Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Problem description: Desktop with Windows 10 runs extremely slowly and becomes non-response for 5 to 10 seconds

Attempted fixes: Ran multiple virus scans. Booted up in safe mode and found that the computer runs at the expected speed. I disabled devices one by one and rebooted to discover that when I disable the display adapter the computer runs correctly. I updated to the latest Nvidia drivers. If I boot up with the Display adapter disabled, and then enable it after booting, the computer also seems to function normally.

Recent changes: No changes

--

Operating system: Windows 10

System specs: Home built system, built sometime before covid. Nvidia GTX 1080, Intel i5-8400 not overclocked, 16GB memory.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure W10 is fully updated.

Then try running DDU https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4224 and then installing the latest GPU drivers again.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Thanks for replying, I appreciate the help!

I double checked to make sure windows 10 was update. Then I ran DDU in safe mode, uninstalled the drivers, and then rebooted. Everything was fine until I intalled the latest Geforce drivers. I installed the drivers, and rebooted.

Once the drivers finished installing, I could hear the Video Card fans get much louder. The System started to slowdown again, so I rebooted and installed SpeedFan so I could see the GPU Temps. Just sitting here, with only firefox and SpeedFan running, I can see my GPU started at 60 celcius and is now climbing, currently at 69. The CPU case is well ventilated and I do blow out the dust in there on a fairly regular basis.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I don't think that temperature is dangerous or anything. You could try older drivers.

If the GPU fan is old it's also possible it's dusty or needs replaced.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Zogo posted:

I don't think that temperature is dangerous or anything. You could try older drivers.

If the GPU fan is old it's also possible it's dusty or needs replaced.

The temp has been holding steady at 42C since I went back and enabled the display adapter after booting. It's just weird. I'll try an older driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

daslog posted:

The temp has been holding steady at 42C since I went back and enabled the display adapter after booting. It's just weird. I'll try an older driver.

Rolled back to the July driver. It works a lot better. Some programs seem a little sluggish when I first launch them, but that could just be my perception.