Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Roadie posted:

- stealing is bad
- then, when the goalposts shift because everyone running tradgames steals art for home use all the time: stealing is bad, but only when you don't credit the artist
- then, when the goalposts shift because crediting art in your home game is stupid and/or you can stick to unarguably licensed/public-use sources like Firefly: using generative art is bad because it tangentially normalizes the replacement of real artists and you are obligated to only ethically participate in society

It's this. At the end of the day this is clearly about people being scared of the transformative impact AI is going to have on all of our lives in the near future and are clutching at straws to find justifications for not wanting to be reminded about it, because it's scary. And to be fair, it is terrifying. A lot of people, not just artists, are going to lose their jobs. This whole thing is going to be the biggest change to society since at least the internet. There's absolutely no guarantee that any of this is going to end up being good for people as a whole.

But I don't think letting a loud obnoxious angry minority bully the forum into siloing legitimate content in a containment thread and slapping a bunch of warning stickers on it is the way to go. This forum is for discussing tabletop games, not the impact AI is going to have on society. There are legitimate ethical concerns with Wizards of the Coast too. While we have a specific thread for D&D content, we don't ban people from ever talking about D&D outside of that thread, and we don't demand that the OP of the D&D thread contains a summary of the various ethical concerns people have with Wizards of the Coast. If people are scared and mad about AI and want to talk about that, tell them to take it to an appropriate forum for it. And if they can't hold themselves back from being loud and angry and off topic about it whenever AI happens to come up in a legitimate context, punish them until they stop doing it. Letting a handful of loud obnoxious posters dictate terms is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I don't really have a favourite artist. They're all kind of interchangeable meatbags to me.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I term I like to use is "actionable backstory". There's a trick to writing concise backstories that provides interesting material for the GM to work with.