Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Straw Hat?
Luffy
Zoro
Nami
Usopp
Vivi
Chopper
Robin
Franky
Brook
Jinbei
Carrot
Yamato
View Results

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey so I've been playing and very much enjoying this game. Currently the main deck I run is Smoker, though I have dabbled in Magellan and Kaido. Anyway, over the past few weeks the local meta has heavily skewed toward lots of Blue Doffy (amidst the consistent sea of red decks)...and quite frankly I don't quite know how to counter the doffy match up well...the consistency of them getting extra bodies on the field without having to spend a card just feels very much like an uphill battle for Smoker. So uh, does anyone have any advice for that particular match-up? Any ideas on good cards to include to help with the matchup?

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Upsidads posted:

Are the prices safe yet?

Are you talking about for boxes? Singles? Anyway I can only speak about here in the US (and specifically in the South Eastern US)

So for boxes prices have stabilized between 100-140 depending on what LGS you buy from, however there is inconsistent distribution (which seems to be worse with LGS's supplied by, Alliance Game Distributers than everything else)

The price for singles is relatively good actually. With the exception of Alternate Arts and Promos most cards are relatively cheap, with the most expensive secret rare cards usually getting to about 30 dollars. (Specifically the 8 drop Katakuri and 5 drop Marco). Generally speaking you can build most tier 1 decks for around 100 dollars on Tcg player (again if you don't care about alt-art cards).

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

TheComicFiend posted:

That's about what I'm seeing. Seems like shops around me are starting to get more stuff a littttle more consistently, esp prizing for tournament participation and other events. I'm really pumped for Buddy Battles kicking off sometime mid-august.

There's allllso a simulator available that's been pretty cool for trying out new decks before committing to getting some physical cards.

Seriously that sim is a godsend. I really need to get on it so I can start grinding matches in op04 so I can know what tier 2 deck I will run and lose to Whitebeard with. Probably Blue/Yellow Queen.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

TheComicFiend posted:

Ha! I'm that Whitebeard scum, but.. nowhere near as dominating as the current Zoro/WB meta I've been seeing.
Also so, so many Katakuris. It's such a weird match-up for me bc I'll neverrr let Soul Pocus take away one of my life cards, but still end up in weirdly close games.

So currently in op03 I'm running Lucci and honestly, I generally let them trash my life, and will often go to 0 life pretty early because I have Borsalino + Blueno + Fukuro as really good blockers that yellow has a hard time getting through because once I'm at 0 life, their 7 cost big moms, 10 drop big mom's and soul pocuses become mediocre at best.

Then I just push in for 7k like 4-5 times in one turn and take them from like 4 life to dead in 1 turn.

But yeah there is a ton of Katakuri in the local meta...its the big events where all y'all WBs and Zoros come out to play.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

TheComicFiend posted:

Oh, GOD that Fukuro is such a good blocker. He and Blueno are the reason I'm keeping the st01 rush Luffy around.

I had dreams of alternating between Nami and WB but I feel like I need a little more something-something to actually pull it off with her.
Kinda wish they limited that Cabaji card instead of doing a full ban on it.

Eh, I played the Cabaji version on the sim a bit...and I got to say I am glad its banned. It is not a fun deck to play against since it just plays solitaire. But to each their own. Its one of those decks I am happy has been relegated, for now, into the high-roll meme deck bracket along with Sanji.

Though, admittedly, I would like Sanji to get some support since I think that is a fun deck to play.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 18, 2023

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Upsidads posted:

Finally got to play. Love that skirmishes actually happen and Yamato is a tough monster
Love the life system

Yeah the life system is great. The fact that it sort of acts like a rubber band, giving cards to the person who is behind, definitely helps ensure that games feel close even when they are not.

What deck were you playing Upsidads? Kinemon?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Party Miser posted:

so, something confusing came up when playing with upsidads, there's cards that say in bold "you may trash X cards in your hand" or something. do you need to trash the card in order to get the effect after the colon?

it doesn't say i need to trash a card to get an effect. it makes sense for black because it has trash pile recursion, but for yellow cards that have that it makes a little less sense.
If it is in Bold before a colon, it is a cost and MUST be done if you want the effect. For example lets say I attack your leader and you take the damage. The top card of your life happens to be a Perospero. If you would like to use its trigger you MUST trash a card. If you choose not to, or don't have a card to trash, you cannot use Perospero's Trigger effect.

Or lets say you want to play the card Thunder Bolt from hand (not as a trigger), you MUST take a card from life into hand to use the effect. So if you have no life, you cannot play Thunderbolt from hand.

Now this is only true of costs. Lets say you play Soul Pocus or Seven Cost Big Mom. These force your opponent to choose whether to let you gain a life, or they must trash a life. If your opponent has 0 life, they can choose to trash a life, and simply fail to do so since they are choosing an effect to occur, not a cost to pay.

Party Miser posted:

The only roadblock is finding out how trigger cards go "on the stack" if there even is one. this mostly is puzzling for yellow cards that do the fun life stack shenanigans.

There really isn't much of a "STACK" in the MTG sense in this game. Triggers occur after the attack is completed so their really isn't too much for it to interact with. However, if two events would somehow happen at the same time (for example a Rob Lucci leader ko's a character with an "ON K.O." effect) the active players effect has to resolve first, then the defending player will resolve their effect. (For example I swing at your leader with Rob Lucci. You block with Boodle. Before you trash a card from the top of your deck with Boodle I MUST decide whether or not to restand my Lucci by trashing 2 cards.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 20, 2023

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Party Miser posted:

does this effect happen for every two don attached or just once? this would massively change how we interpret drake x from the worst generation deck. he's either solid or amazing.

for those Don!! x1 or Don!! x2 or whatever abilities, those represent the minimum amount of Don!! that must be attached to the character to allow for the effect. Having additional Don!! will not allow that ability to be used more than once. However, if the ability occurs "When Attacking", if you restand the character and have them attack again, you could get the effect again. (once for the 1st attack and once for the 2nd attack)

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Upsidads posted:

thank you very much for the clarification, we have been playing for the last few days and just winging it.

I can not find a store that sells cards for good prices online yet. Local round chicagoland starters can be anywhere from 20 to 35 dollars

prerelease on TCG prices are absolute against the grain goofy speculative prices. Just roll some dice and use that as your price for cards, commons? rares? just make up a number

Party Miser posted:

the game feels a bit stalematey when at ten don, is it correct that only the defender can play counter effects?

and yeah, thanks for all the help clarifying the rules that aren't quite obvious

No worries, glad to be of help. And yeah wish I could help you there, most places around here are selling starters for around 15-20. Now don't get me wrong, when our supply was real tight those starter decks went UP in cost for a while.
And yes only the defender can play counter events.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

So guess I'm double posting, but uh...theres been a ban/restricted list update. Note this is only in the English meta at this time.

9 Cost Whitebeard
4 Cost Marco (the blocker)
and Radical Beam have all been restricted to 1 per deck.

I'm unsure how this will playout in the meta, though I imagine it spells good things for Katakuri, Zoro and Law.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

TheComicFiend posted:

It's me, I'm the guy that's really down about the WB restrictions. I loved the setup bc of the do-or-die position I'd be put in and felt like I had a pretty good sense of the endgame. Gonna try to make it work but I feel like I might mostly keep it around for the memories and have to put something else together to stay competitive.

:smith:

Supposedly a more aggressive strawbeard build is still going to be decently competitive, haven't tested it myself though. So WB likely isn't dead yet.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Party Miser posted:

new meta is going to be blue nami self deck. thassus oracle from mtg all over again.

Nah, the meta is gonna skew more aggressive. Zoro and Strawbeard as far as the eyes can see. (Which are not good matchups for Nami)

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

So my friends and I want to try this game out because it looks fun. I'm wondering if there's a certain starter (we're each buying one) with a shanks leader card? I think the film set has one but it looks like there's a lot of different shanks cards and it's hard to sort through them.

Yes there is a purple starter with shanks. It is St-05. Now the one thing I'll say about this one is that it used to be hyper affordable but a meta deck, Green/Purple Donquixote Doflamingo, uses the best cards that are in St-05 which spiked the price at a lot of retailers.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Party Miser posted:

when does stuff get reprinted to gently caress the scalpers?

I mean, they announced there will be reprints, but the player base keeps expanding along with the scalping interest.

I'm happy I got into the game when I did, because keeping up with it now seems like a nightmare.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Party Miser posted:

I've only gotten pillars of strength and kingdoms of intrigue because that's all I've found at non bullshit prices. it's really frustrating, but i do have some custom decks that can go hard. i even managed to make the blue nami deck not suck.

I mean, Blue Nami is probably the premier budget deck. Its like 70bucks to build the version that got top 8 at the European Championships from scratch. https://www.optcg.gg/decks/567

As it is, I'm lucky enough to be piloting Sakazuki, since I started playing back in op02 and my first deck was Smoker. Lord knows I wouldn't spend the 400+ to build the deck from scratch now.

Game is still crazy fun, and it just keeps expanding its player base, but man the product issues are really annoying.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 26, 2024

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

The Gallows posted:

I was curious If there was a thread for the game yet and with OP06 starting to trickle out, did anyone get there hand on any product early? I recently built a Green / Purple Doffy and he seems enjoyable but I will definitely need to tweak it.

I have Saka and Gecko built and am currently working on my Queen deck for funsies.

Now did I have to hit 5 different prereleases to get there this past weekend....yeah

Grape Doffy is a fun deck are you going film engine or Donquixote Pirate engine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey check your Walmarts and Targets today. (As well as FLGS and whatever other places) The Three Brother's Ultra Deck came out. 2 of those and 8 cards (4 gecko moria, 4 sabo) is enough to make a tier 1 deck.

even without the gecko or sabo, you can make good blu/y and r/y decks with it needing very few cards to actually get the deck to a tier 1.5 state.

The decks are going fast so if you are even tacitly interested at getting them at MSRP I'd look now.

The deck should be anywhere from 37-41 bux if sold around msrp depending on tax.