Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Leperflesh posted:

Well, I have to admit I'm a little surprised. I'm generally posting in favor of keeping this thread and challenging the arguments against use of AI art and text in the feedback thread, but if folks here feel like it's a lost argument anyway, I don't know what I'm supposed to do really.

LOL did you read the thread? It's a thread for people who are fanatically against using AI generators for anything and thinks it's immoral.

I kinda like to argue so I'm tempted to post my views in there but it's just gonna rile people up and accomplish nothing if theyr all already discussing whether they should bully people off the board or just ban them for posting their AI pics of NPCs.

E I don't think it's a "lost argument" just a pointless one, AI is already quarantined to this thread but that's not enough for these people? Just tell them to gently caress off imo.

Banning it from the whole site is a stupid idea, it clearly drives some people up the wall though so fine give them spaces to not see it.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jun 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

you're doing your best, this topic is a hornets nest tho

you don't really get to hear from artists who use these tools because they'll be dogpiled and blacklisted so hard
so you only hear from either anxious artists who've never used them or the friends of anxious artists

i do think some acceptable open source version of them is basically inevitable. the possiblities for your own projects are too great.
at some point i'll try and figure out how to make my own open source SD model based on my own art and finally become a one-man comic studio. then i'll be the one laughing, i never did have to learn how to draw a horse or a foot!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Might be a derail but I hear rutibex mentioned all the time but have no idea who that is, what's the deal there?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

That rutibex post is a real doozy

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

You could put a disclaimer like "Yes this subject can be controversial, take that to these threads. Don't poo poo up this thread."

The thing is, the "controversy" doesn't relate to using these tools personally for TG gaming.
The two points against it are about ethics and creativity.

It's not unethical to directly use someone's art for your home dnd game, let alone use an abstracted amalgam of it.
Creativity wise it clearly can be used creatively so it descends into a pointless argument about what is and isn't art.

So if you want an OP with all that stuff you are gonna have to get someone who hates the thread to write it because otherwise it's gonna be one of us writing it sarcastically or you mods writing an even handed but completely out of place OP about ethics in order to avoid a discussion of... Ethics.
I don't mind the first option though if we can all just move on and post anyway with a funny hostile OP but you'd need to probe thread shitters.

E you could have the op point to the generators that are trained on images that are fully open license and whatnot but I still don't think it's an ethical issue to use copyrighted stuff - or even some theoretical artwork the artist has insisted nobody else is allowed to use in their dnd game - in your personal hobbies

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 11, 2023

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

CAI can also do text to speech so it's pretty fun if you can find a good dm voice.

I ran a Cy_borg game with me and my partner with an AI DM and it worked pretty well, you'd just have to regenerate every time it tried to godmode or play your own character.

We would roll dice irl then tell the result to the AI e.g. Cyberdave rolls a 3 and fails his attack, firing wide with the smg.

The final boss was a weird AI that was described as a gross orb leaking white fluid that was DEFINITELY some sublimated horny poo poo from all the users trying to gently caress it, but it worked in the context and I'm gonna have that gross orb reappear in my own games. It liked being in a box like a cat.

E I use poe.com nowadays coz it's much faster (for now) and you can make your own bots like CAI
It doesn't have text to speech which isn't a big deal or the ability to regenerate without deleting and retrying which is actually kinda a big deal and annoying but CAI is slow as hell these days so it's still easier to use

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 12, 2023

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

think of the copyright holders the next time you make a picture to amuse your friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

A lot of bad DMs just completely ignore all the characters backstory in order to tell the tale of the cursed tiara or whatver they were planning to tell going in, so probably a lot of players don't see the point

When I'm dming I consider everything the players come up with to be the primary source and all my stuff is secondary but a lot of DMs are the opposite