Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

That's pretty common now with teams trying to scrape together cap space. The Avalanche are doing the same thing at the moment with Brad Hunt and Ben Meyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

if you want to retire with the team of your glory days it's kind of on you to quit before you turn into a massive liability

he'll get over it. martin brodeur signing with the blues at age 42 somehow did not tarnish anyone's memories

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It's extremely stupid that the NHL calculates cap hits every day including off days instead of just on game days so it sure seems like they're deliberately encouraging stupid paper transactions like that.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

ThinkTank posted:

He sucks now. More teams should be unsentimental. A team like the Kings could well come out of a very weak West this year. They shouldn't be damaging their changes of doing so to coddle one guy's ego. The Kings won two cups with Quick and made him a very rich dude. He will have a role with the team forever and his number will be retired so he'll get his day in the sun with fawning adulation from the fans. He's just mad because he felt he was owed a free ride to another deep playoff run to pad his resume. He'll retire in two month's time anyways.

I definitely agree, especially when it comes to a goalie who you can't hide, but it will always be really funny to me how Schneider managed to somehow have a worse record than Brodeur in this season: https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000512014.html

I'm honestly extremely wistful about that team in general. I like to think that if Schneider starts like 65 games or something stupid that year, they could have been a solid playoff team. So many memories of Jagr and Zubrus having the puck on the wall for entire periods leading to point shots into legs. Missing the playoffs with a 55% xGF is too pure even for modern day Carolina

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 1, 2023

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

eXXon posted:

It's extremely stupid that the NHL calculates cap hits every day including off days instead of just on game days so it sure seems like they're deliberately encouraging stupid paper transactions like that.

It's so everything is even and equitable sorry you don't like spreadsheet shenanigans. At least it isn't SAP. Probably.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
What would the problems be with just saying "at no point can you have a team hit the ice getting paid more than $82 million"?

I guess bad contracts would just get scratched so the PA would have an issue.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Aye Doc posted:

such a good year for the video game too

Pfft what?

Trading fighting for one-timers was a terrible deal.

Plus now I can't make Wayne Gretzky's head bleed.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
That trade is genuinely shocking. I always thought Jeff Carter would retire a King after his success during the Cup years. But then he wasn't originally drafted by them. But Quick?

I guess it shouldn't be too surprising. I guess if Brodeur can retire a Blue and Alfredsson can retire a Red Wing, anything is possible. But then those guys signed with those teams, rather than being traded. And Kane is going from lottery team to Cup contender.

All things considered (drafted by team, massive success with team, decade+ with team, last year or contract, traded from playoff team to lottery team), is there a precedent for this?

Kings GMs have been ruthless in the past. Lombardi sent Visnovsky to Edmonton a day or two before his new contract and NTC kicked in.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Mr. Kite posted:

All things considered (drafted by team, massive success with team, decade+ with team, last year or contract, traded from playoff team to lottery team), is there a precedent for this?

no, usually there is no market for lovely goalies

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Not a lottery team but the Pens benched MAF behind Murray for a couple years before letting him go to Vegas in the expansion draft (before anyone imagined Vegas would actually be immediately good). Closest thing I can think of. But as beloved as MAF was, he was never actually a great player.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Flames had an .844 save percentage in 11 games in February.

Seems bad.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Trading a franchise icon for Gavrikov and Korpisalo is lol

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Misanthrope posted:

Flames had an .844 save percentage in 11 games in February.

Seems bad.

Picked a bad year to keep rolling with Markstrom on my fantasy team

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Not a lottery team but the Pens benched MAF behind Murray for a couple years before letting him go to Vegas in the expansion draft (before anyone imagined Vegas would actually be immediately good). Closest thing I can think of. But as beloved as MAF was, he was never actually a great player.

Yeah Maf jumps to mind there. Beloved franchise icon and (at the time) the longest tenured Penguin player. They didn't trade him at the deadline but I don't think Maf was pleased at all with how things ended with the draft and the Pens choosing Murray over him

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1630947813516353536

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Trading a franchise icon for Gavrikov and Korpisalo is lol

I think it isn't the trade so much as the complete lack of respect for the human aspect and say planning for him to not have to fly home with the team. He and his agent know it's a buisness and at this point he can just retire (which he should consider as he is bad).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Quick's a guy I could see the Penguins being in on, unfortunately. They do need a goalie; there won't be much interest, because he sucks, so they could afford him; and he's a recognizeable name so it would help Hextall pretend he's Doing Something. Only thing is, he would probably be a downgrade from DeSmith, which is not an easy thing to accomplish.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

Quick's sitting at an .876 right now... that's bad right?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/billmeltzer/status/1630980201273344000?t=jomm3aa2cK3A2pix9eBHag&s=19

Look at that 4th line

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah Maf jumps to mind there. Beloved franchise icon and (at the time) the longest tenured Penguin player. They didn't trade him at the deadline but I don't think Maf was pleased at all with how things ended with the draft and the Pens choosing Murray over him

Didn't it come out after they won the Cup that he'd been told a couple months earlier that was coming?

Imagine all that effort knowing you wouldn't be there the next year. I was told my last job would be ending last August after what would be akin to their Stanley Cup and hosed off in July.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 1, 2023

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
31 games played .876, 3.5 GAA, 10 quality starts for a .370 ratio and 8 really bad starts, and it's all capped off by -23.5 GSAA.

Boy that would be funny.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
We'll always have 2012
pre:
GS 	W 	L 	SV% 	GAA 	SO
20	16	4	.946	1.41	3
And then 2014, where his stats weren't as good, but he proved he was objectively better than Henrique Lindqvast.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Isentropy posted:

I think it isn't the trade so much as the complete lack of respect for the human aspect and say planning for him to not have to fly home with the team. He and his agent know it's a buisness and at this point he can just retire (which he should consider as he is bad).

Sure, but also trying to sell this to a team's fanbase. Its not like "hey we traded beloved franchise icon for long term new icon or a star player to help get us over the top". Its "we traded franchise icon for career backup on a heater and a plug dman. Also they're both UFAs"

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Rangers buying out Lundqvist maybe comes close. He didn't want to go out that way but his contract and position of wanting to be the #1 still were an issue. But they did at least discuss with him about it I think rather than pull the rug out from under him

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Jackets may have just taken him on the off chance some team throws them a 4th rounder because he used to be Jonathan Quick. If no one bites by the deadline and he doesn't really want to play for Columbus, it wouldn't shock me if they just waived/released him.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Sure, but also trying to sell this to a team's fanbase. Its not like "hey we traded beloved franchise icon for long term new icon or a star player to help get us over the top". Its "we traded franchise icon for career backup on a heater and a plug dman. Also they're both UFAs"

"Also we threw in a first round pick because Jim Benning apparently broke in to the head office and got control of the fax machine."

Misanthrope posted:

Quick's sitting at an .876 right now... that's bad right?

That's worse than Markstrom, so yes.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Didn't it come out after they won the Cup that he'd been told a couple months earlier that was coming?

Imagine all that effort knowing you wouldn't be there the next year.

It came out that the Org approached MAF about waiving his no movement clause in February or something along those and he was initially really upset, which can't blame him there, but realized or came around on he wasn't going to be the starter in Pittsburgh anymore so being the presumable starter in Vegas might be better. Also I think the Pens were considering buying him out.

Which if you want to talk about cutthroat GM JR is top tier rear end in a top hat there. Though Vegas then shanked MAF anyways.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Also they're both UFAs"
drat. I didn't know that. May be Blake is hoping for a Fiala situation - trade a 1st then signed to an extension. But Fiala was an RFA so whatever.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I really hope they extend Gavrikov cause lol

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Gavrikov sucks so good luck with that. This years Ben Chiarot.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

grack posted:

That's worse than Markstrom, so yes.

Hey there's still 20 games left in the season, he can get there.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

quote:

If the Kings qualify for the 2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs, the Blue Jackets will acquire the club's first-round pick in the 2023 NHL Draft. If the Kings do not qualify for postseason play, the Blue Jackets will acquire Los Angeles' second round picks in the 2023 and 2024 NHL Drafts.

So it's either Quick+2023 1st+2023 3rd or Quick+2023 2nd+2024 2nd+2023 3rd.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

It came out that the Org approached MAF about waiving his no movement clause in February or something along those and he was initially really upset, which can't blame him there, but realized or came around on he wasn't going to be the starter in Pittsburgh anymore so being the presumable starter in Vegas might be better. Also I think the Pens were considering buying him out.

Which if you want to talk about cutthroat GM JR is top tier rear end in a top hat there. Though Vegas then shanked MAF anyways.

To be fair, beloved as he is among other players and fans, he's always been quite the opposite for coaches. His lifelong hearing of nothing more than the indistinct wah-wa-wa-wah of Charlie Brown's teacher whenever his coach talks came home to roost.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Levitate posted:

Rangers buying out Lundqvist maybe comes close. He didn't want to go out that way but his contract and position of wanting to be the #1 still were an issue. But they did at least discuss with him about it I think rather than pull the rug out from under him

They also did it during the offseason giving him the ability to find a team, rather than trading him to the worst team in the East.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1630977582261731349

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

https://twitter.com/user/status/1630995682743001089

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Good luck Lars. I don’t really get it from Colorado’s POV though. Don’t they need a second line center more than anything?

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

maybe the Kings would like to bring back a franchise icon

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Mind_Taker posted:

Good luck Lars. I don’t really get it from Colorado’s POV though. Don’t they need a second line center more than anything?

probably just loading up on depth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

tinstaach posted:

maybe the Kings would like to bring back a franchise icon

I hear he can be had for the low, low price of a 1st.