just don't exist in any meaningful capacity until a disaster happens, then show up for a game or two until the body politic forgets and they're back to not existing.

Like in response to Parker, the Pats game had one this week, and they pulled Hunter Henry after he got clearly concussed (he was already off the field in the tent already when they announced he was pulled).

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

My apologies it was Jonnu Smith that happened to.

https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/1607393271738929154

Hunter Henry was injured on the previous drive because they ran into each other on a route. Patriots football baby

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

dirty shrimp money posted:

Hopefully JJ Watt becomes the next big action movie star like I thought he should have after 2017.

JJ Watt should have a HGTV show where he goes around to hear people's sob stories about getting ripped off by shady contractors, then brings in a team to fix it while he stands around going 'good hustle fellas' then he takes all the credit for the work.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That's right buddy, the Pats defense rules and you're gonna see them for 40 minutes a game, so get used to it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

"I thought only Brett Favre did that"

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Texans @ Colts might be a game for the ages.... for the Bears.

Imagine the pure joy of a Bears fan if the Texans beat the Colts, locking them into the #1 seed and the haul of all desperate hauls from a thirsty team.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't think the Texans will lose the top draft spot but yeah, Bears fans gotta be hoping for that because that will be a nice haul to trade out of. But even at 2 they'll probably still be able to get some good value.

Probably not, but Lovie knows he isn't keeping that job, the players want to win for their own pride and careers. The best bird they can all flip to the Texans is winning that game. C'mon Brandin Cooks, they refused to trade you when the season was lost, give 'em a win to remember you by.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Heinecke is a steady kind of middling, while Wentz has lower lows and sorta slightly higher highs I guess.

Also Heinecke has a per game win bonus, and that's money Dirty Dan doesn't have to be spending :v:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Severity is probably the main thing here, but yeah, NFL players suffer... a lot of them.

Just most don't suffer one, then a week later get hit so hard they t-rex on the field until taken off via an ambulance.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

EmbryoSteve posted:

this is where the league is though. If you dont have a top 10 guy you are hosed. The qb protection and passing rules encourage this imo having an elite guy feels like you might get more roughing calls (whether or not the data bears this out im not going to look)

<Looks at the 49ers and Vikings> Nah.

Broncos and Jets just needed middling play and they'd be playoff teams. Pats need that and an OC and they're set. Saints and Steelers are at least reasonable teams with that.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'd believe you could've swapped Kirk Cousins and Derek Carr 5 years ago and probably not changed anything else.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Doubtful: Me watching this game

https://twitter.com/jwyattsports/status/1608208032554520577

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

There's 15 QB's making at least $25m APY (which is a sorta kinda true, so let's go with it). Also shows how quick the Ravens should try to get Lamar to agree to *anything* before Burrow / Herbert / Hurts push Mahomes further down this list.

$50 Rodgers
$49 Russ
$46 Kyler / Watson
$45 Mahomes
$43 Josh Allen
$40 Derek Carr / Stafford / Prescott
$35 Cousins
$33 Goff
$32 Wentz
$30 Matt Ryan
$30 Tannehill
$25 Brady
---- Next two are also the last not just what Rookies get paid tier --------
$15 Baker
$14 Winston

So you can see why the "average starter, who's good in the right situation" is a problem, because you're getting like a $10m discount off God tier play, when realistically if that $40m tier is right, Mahomes should be earning $100m. But if you don't pay that, you're suddenly in the realm of pure desperation.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 29, 2022

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yup, they're both 7-8, Jags won the first meeting so have that tiebreaker, while Titans will have a better division record if they win.

Only thing that this weekend can change is what happens if they tie next weekend, so yeah, Titans resting everybody.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

a neat cape posted:

CELL BEATS GOKU

But is killed by being teleported to the most remote hellhole imaginable before exploding. So clearly signaling a loss in Buffalo.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Screens have their place even as a negative EPA play. They slow down and muck up the pass rush, force LB's to move horizontally instead of just letting them crash down . Wide receiver screens are the lovely cousin of screens, that give you almost none of the benefits, but give secondary players the opportunity to 1 v 1 a guy for a 2 yard gain.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, the Giants roster is bad enough that riding Jones for a year or two while you put pieces around him should be fine.

Not the worst plan when they actually stumbled onto a really good coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Made a news thread for it, since this will get closed sooner or later for next week's

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4021083