Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Megazver posted:

The first session went okay. Now I have time to write this post instead of prepping!

Need more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

As anyone who's published anything will tell you, there's a million people pounding out a million fanfics every day of the week. The difference between that and something publishable is being able to write something editable.

AI generated text has negative value as it takes more effort to edit it into something useful than to find someone with a functioning brain to write something better. Especially when it comes to continuity.

100% this.

I toyed with it to write a lore supplement book I'm working on, and it really does just end up taking more time to edit it down. That said, one could argue that the final product then does not need successive editing, but anyone that's ever actually edited a published work will tell you that there's always more you can change and tweak, and having a different set of (human) eyes on it in the first place is invaluable.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Fuschia tude posted:

"Illicit"? Pretty sure the GPTs were trained on a scrape of the entire internet

That's still illicit, as most of that stuff is copyright and/or intellectual property that wasn't opted in and gave no consent to be included.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

Personally, I don't mind some discussion on the ethics of AI but it invariably leads to pages of diverting from topic.

So, on topic, ChatGPT v4 still makes poo poo up when it doesn't know something, but unlike the ;art version, it will eventually stop and admit it doesn't know what the gently caress. I guess that's improvement.

At this point AI is so pervasive across stuff that having a separate thread discussing the ethics and deep fakes and political/social impacts of it as well as being a repository for all the lovely memes generated with and about it isn't unreasonable.

That'd leave this thread to hyper focus on stuff like prompt engineering, showing off results people have gotten, and specific news about advancements and features and whatnot.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

There's literally a thread to discuss ethics of AI and crap like that.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027671

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Bucnasti posted:

The first time I asked it to re-write something (my annual review) in the style of Stone Cold it typed in all caps, not sure why it's doing proper capitalization now.

:discourse:

AI has peaked. Shut it all down.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Megazver posted:

Made some portraits for a SHIVER RPG zombie apocalypse one-shot pregenerated characters:

These are awesome! What model and prompt did you use for them?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Drakyn posted:

Thank you.

This, specifically, was it:

The permaban was self-requested because:

It should be noted that after this occurred a lot of different parts of the forums he frequented compared notes and realized the guy they knew for making stupid posts about X also made stupid posts about Y, Z, A, B, and C elsewhere. He was an incredibly idiotic and stubborn person with lovely beliefs in every respect and every way, and whether you needed someone consistently and blithely giving terrible advice in the Path of Exile thread, believing chatbots are people and possibly-more-people than folks with autism, or saying the dumbest bigoted things imaginable, Rutibex was there for you.
Incessantly, because he ignored people telling him he was a loving moron.

Yeah the main reason I wasn't active in this thread until he was tossed out was because of those posts about slavery and Islam. gently caress that dude.

Honestly we should just have this thread helldumped and start a new one, but considering the tone and vibe in the TG discussion thread that would just stoke the fire for, "well why would you let those filthy AIphiles start a new thread?!? Just helldump it forever!"

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Golden Bee posted:

I think a lot of people have seen how technological advancement has destroyed the field of translation as a viable career. They don’t trust other people who say they’re going to be nuanced and use pattern recognition for creating products in a way that won’t hurt them individually.
As someone who does copywriting, it’s extremely hard to get freelance work now because people use pattern- generated pitches. Instead of competing with eight other people for a gig, buyers are now looking through thousands of nearly identical pitches. It’s not that I can’t write better, it’s that good writing can be buried in the thousands of lovely entries.

Like 15 years ago I had a friend who now works heavily in machine learning though it's primarily for NASA tell me, when I had started doing some RPG writing type stuff and talking about how I'd maybe try to become a novel writer that I had better have a backup career because in the next 10-20 years I'd be out of a job. I had already been on track to go into medicine, but man I am so glad I did. Dodged that bullet.

The chances of an AI replacing me in my current field is pretty negligible... all the data is already showing that even a person working remotely isn't good enough for patients, let alone a literal machine. Unsurprisingly humans who are sick and in pain want empathy and presence from another human being, who'd have thunk it. (definitely not those piece of poo poo MBAs)

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 10, 2023

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

feverish and oversexed posted:

so is this the place to talk about how I'm using chatgpt, bing, and other ai to play along with my solo ironsworn game or.....?

Probably, though I've honestly given up on posting any of the stuff I make with Firefly and my own photography in here or anywhere on the forums. Just not worth the angry hassle and would be pointless anyway.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

You should probably talk about Firefly and how to get into it and the Beta, since thus far it's the one ethically sourced* generative image AI.

There's also the music AIs and the voice AIs.

Honestly, the biggest flaw here is that ChatGPT is mentioned mainly as a primary source, vs just a thing to bounce ideas off of. One of the best ways to use it for an RPG in planning is to ask it to, say, "generate me 10 different options for a ne'er do well thief type character, gender and race do not matter, who grew up with a hard luck childhood being chased by the local law enforcement. This shoudl be done in [System X]." and it'll spit out 10 different backstories within a few seconds and then you can cherry pick ideas from it or massage one or two them into an NPC or character idea you may use. From a GM perspective it's a huge time saver or if you're fast with your typing or playing a PBP or online game, you can generate large numbers of detailed NPCs on the fly.

You can also use it as a notebook for your campaign by defining the rules and bounds of your story, and then literally telling it to remember X, Y, or Z. It can then act likea smart notebook where you can ask it, "what was the name of that guy we met in the treetop village who claimed to have details about the king's murder?" and it'll parse your notes and actually give you an answer immediately.

* - so Adobe claims.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

There's chat AIs you can run on your home machines... you guys know that, right? They don't end up having the short memory limitations like Chatgpt.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I'm still trying to get the hang of using Firefly to make actual drawing style stuff, but it's aces at modifying photos. Asked her and my friend is okay with showing off this heavily modified photo I took of her. It was originally a close up and then I used FF to outpaint in the entire rest of it. Also changed her hair and eye color.

You can slightly see the seam where it started to just make up its own poo poo, I think it needs to have a more articulated base plane to help hide that.

Edit: it also didn't know what to make of her jacket and its sleeve pocket zipper, so it just sorta went hog wild with zippers, haha.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 19, 2023

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Scornful Sexbot posted:

there is a dude who plays with us who hates having to write a backstory so much that we just let him reuse the same character story every time he dies. I hand-waved it as inter-dimensional quantum leap Sigrid the Barbarian. I think we are on like Sigrid VI now

That's a dude I would just fire from my table, goddamn. If you can't respect everyone else's time and effort to put in the bare minimum to participate, you can gently caress off and go do something with other people willing to tolerate your lack of respect.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Piell posted:

I hate writing backstories, most of the time when actually playing I'll end up playing a character differently than I initially planned it. Anything more than a paragraph or two with a couple NPC hooks for the DM to use if they want to is overkill, IMO

The game is about the game, having five pages of intricate backstory is not really a major component of the game and isn't at all necessary

Who said 5 pages? Even in a backstory heavy game like CofD or WoD you still only have like a paragraph at most.

If you still can't be assed to write a loving paragraph for a game, then go piss off and play with some other people, in my book.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Just posting here so I can link said post in another thread and not get probated yet again:

Playing around with Foundry as a VN style for narrative games:

Elysium in Chicago, 1862:

Price Maxwell has entered to address the coterie!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The Eyes Have It posted:

Dang, those look super cool. Not just in a "great detail and lighting" sort of way but nice and consistent composition.

Well it's a cutout of the NPC. I'm using the backdrops as backgrounds and then generating portraits to be used as NPC sprites and present the game in a visual novel style.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Megazver posted:

Also, I am finally actually playing Vampire for the first time after reading all the books years and years ago. Here's my hot Ventrue American Psycho GF:

Hard same.

Looks rad, how did you make this?

Also, how you're playing V5!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

These are loving amazing. I'mma have to steal that style.

And I've seen fellow players commission RPG character illustrations a grand total of ZERO times in 35 years of gaming, although that doesn't discount that some people do.

Well yeah, especially in an online game where there's a >75% chance the game will die within 5 sessions or weeks anyway, it would be a frustrating waste of money and just promote people dragging the same loving character into every game solely to get their money's worth on the art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

feverish and oversexed posted:

this is about what I was imagining, perfect. Hopefully someone can help you with some heads-on experience, I'm not familiar with stable diffusion myself.

Fixed that for you. :smugbert: