Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So I've been prepping to run the Godbound adventure Ten Buried Blades in Roll20.

quote:

In the market town of Gongfang a restless magistrate oppresses the people, forcing them to surrender sons and daughters to serve a mysterious sorcerer on Red Crow Mountain. In the countryside, a wealthy rice broker torments the common folk with his extortionate exactions, driving the desperate into the forest to escape his thugs and bandits. And beneath those green boughs there are whispers of an illicit god, of a Golden Lord who will bring justice to the afflicted. Gongfang's fragile peace cannot last. But who will strike the blow that ends it, and who will pick up the fragments that remain?

I've tried running it in PbP years ago, but that died as PbP games usually do. (Especially if I play and/or run them.) This time, I've spent the past week or so on the most important prep I can think of - feverishly cranking out portraits for every NPC instead of, like, doing any actual game prep. :nod: I might or might not actually prefer the "gently caress around generating portraits" part to the "actually gm the game" part.

I can't really justify forking out $30 a month for Midjourney (not throwing shade on anyone who does) and I do enjoy having the alternative of cranking stuff out on my PC and the problem solving off refining SD prompts, so I've been mostly generating portraits with Stable Diffusion, falling back to my $10 a month Midjourney subscription if I couldn't get the results I wanted on SD.

The SD pics have mostly been generated with the Arcane Diffusion model using variations of my go-to NPC portrait generating prompt:

quote:

chest-high bust portrait of a photorealistic [DESCRIPTION OF CHARACTER], dim lighting, hyperrealistic, blank background, Ruan Jia, Jean Baptiste Monge, Ismail Inceoglu, Don Bluth, Brian Kesinger, artstation

I've had to figure out how to actually make them appropriately dressed and ended up with "dressed in plain, simple hanfu" and "gold, ornamentation" in the negative prompts. If you just do "hanfu", everybody ends up dressed like Chinese royalty. I also cast famous people and then change their age, race and gender to break out of same-face-syndrome and convey certain qualities of character, without everyone obviously being a celebrity.

Anyway, here are the main players of the story. There will be spoilers:

The rather crooked Magistrate Li, his conniving and childless wife Madame Liao, and his nubile, fertile and incredibly naive concubine Plum Blossom.

I've tried to give the Magistrate the classic futou hat Chinese officials wore (see below), but the AI refused to even redraw a photo of one in more painterly style, much less make a character wear one, and I am too lazy to do it in a photo-editing app. Still, I like his look. He looks competent and neither too villanous, nor babyface'd. Also, this is actually 'Donald Sutherland as an asian man'.

The wife is a minor character, so I just did a few "forty-year-old stern scowling asian woman as a Tang Dynasty noblewoman in hanfu" and called it a day.

Plum Blossom is the only portait I ended up taking from the internet. (With permission.) She's supposed to be a young woman from a Roman Empire Expy But With Black People, who ended up as a concubine in the neighboring Tang Empire Expy. I spent a lot of time generating pretty dark-skinned girls, but something was missing. Then I saw this one and thought "oh, attractive african-ish girl in euro clothes, flowers look plum blossom-y, let's just go with this one."

Big Feet Zu, the local rice broker, crime boss, extortion racketeer and slave trader. Two of his mooks, Oxhead Po and Ji Number Three, who you meet brawling because they're both having a crisis of conscience and don't realize so is the other guy.

From the module: "Zu himself is an elderly man with stained yellow teeth and the dead eyes of a man utterly indifferent to human suffering. He speaks in a courteous and reasonable manner and is invariably polite to all who encounter him." I wanted someone who really has that "cruel degenerate" look, so I used that piece of poo poo Klaus Kinski for his face. SD gave him a purple pimp hat and I thought... "you know, why not? It's an interesting character touch."

Oxhead Po was having a great old time doing Very Bad Things to the slaves before they're shipped of, but there was a woman from his village in the newest shipment and something snapped inside him, so now he wants to help her and run away with her. He's also a piece of poo poo, so I thought it would be funny if he also was Klaus Kinski.

Ji Number Three is not Klaus Kinski. He is, of course, Wayne Rooney. He's having second thoughts about joining the thugs and he's had enough of the things Oxhead Po does to women, so we meet him beating the poo poo out of Po to make sure he doesn't go anywhere near the slaves again. (Dramatic irony!)

Real Man Xiao is the main villain here. He's spent the last two centuries doing terrible things to prolong his lifespan and at this point the returns are so diminishing that he's running out of time, so his experiments are turning increasingly desperate. His description in the book is more pathetic than intimidating and I've spent several days trying to generate something that worked, but then I thought "gently caress it, let's just make him look cool." So now he looks like Shang Tsung.

Perfected Woman Wen is his lover-disciple who is waiting for a chance to stab him in the back. You can probably tell is Lauren Bacall. I think this portrait is, cough, kinda hot tbqh.

The Golden Lord is an ancient hologram that had the personality (but not the free will) of an ancient hero implanted into it. It has a huge grudge against the ancestors of this empire and a directive to spread the ways of its extinct people, so it's been training the peasants into an army. Took me a bit to generate something I like and, as it always happens, it doesn't quite match the description in the book, but I really like this portrait.

Finally, the system handles large groups of mooks as single Mob enemies, so here are the Magistrate's guards, Zu's thugs, Real Man Xiao's desperate students and Golden Lord's cultists. All done in Midjourney, because SD can't handle groups of people yet, using "a group of [whatever], art by eduardo risso, blank background"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Tried to generate a functional-looking mace that has a caduceus-like design for its head, perhaps with the caduceus motif engraved on its head, and the AIs want NONE of my bullshit.

"Is that 'too clunky to even be a scepter?' Well gently caress you too, meatbag! This is your dumb prompt!"

I'll try a spear.

EDIT: "*in mocking robotic voice* "What's that? 'A s-spear ins-stead?' I am sorry, did I stutter? gently caress you. Meatbag. "

Megazver fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 4, 2023

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Megazver posted:

So I've been prepping to run the Godbound adventure Ten Buried Blades in Roll20. I've spent the past week or so on the most important prep I can think of - feverishly cranking out portraits for every NPC instead of, like, doing any actual game prep.

The first session went okay. Now I have time to write this post instead of prepping!

So in addition to the main characters, the module also a page's worth of one sentence descriptions of optional NPCs you can plug in for flavor. Obviously I generated all of them as well. With some of these, as it goes, I used a picture I really liked even if it didn't quite fit.

The Smoking Girl. In the inciting incident of the adventure, a girl rapidly burning up into corrupted Yin Qi descends from the sky and desperately tries to warn the locals, before exploding into foul smoke. (Unless she is saved.)

Auntie Wei, a middle-aged matchmaker who knows every private scandal in Gongfang. Fat, beaming, and unctuous.

Blue-Button Mei, an elderly seller of ribbons, notions, and trinkets. She has justification for getting into any house’s female quarters, and often serves as a go-between for “private meetings” at the local shrine. Cultivates an air of doddering harmlessness, but has a sharp mind.

Crooked Zhong (“chong”), a charcoal-burner, now the Golden Lord’s priest.

Feng the Invincible, a young hooligan born with a strange dislocation of destiny; he always loses every fight he ever gets in, but due to some chance turn of events he never suffers serious injury. Only an appropriate divine miracle can overcome this fated survival.

Fishmonger Chin, rancid seller of river catfish, pesters strangers incessantly to buy a fish, if only to make the reeking young man go away. Seems totally oblivious to physical threats or dangers.

Ivan Szabo, a fur trader from Raktia who privately hates all Dulimbaians for their former conquest of his homeland. Will quietly help anyone who seems to be hurting them.

Marika Toth, a half-Raktian prostitute both beautiful and bitter. Has contacts among many of Gongfang’s elite, but desperately wants to leave both Dulimbai and Raktia, as she is accepted in neither place.

Mother Hao, a plump, sweet-mannered old procuress who keeps a house with her “daughters” inside town. Actually as heartless as any street pimp, and deals information to Big Feet Zu about likely marks or trouble. Her slave girls are terrified of her wrath; she sells the troublemakers to Xiao.

Old Father Lu, the oldest man in Gongfang at 107 years of age, astonishingly spry, gives oracular warnings and sage counsel that is always plausible yet catastrophically wrong. Locals pretend to hang on his every word but then discreetly ignore his advice.

Red Cap Hong, a skinny Taoist priest who sells folk-magic cures, lucky talismans, and exorcisms. Knows what Real Man Xiao is trying to do and can guess at his powers, but is too afraid to be seen opposing him.

Venerable Wan, a middle-aged priest with a patchy beard responsible for tending the shrine to Gongfang’s ancestral founders. His daughter was taken by Xiao as a “volunteer” and he is desperate to recover her, or at least learn her fate. He is greatly respected by the common folk of the town.

Xia Ming, a beautiful and tubercular young woman of good family, morbidly obsessed with her inevitable early death. Writes bad poetry, and is eager to do something important or romantically dramatic before she dies.

Xiang the Axe, a burly woodcutter who knows the location of many camps of Golden Lord devotees. Won’t willingly talk unless he gets drunk.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The SD D&D model's creator released a new version and also said he had to pull the kobolds out of it, because they broke it, and I made this for him:

Ceramic Shot posted:

That's a very nice cast. I like the chubby matchmaker lady's expression a lot somehow.

That's, gods forgive me, "Rebel Wilson as asian woman". Here's the other one I liked, but ultimately didn't use:

quote:

Hope you let us know how the campaign is going!

This is probably going to be 2-4 sessions long, so I'll try to write up what happened when it's done.

EDIT: lol, someone's salty

Megazver fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jan 6, 2023

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So in addition to doing a Godbound one-shot, the main campaign I run these days is the campaign in the Mutant Year Zero rulebook.

The tl;dr of MYZ is that it's centuries after the apocalypse and you're all a bunch of twenty-something mutants with mutant powers who live a stronghold called The Ark in the Zone - the ruins of some big city the players would have some familiarity with (London, New York, Stockholm or, in our case, Los Angeles), guided by the one old person in the settlement, the Elder. It's a bit of a metaplot mystery why you're all the same age or where you came from or why you have these powers; the Elder refused to discuss it and the game starts with the Elder falling ill and the rest of your community deciding it was time to start exploring the Zone.

I've been running this campaign for a bit now - the oldest art I generated for it is, shudder, Midjourney v2. Now, I'm not sure anyone cares about my PCs and the many OC NPCs, but the main campaign also has a bunch of important NPCs most of whom don't really have portraits, so I was generating them with an eye on also sharing them with the MYZ community once I was done.

So here's the Nova Cult, one of the other communities you can encounter in the Zone.

STORY SPOILERS AFTER THIS POINT

Some years ago, in a distant Ark, Plutonia – a charismatic mutant with strong psionic mutations – preached that a holy, burning light will one day cleanse the world of all evil. She gained a following, and the group soon turned into a cult. They called themselves Nova. Most members had mental mutations only, just like their leader, and they all took great interest in the wonders of the ancient world.

The Nova cult eventually left their Ark and wandered the Zone. By chance, they came across an old and deserted defense facility. It contained an operational missile silo, including a huge missile with unknowable powers of mass destruction. Plutonia saw this as a sign of the impending Doomsday, the day when the world would finally be cleansed. Nova settled in the old bunker.

Inspired by ancient religious writings that she has misinterpreted, Plutonia has preached that the Doomsday will be heralded by the birth of a luminescent child – the Doomsday Child. Just like the People, the Nova Cult members cannot have children with each other, but they have discovered that they can conceive children with unmutated humans. To bring about Doomsday, Plutonia has therefore let Verter, a human donor they recently bought from slavers, impregnate the women of the cult. Several children have been born, but none of them have been luminescent so far. The fanatical Plutonia has forced the mothers to leave the infants to die in the Zone. Now, the young priestess Abbetina (below) is pregnant, and has decided that she will never let Plutonia take her child from her.

Plutonia believes that Abbetina bears the luminescent child and that the Doomsday will come soon. She has managed to start up the missile launch system, and is now considering an appropriate target for this weapon of mass destruction. In the meantime, several cult members are starting to question Pluto- nia’s leadership. She has responded by handing out “holy pills” (sedatives), to make the cult members more docile. But this state of affairs cannot last…

Plutonia.
"Cult Leader. Tall and anemic woman with a shaved head. Walks with regal strides and constantly watches everything and everyone with her piercing blue eyes. She loves to hold long, repetitive speeches, addressing her followers. Dreams of one day giving her life for the cult and becoming a martyr. Plutonia might have a clue to the location of Eden."

I really like this portrait! The woman herself is severe-looking, but charismatic; the light behind her looks both like a halo and a nuclear explosion and the smoke to her left and right looks like mushroom cloud stems or missile launch trails.

Abbetina
"Pregnant Priestess. A short young woman with dark eyes and large glasses. The fact that Plutonia believes that Abbetina carries the Doomsday Child has made her a revered person in the cult. She pretends to enjoy the attention, but the fact is that she doubts Plutonia’s leadership. She wants to topple Plutonia or escape before her child is born, but has not found the right time to act. Abbetina detests the father of her child, the donor human Verter."

I like the expression on her face, she's very "the gently caress is this poo poo". I gave a medallion with the radiation symbol on it, as a symbol of her being chosen as Important to the cult, and had to photoshop it in, because apparently Stable Diffusion does not know what that is.

Ohm
"Pig Farmer. A large, reptilian hunchbacked mutant with a cloven tongue. He moves jerkily, speaks with a lisp and is dressed in blue coveralls. He has followed Plutonia from the start, but he is not accepted as a full member of the cult as he does not have any psionic mutations. He is sick of being treated like a second-rate mutant, and might take the chance to get back at the cultists, given the chance. Deep inside, he still loves Plutonia however. And his hogs."

Turns out it's really hard to make an AI generate a hunchback. Reptilian mutant? A lot easier, actually.

Verter
Human Donor. A handsome young human in a tight-fitting silver jumpsuit. Has long, blond hair, which clearly sets him apart from the cultists. He was bought by Plutonia from slavers to impregnate the women of the cult, a job he has taken to with great joy. Verter suffers from total memory loss, and has no recollection of where he came from. He obeys Plutonia’s every command, and will fight anyone who threatens his privileged position. Verter is cheerful, vain and a coward.

This is an older portrait,(Midjourney v3 I think?), but I still really like it. I re-rendered it in Midjourney v4 and they're pretty good, but I don't know if I should adopt one of these (probably top right). What do you guys think?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
rip rutibex and goonspeed

you lorded one edge too many

i will miss your pics

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
But does anyone click anyone's links? Last thing I posted here wasn't even a link, just an :effort: post with some pictures, and no one cared, haha.

I forced myself to click his pdf for politeness' sake, saw it's 200+ pages of raw ChatGPT and noped out.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Thanks for that huge :effortless: post. This is very interesting!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Gonna run some Mausritter in a month or so and I'm trying to figure out how to generate art that's similar to the art in the book.

MJ can do generic cute Redwall-ish mice just fine, so I'll have something to use but it's be nice to figure out how to do something more similar.

Anyone have any ideas how to a) describe that particular cartoony style and b) that type of, uh, coarse pencil shading?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder2e/comments/11faxjl/paizo_announces_ai_policy_for_itself_and/

Paizo announces that it prohibits use of AI art both in its own books and in Community Program published ones.

I am torn on this. On one hand, I definitely want the publishers who can actually afford to commission real human artists to continue to do so and welcome pledges in that regard. On the other hand, if you're just some dude who's publishing his homebrew adventure, it's the choice between AI art and "well, I guess it's just a Word document with some stock art, then". I find that disappointing.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/428080/Hoic-Haco

Pretty sure the copy is also ChatGPT, lol.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I have better things to do, tbh. That description, though, and what's in the preview screams ChatGPT, imho. I only saw it because it's number 12 in DTRPG's bestsellers' list atm.

Hopefully no one actually paid the $20.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Well, this thread was supposed to be for "hey here's a cool goblin I generated for my D&D game." AI Art: It is criminal to not post your prompt in GBS I would say is the general "here are the new AI developments and techniques" thread.

I hope someone makes the dedicated "let's spend 50 pages arguing about how AI art is literally theft" thread just so that the hand-wringers can all go there.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The progress in the last year or so has been insane, who even knows man.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
For me personally, depriving artists of the hundreds of dollars I would otherwise definitely pay for a custom portrait for a character for a three hour one-shot is extra value; I derive deep erotic pleasure from it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Just keep posting here and ignore the haters, the horrifying inevitable lurch of late stage capitalism is on our side here, for good or ill. (Mostly for ill, but at least I'll generate some NPC portraits, yay.)

Megazver fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 24, 2023

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I am currently running an OSR funhouse dungeon module called Magical Murder Mansion and I generated some magical paintings for the Art Gallery room within. They're all pretty sloppy, because they're all throwaway one-off gags, but I still like 'em.

Spoilers for the module ahead!

Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. Small pink jellybean floating in red-orange space, tethered by some sort of cord. Touching the painting de-ages a person by 2d20 years. Adjust stats accordingly. If a person’s age drops below 0 they cease to exist. This effect only works 3 times.

Surprisingly hard to generate. Settled for this bullshit.

The Fallen Madonna. Young woman wearing a very-far- off-the-shoulder red dress. If anyone approaches within 1’ or tries to move the portait, she scoffs and says, “Hands off!”. On a second attempt, “I’m warning you.” On a third, “You asked for it,” as she pulls out a wand of pigmented lightning (50' cone, 4d6 lightning damage, Save for half, targets are deafened for 1hr). The painting will not answer questions. After firing the wand, the woman in the painting storms off, decreasing the painting’s value to 20gp.

Picnic Scene. A group of well-dressed picnickers on a hillside are menaced by giant ants. The picnic basket is real and can be removed or tipped out of the painting. It contains three ham sandwiches, a bottle of sweet white wine, and a small pot of mustard.

Had to inpaint a lovely-rear end basket separately.

Hubert Nibsley in Repose. The wizard (whose mansion the PCs are burglarizing in his absence) lounges on a plush green sofa, nude behind a strategically placed fern. His smile is insufferably smug. Anyone within 20' who looks at the painting must Save or stare at it until they complement Hubert. Affected people are aware of this.

Nibsley is an obnoxious narcissist who is exhibit A for the "wizards have no sense of right or wrong" meme. I generated the photo-looking one first and decided what's going on here is that it's too hyper-real for the reality that PCs are in so that's what confuddles them. The regular art version is what they start seeing when they snap out of it.

The Curious Monolith. Metal post in the middle of a sun- dappled snowy forest. The first person to touch the painting is sucked in and vanishes for 1 round. They emerge 2d10 years older, fully healed, and gain enough XP to reach the next level. They have hazy memories of a “magical forest ” and being elected “monarch of the muskrat people”. From their point of view, they were in the painting for a very long time.

Sunset Styles. Large orange sun glitters over the spires of a distant city. The painting glows as brightly as a torch. Its light has all the properties of natural sunlight (burns vampires, grows plants, etc.).

Twilight on the Honsu River. Broad expanse of water with tiny stylized boats. Sails appear to wave; water appears to ripple. Tilting or moving the painted causes tidal waves, tiny stylized shipwrecks.

The End. Streams of multicoloured paint flow towards a central black spot the size of an apple. The spot is painted with paint of annihilation. Anything that touches it, aside from the canvas it is painted on, is destroyed.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Made some portraits for a SHIVER RPG zombie apocalypse one-shot pregenerated characters:

Security Guard, Rodent Researcher, Mailroom Worker

HR Guy, Janitor, Intern

Psychic Experiment Girl, Sleazy Corpo, Old Scientist Who'll Infodump Then Die

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Thanks! Standard MJ, the prompt for this style would be:

"a X-year-old [gender] [ethnicity maybe] [description of character], [colors] palette, clipart, pop art, flat shaded, clean and sharp inking, high contrast chiaroscuro portraits"

The color thing is system specific - SHIVER uses funky d6s that have six different symbols for the six stats on them and there's an Archetype (class/playbook) for each stat.

So Talisa the rodent scientist is a Scholar and her main stat is Smarts which is yellow, so the portrait is yellow. (I've changed the colors a bit for Grit and Heart portraits, from amber and red to red and pink.)

I'm very proud of thinking of this color thing, I am very smart.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Also ran a one-shot of Frontier Scum, which is this very cool Mork Borg-influenced rules-light weird west OSR system. The rulebook's aesthetic is off the chain, you should check it out:

There were no pregens for it, but creating a character is one-click with this cool character generator, so I just generated some portraits for my players to choose from.

Now the cool new feature MJ has is that you can feed it a picture and it will tell you what it thinks some of the keywords for that picture would be. It doesn't work all that well atm, but you can still pluck out some useful bits out of it. I started off by taking an image from the rulebook and asked MJ to /describe it:

Then I cobbled together some of the keywords from those sample prompts into this:

"black and white drawing portrait of [character description], in the style of clowncore, high contrast chiaroscuro portraits, pulp comics, gritty horror comics, intricate use of hatching, dark black and white, lithuanian linocut, rubén maya, ronald balfour, felicien rops"

And generated some grids for my players to pick from:

(My apologies for the heft of the images, I did what I could.)

I like this style, it's ugly and sinister in a good way.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 5, 2023

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Why yes, I would love to get dogpiled by a bunch of hostile, bad faith neckbeards who don't actually understand what they're having a moral panic about, but are aggressive enough about it that they try to muscle over the forum rules to screw with anyone who disagrees about this contentious issue instead of having polite discussion or agreeing to disagree.

If no one takes you up on this generous offer, I think it won't be because there is no one who disagrees with the mob, but because, frankly, "hey there's a witch hunt happening over there, would you like to be the witch?" feels unsafe and I am a little disappointed by how you're handling this.

The only I'll add to this is that no, I don't think this should be a rule. Enjoy your discussion.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Well, I have to admit I'm a little surprised. I'm generally posting in favor of keeping this thread and challenging the arguments against use of AI art and text in the feedback thread, but if folks here feel like it's a lost argument anyway, I don't know what I'm supposed to do really.

Communist Thoughts posted:

LOL did you read the thread? It's a thread for people who are fanatically against using AI generators for anything and thinks it's immoral.

I kinda like to argue so I'm tempted to post my views in there but it's just gonna rile people up and accomplish nothing if theyr all already discussing whether they should bully people off the board or just ban them for posting their AI pics of NPCs.

E I don't think it's a "lost argument" just a pointless one, AI is already quarantined to this thread but that's not enough for these people? Just tell them to gently caress off imo.

There are no one in that thread defending AI posting not because there is no one who disagrees with them - as it turns out there is quite a few people here who do - but because every time someone tries to post something about how they use AI for their games (and most people I play with do it) there is relentless hostility and you do nothing to stop it. Now they're so emboldened by this, that merely shoving everyone into one thread and unrestrained harassment whenever someone posts outside it is no longer enough for them, the harassment needs to be pushed through into the forum rules. They need to make sure that we should feel unwelcome.

And it's working, I do feel unwelcome and you've allowed it to happen.

What you were supposed to do was not let it get to this point.

Here's the start of the "discussion" as linked by you:

Ominous Jazz posted:

Collectively we need to be meaner to people who break out of the ai containment thread because drat it's never anything cool

PurpleXVI posted:

One hundred percent agreement. The fact that I'm reminded there even needs to be an AI containment thread is unhappy.

Xiahou Dun posted:

God yes.

It’s just white noise dross, and we already have my posting for that.

And in the next post instead of "ok, how about you don't incite hostility against other posters" you go "um uh would you like me to just put it into the rules that they shouldn't post at all, since it's their fault you have to be mean to them because they're posting." Like, it's your suggestion.

If there is a hostile mob of posters who just can't control themselves but start hateposting every time someone posts their PC's portrait, it's not the portrait-poster who should be asked to stop. What you're supposed to do is tell them to stop doing that.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think we're being a little overly harsh here towards Leperflesh who is giving it a good try to make this a fair discussion of both sides. Like some of the arguments coming out from some of us aren't that great and I'm not surprised if they aren't convincing. Some of the "anti ai" people being overly hostile could be less hostile but we could also be a bit better in how we present the hobby too.

I wasn't trying to hate on the guy personally. I like him and think he's usually pretty reasonable, but he's the one who kicked off the ball by suggesting the rule changes and he's the one who solicited feedback here, and I feel the way the toxicity has been handled in general is a failure of the TG mods.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
He was the OP of this thread. You can see the stuff he made on the first few pages. Then he said something very stupid somewhere else and was permabanned.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Yeah the main reason I wasn't active in this thread until he was tossed out was because of those posts about slavery and Islam. gently caress that dude.

Honestly we should just have this thread helldumped and start a new one, but considering the tone and vibe in the TG discussion thread that would just stoke the fire for, "well why would you let those filthy AIphiles start a new thread?!? Just helldump it forever!"

Why, because the OP got banned? I don't feel like that's necessary.

Someone post stuff they've been working on; I've mostly been loving around and not generating anything I'd actually consider a 'project'.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Okay, I guess I am the only one posting stuff here for now.

I've just started running Abomination Vaults for PF2e. Generated some options for the PC portraits and the players have mostly picked the ones I don't consider very interesting but it's their portraits, so I'm trying not to be too obnoxious about it.

Ratfolk Wizard, Orc Champion, Fetchling Ranger, Aasimar Gunslinger, Sprite Rogue.

Here's a couple of pics that didn't make the cut but which I liked:

And these would have been my personal picks for the Aasimar and Fetchling (with some editing in Photoshop which didn't happen).

Finally, I've given into to the Inescapable Midjourney User Urge to Generate Terrible Wes Anderson Pastiche and generated some cards for the fake Wes Anderson movie about this campaign:

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot the super hot FemWalken tests:

like dayum

Megazver fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 10, 2023

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

but also discuss the ethics of the technology would set an appropriate tone.

Actually no, thank you.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Okay, I checked the shitpost thread again and oh boy.

Leperflesh, do you not see how this is getting more and more weird and discriminatory? And it's you who keeps proposing these bizarre new rule changes, like, what are you doing? I must admit, I am starting to feel less and less like "this must be so hard on you, you poor thing" at this point.

Your solution for "every time a certain contentious subject comes up, there is a contingent of posters who just can't help themselves but start flame wars" instead of "they should be asked not to do that or do it somewhere else" is "ok, the side that is getting flamed should be confined to their own thread, the other guys should have a hand in writing the OP about how poo poo this thread and what they're doing is, they can't post about this topic outside of that thread, but the other guys still get to waltz in the thread and talk poo poo if the mood strikes them".

It's like if vegans* were starting "meat is murder!" flame wars every time someone mentioned meat in the cooking subforum, and your solution is "people can only post about cooking meat in their own quarantined thread, the OP should written by the "meat is murder" people, you can't post about cooking meat in any other thread, but the militant vegans still get to run in every once in a while and unload their grievances if they feel like it".

* A little rear end-covering sidenote, I suppose: I've only met a stereotypical militant vegan a couple of times in my life** and even that was online, and while I eat meat myself I have respect for the intellectual position of "killing living beings for food is pretty hosed up". I don't have anything against vegans, it's just I think there are parallels in how the issue generates controversy. (Except the AI Art thing is a lot dumber.)

** Meanwhile, I see people passive-aggressively talking poo poo about people in this thread in other threads with no repercussions on weekly-to-daily basis.

=================================================================

In the interest of actually trying to be productive, here's my attempt to come up with something that's actually equitable.

I've looked around at the rules in some other RPG-related communities, and /r/callofcthulhu has a reasonable AI Art policy. TL;DR you can sometimes post AI art in other threads but the threshold for what is and isn't a shitpost is pretty high. You shouldn't post "I made some portraits you guys!" but you can post "I made portraits and handouts for this specific published adventure which could also be useful to you." (They've had some arguments about how to handle AI art as well recently and, frankly, handled it better TG has so far.)

If you want to post any other AI stuff you made for your own private game you can do this in this thread. The thread should not in fact have the OP written by people who despise the people who will be posting in it, because frankly wtf. If you're confining all posting on this topic in this thread, at the very least you can maybe not make it a hostile environment.

If someone wants to talk about how AI Art is Theft or Not Theft, this is also shitposting that's not allowed in the regular discussion threads. I understand that the people who are actually making GBS threads up all the discussion threads, and also for some strange reason you, don't seem to think that it's this poo poo that should be quarantined to its own thread. At this point, I don't see why I am supposed to care. If you can't moderate them, quarantine them to their own thread as well.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 11, 2023

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

What about something like:
  • We know that some AI tools are controversial and that there is a lively debate surrounding notions of artistic merit, fair use, credit, copyright, and more. The people in this thread know that and have decided on their own that they're comfortable with the form of use they're making.
  • Some AI tools have been trained exclusively with sources in the public domain, owned by the publisher, or with open licenses such as creative commons. Preferring those tools is a personal choice you can make if you want, but it's up to you.
  • If you disagree with the use of AI tools, you're welcome to debate the ethics of AI tools in the D&D thread. Posting in this thread just to challenge other posters on their ethics is a form of trolling and trolling is not allowed.

Do you feel even this much language acknowledging that there is a debate is self-flagellation?

World Famous W posted:

just cut it to the last paragraph

everyone who'll post here is well aware of the debate. the points of the debate aren't relative to the purpose of the thread. just leave it at take it to the proper threads and enforce that

again, i just lurk this subforum, so it won't effect my posting, just putting out my opinions on what i would rather read

I more or less agree with this, this is fine. "This is not the thread for shitposting about AI ethics, go to this thread instead" should be enough.

Alternately if there's a AI is Theft, You Wouldn't Make an AI Draw A Car thread, since we're doing ~*Both Sides*~ make sure to slap in a nice juicy "well actually ai art is great, you can type in "hot girl with big booba" and it draws a bunch of them for you by literally sucking down the soul essence of your favorite artist through Warp, find out more in the AI Art thread" in their OP.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I checked out the new rules. The post with the AI discussion rules seems fine.

The art credits is also reasonable and nice. I'd add that, if you just found a piece of art somewhere and don't know where it's from or if you want to look up a piece of art someone else posted, a good way to do it is to go to Google and click the "search by image" button in the search form then upload/drag and drop the image in. (Not everyone knows this, somehow.)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

YggdrasilTM posted:

I can get some relatively "pretty" Nosferatu. This is what I got for my coterie:

I am pretty sure I recognize that prompt, hehehe.

Skios posted:

I use it for NPC portraits too, although for WoD specifically, it can be very annoying to get the more inhuman aspects of a character across. I have yet to find a prompt that lets MidJourney do anything that remotely looks like a Nosferatu, and it has some serious restrictions on blood/gore as well.

MJ has trouble not generating pretty people. I find that just piling on stuff like "ugly misshapen grotesque asymmetrical skeletal gaunt disfigured" and, sigh, "middle-aged" as part of the prompts helps a little.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's pretty dope!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
These look dope as well! I've been meaning to sit down and actually do a course of learning image manipulation to help me with this stuff, but I keep procrastinating.

Also, I got curious, so I gave this a go as well.

"a portrait of female guyver unit, face hidden by the helmet, jade green, detailed --ar 2:3"

I'm of the opinion that the "4k, 8k" copypasta in prompts is magic thinking, in MJ at least, and I find that if you're trying to generate something with headwear or helmets or elaborate hair it helps to set a 2:3 aspect ratio.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
MJ has gotten kinda weird about the --no in v5, I don't use it anymore. The best bet is usually restating what you want in positive terms that doesn't mention the thing you don't want to see.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I was busting my players' balls about being murderhobos and murdering a random mimic without any attempts to negotiate and I told them about how this one was actually a delicate soul and wrote poetry, so then I had ChatGPT write some terrible, terrible Mimic poetry on the spot. Good times.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Mimic love be sofuh,
Big cushy place to snooze-uh.
Adventurers come, all brave and bold,
Mimic open wide, mouth full of gold.

Me gobble 'em up, tasty treat,
Crunchy bones and armored meat.
They swing swords, try to fight,
But mimic's jaws, they hold 'em tight.

Mimic not smart, but mimic know,
Adventurers make belly grow.
Munching on heroes, me feeling grand,
They no match for me sticky hand.

Mimic big and strong, sturdy and stout,
Swallowing warriors without a doubt.
They think me furniture, nice and soft,
But little do they know, they be aloft.

Mimic happy, mimic content,
Eating adventurers, their strength spent.
In shadows, me lurk, waiting for prey,
Sofa disguise, fooling 'em all the way.

So adventurers beware, be on guard,
Mimic lurks, sofa disguise hard.
If you sit on me, you might get chewed,
Mimic hungry, always in the mood.

===================

Now, admittedly this mimic loved eating adventurers (and being a sofa), so their murderhoboism was somewhat warranted. But hey, I didn't say it was a vegan poet mimic! And if you, say, see a tiger in the wild minding its own business your first thought shouldn't be "oh it's not a herbivore, let's murder it"!

Megazver fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jun 17, 2023

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Megazver posted:

Okay, I guess I am the only one posting stuff here for now.

I've just started running Abomination Vaults for PF2e. Generated some options for the PC portraits and the players have mostly picked the ones I don't consider very interesting but it's their portraits, so I'm trying not to be too obnoxious about it.

Ratfolk Wizard

Poor Poppy got her head chomped clean off right on the cusp of leveling to 2. RIP Poppy. I decided to bend what the local druid can do a little and have her Reincarnate Poppy (she's level 4, druids get Reincarnate at level 5) so now Poppy Prim is, uh, Gobby Grim? (We'll see if there's an actual name change.)

Also, I am finally actually playing Vampire for the first time after reading all the books years and years ago. Here's my hot Ventrue American Psycho GF:

Kestral posted:

Over the years, I've seen other friends commission art of their characters maybe nine or ten times. It's come out correctly perhaps three times. Every other result has been an expensive, time-consuming compromise that left them only vaguely satisfied. One of my other D&D players has had three separate pieces done of her long-running PC, and only one of them came out right, and it cost her something like $300 for that one piece. My sample size is small, but one in three is what we've got, and that's just not good enough.

And that's where I'm at with AI art at this point. Human artists can outperform what my customized install of Stable Diffusion can do, no question. But if I'm going to get a result that is "good enough," I would rather get that "good enough" for free, in under an hour, and possibly in under 5 minutes. It's an unbeatable value proposition, and it's only going to get better. I'm very, very glad I'm getting familiar with this technology now, because it's going to be absolutely everywhere in five years, max.

Hard same.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 14, 2023

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Looks rad, how did you make this?

Also, how you're playing V5!

It's gonna be V20, not V5. Hopefully I've play some of that one as well, eventually.

Initial prompt was "smiling punk latina vampire, clipart, pop art, flat shaded, clean and sharp inking, high contrast chiaroscuro portraits, black palette"

After a couple of Zooms, I photoshopped out the weird necklace and pencilled-in the fangs.

A couple more attempts where I tried to get it to draw some fangs:

And a bonus Evil Vampire Toddler that I trolled my GM with:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You guys have been very encouraging with your comments, thanks! I've resisted the urge to just start dumping all the random poo poo I generate, but I might drop in a bit more into the thread in the future.

This is interesting! What's the prompt?

Objective Action posted:

So the AI voice stuff has gotten really good over the last two years or so but its finally started to leak out from commercial companies like elevenlabs into the open source world.

99% of it is all horny porn stuff, as is par for the course, but some real good shitposts are making their way through the cracks.

Please enjoy these two weirdly high effort Neco Arc covers.

"Without Me" by Eminem, with a boatload of fun art.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZaWUzrqg8M

And "Snake Eater" from MGS3. No art here but, well, just listen all the way through.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HamZ8rSsyhI

Edit: posted this in the wrong AI thread but eh, will leave my shame intact.

Yeah, there is some fun AI voice stuff out there by now. I'm unfamiliar with this Neco thing, but these videos are fun!

The best creator I've seen doing these is There I Ruined It, there's some good poo poo on that channel.

gurragadon posted:

AI voice could be really benificial to DM's though. Most people are bad at accents or only have a couple in their pocket. Being able to give NPC's unique voices that you could tag and return to would go a long way to make NPC's feel more real.

Yeah, it could be useful, especially for voices you just can't do at all. I needed a classic Biblically Accurate Angel B̶̹̹̤̑E̴͇͌ ̷͚̝̈́͆̕N̸̝͙͊Ó̸̆͜͝T̴͔͋ ̶̮͉̐́ͅȂ̴͈̰͖͋F̷̯̉R̴̤̠̕A̵̹̓Ĭ̵̤̀D̵̪̑̕ voice line once and I tried to record myself and fiddle with the recording, but it didn't turn out great, sigh.

I do have a bit of a cautionary tale about NPC voice lines, though. Syrinscape provides custom soundtracks and sound effects for some(?) official 5e adventures and those include actor recordings of all the specific lines by the NPCs in the book. So I joined a campaign of Descent into Avernus and the GM had ALL THE poo poo - the paid Roll20 module, the Syrinscape pack, really advanced script stuff on Roll20, etc, but what he didn't have was, well, GM skills. He was pretty inexperienced, as far as I could tell, and used all of this stuff as a crutch.

We'd meet some NPC and he'd dutifully plug in the specific music track Syrinscape fed him and, after a bit of pause as he searched for the file, played the NPC's intro voice line and then we'd ask them something and he's go search for a voice line that he could play that would work. It got old so fast.

Doctor Zero posted:

And I've seen fellow players commission RPG character illustrations a grand total of ZERO times in 35 years of gaming, although that doesn't discount that some people do.

I played in a year-long campaign of Storm King's Thunder and it was a very lovely experience and when we wrapped up, the GM posted the art of the group that he commissioned out of his own pocket for us. It was, I regret to say, pretty poo poo. Whatever he paid, it was not worth it. I appreciated the gesture, of course, so I had to, uh, pump some extra enthusiasm into my voice as I vocally appreciated it.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Oligopsony posted:

Experimenting with first-stage worldbuilding just by trying to cultivate an aesthetic - the sort of thing I'd do by trawling pinterest first. All of these are "(short desc), Byzantine and Incan aesthetic, colorful matte fantasy (portrait/illustration) by Delacroix and Osman Hamdi Bey" - with occasional negative prompts to make women not too sexy and men not always Delacroix himself - with SDXL 0.9.

Yeah, these are really nice. I like messing around with aesthetics as well. Sometimes I get something interesting trying to generate something completely different and go "oh poo poo, I need to explore this further". For example, just trying to generate random D&D art but also prompting for 'Wes Anderson'.

"symmetrical wes anderson portrait, a male greenskinned 30-year-old fantasy D&D orc as a D&D paladin wearing bright plate armor, "

I thought "huh, can I do more with this aesthetic?" and generated a fancy-pants warlock aasimar for a one-shot

This would be something like "symmetrical wes anderson portrait, a slick male colorfully skinned 30-year-old fantasy D&D aasimar, wearing colorful fancy nobleman outfit, wearing small round sunglasses, nimbus behind his head, pastel". (It didn't want to do the colorful skin lol.)