Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I am really happy to have Joe Pavelski onboard for another year, there has been no sign of decline in his game yet so I'm looking forward to see what he can accomplish in his age 39 season :)

The Stars are really looking to have an abundance of riches up front next year, if they can improve the blueline pairings even a little bit I think they will have a strong cup contending team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Klingberg is probably going to be available, they could get him

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Starsfan posted:

The Stars are really looking to have an abundance of riches up front next year,

Do not test the hockey gods

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

crashlanding posted:

Fitz has been focused on players with years of team control, Kane is a no-go for multiple reasons (not sure if you meant Kane or just being buyers in general). Gotta think Grier will pull the trigger on a Meier trade at some point, makes no sense to sign another Hertl-like deal.

I could see LouLam making a bid for Kane. He loves his old creaky veterans, whether they perform well (Parise) or not (Chara), and Barzal does need a scoring winger now that Oliver Wahlstrom is on indefinite IR

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Pavelski has never had the greatest skills, but he's a very smart player imo. As a result his play hasn't fallen off like most 38 year olds.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
The winner in all this playoff setup bullshit is Tampa 'cause if not for the stupid divisional breakdown they'd be dragged into the muck of the Metro as well. Sure they have a few games in hand, but way less pressure having to even consider the possibility of competing against Metro teams and keep an eye on the Wings or Buffalo.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Tampa is like 5th in the entire league and has a higher points percentage than every team in the metro except Carolina.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
They're basically on par with New Jersey having played an easier schedule. My point was they have the luxury to not even have to consider having their position threatened because of the dumbass divisional playoff vs the absolute slog the Metro is going to be.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/habsfantv_/status/1609666203642888193?s=46&t=8l1C5kIrvSMpGdPY_PcZEg

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I knew he was having a career revitalization but I didn't realize Erik Karlsson was already at 53 points goddamn.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I haven't really been paying attention to the Panthers but my god they looked bad tonight. Is it really all Maurice?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I knew he was having a career revitalization but I didn't realize Erik Karlsson was already at 53 points goddamn.
He's leading the league in Even Strength points

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Florida's defence is awful, they basically have to have a winning percentage close to last year's team the rest of the way to even have a chance at the playoffs.

They've really pushed the chips in after last year and don't have a 1st rounder for the next 3 drafts.

I'm still baffled by the Maurice hiring, man he must interview well.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Matt Zerella posted:

I haven't really been paying attention to the Panthers but my god they looked bad tonight. Is it really all Maurice?

Yes. Yes it is.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Bob remains bad, Knight is league average and no better, Florida thinned their depth for better top end, their special teams have gotten worse, and Paul Maurice is somewhere between a non-factor that doesn't improve the sum of his teams parts or is actively detrimental.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Maurice has been coaching in the NHL essentially non stop for 26 years and is only 55

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Chad Sexington posted:

They almost never call that too much mans.

and then they know just the right time to call it for maximum drama, see game 5 of the 2022 Stanley Cup Finals

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Matt Zerella posted:

There's a million small things making this year awful. Duclair's been out the entire time, Barkov, Tkachuk, Verhaeghe, Hornquist and Ekblad have all been injured for medium-length stretches, Sam Bennett has gone back to looking like a 4th liner on the Flames despite playing as the 1C and 2C, Sam Reinhart went from playing well and being snakebitten to just looking straight up bad, the Staal brothers are absolute disasters, Ekblad has not at all looked like a #1 d-man, the rest of the defense is led by loving Gustav Forsling and Brandon Montour who are... fine but really not good enough, Bobrovsky is just a huge pumpkin (not the current GM's fault), Knight is league-average with this godawful defense not helping him out, they're 24th in the PP despite having an insane amount of top-end forward talent, they're 21st on the PK because they play both Staals on that thing and they suuuuuuuck, they have zero cap space and frequently can't even roster 23 players, they might have to trade one of their top six at a loss just to bring Duclair back, Bobrovsky is still taking $10 mil of the cap, they don't have any firsts for a few years, they had a few young forwards to see if they could give anything but they still look outmatched at an NHL level, they have zero defensive prospects...

And, yes, they hired Paul Maurice. I don't want to hear anything about how they're 6th in expected goals in the league thanks to his systems. They're putrid to watch. Last year's Panthers generated so much offense off the rush for both them and the other team, and they were always in the game. The team this year genuinely looks like they've quit. I really, really, really hope that Maurice is either fired or retires again after destroying another locker room's culture.

I watch one game a week this season mostly because of how depressing the Panthers have been, along with four of my other teams all fighting for Bedard.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

clean ayers act posted:

Maurice has been coaching in the NHL essentially non stop for 26 years and is only 55

He is the losingest coach in NHL history

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Jesus gently caress, we're still paying this - I thought it had ended by now

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Eric the Mauve posted:

He is the losingest coach in NHL history

It is also possible that he coaches the most games all-time.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
The outdoor game is forecast to be well above freezing, is this gonna work?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

tomanton posted:

The outdoor game is forecast to be well above freezing, is this gonna work?

Yes. This has happened before. The NHL has a literal crack team of ice making experts they send to these games to create and maintain the playing surface. They have huge chillers and stuff. From what players have said it’s not great ice when ambient is above 0c, but it’s certainly good enough to play on. You might see more scrapes and there will be some soft spots near the hash marks on whichever end is getting the most sun.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
It's above freezing for sure, but 45 degrees (like 7 celsius for you Canadians) is still at least somewhat cool. As Arivia said the NHL has a good team for these, they've done these in warmer locations, and there just might be some weird softer spots. From a player experience it's actually probably more comfortable than an actual NHL rink, which is designed for the fan experience. I got to play at the Capitals arena when I was in high school and playing on that ice is warm, even downright hot. Everyone was sweating buckets because on the ice it feels like its at least 60F/15C with the building being at a temperature that is optimal for the fans to be comfortable rather than for the ice to be super cold.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 2, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

They've played outdoor games in Vegas and LA. It'll be fine

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Rain is usually a much bigger problem. The game at Heinz field had some hilarious puddles that the puck would get stuck in and they rotated the teams every 10 minutes and would broom/squeegee as much water as possible.

Of course we had the game in Tahoe with Philadelphia which was also crazy warm where we were treated with hours of Nascar loser being 'zanny' and trying to fill time.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/NHLBruins/status/1609944868444409858

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1609940917896777728
lol the bruins/red sox actually put together real throwback uniforms while the pirates just gave the penguins ugly-rear end military jerseys from the back of the team shop

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

They've played outdoor games in Vegas and LA. It'll be fine

The Vegas outdoor game was a farce. Ice kept melting and they ended up delaying the game by four hours or so

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Arivia posted:

. You might see more scrapes and there will be some soft spots near the hash marks on whichever end is getting the most sun.

the greatest NHL quote in the last 20 years is still "the sun is our enemy" during that lake placid disaster

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Seattle vs Vegas winter classic next year in Seattle

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Up at Inspiration Lake in the enchantments.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Lake Placid was also poo poo ice because lol beachside hockey not ideal

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
NHL give us a Rags/Isles Winter Classic in Central Park you HACK FRAUDS

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Jamwad Hilder posted:

That seems more promising

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

xzzy posted:

Up at Inspiration Lake in the enchantments.

I had the thought they should play it at the rink in Winthrop so it's actually you know, cold but they obviously can't pack 40k people in there. I guess it's cool they're doing one here but it's going to be 51° and sprinkling the whole time and the teams will trading ends every 10 minutes after a period.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

.Spec posted:

I had the thought they should play it at the rink in Winthrop so it's actually you know, cold but they obviously can't pack 40k people in there. I guess it's cool they're doing one here but it's going to be 51° and sprinkling the whole time and the teams will trading ends every 10 minutes after a period.

It'll be fine. Worst comes to worst with regards to rain, they can close the roof on T-Mobile Park. I'm pretty excited even though I am absolutely not going to be able to get a ticket.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

hah I completely spaced on the fact the stadium has a retractable roof

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
having an outdoor game indoors would be very funny

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Texas had an outdoor game

It was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Jamwad Hilder posted:

having an outdoor game indoors would be very funny

2010 IIHF Worlds in Germany actually had one game (Germany-USA) in a soccer stadium with the retractable roof closed. 77k fans, and the atmosphere seemed amazing (notably they had fans right against the glass and some of the low seats must have been terrible). Anyway it wouldn't be a bad idea to try it for some Stadium Series game one day.