Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

Well snap my silly bands, it's almost 2023!

Only 2000s kids know what it was like to live through the decade that brought us Shrek, 9/11, and your mom's pussy. Sorry I couldn't think of a third thing. Ugg boots. Crop tops. Skytops.

Ok, well most of us were in our teens and 20s back then, but we all do remember the early days of online gaming. Think back to where it all began…

You're 18, living at home, and your mom's pussy is but a distant dream. It's 2000 and you're playing Chu Chu Rocket and PSO. Or it's 2007 and you're setting up your Xbox Live Vision camera to video chat in UNO, show your balls/pussy when get a takedown in Burnout Paradise, or enjoy a relaxing game of TotemBall before burning your house to the ground in frustration.

this game freaking sucked rear end

The point is, in a lot of ways times were better. Yeah, inflation wasn't making it impossible to exist. Your child/pet/partner weren't constantly screaming for a diaper change. And yeah, fascists didn't have the world in a chokehold. But the most important thing was, you had friends you hung out with online, in chat rooms, Other Forums, and on AIM. Or Yahoo instant messenger, if you were some kind of freak. You didn't have to worry about Adulting, (which turns out, you're so bad at) and you had something called "free time" to dick around in online games with friends.

That's the point of this thread. This thread is largely autobiographical for me and, I hope, others who find themselves still reading and looking for more social interaction in their online games, console or otherwise. It's a shame to have all these new Xbox Live and PS+ accounts and consoles that Santa or [insert religious figure] just brought, sitting and collecting dust. Full disclosure: I moved recently and have no friends, a lot of isolation, and a lot of time. I'm not super gregarious but trying my best. I know I could stand to have more social contact, so why not make some chill buds/buddettes/non-buddenaries?

For now, maybe this could be a place where we simply post our screen names, platforms/games of choice, and maybe a blurb about ourselves? I guess I will start and if anyone wants to join in, cool. Grab a bottle of vault, your iPod shuffle with 2008's finest dubstep/ French filter house, and let's jam.

PS+ Extra - ColetteNES
Steam/deck - reptoid fartswiggle
Nintendo online - o'lette friend code SW-1160-3346-2151 but I think I let it lapse and their online game sucks

I like all kinds of games I guess but if I can get it for free on PS+, that's a big bonus. Very into retro and modern and think the PSN feature where you pass the controller back and forth virtually is still incredibly cool. Currently going back and playing games I missed in the last gen, like the Yakuzas, DQXI, etc. I am out of data for the month though because I downloaded a bunch of games and Comcast blows. I live in Mountain Time but am flexible with that. Would like to chill and maybe drink a beer and send a text msg or do some voice chat / play some games with some like-minded folk. Queer/liberals very welcome. PMs open.

if anyone has anything else to add I can put it in the OP.

"See You On the Gaming Battleifelds!! !.."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

It may have taken 16 years but Totemball finally got its own thread.

Repaired Radio
Nov 13, 2017
gently caress you

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Wilkins Micawber posted:

show your balls/pussy when get a takedown in Burnout Paradise

Hell yeah.

Other good memories: getting my buddies together and trolling 12 year-olds whenever there was a free weekend in the latest COD. Felt good to be accused of cheating in a game I didn't even own :q:

I'm on Deep Rock Galactic at random EU times, add me on steam (46181252) and maybe we can delve together. Rock and stone!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Friends require regular interaction and exposure. If you want it to stick, whatever vector you make friends through needs to be something you do every single day. Video games, every single day.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Pouring one out for the month I lost to PSO back in 2001

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hah, one month…

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
See that's the problem, right? Friend groups spring up around one game and for a lot of people, they mostly play 1 or 2 games. I just got out of a year long relationship with FFXIV and need to play some smaller experiences/other RPGs.

This weekend I am going away to look for UFOs so I won't be around but if anyone wants to add me in the mean time, cool.

edit: you can use this space to reminisce of online gaming from days past, if you'd like.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I used to play so much TF2. Always medic because my aim is catastrophically bad but 'follow team around and run away at the right moment' is something I can always do. Man that was good times. Too bad the only dude I used to play with semi-regularly decided to hit me with a really gross sexist joke and then yelled at me for not finding it funny! Stupid dipshit. Still fire it up once in a while but it's chaos out there nowadays.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Part of the reason I quit wow classic a couple years ago was guildies making off-colour Jew jokes. Was kind of a bummer, they were really chill up till then. Fuckin Brits, man.

For the record I’m not Jewish but my grandfather being just one quarter meant he had to go into hiding. I dunno man, just feels like it matters

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

Part of the reason I quit wow classic a couple years ago was guildies making off-colour Jew jokes. Was kind of a bummer, they were really chill up till then. Fuckin Brits, man.

For the record I’m not Jewish but my grandfather being just one quarter meant he had to go into hiding. I dunno man, just feels like it matters

Ew, gently caress. For the record that would not fly in any social circle I've ever been in either.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
sometimes i think it would be fun to have friends to play stuff with again but good lord I just do not have the mental energy or ambition to try to develop or maintain any kind of interpersonal relationships these days. best I can manage when I get home is a few hours of mindlessly watching youtube playthroughs of games im only vaguely interested in.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I hate playing games online with people I don’t already personally know because it’s usually an awful experience, so I only ever touch multiplayer stuff if the stars align and I have a friend to play with.

Most of my time is spent in big single player games. I do like a fightmans though, with all the voice chat and poo poo turned off.

People are garbage. Cherish your friends.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I used to be part of a few tight groups but slowly drifted away and then my IRL friends all got PS4s so we had a good fun couple of years with that but I had no interest in a PS5 so bailed. I haven't had a normal group of people to play with in quite a while but I think my lack of constant gaming schedule hinders that quite a bit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In my experience the only barrier to having a cool time online is that every one is shy. When I played Apex I found that if I would start talking and being chill then others would talk too and it would be rad

But like, these are lovely times, peeps are assholes and honestly it seems like most people don't actually want friends. I've been trying to make just one single new friend for 2 years and it's literally impossible. I've had friends my whole life so this is like, really affecting me lol

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Getting older (mid 30s), having a kid, and being busier generally with life and work has made a lot of my friendships fall off. Not that I was ever someone who was constantly hanging out, but I do miss even semi-regular meet ups for drinks and trivia or board game nights. Online gaming sessions are just so hard to plan now - thankfully my friends who also have kids understand that it’s not quite so easy anymore to setup a multi-hour session lasting into the middle of the night. When I do play online, it’s usually with randoms and the headset stays off. But, I’m definitely down to play with new, like-minded folks who want to chat about movies and sports. I’m weekoldcoke on everything.

Starting Death Stranding during the pandemic and finishing it earlier this year really had a profound effect on me. It perfectly captured that feeling of disconnection and isolation many of us experienced (and are still experiencing!). Helluva game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

hello

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ez3-l-tYkk

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

gently caress those people. Good job leaving that's extremely not cool.

I have lacked friends to game with lately and as such have been hitting up the various games threads to find discords etc to chat with goons.

Did you find any UFOs OP?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Having just recently made an honest, good friend. I can't overstate how important it is to one's mental and emotional health.

Personally I'm a co-op gamer. I dislike the competitiveness inherent in most popular games, and prefer to work together to have fun or overcome a challenge. As someone already mentioned, Deep Rock Galactic is a fantastic example of this. But I'll regularly play things like Killing Floor 2, 7 days to die, or Earth Defence Force 5 for some mindless fun. Or for a bit more thinking I like things like Conquest of Elysium 5 or Total Warhammer (2 or 3).

Having someone that enjoys just relaxing and laughing with you makes so much of a difference... and its hard. People are stressed a lot these days and in manifests in some ugly ways. I know there's a co-op goons discord, but people that'd like to be chill overall could use a space.

I know putting yourself out there is scary though. You never know who is going to turn out mean. But a bit of caution helps a lot in vetting people. For the sake of people that are nervous to make that first step, I'll put myself out here. Got a steam account (Viving or Drakenel, depending on which view you have) that I'll put the code for. Drop a request or a hello, perhaps we'll start finding like minded people again.

Steam friend code:44469976

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Ew, gently caress. For the record that would not fly in any social circle I've ever been in either.

ZeusCannon posted:

gently caress those people. Good job leaving that's extremely not cool.

It's the downside to guilds, you get the package deal and it isn't really worth the effort of changing attitudes if some of the leadership are jerks.

There's lots of laid back happy communities though! I'll gladly join goons in Deep Rock Galactic or even re-install/buy one of the Monster Hunter games again. 46181252 for steam.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

man nurse posted:

People are garbage. Cherish your friends.

My favourite predictable quality of people is, and I say this as the biggest shut-in I know (if I can manage it then what is everyone else's excuse), just how omnipresent the complete lack of, or refusal to use, basic communication skills is. Next thing you know the right (wrong) set of circumstances has caused a simple but important yes/no question between friends of four years to erupt into a week-long diplomatic incident punctuated by manipulative behavior to evade or lie about the question, ad hominem attacks, several separate explicit betrayals of trust, near-suicides from two different people, incessant gaslighting and a complete refusal to discuss events, the poisoning of your few productive hobbies against you, losing 90% of your social group, getting talked down to by e/n's armchair psychologists (for lack of anyone more experienced to ask) over imagined entitlement leaving you questioning reality and feeling like an honest to god alien in your own body, and then you've lost a decade paralyzed by fear of a repeat incident while trying to figure out what happened well enough to even eloquate this much, let alone begin to process any of the whole series of events so contrived that if they were presented to a writer they'd send you packing for how utterly moronic and improbable it all is.

You know. Hypothetically.

On the flipside, fewer social obligations means more video games and as long as I can keep people at arm's length while shooting monsters or whatever the hell, we're probably cool. I've been playing DRG pretty reliably the last couple years and it's fun to offer pointers to anyone looking for them. I occasionally feel a twinge of wanting to play The Forest or Don't Starve which I almost never do but it might be possible to persuade me. Used to do a lot of Warframe but I think that's behind me because I've completely exhausted any non-extrinsic satisfaction from it. Never did finish the back half of Powerwash Simulator.

SFC: 19459110 add me or don't, YMMV

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Working with the public I can say that some people just aren't good at communicating in general. Like - the number of times a day I want to interrupt to say 'what exactly is your question?' is amazing.

Friend code! Please add me if you like. I will definitely forget to come back here and check for more numbers.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
I think this is good. We have identified a need that a lot of us have as well as some of the driving factors, namely a lack of time, energy, unsureness/unease, etc. It's something that should be a lot easier but face it--its hard making friends in your thirties. Even online, apparently.

To one degree or another, it sounds like most of us could use at least a little more social interaction. But many of us aren't looking to make like super deep long friendships because they don't have the time to commit. Which is ok because there are others in that same boat.

And there are things we agree on, like it sucks playing with pubbies, people can suck at communicating, and sometimes all it takes is like one person talking to make everyone join in. I would add that we are all looking to get as much as we can out of our games, given the length of our backlogs and how busy we are. Yeah it's good to chill and relax with a game alone but I know I'm missing out on a bunch of games I wanted to play and the social experiences that come with them.

It's good to see people at least talking about this in one place and not talking past eachother because I have been looking for a non game-specific thread for making buddies for what seems like years. Don't be surprised if I add those I can from this thread and/or drop you a line. We have to just make it happen.

Precision, don't moan. What's your gamer name/info?

Oh yeah I didn't see any UFOs and Roswell seems like a kinda crappy town.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Hello maybe-friends I too like to play video games. I play a lot of War Thunder which is its own thing, but I will 100% play Conquest of Elysium 5 with anyone, along with maybe anything else

steam friend number 25687148

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Ok Turkeys. I added a bunch of you on Steam. Still looking for more console buddies but eh, what are you gonna do? I guess no one else is interested so mods you can unsticky this if you want.

Oh yeah I realized Steam works off friend codes, so here is mine, and my PSN again for good measure. Best to all :tipshat:

SFC: 32842967
PSN: ColetteNES

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

you can add me on steam if you want. 7519408

Mochabeard
Nov 9, 2020

Posture Check! :cool:

I also like playing video games with like minded people.

Steam friend code: 77690387

I play a lot of different games and always willing to give a new game a go, main games I’m playing right now are Dota 2, Tarkov, and recently just installed Star Citizen.
I also enjoyed playing games along the lines of ck3, HOI4, Victoria 3.

Tried to play wrath classic but it’s pretty boring without friends, originally from Scotland but ended up moving to California so time zones practically killed any gaming with IRL friends.

Feel free to add me if you need an extra homie

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!
I mostly play single player games but I like to boot up Rust and wouldnt mind playing some Quake. I'm always down for older games.

Steam: 376295551

lolman
Jan 7, 2023

a real newbie
I play marauders and cs source
Steam: 835931810

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

Quake, Quake Champions, Nuclear Throne (still not looped), L4D2, Death Road to Canada, BoI. Haven't finished Dungeon of the Endless yet, been meaning to at least finish the main mode.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Are you looking forward to Endless Dungeon coming out? I dont know if that got stuck in development hell or something all I remember is Sega picked it up and a trailer

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Wilkins Micawber posted:

See that's the problem, right? Friend groups spring up around one game and for a lot of people, they mostly play 1 or 2 games. I just got out of a year long relationship with FFXIV and need to play some smaller experiences/other RPGs.

See, my problem has always been that I've never been able to find groups, or even individuals, to play with regularly. I don't think I've ever even played a single multiplayer game to completion with a friend to completion since, I dunno, the original Streets of Rage? It's probably why I've also never gotten much out of MMOs. They're all about group experiences and I've never been part of one of those groups, except as a peripheral member at best.

I told a friend of about 14 years to go gently caress himself last year, because he started getting into a bunch of that poo poo. It came to a head when he started posting poo poo, culminating in that 'to know who rules you, see who you can't criticize' quote (if anyone is unaware, it's a huuuuuuge anti-semetic dogwhistle, usually passed off as a quote from Voltaire, actually made by a neo-nazi convicted for child abuse). It was plastered over a page from Maus, of all things as well. I asked him what he meant, he replied 'if you know, you know', I said 'nuh-uh, we're adults, don't dodge the question, say what you mean' and he gave a mealy-mouthed 'well it sounds like you've made your mind up with that ADL-tier propaganda you're spouting'. So I said cool, go gently caress yourself.

I'm not Jewish, no Jewish ancestry AFAIK, but some things, you just can't let slide. And I'm Scottish, so I promise you, not everyone in the UK is a piece of poo poo.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Do you take screenshots and have a large wishlist on Steam? Wish someone actually saw those? Add me! I look at my activity feed sometimes and enjoy seeing others' screenshots. I like seeing "5 friends wishlisted this game". Maybe I get an extra copy from a bundle and you get it, who knows.

Steam friend code:

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jan 10, 2023

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

ZeusCannon posted:

Are you looking forward to Endless Dungeon coming out? I dont know if that got stuck in development hell or something all I remember is Sega picked it up and a trailer

It's had pre-pre-pre beta playtrsts on Amplitudes site a couple of times last year. Some elements very promising, some poorly explained and mysterious. Very hopeful overall.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Hello Friend thread I would like to say that the friend thread has been a rousing success and that I have done friendship activities with Drakenel, specifically we played a game of Conquest of Elysium 5 and got hosed up by the computer. It was very enjoyable and I'm excited to play again!

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Yeah, a modified version of this tends to be my experience - I join a goon group based around one particular hyperfixation game and it's really fun, until the hyperfixation burns out after a few months/a year or two and then I have nothing to talk about with anybody, so I'm just stranded in the wilderness without anybody to talk to for a couple of weeks.

I'll probably get sucked into the hyperfixation vortex again soon enough, but might as well try to make the effort for a more lasting set of buddies. Steam Friend Code is: 108549659

Jossar fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 13, 2023

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

ZeusCannon posted:

Looks like it could be worth a play, if it keeps the style and unique...ness... of the series. Hard to be sure from the trailer, but here's hoping it's decent.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Even putting IRL poo poo aside, i miss the days of super popular SA where you had a readymade community of thousands of people to play any game with whenever. Now you jump through dead discord hoops then end up on reddit anyways.

PSN: EffEmmEll

Currently futzing around in Diablo 2 and Modern Warfare 2, looking to futz about Armored Core soon, and diablo 4/street fighter 6 maybe after that. Hard left turns only :)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

My brother bought me Starcraft 2 for Christmas and I'm really enjoying co-op with him. I would like to play co-op with more people, but I generally don't do voice chat. Where could I go to post to see if anyone wants to play with me? I'm still testing all the commanders and leveling them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Great to see engagement with this thread and thanks for the friend adds. Especially glad to see some PSN users. Send me a message some time. "EffEmmEll" on PSN, I can't find you. Also I didn't know you can just send screenshots to friends on steam, I'll have to give that a try. Everyone here is great.