Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.
Chat GPT is a pretty cool/fun tool to use to analyze and present the motivations and ideals of characters you have written. Here is the backstory I wrote for a villain of mine called Kor, Taker of Widows.

Pics (Disclaimer: Not AI Art, They Are Actual Artist Commissions)

Here is my villain backstory written by me:
"Kor was the son of Gor, chieftain of the Agarians, a barbarian tribe in the region of the world known as the “Barbarian Lands”. Growing up, Kor was willing to do anything to prove his strength. By the time he was fourteen, he was already a fearsome warrior, favoring the greataxe. As a young man, Kor became the chief war leader and enforcer for his father. He led many raids on other tribes especially against their mortal enemies the Terveri.

Soon after Kor grew into manhood, Gor arranged a bride for his son. He was to marry Thesna, daughter of Eretil, chieftain of the Franes, for the price of seven cows. Shortly after making this arrangement Gor passed away peacefully in his sleep and was honored with a great feast. Kor was still mourning his father’s death when he learned that Eretil had broken his promise to marry his daughter Thesna to Kor. He was instead planning to marry her to Agaric, chieftain of the Terveri.

Kor gathered his warriors and led a raid into the great hall of the Franes, killing many as they slept. Eretil awoke in time to meet Kor in battle, but the old chieftain was brutally defeated by the powerful Kor.

Kor brought Thesna and Ilva, the widow of Eretil, out naked before his warriors. Kor boldly declared that he was “Kor, Taker of Widows''. He and his warriors plundered all the gold and treasures of the Franes, including their livestock and returned to their homes rich in the spoils of their conquest.

When the Terveri heard news of this conquest, Agaric came to confront Kor. He entered Kor’s great hall demanding that he release Thesna and give her to him as Eretil had promised. He demanded that Kor release Ilva as well. In response, Kor had his warriors butcher Agaric's men. Kor’s warriors disarmed him and restrained Agaric. Kor then told Agaric that he was going to “cut off his head and drink from his skull” as he decapitated him with one fell swing of his greataxe.

Kor rallied his warriors and plundered the Terveri of their women, treasures and livestock. The few Terveri warriors that remained to resist them were disheartened by the loss of their chieftain and surrendered. Kor had each man executed and razed the Terveri village to the ground.

Kor, now confident in his supremacy, adopted an ox skull mask as a symbol of his strength. He pillaged neighboring tribes forcing them to pay tribute to treasure, livestock and daughters.

Kor, Taker of Widows, is now one of the most feared chieftains in the Barbarian Lands known far and wide for his strength and brutality."

Here is Chat GPT after I fed it the story I wrote and writing a scene in which Kor explains his life philosophy:

In the dimly lit war tent, the air thick with the scent of sweat and the faint remnants of battle, Kor sat upon a makeshift throne, his imposing figure enhanced by the eerie glow of torchlight. His ox skull mask adorned his face, casting a haunting shadow upon his features. Surrounding him were his trusted lieutenants, battle-scarred warriors who had witnessed the extent of his ruthlessness and power.
Kor: (in a low, gravelly voice) Brothers, listen well, for I shall share with you the essence of my life's philosophy.
The warriors leaned in, their eyes fixed on Kor, their anticipation palpable.
Kor: (his gaze sweeping across his audience) We are the Agarians, forged in blood and fire. We are the embodiment of strength, unyielding in the face of adversity. We conquer and we dominate, for that is our nature. We take what is rightfully ours, and we crush all who stand in our way.
The warriors nodded in agreement, their expressions reflecting a shared understanding of their chieftain's words.
Kor: (his voice growing in intensity) I am Kor, Taker of Widows, for I have witnessed the frailty of existence, the fleeting nature of life itself. I have seen fathers fall to my blade, leaving their wives to mourn. I have heard the lamentations of widows and the wails of children left fatherless. But in their weakness lies our strength. We exploit their vulnerability, for it is the way of our people.
His words hung heavy in the air, a chilling reminder of the brutality that defined their existence.
Kor: (his tone filled with conviction) We live by the code of power, by the law of the strong. We seize what we desire, mercilessly. We take the women, the treasures, the very breath from the lungs of our enemies. In doing so, we forge our destiny, shaping the world to our liking.
The flickering torchlight danced upon Kor's mask, casting flickering shadows that mirrored the darkness in his words.
Kor: (raising his greataxe high) My brothers, we are the harbingers of chaos, the masters of destruction. Our legacy will be written in the blood spilled and the empires we crumble. We shall strike fear into the hearts of all who dare oppose us. Let our enemies cower, let them tremble before the might of the Agarians!
The warriors rose to their feet, their weapons clashing together in a cacophony of affirmation. The air filled with a resounding roar, the battle cry of a tribe consumed by a thirst for power and conquest.
Kor: (his voice thundering) We are the wolves among sheep, the untamed force that shall reign supreme. Our strength knows no bounds, our will unyielding. Together, we shall carve a path of bloodshed and dominance across these lands, leaving none to challenge our reign!
The war tent echoed with the fervor of their conviction, as the warriors bellowed in unison, their loyalty to Kor unshakable. In that moment, they were united by a shared belief in the merciless pursuit of power, pledging their lives to the legacy of Kor, Taker of Widows, the feared and revered chieftain of the Agarians.

....I think it did a pretty cool job, that is actually in line with what I wrote for the character!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Colonel Cool posted:

It's this. At the end of the day this is clearly about people being scared of the transformative impact AI is going to have on all of our lives in the near future and are clutching at straws to find justifications for not wanting to be reminded about it, because it's scary. And to be fair, it is terrifying. A lot of people, not just artists, are going to lose their jobs. This whole thing is going to be the biggest change to society since at least the internet. There's absolutely no guarantee that any of this is going to end up being good for people as a whole.

But I don't think letting a loud obnoxious angry minority bully the forum into siloing legitimate content in a containment thread and slapping a bunch of warning stickers on it is the way to go. This forum is for discussing tabletop games, not the impact AI is going to have on society. There are legitimate ethical concerns with Wizards of the Coast too. While we have a specific thread for D&D content, we don't ban people from ever talking about D&D outside of that thread, and we don't demand that the OP of the D&D thread contains a summary of the various ethical concerns people have with Wizards of the Coast. If people are scared and mad about AI and want to talk about that, tell them to take it to an appropriate forum for it. And if they can't hold themselves back from being loud and angry and off topic about it whenever AI happens to come up in a legitimate context, punish them until they stop doing it. Letting a handful of loud obnoxious posters dictate terms is weird.

It's basically like the invention of the printing press but 1000x more scary and possibly volatile.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

gurragadon posted:

It's ridiculous to get mad at somebody for not "commissioning" a piece of art for a TTRPG character like I'm some kind of Italian patrician.

Lmao that's basically me. Except it does hurt my wallet a bit.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Megazver posted:

The first session went okay. Now I have time to write this post instead of prepping!

So in addition to the main characters, the module also a page's worth of one sentence descriptions of optional NPCs you can plug in for flavor. Obviously I generated all of them as well. With some of these, as it goes, I used a picture I really liked even if it didn't quite fit.

The Smoking Girl. In the inciting incident of the adventure, a girl rapidly burning up into corrupted Yin Qi descends from the sky and desperately tries to warn the locals, before exploding into foul smoke. (Unless she is saved.)

Auntie Wei, a middle-aged matchmaker who knows every private scandal in Gongfang. Fat, beaming, and unctuous.

Blue-Button Mei, an elderly seller of ribbons, notions, and trinkets. She has justification for getting into any house’s female quarters, and often serves as a go-between for “private meetings” at the local shrine. Cultivates an air of doddering harmlessness, but has a sharp mind.

Crooked Zhong (“chong”), a charcoal-burner, now the Golden Lord’s priest.

Feng the Invincible, a young hooligan born with a strange dislocation of destiny; he always loses every fight he ever gets in, but due to some chance turn of events he never suffers serious injury. Only an appropriate divine miracle can overcome this fated survival.

Fishmonger Chin, rancid seller of river catfish, pesters strangers incessantly to buy a fish, if only to make the reeking young man go away. Seems totally oblivious to physical threats or dangers.

Ivan Szabo, a fur trader from Raktia who privately hates all Dulimbaians for their former conquest of his homeland. Will quietly help anyone who seems to be hurting them.

Marika Toth, a half-Raktian prostitute both beautiful and bitter. Has contacts among many of Gongfang’s elite, but desperately wants to leave both Dulimbai and Raktia, as she is accepted in neither place.

Mother Hao, a plump, sweet-mannered old procuress who keeps a house with her “daughters” inside town. Actually as heartless as any street pimp, and deals information to Big Feet Zu about likely marks or trouble. Her slave girls are terrified of her wrath; she sells the troublemakers to Xiao.

Old Father Lu, the oldest man in Gongfang at 107 years of age, astonishingly spry, gives oracular warnings and sage counsel that is always plausible yet catastrophically wrong. Locals pretend to hang on his every word but then discreetly ignore his advice.

Red Cap Hong, a skinny Taoist priest who sells folk-magic cures, lucky talismans, and exorcisms. Knows what Real Man Xiao is trying to do and can guess at his powers, but is too afraid to be seen opposing him.

Venerable Wan, a middle-aged priest with a patchy beard responsible for tending the shrine to Gongfang’s ancestral founders. His daughter was taken by Xiao as a “volunteer” and he is desperate to recover her, or at least learn her fate. He is greatly respected by the common folk of the town.

Xia Ming, a beautiful and tubercular young woman of good family, morbidly obsessed with her inevitable early death. Writes bad poetry, and is eager to do something important or romantically dramatic before she dies.

Xiang the Axe, a burly woodcutter who knows the location of many camps of Golden Lord devotees. Won’t willingly talk unless he gets drunk.

These are great!

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

So I had my first truly negative experience with AI. A player asked to submit some backstory to me and I said sure. I received 3 pages which surprised me greatly as this player is not really that type of table presence. I read it and it was just bland trash about frolicking in the woods near their cabin with their uncle and gathering herbs and poo poo. It wasn't interesting at all, although it did fit the background for a primal/ranger type.

I got suspicious and asked them if an AI wrote it and the answer was yes. They gave ChatGPT some sort of "write a nature background for my character" and it came up with this nonsense. They then sent it over to me. They hadn't even done more than skim it!

So now I have a rule with my players: do not use AI for the connective tissue of your backstory. I'm fine with them using it for names, inspiration, whatever, but the actual connective tissue needs to be players because honestly this loving sucked. It took them 3 minutes to waste 10 minutes of my time.

JFC...

I like feeding it character backstories I wrote and then having it write a scene in which that character shares their life philosophy. It actually gets it quite on point for the characters I've written. Here's an example:

trapstar posted:

Chat GPT is a pretty cool/fun tool to use to analyze and present the motivations and ideals of characters you have written. Here is the backstory I wrote for a villain of mine called Kor, Taker of Widows.

Pics (Disclaimer: Not AI Art, They Are Actual Artist Commissions)

Here is my villain backstory written by me:
"Kor was the son of Gor, chieftain of the Agarians, a barbarian tribe in the region of the world known as the “Barbarian Lands”. Growing up, Kor was willing to do anything to prove his strength. By the time he was fourteen, he was already a fearsome warrior, favoring the greataxe. As a young man, Kor became the chief war leader and enforcer for his father. He led many raids on other tribes especially against their mortal enemies the Terveri.

Soon after Kor grew into manhood, Gor arranged a bride for his son. He was to marry Thesna, daughter of Eretil, chieftain of the Franes, for the price of seven cows. Shortly after making this arrangement Gor passed away peacefully in his sleep and was honored with a great feast. Kor was still mourning his father’s death when he learned that Eretil had broken his promise to marry his daughter Thesna to Kor. He was instead planning to marry her to Agaric, chieftain of the Terveri.

Kor gathered his warriors and led a raid into the great hall of the Franes, killing many as they slept. Eretil awoke in time to meet Kor in battle, but the old chieftain was brutally defeated by the powerful Kor.

Kor brought Thesna and Ilva, the widow of Eretil, out naked before his warriors. Kor boldly declared that he was “Kor, Taker of Widows''. He and his warriors plundered all the gold and treasures of the Franes, including their livestock and returned to their homes rich in the spoils of their conquest.

When the Terveri heard news of this conquest, Agaric came to confront Kor. He entered Kor’s great hall demanding that he release Thesna and give her to him as Eretil had promised. He demanded that Kor release Ilva as well. In response, Kor had his warriors butcher Agaric's men. Kor’s warriors disarmed him and restrained Agaric. Kor then told Agaric that he was going to “cut off his head and drink from his skull” as he decapitated him with one fell swing of his greataxe.

Kor rallied his warriors and plundered the Terveri of their women, treasures and livestock. The few Terveri warriors that remained to resist them were disheartened by the loss of their chieftain and surrendered. Kor had each man executed and razed the Terveri village to the ground.

Kor, now confident in his supremacy, adopted an ox skull mask as a symbol of his strength. He pillaged neighboring tribes forcing them to pay tribute to treasure, livestock and daughters.

Kor, Taker of Widows, is now one of the most feared chieftains in the Barbarian Lands known far and wide for his strength and brutality."

Here is Chat GPT after I fed it the story I wrote and writing a scene in which Kor explains his life philosophy:

In the dimly lit war tent, the air thick with the scent of sweat and the faint remnants of battle, Kor sat upon a makeshift throne, his imposing figure enhanced by the eerie glow of torchlight. His ox skull mask adorned his face, casting a haunting shadow upon his features. Surrounding him were his trusted lieutenants, battle-scarred warriors who had witnessed the extent of his ruthlessness and power.
Kor: (in a low, gravelly voice) Brothers, listen well, for I shall share with you the essence of my life's philosophy.
The warriors leaned in, their eyes fixed on Kor, their anticipation palpable.
Kor: (his gaze sweeping across his audience) We are the Agarians, forged in blood and fire. We are the embodiment of strength, unyielding in the face of adversity. We conquer and we dominate, for that is our nature. We take what is rightfully ours, and we crush all who stand in our way.
The warriors nodded in agreement, their expressions reflecting a shared understanding of their chieftain's words.
Kor: (his voice growing in intensity) I am Kor, Taker of Widows, for I have witnessed the frailty of existence, the fleeting nature of life itself. I have seen fathers fall to my blade, leaving their wives to mourn. I have heard the lamentations of widows and the wails of children left fatherless. But in their weakness lies our strength. We exploit their vulnerability, for it is the way of our people.
His words hung heavy in the air, a chilling reminder of the brutality that defined their existence.
Kor: (his tone filled with conviction) We live by the code of power, by the law of the strong. We seize what we desire, mercilessly. We take the women, the treasures, the very breath from the lungs of our enemies. In doing so, we forge our destiny, shaping the world to our liking.
The flickering torchlight danced upon Kor's mask, casting flickering shadows that mirrored the darkness in his words.
Kor: (raising his greataxe high) My brothers, we are the harbingers of chaos, the masters of destruction. Our legacy will be written in the blood spilled and the empires we crumble. We shall strike fear into the hearts of all who dare oppose us. Let our enemies cower, let them tremble before the might of the Agarians!
The warriors rose to their feet, their weapons clashing together in a cacophony of affirmation. The air filled with a resounding roar, the battle cry of a tribe consumed by a thirst for power and conquest.
Kor: (his voice thundering) We are the wolves among sheep, the untamed force that shall reign supreme. Our strength knows no bounds, our will unyielding. Together, we shall carve a path of bloodshed and dominance across these lands, leaving none to challenge our reign!
The war tent echoed with the fervor of their conviction, as the warriors bellowed in unison, their loyalty to Kor unshakable. In that moment, they were united by a shared belief in the merciless pursuit of power, pledging their lives to the legacy of Kor, Taker of Widows, the feared and revered chieftain of the Agarians.

....I think it did a pretty cool job, that is actually in line with what I wrote for the character!

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Uh, who is that artist? They loving rock.

Pedro Silva
Here is their commission info: https://www.canva.com/design/DAEteQ_YFa0/Gh9McMg7vY1W8Gp_V4P1Kw/view
And here's there artstation: https://pedrosilvah.artstation.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Doctor Zero posted:

Or at least they should loving read it. Holy poo poo.

To me one of the funnest parts of TTRPGs is writing your characters backstory. I can't fathom why anyone would want to do this.