Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
so is this the place to talk about how I'm using chatgpt, bing, and other ai to play along with my solo ironsworn game or.....?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

kas posted:

Honestly, it feels like things are more or less wrapping up on this iteration of the thread as the new policy for this subforum is hashed out, so I mean, yeah, that'd be awesome, but you'll probably want to post em again in whatever thread likely replaces this one in the near future, too.

I suppose I'll copy and paste then.

I dunno what all the arguing is about but I'm uninclined to scrollback.

I'm using a combination of different AIs to run ironsworn. I've been obsessed with getting AI to be my DM since chatgpt4 was released, and I've had varying levels of success. All my testing led me to solo ttrpg which I hadn't heard of before, and I just wanted to talk to other peeps doing similar things.

I'm still testing out exactly how to play, but currently I'm experimenting withing using chatgpt4 as my main "DM" or "oracle", various types of other chats with both chatgpt3 or 4 depending (I have a plus subscription). I use bing to clarifying rules for me, or discuss plot points, and just recently I've been experimenting with using Character.ai to run my secondary character (I was primarily using chatgpt3 for this but I wanted to explore other websites)

I'm using a combination of paper and googlesheets to keep progress, and I'm having a blast tbh

Images below showing bits of the process.

All my recent game chats with chatgpt

I have a travel journal I started with, I just upgraded to a full size cuz the little one ain't cutting it. I am planning on keeping it for traveling purposes.

another shot of the journals

my sidekick I don't want to make all the decisions for, previously I was using just chatgpt to narrate for him

chat showing I'm using my made up character for my secondary guy.

I use chatgpt to flesh out the lore, and plan out hooks or things I'm doing in advance, or tie loose ends together as well. I write down bullet points, and put bigger fleshed out versions on my sheets

Anyways, anyone else doing similar? what are you doing?

edit: added googlesheets screenshot

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Kestral posted:

It's funny, I'd never considered using ChatGPT as an adjunct to Ironsworn oracles, since the oracles are so spooky-good.

I actually use it to narrate for me and as a oracle enhancer sometimes, like this:

quote:

Ivar is an infiltrator so he sneaks into the enemy perimeter and makes gather information move. He misses. The oracle says "it wastes resources" so I probably lose another supply)

I usually set up the scene and ask it to narrate. I'll sometimes ask it to decide but I mostly prefer using it and the oracles tbh

Kestral posted:

This is the first I've heard of Character.ai, what's your experience with it been like?

I've experimented with using public characters but it seems that private is better for custom characters.

The benefit to doing this and over Chatgpt3 or 4 is that the character retains some "memory" of themselves cuz it's built in (you can give them a base memory or default chats for it to reference). It's been going pretty well, sometimes he makes weird decisions and I just ignore them, and gloss over them in my narration to him.

Like with all current chat ais, it has limited context memory so I structure the way I'm speaking to it to remind it what is happening, and retweak memory as I go.

The website itself.... They recently monetized, the ai quality fluctuates, and the site will go down a lot on weekends because everyone is trying to gently caress the chatbots and off work and school etc.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Communist Thoughts posted:

E I use poe.com nowadays coz it's much faster (for now) and you can make your own bots like CAI
It doesn't have text to speech which isn't a big deal or the ability to regenerate without deleting and retrying which is actually kinda a big deal and annoying but CAI is slow as hell these days so it's still easier to use

Nice, I was wondering when a contender might pop up. I'm over c.ai tbh, I'll give this one a go

As to the angry people over us using ai images, I too vote to let them be angry and just talk around them.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Fuzz posted:

You can also use it as a notebook for your campaign by defining the rules and bounds of your story, and then literally telling it to remember X, Y, or Z. It can then act likea smart notebook where you can ask it, "what was the name of that guy we met in the treetop village who claimed to have details about the king's murder?" and it'll parse your notes and actually give you an answer immediately.

* - so Adobe claims.

I've tried to do this with very middling results, I and typing out huge narratives and the text just becomes overwhelmed fairly quickly, and I noticed it was dropping or ignoring details (chatgpt4 is better of course, but still eventually having the same issue)

I was using chatgpt to summarize the ongoing narration but after doing this for a few weeks I personally opted to just write bullet notes down in my journal, have a section for inventory, and a separate section for "loose ends" so I can tie story back to things I didn't have an answer for yet. I have "lore" paragraphs I decided on pasted into my sheets document in case I have to paste it to any of the bots for narration purposes. Hopefully further updates to chatgpt4 give it better memory without huge API costs.

ymmv of course, maybe my prompt sucked, but overall having it try to be my "tracker" was underwhelming

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I'm back with a trip report for using chatgpt3.5, Character.ai, and Poe for my secondary character I'm trying to purposefully run with AI.

Chatgpt3.5 was the most frustrating out of these guys, as it often made up stuff as the DM or as my other character

This was a chat I was using with chatgpt3.5 before I started trying to find alternatives, it was a bit long at this point and no matter how I tried to tell the bot to ONLY roleplay as Ivar, it kept doing whatever it wanted.

I showed you all the character.ai thing I was doing, and it was working "okayish" but honestly I really dislike the website, and didn't want to keep using it.

Poe so far has worked out well, the only thing is I *HAVE* to type "(do not say what happens, only respond as Ivar)" at the very end of each entry, but with that its working PRETTY well. I coach the ai with the way I talk, and insert context clues in the narrative and its going a lot better than my other attempts.

The narration tends to get a little repetitive but I'm going to see if I can coach him out of responding like that with the way I write and some (ooc).

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
the creator of ironsworn is also against AI and disallows it on their discord completely lmao (I completely expect them to chime in here tbh)

My goodness this hardcore gatekeeping is rough.

Hey if anyone is using AI to be their "game master" DM me, I'm interested in having a space to talk about it without people jumping down my throat about the ethics because I don't really give a gently caress about the ethics

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I was just posting my experiences on their discord, trying to spark some conversation about the way I'm using chatgpt right now to run my ironsworn games. They have a blanket ban on AI talk on the discord, so I left it and tried the reddit and the creator announced hes against AI in general (boo)

Anyways, some people DID respond with how they are using similar systems to play.
I personally am having good traction with setting up a game like this:

quote:

Hello Chatgpt. Today I want you to be my ironsworn DM.

I will provide you with contextual information, and you will describe next what happens.

Eamon: Background: Once a blacksmith in the small village of Forgehaven, now a wanderer seeking justice and rebuilding after a devastating raid. Ethnicity: Durrain (a blend of Celtic and Norse influences).

"Beginning scene: a town named forgehaven lies in ruin the ironlands, having been hit by raiders in the early morning.

Eamon crawls out of the wreckage, and starts looking around for other survivors"

Please describe these scene in the third person, describing the ruin that Eamon sees and providing some background context and narrative as a DM would for the game of ironsworn

I've been running a lot of different tests on different websites, and I know other people are out there doing similar things, but the incredibly annoying blowback against any AI discussion touching peoples precious games has been derailing conversations everywhere I've tried.

Yes I understand your issues with the ethics. Can I talk to other people about how to play my stupid solo rpg and make images for it now?
Since I bought all the books and poo poo for the system I'm not going to toss them out the window just because the creator doesn't agree with me. Just gimme a spot to entice others to talk about it drat.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

feedmyleg posted:

I've tried it but found that its "memory" is too short for it to be much fun for long. The illusion is really compelling for a bit, but as soon as you hit it forgetting key details and hallucinating things that don't fit with the narrative you've been in a few times, it feels less like playing a game and more like writing fiction. And constantly having to remind it of the "rules" and summarize play feels tedious and frustrating. There's a model that OpenAI is testing that ups the memory from 4000 tokens to 16,000 tokens which feels much better for these purposes, though, so maybe it'll be a better experience soon.

That's the thing, you can expect it to do this much (yet)

I personally am using it to help my narration, expand on oracle stuff, and introduce elements I hadn't thought of otherwise to once again, great success.

It cannot DM fully for you, but it certainly assists.

Another user in the reddit thread mentioned using the API feature and I've asked them to expand on it in DM.

Also wondering if anyone has experience doing something similar with novel.ai or other AIs.

Doctor Zero posted:

Fourth, it doesn’t like violence. If you force the matter it will say stuff like “seeing how outnumbered they are, the pirates quickly surrender.”

Even with all that it’s still a very useful assistant. But it’s not able completely GM anything, at least not yet.

Yes exactly this, a lot of people get really up in arms when people try to talk about it as replacing the GM but it's just not there yet.

Also I just wanted to say that by using the narrate this, I had no trouble having a fight scenes or violent scenes, as long as I'm using the "narrate this" and Oracle structuring rolls as negative :airquote:

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I use ChatGPT to come up with names and countries/political styles/economics. It's easier than rolling off random tables for me and I can ask it to describe them if any are more interesting. I don't use it for DMing per se, but it speeds up prep a ton.

It definitely is good for inspiration in this sense, especially with a little guided context.

Bucnasti posted:

The players in my DnD game get weirdly fixated on random mundane stuff, and tend to gloss over actual important plot and worldbuilding things.
A location in the dungeon they're exploring right now is a wizards laboratory and I know they'll get obsessed with reading every book.
So I used ChatGPT to generate books for me, and I told it specific world items and dungeon hints to include in some of them. I'm really happy with the results.

-snip-

I'm hoping they'll make the connection that the magical doo-dad they found in another room has 32 symbols on it and realize that they're related to the zodiac. Althouth the way they operate I wouldn't be surprised if they spent all their time trying to figure out what the bookbinding was made of.

I am not in a place yet where I want to DM, but I was considering down the line after I've run a few solo cycles in ironsworn or similar I might try to.

Do you use it actively while playing or is this all prep for you?

edit: my biggest frustration (probably everyones frustration) is the memory context lacking even in the "better" chatgpt4 model, but once you disconnect from trying to get it to be your DM completely, and use it more as an assistant, is where it shines rn

I've been meaning to gently caress around with some of those plugins for chatgpt 4 that allow reading from a PDF, but I haven't bothered yet since my current method is working fairly decently with mild corrections

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Fuzz posted:

There's chat AIs you can run on your home machines... you guys know that, right? They don't end up having the short memory limitations like Chatgpt.

I -might- be wrong, I'm not super tech savvy, but from my short foray into the "can I run it" the answer is no, and getting a machine that can will cost me upwards 2k and I'm here trying to nickel and dime chatgpt plus to avoid using the api sooooo

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Bucnasti posted:

None of this is stuff you need ChataGPT for, it could be done with many random generators available, but what I like is that it's really fast, I just tell it what I want, I don't have to go looking for a specific chart or table or anything and it spits out good enough content for my purposes.

yeah, for me its all about the ease of accessibility. When I'm running my "mobile" version of simplified ironsworn on the go I just have two tabs open on my phone, the character sheet and the chatgpt window. I prefer my other way of playing, sitting down at the computer with my notebook and everything else + chatgpt and other AI open.

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, I can't believe that ChatGPT hasn't implemented the editing feature yet. It goes a LONG way in helping maintain consistency.

I really hope they get around to doing this, I am doing periodic "summarize this" but depending on how long I've been "running" a session it will often mess up details or leave some out, so I "remind" it on the next message, the edit would be a godsend.

Repaired Radio posted:

One of my favorite parts of AI is that I don't have to pay artists if I want work done in their style. What's everyone favorite artists to try and replicate the style of using AI tools?

the one where instead of going to google and finding a image that sorta matches that somebody already made, I can have a more direct result with my solo rpg that I'm not sharing with literally anyone else but other hobbiests. That one.
Just like this:

Here Chatgpt interpreted my structured roll, I thought it was really funny so I fed the entire scene to bing to get this result:

Would you like to have a discussion about how accessibility is making this process incredibly therapeutic for me, a veteran with PTSD and other issues that doesn't feel comfortable in social situations with almost anyone, except through the safety of forums and the internet. Would you like to have a conversation about poverty, privilege and accessibility? no? I wouldn't in the AI tools for traditional games thread, personally.

edit: mixed up my AIs

feverish and oversexed fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 18, 2023

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

The Eyes Have It posted:

On this topic, one little niche I found it does very well with is little bits like this:

• In D&D 5e, what would be a reasonable DC number and applicable skill for [thing a player wants to attempt]?
  • In D&D 5e, the players approach a scholar named Vril to learn more about how to break a curse. Vril is a curt man who values getting a job done as quickly as possible for maximum reward. Here is how Vril responds to the players, and what he is thinking:

Basically an assistant that needs no appreciable amount of time to think.

having discovered more games exist besides ironsworn, I'm using Chatgpt4 currently to simply narrate my current run of "thousand year old vampire" and its actually doing really well since you "lose memories". I've been plugging in my ongoing character sheet, then how I interpreted the roll (or how I want the roll to be interpreted), and it paints the scene for me.

I've been boring my partner by talking about it, its basically like an open-world interactive book and its really fun and mitigates some of the issues I was having with other games and the token memories

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

The Eyes Have It posted:

I also thought that these tools would be great to narrate something like Ironsworn, but for me it was just an idea -- I'm glad to hear you tried it out and got good results!

I actually developed a pretty good system to use with it, but I and an interaction with the creator about Ai and I'm petty and its tainted the game for me.

Thankfully I literally had 0 ideas that there was 1) so many other types of games in this genre, and 2) this poo poo is incredibly hackable so I'm just going to make my own version that's better for me that is designed to work with Ai.

I was sitting there the other day "well, what are my favorite aspects in a game?" and then I was like... why not just put those mechanics into one game... and now I have multiple new journals an-

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
Giving it a "outline" and "structure" is honestly the only way to go without it being generic poo. After you've given it some "coaching" or prompting or whatever it does a pretty good job at maintaining that narration as well (I'm always referring to chatgpt4, exclusively).

Also brainstorming is great with it, just as a sounding board for my own ideas has really helped.

I've used it to playtest new mechanics as well, where I am the DM and it is the "player" with middling success, needed some direction to understand my mechanics.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
everytime I try to talk to people about using chatgpt for gaming everyone says its really boring and sucks etc (I agree to an extent)

I don't use chatgpt to do everything for me. I TELL it what to do. I give it an outline for a scene and tell it to narrate it for me. It works really well at that.

quote:

"I look around for food and roll a weak hit. This ends my first day. I find some sort of food, enter the farmhouse, and retire for the night"

and it gives me

quote:

"As the golden hues of the sunset start to paint the sky, you feel your stomach grumble. The excitement and events of the day have left you famished. You look around, using your foraging skills to find something edible in the wild growth around the property.

Among the overgrowth, you spot something. A small bush, teeming with bright, ripe berries. You carefully pick a handful, the sweet aroma wafting up as you do. It's not a feast, but it's enough to tide you over. You pocket the berries and head towards the house.

Stepping inside, you're greeted by a sight that reflects the outside - a fixer-upper. Dusty furniture, peeling wallpaper, creaking floorboards. But amidst the disarray, you see a home waiting to be loved.

You clear a small space on the wooden table and sit down, unpacking your belongings. The assorted dried bugs, the margarita mix, the day-old bread, and the freshly picked berries. An unusual meal, but a meal nonetheless. As you eat, you look around, imagining what the place could look like, what it could feel like.

You then find a less dusty corner of the house, lay down your coat, and settle in for the night. Despite the hard floor, you find yourself drifting off to sleep quickly, lulled by the distant sounds of the river. It's been a long day, full of new experiences, new people, new beginnings. As your eyes close, you think of what tomorrow will bring, and for the first time in a long time, you feel at peace.

Day 1 in Iron Valley comes to a close, marking the beginning of your new life in this charming town. The adventure has only just begun."

I don't write all this down, its just like...a interactive book for my games. Also it remembered the random poo poo I had in my bag and I ATE IT?? Okay that made me lol. I'll keep that lore.

I think other people believe I'm having it be my whole rear end game master but you can't really do that effectively, but it works well as a sort of "assistant" imo. I do believe this will get better over time but for now this works well for me.

I've also been using it to playtest a oneshot rpg I'm making and that worked to get a feel for how the game might run for someone else, and helped me isolate some rule issues I needed to tweak

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
OpenAi removed the browsing plugin from plus users which I HEAVILY used.

All of my chats where I was using the browsing feature defaulted to 3.5 instead of 4 for whatever reason and boy am I salty about it lmao.

I have to restart all chats to have a better generator behind it and now I'm going to have to do summaries and poo poo and- restarts everything instead

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Kestral posted:

For the Stable Diffusion crowd, has anyone else run into a problem with After Detailer where it will try to turn people's hands into faces? :psyduck: I had great luck with ADetailer on my first couple of serious "learn how to SD" projects, but now it's just going berserk and I can't figure out why.

No but can I see this please lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Kestral posted:

BE NOT AFRAID (of the facehands)

What's really funny (and infuriating) is that you can see it happening in the step preview. It'll get through the initial generation, then After Details will take over and zoom in on each hand, and you get to watch it transform them into this:

this is about what I was imagining, perfect. Hopefully someone can help you with some hands-on experience, I'm not familiar with stable diffusion myself.