Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Problem description: I have a laptop. When the laptop detects movement it freezes and displays "The hard disk drive is protected" via a popup which I've attached. It is the same style of pop-up when I plug in the laptop or when I unplug it and it goes to battery. But uhhh, the HD is an SSD, not an HDD. Kingston rbusns8154p3512gj3 is the drive's name. The freezing is very annoying. I'm sure there's some accelerometer somewhere detecting movement but obviously it's not needed.

Attempted fixes: Googled but there's not much info out there. Someone said to look for phantom hidden drives in device manager which I did but nothing was there. I tried updating windows and let device manager scan for driver updates but got nothing.

Recent changes: None, it's always been like this, embarrassingly for years.

--

Operating system:
Edition Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎11/‎12/‎2022
OS build 19044.2364
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

System specs:

ASUSPRO P5440FA bought it refurbished a while ago
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60GHz 1.80 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.85 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes but the Google gets confused with read/write protection for drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Have you checked Asus' site for driver updates that might not be featured on windows update?

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Geemer posted:

Have you checked Asus' site for driver updates that might not be featured on windows update?

Just checked, it's all up to date. But I did see on the list the Kionix G sensor so I checked device manager and sure enough it's in there! I disabled and it no longer freezes or displays the popup! But it comes back on reboot, so I uninstalled and it comes back, so I checked the box that says delete software on uninstall too and it still comes back on reboot.

edit: deleting the driver .sys file in /system32 did the trick! thanks!

thehandtruck fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 31, 2022

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Awesome! Glad you managed to fix it.