Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

https://twitter.com/LAKings/status/218436839265148931?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

shyduck posted:

No joke, we were 1-2, I don't know if we played each other but I was like 10-0 when it ran out of steam

Ahhh I thought it was something like that where it folded right before I got to play whoever the best team was.

Wait what was Stab's record then? Is he bullshitting us? I want to say I had one loss.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Kupo! posted:

I’m confused what the upside to taking Quick was. Did LA really want Korpisalo and CBJ was fine with a Quick rental? I was under the impression that the CBJ goaltending situation was not great, this isn’t fixing that.

columbus is stuck with elvis (because he's been really bad and has a giant contract) and probably tarasov (he has to go through waivers to play in the ahl next year i think). korpi is going to be a ufa and has played pretty well despite his lovely team so he's the odd man out and they traded him. i think they are actually happy to have a lovely old guy play games for them the rest of the season, and hopefully they don't have plans to keep him after that.

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

Big Leg posted:

columbus is stuck with elvis (because he's been really bad and has a giant contract) and probably tarasov (he has to go through waivers to play in the ahl next year i think). korpi is going to be a ufa and has played pretty well despite his lovely team so he's the odd man out and they traded him. i think they are actually happy to have a lovely old guy play games for them the rest of the season, and hopefully they don't have plans to keep him after that.

Thanks for the explanation, the trades make a lot more sense now.

I gotta say it’s a cold move by LA. I get it, it makes sense, but a whole lotta people who aren’t Jonathan Quick are also upset by it. I guess they’re banking on people getting distracted by playoff success and forgetting about it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If you're in the 10th and final year of a contract that you've been below replacement-level for the last half of and get traded because you've played like flaming garbage all season, whining about the injustice of it all is completely asinine.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Are the Kings even vaguely contenders though? I do feel like chucking away a guy's chance to retire into the sunset for Jonas Korpisalo and a first tound exit is a bit of a dick move.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Carver posted:

2007 because the rangers signed Drury and Gomez and it was a Big Deal, and i think i was playing as them.

At least I thought we were playing updated rosters but maybe stab remembers otherwise. It was definitely around then though.

Lol i dont remember from 15 years ago all i know is I kept using punchmen on my top lime and winning with *hitz*

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

tarbrush posted:

Are the Kings even vaguely contenders though? I do feel like chucking away a guy's chance to retire into the sunset for Jonas Korpisalo and a first tound exit is a bit of a dick move.

In the West??

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
the kings are tied for first place in the pacific despite receiving miserable goaltending all year. it's fine. whether korpisalo is the guy to bet on is another thing.

corn on the cop fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Mar 1, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

VOTE1 posted:

What’s he complaining about then? I’d understand if he was getting sent to somewhere he didn’t want to go for 3 years. There’s only 20 games left, that’s no more than a couple of long road trips.

He won’t be on the Kings so no playoff hockey and chance for the cup. Plus the he’s been with the franchise forever thing.

It’s crazy it’s for someone like Korpisalo is probably the main thing. If you’re gonna risk upsetting the locker room, like, maybe if it’s that goalie on the Coyotes who has quietly been really good this year. I don’t think Korpi is worth it from what his track record has been.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Mar 1, 2023

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Korpisalo has also been very good this year, especially recently, when you consider the team in front of him and has also played well in the playoffs before. Gavrikov also looks much better as a second pairing dman when he isn't paired with some 3rd pairing or AHL player taking on top line forwards all season.

I think the trade seems fine from both sides.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The only loser in this trade is Jonathan Quick and that is delightful

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 1, 2023

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

it’s such a dick move. your franchise goalie who backstopped the most successful time in your team history gets dealt at the trade deadline of his final season (most likely) to one of the least successful and prestigious franchises in the history of the league to contribute to their tanking efforts.

it’s such a horrible way to treat a person who was clearly well regarded in the locker room for a move that isn’t moving the needle that much.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

He sucks now. More teams should be unsentimental. A team like the Kings could well come out of a very weak West this year. They shouldn't be damaging their changes of doing so to coddle one guy's ego. The Kings won two cups with Quick and made him a very rich dude. He will have a role with the team forever and his number will be retired so he'll get his day in the sun with fawning adulation from the fans. He's just mad because he felt he was owed a free ride to another deep playoff run to pad his resume. He'll retire in two month's time anyways.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Korpisalo has also been very good this year, especially recently, when you consider the team in front of him and has also played well in the playoffs before. Gavrikov also looks much better as a second pairing dman when he isn't paired with some 3rd pairing or AHL player taking on top line forwards all season.

I think the trade seems fine from both sides.

This is a good summary of why both players may have more value than "lol Columbus" .

As for more context:

Big Leg posted:

It's this, coupled with:

https://twitter.com/TheCBJHaters/status/1630767220254035969?t=UWm3CGSZUzt9v1P5dYuTDA&s=19

Tarasov is still hurt, so they probably need a warm body to make starts who Isn't Jet Greaves as Cleveland is trying to get into the AHL playoffs and needs someone a bit more established than the 5th string guy (Pavel Cajan) unless they want to start trotting Brad Thiessen out of the radio booth again as they used to do when this happened.

And it seems like LA wins the Cup every time the two make a deal, so...

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 1, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I can definitely see it from both sides. The fact that Kopitar was blindsided and pissed makes it seem like the team did nothing to soften this for the old cup boys, but at the same time - Kopitar and Doughty (I think) are the only two left from that squad anyhow so... gently caress it, I guess.
Still not super cool from a management perspective and now they really have to hope Kopitar doesn't take it too personally if he's planning on playing after the end of his current contract, which is not a situation they had to create.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
contract the Arizona Coyotes for fumbling the bag on Jakob Chychrun for this long, good lord

and all the other things that the ownership group has done, but mostly the Chychrun thing

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

He sucks now. More teams should be unsentimental. A team like the Kings could well come out of a very weak West this year. They shouldn't be damaging their changes of doing so to coddle one guy's ego. The Kings won two cups with Quick and made him a very rich dude. He will have a role with the team forever and his number will be retired so he'll get his day in the sun with fawning adulation from the fans. He's just mad because he felt he was owed a free ride to another deep playoff run to pad his resume. He'll retire in two month's time anyways.

The main downside is that any FA worth anything is gonna insist on NMCs and 25 team no trade lists. After all it is a business!

Also given that old article about the Coyotes it's very possible they just don't have anyone to work out the cap logic required to actually make a trade/the owners Large Adult Son who is President of Hockey Ops is loving everything up

Eta: like being in LA this isn't as bad of a move because they'll always be able to get free agents to play there. I strongly recommend Canadian GMs or say the GM of Columbus don't try this poo poo with any franchise legends they have

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 1, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kings will smooth it all over with a tribute night next time he plays in LA or after he retires. And sell a lot of tickets to people excited to see him one last time!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Bard Maddox posted:

contract the Arizona Coyotes for fumbling the bag on Jakob Chychrun for this long, good lord

and all the other things that the ownership group has done, but mostly the Chychrun thing

Jarmo has another 1st round pick at his disposal now, so I'm waiting on the Jarmo Special to Arizona.

E-
https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1630916106163564547?t=1CmfcTPPPcAwqy5a0Rpomg&s=19

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 1, 2023

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Goal droughts on the Wild:

quote:

Jordan Greenway: 25 games
Marcus Foligno: 23
Matt Boldy: 14
Freddy Gaudreau: 19
Mason Shaw: 24
Connor Dewar: 29
Mats Zuccarello: 1 in the last 14

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I get being unsentimental but at a certain point I feel like you don't move certain players. Quick being moved, bad as he is, is not something I ever imagined the Kings doing. Its not logical but it clearly matters a lot to the players and many fans.

Also they took Gavrikov lol

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Quick probably had to go for salary cap reasons.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Few days late, but LOL that the NHL considers spitting a bigger crime than assault + battery.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Thanks for posting this, I was about to look it up.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The Kings gave Cal Petersen a contract extension and a 12-team no trade clause, and he proceeded to stink up the joint to the point that they had to send him back to the minors, so the Kings would have to pay someone to take his contract. Moving Quick was really their only option to improve their goaltending.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Kings are bad at goaltending!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I thought Korpi was a better goalie than Elvis. But they paid Elvis.

CBJ may need to find a way to keep Quick around as I dunno how much loving longer Tarasov will take.

Kivlenieks' tragic death is gonna keep affecting the franchise for a while.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I get being unsentimental but at a certain point I feel like you don't move certain players. Quick being moved, bad as he is, is not something I ever imagined the Kings doing. Its not logical but it clearly matters a lot to the players and many fans. Also they took Gavrikov lol

I agree to an extent, I think to move a guy like Quick it has to be a huge move that actually significantly moves the needle. Like a top 5 goalie signed for the next 4 years? Sure. Sucks, but you got to do it. A middle of the road goalie who's going to be a UFA? Not worth it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Levitate posted:

Kings are bad at goaltending!

Only team with a non-positive goal differential in a playoff position and bottom 10 in the league for goals against
impressive stuff

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I like the Jensen resigning. Caps are doing decently at the retool on the fly thing.

Atleast considering they can't do anything about Oshie or Backstrom because Ovi wouldn't have that poo poo.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
I feel like we're 6 months removed from making fun of Vegas' management for being stupid dicks to all their players and earning a bad reputation around the league but now there's an argument to be made that being lovely to a franchise cornerstone is good. I know rules are applied selectively depending on how much people like the player(s) involved but I think the fact that Kopitar felt blindsided and is pissed off over it kinda says everything about how it was handled

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

th3t00t posted:

Few days late, but LOL that the NHL considers spitting a bigger crime than assault + battery.

Spitting is battery. Hth.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

There's an upside to vicious business ruthlessness and a downside, no doubt

From a personnel management perspective though, there's absolutely no downside to going to the team captain or the players involved and going "we know Quick has been a huge part of this franchise but we need to think about the future and get some pieces that work a little better for a run this year"
Placate all the egos involved, promise him a jersey retirement and a bobblehead night or whatever and let everyone part of feel-good terms instead of blindsiding everyone

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Doctor Butts posted:

I thought Korpi was a better goalie than Elvis. But they paid Elvis.

CBJ may need to find a way to keep Quick around as I dunno how much loving longer Tarasov will take.

Kivlenieks' tragic death is gonna keep affecting the franchise for a while.

I think this year has shown Korpi's horrendous numbers last year were the combination of bum hip+bad defense in front of him. He had switched it on as of late and had become the better of the two goalies, though both have improved recently; Elvis has like a .930 in his last 2-3 games.

My concern about Elvis is has Kivi being killed completely fried him Espen Knutsen-style? If so, I couldn't blame him, but Columbus is committed to him now and hopefully it works out for everyone and Elvis gets his Vezina for his friend.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Isentropy posted:

The main downside is that any FA worth anything is gonna insist on NMCs and 25 team no trade lists. After all it is a business!

Every FA worth anything already demands a NMC though?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

CBJSprague24 posted:

My concern about Elvis is has Kivi being killed completely fried him Espen Knutsen-style? If so, I couldn't blame him, but Columbus is committed to him now and hopefully it works out for everyone and Elvis gets his Vezina for his friend.

I have no idea. I think most changes are just from experience.

He's playing some angles better and is a little more conservative in his play style. He seems to have lost a lot of his cockiness, too.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Every FA worth anything already demands a NMC though?

and a bunch of players who shouldn't provided they're signed by Jim Benning

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/billmeltzer/status/1630954842872070149?t=7-h1QSegknPjZ9OGLXU__g&s=19

no notes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1630954939395592192