Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Straw Hat?
Luffy
Zoro
Nami
Usopp
Vivi
Chopper
Robin
Franky
Brook
Jinbei
Carrot
Yamato
View Results

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

One Piece Card Game Not to be confused with 2005's One Piece Collectable Card Game is a collectable card game released in 2022 (July in Japan, December worldwide) based on Eiichiro Oda's worldwide smash hit manga One Piece. Run your ship with your leader, direct your crew to defeat your enemies and strike the final blow when all their defenses are down. Take a mix of the Pokémon TCG's prize cards, Hearthstone's mana generation, Digimon's security checks, Cardfight Vanguard's shield values, the One Piece CG borrows a bit from many games and makes its own unique play experience out of it all.

A normal deck contains
  • One Leader card
  • A 50 card main deck consisting of
    • Character Cards
    • Event Cards
    • Stage Cards
  • A 10 card DON!! deck

Leader Cards

O captain! My captain!

All decks have a single leader card and they define what kind of deck you'll be building.
  • Top Right: Power and Attribute, your key for battles. Power determines who wins a battle. Attribute is mostly flavor, it describes what style of attack they'd normally make in the series.
  • Center: Your leader's unique effect, some may be passive and some more bombastic, plan some plays around them.
  • Bottom Left: That hexagon tells you what color cards you can use. IE, Luffy #1 only has a red wedge so his deck can only contain red cards. Luffy #2 has red and green so his deck can go multicolor. Think MtG's Commander color identity.
  • Bottom Center: Name and Type. Name should be self-explanatory. Type is what faction(s) that leader represents, think Yu-Gi-Oh! archetypes.
  • Bottom Right: Starting Life total, has varied from 4 to 6 so far.

Character Cards

We've got manga art, anime art, original art and of course chase cards.

Monsters, Creatures, Rear-guards, call them whatever you want. The majority of the cards you'll be using in your decks. There's a bunch to break down here.
  • Top left: Cost. You need to tap rest this much DON!! to play this card, more on that later.
  • Top right: Power and Attribute. The number is that character's power, same as the leader. Attribute is mostly flavor but some cards have effects about types (ie a certain Luffy doesn't get KOed by Strikes while a certain Buggy won't get KOed by Slashes).
  • Center left: Counter. When your opponent declares a battle, you can discard characters in your hand to add their Counter value to the defending card's Power. Cards so far had have
    • No counter
    • +1000
    • +2000
  • Center: Effects, if any. There are cards that cater to vanilla cards so being effectless isn't always a bad thing.
  • Below Center: Triggers. When your leader takes damage, you draw a card from your Life Cards. If the drawn card has a trigger, you can activate the trigger effect instead of adding it to your hand. Not every character has a trigger effect.
  • Bottom Left: Color. It has to match a color on your leader to be usable in your deck.
  • Bottom Center: Name and Type. Cards with search effects typically look for certain card types so check here for valid targets.
  • Bottom Right: Set/Card Number. You can only have four copies of a card with the same set/card number per deck.

Stage Cards

The first booster set doesn't have any, just two of the four starters did. What were they thinking?

You know about Pokémon's Stadium cards or Yu-Gi-Oh!'s Field cards? It's One Piece's version of them.
  • Top Left: Cost. Same as before.
  • Center: Effect. Each stage has one.
  • Below Center: Triggers. Wait until set two for a stage with a trigger.
  • Bottom Left: Color. Still has to match the leader.
  • Bottom Center: Name and Type. Same details as characters have.
  • Bottom Right: Set/Card Number. Still like characters.

Event Cards

A straight to the chest or cross counter in the face?

Yu-Gi-Oh! calls them spells or traps. One Piece combines them together.
  • Top Left: Cost. Still a cost.
  • Center: Effect. Just like everything else. Some are for your main phase, some are counter events.
  • Below Center: Triggers. Many events have a trigger that can/will screw your opponent's plans.
  • Bottom Left: Color. Still should match.
  • Bottom Center: Name and Type. The usual.
  • Bottom Right: Set/Card Number. Still can only have four copies.

DON!! Cards

Not DOOM!!

Like a mix between Energy Cards and Mana, Oda's favorite sound effect plays an important role as your key resource. Each turn, that player places two cards from the DON!! deck to the cost area active (the starting player places only one on their first turn) with a max of ten available. DON!! have a variety of uses:
  • Tap Rest them to play cards/activate effects.
  • Attach unrested DON!! to your leader/characters to give them +1000 power per DON!! during your turn.
  • Certain cards return DON!! to the DON!! deck to activate their effects.

The Play Field

1. Character Area. You can have a maximum of five out at a time.
  2. Leader Card: You only have one and it goes here.
  3. Stage Card: If you play one, it goes here.
  4. Deck: Self explanatory.
  5. Trash: Discard Pile, Graveyard, Drop Zone, pick your synonym.
  6. Cost Area: Active DON!! cards you can use go here.
  7. DON!! Deck: You'll be placing two DON!! per turn so this will eventually empty out.
  8. Life: Fail to defend your Leader and you'll be drawing the cards from here.

Rules/Gameplay
The basic flow of a game goes like this.
  • Game Setup
    • Draw your opening hand of five cards. You have the choice to mulligan your whole hand once.
    • Place cards from your deck face down in your Life area equal to your leader’s life.

• Start of Turn
    • Return attached DON!! cards to the Cost Area.
    • Untap Set all your rested cards as active.
    • Draw one card, except on the first player’s first turn.
    • Place two DON!! cards from the DON!! deck to your cost area, one on the first player's first turn.

• Main Phase
      You can do these actions in any order as many times as you like/can afford to do.

• Play cards from your hand.
    • Attach unrested DON!! to your characters or leader.
    • Use a card’s effect on the field.
    • Attack with a leader or character. Both players can’t attack on their first turn. Characters can’t attack they turn they enter the field, think MtG Summoning Sickness.

• End Phase
    • Activate any effects that occur in this phase.
    • Your opponent starts their turn.

Battles
  1. Tap Rest your attacking character/leader and choose either your opponent’s leader or one of their rested characters as a target.
  2. The defender may activate a blocker effect to redirect the attack.
  3. The defender can then play characters or events with Counters to increase the defending character’s power
  4. Compare the power of each card. The attacker wins if they overpower or tie the defender.
    • A defeated character goes to the trash/discard pile.
    • A defeated leader takes one damage; add one card from your life zone to your hand. If you want to activate a drawn Trigger effect, reveal it BEFORE you place it to your hand to avoid disputes!
    • If the defender wins, the attacker doesn't take any penalties. Leaders don't take damage and characters just continue to exist.

Victory Conditions
Victory is yours when you pull one of these off.
  • Successfully attack the opponent's leader when they have no more cards in their Life Zone.
  • Deck them out.
  • Future cards will create new ways to win, stay tuned!

Color Playstyles
These are just general descriptions, who knows what future sets will do to them!
  • Red: Aggro/Beatdown. Of course red has effects focused on attacking sooner and pumping power.
  • Green: Defensive. There are many cards to tap rest your opponent's characters and unrest yours for offensive and defensive plays.
  • Blue: Control. Bouncing characters to hand for fun and profit along with deck manipulation and draw power.
  • Purple: Resource Manipulation. Accelerating and bouncing DON!! to mess the opponent up, also some hand milling.
  • Black: Cost Manipulation. Lowering the cost of cards on the field to wreak havoc. Debuting in set two.
  • Yellow: Life Manipulation. Interacting and rearranging the cards in the Life Zone. Debuts in set three.

Sets and Themes
Each set has cards representing various arcs from the series. Of the ones known so far,
  • Set 1 (Out now!), Romance Dawn. Dressrosa, Wano and Onigashima
  • Set 2 (Q1 2023), Paramount War. The Paramount War, Impel Down, more Wano and some of the movies
  • Set 3 (Q2 2023), Pillars of Strength. Whole Cake Island, Water 7/Enies Lobby and East Blue

Where to Play
Check your local game store and ask if they stock the game or plan to run events. Or check the official website and search your area.

I've heard of an unofficial online simulator but haven't done enough looking into it to talk about it, sorry. Maybe Bandai will make an official app like Digimon has in the future.

Useful Links
The official english website: Keep up with errata'd cards, find the official rulebook, locate tournaments to play in and other news/articles/advertisements.

Official Tutorial Video: For those who like to learn rules by seeing the game in action.

Apple and Android Tutorial Apps: For those who like to learn by playing.

One Piece Top Decks: It's got card leaks from Japanese sets, articles/deck reviews, tournament winning deck lists, there's a bunch of info to be found here.

Nakama Decks: Another site with card lists, translations from future sets and user submitted deck lists.

Discord Server: If someone sets one up, it'll go here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic Mongoose
Aug 5, 2010
I like the game?

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
What kinda deck are you running? I'm currently running a Green Eustass Kid deck, really interested in the new leaders showin up in OP2.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Where the gently caress can I buy this in English. All I see is scalpers on ebay and websites that don't inspire confidence.

You had me at Tony Tony Chopper

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 8, 2023

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Upsidads posted:

Where the gently caress can I buy this in English. All I see is scalpers on ebay and websites that don't inspire confidence.

You had me at Tony Tony Chopper

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

This will not be available at reasonable prices for months.

Don't buy this until September.

For the third time in a row Bandai has bungled their tcg release.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I'm hoping all the manga art isn't held back for varients

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

https://p-bandai.com/us/item/N2696011001001
Even if I never play these are going on a wall

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
Seems like there's going to be reprints of the series 1 stuff + starter decks in April.
We got real lucky and our shop in town only sells stuff at/around retail--but I've had pretty good luck at Target and Barnes & Noble.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
It really is impressive how much they dropped the ball on this. Our store got three boxes for the set 2 prerelease, which was only enough for 12 people, but they sent us prerelease kits/promos for 16 people. How does that even happen?

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah, its been impossible to get here in the UK also. Sucks! Managed to get 3 of the initial starter decks at least

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
https://twitter.com/ONEPIECE_tcg_EN/status/1639267795492896771

Following Japan's lead they're preemptively banning Moby Dick and Cabaji when set three's prereleases happen globally.

Moby Dick because the Whitebeard Pirates gain a searcher card in set three making it a bit too consistently found for Whitebeard's endgame.

Cabaji because he promoted a bit too much solitaire style play for the upcoming Nami leader.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
This got announced like the DAY I built my whitebeard stage deck lol
Got to participate in one of the online regional tournaments with it last weekend, went 5-4.

None of the top 8 whitebeards were using moby dick so I'm changing it up to run strawhats instead.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey so I've been playing and very much enjoying this game. Currently the main deck I run is Smoker, though I have dabbled in Magellan and Kaido. Anyway, over the past few weeks the local meta has heavily skewed toward lots of Blue Doffy (amidst the consistent sea of red decks)...and quite frankly I don't quite know how to counter the doffy match up well...the consistency of them getting extra bodies on the field without having to spend a card just feels very much like an uphill battle for Smoker. So uh, does anyone have any advice for that particular match-up? Any ideas on good cards to include to help with the matchup?

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 11, 2023

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Are the prices safe yet?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Upsidads posted:

Are the prices safe yet?

Are you talking about for boxes? Singles? Anyway I can only speak about here in the US (and specifically in the South Eastern US)

So for boxes prices have stabilized between 100-140 depending on what LGS you buy from, however there is inconsistent distribution (which seems to be worse with LGS's supplied by, Alliance Game Distributers than everything else)

The price for singles is relatively good actually. With the exception of Alternate Arts and Promos most cards are relatively cheap, with the most expensive secret rare cards usually getting to about 30 dollars. (Specifically the 8 drop Katakuri and 5 drop Marco). Generally speaking you can build most tier 1 decks for around 100 dollars on Tcg player (again if you don't care about alt-art cards).

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
That's about what I'm seeing. Seems like shops around me are starting to get more stuff a littttle more consistently, esp prizing for tournament participation and other events. I'm really pumped for Buddy Battles kicking off sometime mid-august.

There's allllso a simulator available that's been pretty cool for trying out new decks before committing to getting some physical cards.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

TheComicFiend posted:

That's about what I'm seeing. Seems like shops around me are starting to get more stuff a littttle more consistently, esp prizing for tournament participation and other events. I'm really pumped for Buddy Battles kicking off sometime mid-august.

There's allllso a simulator available that's been pretty cool for trying out new decks before committing to getting some physical cards.

Seriously that sim is a godsend. I really need to get on it so I can start grinding matches in op04 so I can know what tier 2 deck I will run and lose to Whitebeard with. Probably Blue/Yellow Queen.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
Ha! I'm that Whitebeard scum, but.. nowhere near as dominating as the current Zoro/WB meta I've been seeing.
Also so, so many Katakuris. It's such a weird match-up for me bc I'll neverrr let Soul Pocus take away one of my life cards, but still end up in weirdly close games.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

TheComicFiend posted:

Ha! I'm that Whitebeard scum, but.. nowhere near as dominating as the current Zoro/WB meta I've been seeing.
Also so, so many Katakuris. It's such a weird match-up for me bc I'll neverrr let Soul Pocus take away one of my life cards, but still end up in weirdly close games.

So currently in op03 I'm running Lucci and honestly, I generally let them trash my life, and will often go to 0 life pretty early because I have Borsalino + Blueno + Fukuro as really good blockers that yellow has a hard time getting through because once I'm at 0 life, their 7 cost big moms, 10 drop big mom's and soul pocuses become mediocre at best.

Then I just push in for 7k like 4-5 times in one turn and take them from like 4 life to dead in 1 turn.

But yeah there is a ton of Katakuri in the local meta...its the big events where all y'all WBs and Zoros come out to play.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
Oh, GOD that Fukuro is such a good blocker. He and Blueno are the reason I'm keeping the st01 rush Luffy around.

I had dreams of alternating between Nami and WB but I feel like I need a little more something-something to actually pull it off with her.
Kinda wish they limited that Cabaji card instead of doing a full ban on it.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

TheComicFiend posted:

Oh, GOD that Fukuro is such a good blocker. He and Blueno are the reason I'm keeping the st01 rush Luffy around.

I had dreams of alternating between Nami and WB but I feel like I need a little more something-something to actually pull it off with her.
Kinda wish they limited that Cabaji card instead of doing a full ban on it.

Eh, I played the Cabaji version on the sim a bit...and I got to say I am glad its banned. It is not a fun deck to play against since it just plays solitaire. But to each their own. Its one of those decks I am happy has been relegated, for now, into the high-roll meme deck bracket along with Sanji.

Though, admittedly, I would like Sanji to get some support since I think that is a fun deck to play.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 18, 2023

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Finally got to play. Love that skirmishes actually happen and Yamato is a tough monster
Love the life system

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Upsidads posted:

Finally got to play. Love that skirmishes actually happen and Yamato is a tough monster
Love the life system

Yeah the life system is great. The fact that it sort of acts like a rubber band, giving cards to the person who is behind, definitely helps ensure that games feel close even when they are not.

What deck were you playing Upsidads? Kinemon?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Yamatos preconstructed from Japan he just won't say die!

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
i want to play this game a lot. big mom deck is great and i added more Charlottes and a couple sanjis.

i also want to make a nami deck but after opening an entire booster box i don't even have enough cards for the deck. they should really have some low power genetic all color cards or do more cross flavor dual color cards.

it's nice that each color seems synergistic and has their own goals. i need to look at other sets and spend ten bucks on a hundred dirt cheap singles.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
The only roadblock is finding out how trigger cards go "on the stack" if there even is one. this mostly is puzzling for yellow cards that do the fun life stack shenanigans.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
so, something confusing came up when playing with upsidads, there's cards that say in bold "you may trash X cards in your hand" or something. do you need to trash the card in order to get the effect after the colon?

it doesn't say i need to trash a card to get an effect. it makes sense for black because it has trash pile recursion, but for yellow cards that have that it makes a little less sense.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Party Miser posted:

so, something confusing came up when playing with upsidads, there's cards that say in bold "you may trash X cards in your hand" or something. do you need to trash the card in order to get the effect after the colon?

it doesn't say i need to trash a card to get an effect. it makes sense for black because it has trash pile recursion, but for yellow cards that have that it makes a little less sense.
If it is in Bold before a colon, it is a cost and MUST be done if you want the effect. For example lets say I attack your leader and you take the damage. The top card of your life happens to be a Perospero. If you would like to use its trigger you MUST trash a card. If you choose not to, or don't have a card to trash, you cannot use Perospero's Trigger effect.

Or lets say you want to play the card Thunder Bolt from hand (not as a trigger), you MUST take a card from life into hand to use the effect. So if you have no life, you cannot play Thunderbolt from hand.

Now this is only true of costs. Lets say you play Soul Pocus or Seven Cost Big Mom. These force your opponent to choose whether to let you gain a life, or they must trash a life. If your opponent has 0 life, they can choose to trash a life, and simply fail to do so since they are choosing an effect to occur, not a cost to pay.

Party Miser posted:

The only roadblock is finding out how trigger cards go "on the stack" if there even is one. this mostly is puzzling for yellow cards that do the fun life stack shenanigans.

There really isn't much of a "STACK" in the MTG sense in this game. Triggers occur after the attack is completed so their really isn't too much for it to interact with. However, if two events would somehow happen at the same time (for example a Rob Lucci leader ko's a character with an "ON K.O." effect) the active players effect has to resolve first, then the defending player will resolve their effect. (For example I swing at your leader with Rob Lucci. You block with Boodle. Before you trash a card from the top of your deck with Boodle I MUST decide whether or not to restand my Lucci by trashing 2 cards.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 20, 2023

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Can someone explain to me Inuarashi?
When attacking pay two don set one don as active
What am I missing?

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Upsidads posted:

Can someone explain to me Inuarashi?
When attacking pay two don set one don as active
What am I missing?

You aren't paying two don from the cost area, his effect activates if he has two don attached when he attacks.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Level Seven posted:

You aren't paying two don from the cost area, his effect activates if he has two don attached when he attacks.

does this effect happen for every two don attached or just once? this would massively change how we interpret drake x from the worst generation deck. he's either solid or amazing.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Party Miser posted:

does this effect happen for every two don attached or just once? this would massively change how we interpret drake x from the worst generation deck. he's either solid or amazing.

for those Don!! x1 or Don!! x2 or whatever abilities, those represent the minimum amount of Don!! that must be attached to the character to allow for the effect. Having additional Don!! will not allow that ability to be used more than once. However, if the ability occurs "When Attacking", if you restand the character and have them attack again, you could get the effect again. (once for the 1st attack and once for the 2nd attack)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

thank you very much for the clarification, we have been playing for the last few days and just winging it.

I can not find a store that sells cards for good prices online yet. Local round chicagoland starters can be anywhere from 20 to 35 dollars

prerelease on TCG prices are absolute against the grain goofy speculative prices. Just roll some dice and use that as your price for cards, commons? rares? just make up a number

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
the game feels a bit stalematey when at ten don, is it correct that only the defender can play counter effects?

and yeah, thanks for all the help clarifying the rules that aren't quite obvious

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Upsidads posted:

thank you very much for the clarification, we have been playing for the last few days and just winging it.

I can not find a store that sells cards for good prices online yet. Local round chicagoland starters can be anywhere from 20 to 35 dollars

prerelease on TCG prices are absolute against the grain goofy speculative prices. Just roll some dice and use that as your price for cards, commons? rares? just make up a number

Party Miser posted:

the game feels a bit stalematey when at ten don, is it correct that only the defender can play counter effects?

and yeah, thanks for all the help clarifying the rules that aren't quite obvious

No worries, glad to be of help. And yeah wish I could help you there, most places around here are selling starters for around 15-20. Now don't get me wrong, when our supply was real tight those starter decks went UP in cost for a while.
And yes only the defender can play counter events.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

So guess I'm double posting, but uh...theres been a ban/restricted list update. Note this is only in the English meta at this time.

9 Cost Whitebeard
4 Cost Marco (the blocker)
and Radical Beam have all been restricted to 1 per deck.

I'm unsure how this will playout in the meta, though I imagine it spells good things for Katakuri, Zoro and Law.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
I'm just happy that the only errata that effects the cards i have don't matter because i put them in a blue nami deck where i want to trash everything in my deck anyway.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
It's me, I'm the guy that's really down about the WB restrictions. I loved the setup bc of the do-or-die position I'd be put in and felt like I had a pretty good sense of the endgame. Gonna try to make it work but I feel like I might mostly keep it around for the memories and have to put something else together to stay competitive.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

TheComicFiend posted:

It's me, I'm the guy that's really down about the WB restrictions. I loved the setup bc of the do-or-die position I'd be put in and felt like I had a pretty good sense of the endgame. Gonna try to make it work but I feel like I might mostly keep it around for the memories and have to put something else together to stay competitive.

:smith:

Supposedly a more aggressive strawbeard build is still going to be decently competitive, haven't tested it myself though. So WB likely isn't dead yet.