Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I had this idea to make a chatGPT assistant Game Master, I would feed it all the information about my homebrew campaign world and then discuss ideas about my campaign with it.
At first it was pretty cool as I fed it information it wou throw back suggestions.
Then after a few days I came back and started asking it questions and it poo poo the bed, giving me contradictory and generic answers. So I started interrogating it about why.
It explained that it had a limited amount of conversation memory but that it could not articulate how much that memory was, or how far back it went. Although it was able to tell me the last thing we had discussed that it still had in it's memory it could not tell me when that occurred. It also explained to me that it could not provide time stamps on responses because it was not aware of anything after 2021, but it did it anyway inconsistently and in varying formats.

It was frustrating but also kinda cool interrogating an AI on it's capabilities, it felt like the scene from 2010 when the dr asks HAL why he malfunctioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Ruffian Price posted:

the web interface keeps your past convos and you can edit them at any point in time, it'll keep track of the permutations and branches too. you can also paste the conversation into a new prompt and add to it

Yeah but despite the text being kept and visible in a given conversation, the AI does not continue to reference it past a certain point.
If I understand the capabilities of GPT4, you could potentially have a campaign document that you linked to the AI with each prompt that would help mitigate this limitation.

What I found really fascinating was that the AI itself could not explain to me the limitations of it's memory only that it had limitations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Y'all are using AI wrong if you're not asking it to explain everything to you in the voice of Stone Cold Steve Austin

quote:

Can you explain opportunity attacks in Dungeons and Dragons in the style of Stone Cold Steve Austin?

Hell yeah! It's time to talk about opportunity attacks in Dungeons and Dragons, and I'm gonna explain it to you in the style of Stone Cold Steve Austin!

Opportunity attacks, let me tell ya, they're like a can of whoop-rear end that you can unleash on your enemies. Here's how it works: when a creature moves out of your reach, you get an opportunity to attack them. That's right, they're running away from ya, but you get to take a swing at 'em before they go.

Now, not all creatures can make opportunity attacks, so you gotta make sure you know your stuff. Typically, it's gonna be melee attacks that you can make, so get ready to get up close and personal with your enemies. And let me tell ya, there's nothing more satisfying than landing a hit on a creature that thought they could just walk away from ya.

So, in summary: opportunity attacks are your chance to strike at a creature that's trying to run away. You gotta be up close and personal to make 'em, but when you do, it's like cracking open a cold one and taking a sip. So get ready to lay the smackdown on your enemies with some sweet, sweet opportunity attacks. And that's the bottom line, 'cause Stone Cold said so!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Macho Man would be better but I doubt the AI could do it. He has a very...unique*...rhythm.

*cocaine-based

quote:

now can you do it like Macho Man Randy Savage?
Oh yeah, dig it! The Macho Man Randy Savage is here to talk about opportunity attacks in Dungeons and Dragons, and let me tell you brother, it's a wild ride.

Opportunity attacks are like a lightning bolt from the top of the rope, oh yeah! When a creature tries to slip away from you, you get a chance to hit 'em with everything you've got. They're trying to run away, but you're not gonna let 'em get away that easy, no sir!

Now let me tell you, not all creatures can make opportunity attacks, so you gotta know your stuff. You gotta be up close and personal, brother, ready to lay down the law. And when you do, it's like a snap into a Slim Jim, oh yeah!

So let me break it down for you: opportunity attacks are your chance to lay the smackdown on a creature that's trying to run away. You gotta be quick and you gotta be tough, brother, but when you land that hit, it's like winning the championship belt. So get in there, take your shot, and make it a good one, oh yeah!

The first time I asked it to re-write something (my annual review) in the style of Stone Cold it typed in all caps, not sure why it's doing proper capitalization now.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Wangsucker 69 posted:

ChatGPT has definitely enhanced my homebrew DnD stuff, I’ll have a window open when I’m writing and man has it helped me flesh stuff out as a novice DM.

This for sure.
I even use it on the fly during games.
My players encountered a mercenary and I wanted him to have a unique magic shield so I asked ChatGPT to generate one, it gave me a cool idea for a shield that could reflect spells. So I used it, the merc even triggered the ability during the combat and surprised the gently caress outta the warlock. Then afterwards when the players went to identify it I asked ChatGPT to give me a cool name for it and it suggested "Shield of the Twilight Guardian".

It also understands stuff like 5 Room Dungeons formats, and Sly Flourishes' Lazy DM "Secrets", so you can tell it. "Give me a dungeon in the format of a Five Room Dungeon that takes place in ..." or "Generate 10 Lazy Dungeon Master Secrets for my next adventure that takes place in ...."

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Yeah I pretty much gave up on this thread already because everytime it got going people came in and poo poo all over it about ethics of AI.

Like I just want cool pics of the Otter-people in my homebrew setting, I don't need to hear your scaremongering about killing artists.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Good Artists copy, Great Artists Steal, Everything is a Remix. All art is built on top of what came before it, generative art is just letting us do it a lot faster.

There's this weird phenomenon of gatekeeping that's pretty much exclusive to illustrative art (2d drawing, painting etc), I think it's because the vast majority of people believe that illustration is some sort of magical ability people are born with as opposed to a skill that is developed with tons of practice like anything else. Everytime there's been an advance that makes it easier for artists to create art, there have been well meaning but ignorant people wringing their hands about how this is"the death of art! Nobody will employ artists because they can just use this new new technology to crap out soulless garbage!"
It happend with digital painting, it happened with 3d sculpting and 3d animation, it happened with photography, it happened with manufactured pre-mixed paints, I'm sure there was some caveman who complained that brushes were going to put cave painter who used their hands out of business. Every single time those people have been hilariously wrong, not only did it not kill art or artists it allowed artists to expand their horizons and work on actual creative work it created a world filled with more art and more artists not less.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Nobody gets agro when somebody posts a picture of a 3d printed model in the minis threads.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

The players in my DnD game get weirdly fixated on random mundane stuff, and tend to gloss over actual important plot and worldbuilding things.
A location in the dungeon they're exploring right now is a wizards laboratory and I know they'll get obsessed with reading every book.
So I used ChatGPT to generate books for me, and I told it specific world items and dungeon hints to include in some of them. I'm really happy with the results.

Cosmic Constellations By Rowan Silvermoon

Cosmic Constellations: Unlocking the Secrets of Astrology" takes readers on an illuminating journey into the depths of astrology, revealing the hidden wisdom and cosmic connections that shape our lives. This comprehensive guide explores various aspects of astrology, providing a rich blend of theoretical knowledge, practical techniques, and profound insights.

The book begins by introducing the foundations of astrology, including the history and development of this ancient practice. It explains the significance of celestial bodies such as the sun, moon, planets, and constellations, and how they influence our personalities, relationships, and life events.

Readers will delve into the intricacies of the zodiac, exploring the thirty two astrological signs and their unique characteristics. Each sign is carefully examined, highlighting the key traits, strengths, challenges, and compatibility factors associated with them.

I'm hoping they'll make the connection that the magical doo-dad they found in another room has 32 symbols on it and realize that they're related to the zodiac. Althouth the way they operate I wouldn't be surprised if they spent all their time trying to figure out what the bookbinding was made of.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

feverish and oversexed posted:

It definitely is good for inspiration in this sense, especially with a little guided context.

I am not in a place yet where I want to DM, but I was considering down the line after I've run a few solo cycles in ironsworn or similar I might try to.

Do you use it actively while playing or is this all prep for you?

edit: my biggest frustration (probably everyones frustration) is the memory context lacking even in the "better" chatgpt4 model, but once you disconnect from trying to get it to be your DM completely, and use it more as an assistant, is where it shines rn

I've been meaning to gently caress around with some of those plugins for chatgpt 4 that allow reading from a PDF, but I haven't bothered yet since my current method is working fairly decently with mild corrections

I occasionally use it actively when DMing, like if the players do something completely unexpected and I need to come up with a character name or items name on the fly (I'm terrible at naming stuff). I once used it to generate a unique magic item that I forgot to create before the game and it turned out pretty cool.
What I mostly use it for is list making, like if I need a list of something specific "What do you find in this drawer" stuff. It's really good at giving me a couple dozen interesting but mundane items, like "three random chess pieces", "A handful of foreign copper coins" or "A river rock with a bloody fingerprint on it". That last one really threw my group for a loop, they spent 15 minutes trying to figure out it's significance, and now im weaving it into the campaign. I compile the items ChatGPT gives me into a traditional random table generator and roll on it during game.

It's pretty good at making NPCs, but they tend to be a bit samey, which sometimes is all you need. When you just need a name and a bit of dialog for Villager #3 its cool, but I wouldn't use it for major NPCs or Villians without doing a lot of curating.

None of this is stuff you need ChataGPT for, it could be done with many random generators available, but what I like is that it's really fast, I just tell it what I want, I don't have to go looking for a specific chart or table or anything and it spits out good enough content for my purposes.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Doctor Zero posted:

Not arguing against, but you reminded me that some of our best NPC names came from creative brain lock.

DM: “A traveling halfling approaches and…”
Me: “what’s his name?”
DM: (caught off guard) what?
Me: what’s his name, Bob? HE SURELY HAS A NAME!
DM: “uhh - Spugnoise.”
Me: “Spugnoise? What’s his last name then??”
DM: “er… Bugbomb!”
Me: “SPUGNOISE BUGBOMB is his name?
DM: “Yeah! Spugnoise Bugbomb!! The 3rd!”

And that’s how we got a recurring NPC called Spugnoise Bugbomb. :haw:

Fortunately ChatGPT produces some goofyness like this on it's own sometimes.
Most the names are fairly cliche but every once in a while it spits out a winner.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

My favorite thing to do with ChatGPT is to give it some rough text I wrote and then have it re-write it in the voice of a specific writer or character.
In my current campaign my players are exploring a wizards lair and there are multiple libraries, so I used this trick to make up a bunch of books, some are nonsense just to be flavorful but some have important hints for the dungeon and some have worldbuilding information.
The most recent one I did was about geomancy and after writing a rough bit about it including the things I wanted to convey to the players I fed it into ChatGPT and told it to re-write it in the style of Gary Gygax.

quote:

Geomancy, verily, is the esoteric art of wielding and optimizing the boundless energies that flow through the mystical Ley Lines. Its purpose lies in the creation of structures and artifacts, cleverly designed to tap into the vast reservoirs of raw power that permeate the very fabric of our world.

Yet, the rules of Geomancy, I must admit, are labyrinthine and intricate, even for the most discerning of initiates. Oftentimes, they give rise to mazes of bewildering complexity, wherein rooms and spaces intertwine in a manner that seems devoid of rhyme or reason, baffling the uninitiated observer.

Alas, Geomancy carries its share of perils. Should a geomancer's calculations falter, resulting in an imprecise construction or a structure left to wither through neglect, the currents of energy drawn from the ley lines may deviate from their intended course, manifesting as capricious and unforeseen effects. Indeed, such manifestations have been known to assume curious forms and exert their influence upon those who dwell in their proximity.

A bit flowery even for Gygax, but perfect for my needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

There's a reason books of tables to generate random backstories exist. Not everyone is a creative storyteller on their own.