Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Rutibex posted:

Yeah I don't see working with AI to be like a designer at all. It's more like exploring the Caves of RNG, searching for hidden treasures. You don't know what you'll find!

Thus far, I've experienced it be not dissimilar to how I'd use a deck of tarot cards to help me brainstorm when I was writing. Stuck in resolving a chapter? Unsure what happens next? Don't know where to go? Just lay out three cards and see if the combination of random imagery and symbolism jogs anything and gets the writing going again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Rutibex posted:

:v:
Yeah I read most of it as it came out of the AI, some stuff I regenerated and its already gone. But It still needs a lot of editing.

Yeah, just at a glance, I've noticed it's got a spell called "Emerald Ray of Reversal" about 4 times, listed as a 6th, 3rd, and 4th level spell.

Which is about on par with the machine, despite being fed two of my previous novels featuring the same setting and characters for my "experiment", being unable to remember the gender of the novel's protagonist, regularly mixing up the protagonist and antagonist factions, continually trying to introduce spaceships into a low magic fantasy "swords and cellphones" setting, repeatedly misunderstanding the personality and temperment of the protagonist (think trying to write Elric of Melniboné as though he were Caramon Majere), and, somewhat worringly, trying to write a female lesbian character as if she were male.

It can certainly produce a lot of prose, but how much of it is useful to the story or coherent without a lot of editing is debatable, and the RoI on editing out 90% of the unusable and rewriting the remaining 10% to be less purple and to vibe with the previous sections vs. just writing what's in my head...

I like it for brainstorming, and it's fun to play with, but for doing the actual work? Not so much...