Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm using AI to make a TTRPG right now and it's incredible for the world building. Kinda dreading using it to make actual rules, though. Wondering if I should just wait for the Year Zero license to drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's a fan RPG based on an existing property. I'm using the AI to help me flesh out the world from the known facts in the movie/script, earlier drafts, canceled sequels, novelization, original short story, etc. There are tons of bits and pieces to put together and build upon, an intriguing puzzle that the AI is being super useful about. And since it's just a fan thing I'm not too worried about the prose or even some exact details. It's helping me define locations, factions, history, and more, all from a ton of disparate parts. Feels like a real collaboration up til now, where I feed it details and it fleshes things out to make it feel more alive and connected.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How realistic is it for that "memory" to increase significantly in the shorter-term?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Bummer. My current technique is to just copy+paste the most relevant bits of worldbuilding/rules/lore/etc. and include it before my prompt, but I quickly run into a character limit. I sometimes get it to summarize and compress all of that down first, but a lot of detail gets lost quickly.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I would like to personally apologize to Ralph McQuarrie and Syd Mead's estates for using their names to inspire images for my fanfiction-based tabletop RPG that nobody will ever play. I will delete them all and commission a young struggling artist I find on Twitter to create dozens of paintings copying their styles for thousands of dollars over the course of several months instead.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There's a question of where you draw the line on what is "AI art" and what is "AI-assisted" art. If I generate something as a base layer then extensively modify it by hand, is it still AI art as defined by the rules of this forum? What about if I do a detailed sketch of a composition and use AI to overpaint it in another style? What if I make a full digital painting and use AI to adjust some wonky facial anatomy? Or use AI relighting to change the lighting source from right to left? Or use AI to upscale it? What about if I modify an AI base using only AI tools, but do so in a way where I meticulously change every pixel through hundreds of generative edits to get exactly what I envision? What if I generate AI elements and then extensively animate them? Or use AI to do smart interpolation between frames that I've drawn by hand? Or use AI generated images to get inspiration for a composition, then overpaint by hand on top of it?

It's a question of authorship, really, and that's a much larger debate than most critics are engaging with. If an artist's traditional medium is collage made from magazine cutouts, how is that any different than creating a piece using generated images as a base? Is a musician making a song entirely out of samples not an artist, and is their art invalidated? If someone makes fanart and copies the style and character and costume design from another artist, does it become less "theirs"? Does that change if they're instead commissioned to create official commercial art of the same character? Does a writer lose authorship if they use spellcheck and grammar check? What if a dyslexic writer uses AI to reword their first draft?

At the end of the day, there is no single answer. It's all arbitrary, and it's up to how each individual defines what constitutes artistry and where they draw the line for what level of AI-assistance is acceptable to them. And if the line is "anything touched by a generative transformer" then that battle has already been lost with Photoshop incorporating generative fill. It's coming. The genie is out of the bottle and there's no putting it back in.

The problem here is that most critics think AI art is a "give me a finished piece" button when it really, really isn't—it's a suite of tools that you can utilize as much or as little as you'd like. Google Docs is on the edge of adding a suite of AI writing tools. The largest graphics editing software in the world has now incorporated generative fill into the Beta version of their product and soon it will be in everyone's hands. And having used it, it's a truly game-changing, incredible tool for digital artists that gives unprecedented control over their work and will save them a vast amount of time, allowing them to create more art more freely. If someone wants to dismiss an artist's work because they utilized those tools at some point in the process they can, but it'll have the same weight as those who dismissed "computer art" in the 80s and 90s.

Sure, there's tons of low-effort garbage out there that sucks. Of couse! And there's so many dweebs displaying something they put no time or effort into as their own great masterwork, and they can produce an avalanche of garbage at a whim. There will be a flood of garbage, but quality work will always rise to the top, whether AI-assisted or not. Those loud dummies are obfuscating what's really about to happen in the digital art landscape, which is artists having access to new incredible tools that they can use to create whatever they choose.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 9, 2023

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

So, Leperflesh, I know you're in a bad position here, and I'm sure this is no fun (you couldn't pay me to be a mod for this site) and I know you're trying to do this in good faith. But this just seems unprecedented. This is like asking someone in CineD to reboot the Marvel Movies thread but please include a section about how Disney engages in IP manipulation and vendor abuse so we can head that off at the pass.

I'm also not a fan of this kind of thing being dictated, as it's clearly in response to a huge overreaction by a vocal minority, but I'm also recalling the OP of my Cryptids And Conspiracies thread where I went out of my way to both talk about the racist nature of many historical conspiracies, and stressed how it was strictly not a QAnon thread. I think both helped to set the tone of the thread and to keep discussion focused and on the rails. Setting the tone that this is to be not only a thread where we post creations that utilized AI tools in their creation, but also discuss the ethics of the technology would set an appropriate tone.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Megazver posted:

Actually no, thank you.

I mean, fair enough, though it's going to be part of the discussion whether you want it to be or not. It is worth noting that the forums do specifically have an AI Ethics thread, so folks can always be directed there if the discussion gets more in depth than the thread prefers.

But yes, probation for people who are repeatedly assholes about AI posting makes more sense than anything else, here.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've tried it but found that its "memory" is too short for it to be much fun for long. The illusion is really compelling for a bit, but as soon as you hit it forgetting key details and hallucinating things that don't fit with the narrative you've been in a few times, it feels less like playing a game and more like writing fiction. And constantly having to remind it of the "rules" and summarize play feels tedious and frustrating. There's a model that OpenAI is testing that ups the memory from 4000 tokens to 16,000 tokens which feels much better for these purposes, though, so maybe it'll be a better experience soon.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I can't believe that ChatGPT hasn't implemented the editing feature yet. It goes a LONG way in helping maintain consistency.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

BrainDance posted:

I'm trying to change my classwork too to make using an AI just not practical. That's only going to work for certain subjects though.

Give them a quiz on the papers they wrote. Everyone gets a custom 4 question quiz on the basics of what they wrote. Sure, it's a lot of effort, but it'll put fear into em for next time.

Also, why not do a unit on AI-Assisted Writing? If they're gonna do it, teach them how to do it well and how to revise using different pointed commands and how to ask for sources and check their veracity? It'll help them see that this isn't a "give command get paper" tool, but can also be a way of creating something much closer to an authored work.

Other teachers might hate you, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Does Pika let you use a prompt and also maintain the original composition? Runway lets you do either/or but not both.

But yeah, in a couple of generations this is going to be a Big Deal if it can maintain coherence and be "directed" to any significant degree.