Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Did any of the teams involved in big trades/signings this summer actually end up better off? Columbus, Calgary, Florida, and Edmonton all stink in various ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

achillesforever6 posted:

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1609940917896777728
lol the bruins/red sox actually put together real throwback uniforms while the pirates just gave the penguins ugly-rear end military jerseys from the back of the team shop

Next level funny when you realize the same people own the Red Sox and the Penguins

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/taj1944/status/1610014206082023424?s=46&t=N91awsJRzVZ9O7L7VIG4pg

This owns, contract kicks in next season

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Furnaceface posted:

Did any of the teams involved in big trades/signings this summer actually end up better off? Columbus, Calgary, Florida, and Edmonton all stink in various ways.

Columbus was always going to be bad, one star player can’t fix that roster, even before injuries.

Edmonton is lol Edmonton.

Calgary I donno , I guess not clicking ?

Florida Matt Tkachuk is 100% playing as expected and has great numbers. Honestly I think it’s really Paul Maurice creates losing teams. What a bad move.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Came here to post this.

It’s cool how he went from probably returning a first round pick+ to a completely untradeable asset.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Weegar has good underlying numbers and Huberdeau has started to pass the puck into the net a little better... the trade looks less horrible now than it did a few months ago.

That Huberdeau extension tho... I hope the Habs still want him in like 4 or 5 years.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Pens with the same annoying mistakes they've made all year and Sullivan's usages are being vexing and problematic.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Ullmark is gonna win the Vezina. 21-1-1 record, 1.90 GAA, .938 sv%. The goal the Penguins scored today was only the 45th he's allowed all year. I think people weren't sure about the signing when it happened (I was on the fence personally) and obviously the team in front of him is very good, but these are still crazy numbers. He's been great.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Ullmark is gonna win the Vezina. 21-1-1 record, 1.90 GAA, .938 sv%. The goal the Penguins scored today was only the 45th he's allowed all year. I think people weren't sure about the signing when it happened (I was on the fence personally) and obviously the team in front of him is very good, but these are still crazy numbers. He's been great.

Linus Ullmark has more Ls in his name than he does on the season

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Quick had better than league average goaltending for 5 out of the last 11 seasons so the infamous tweet was almost half right.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Furnaceface posted:

The Senators stink but Claude Giroux is great and Debrincat seems to be coming to life.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Pens with the same annoying mistakes they've made all year and Sullivan's usages are being vexing and problematic.

I mean there are obvious problem spots on the roster (several of them) and it's not like other teams are unaware of them.

I've retained my optimism all year so far and still kinda just assume they'll rip off one more hot streak yet. But rationally, I must admit it looks unlikely they'll make the playoffs this year. I just hope they Bedard-protect their upcoming first round pick when they trade it.

e: and frankly I'd rather they miss the playoffs and get a 2% chance at Bedard than snag the 8 seed and get swept by Boston one last time for a swan song.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 3, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I think either way there are going to be major changes this offseason, Burke will "retire" and Sullivan will probably reach a mutual agreement with the team to let him out of his contract and go to NYR or whatever. I guess Hextall could stick around but probably not.

Or maybe not idk, the Pens seem content to keep running it back forever and maybe just barely making the playoffs and getting crushed in the first round'll be enough for ownership to load 'em back up.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think either way there are going to be major changes this offseason, Burke will "retire" and Sullivan will probably reach a mutual agreement with the team to let him out of his contract and go to NYR or whatever. I guess Hextall could stick around but probably not.

Or maybe not idk, the Pens seem content to keep running it back forever and maybe just barely making the playoffs and getting crushed in the first round'll be enough for ownership to load 'em back up.

Dumo's gone regardless because of the cap so that's addition by subtraction. Zucker is gone unless he takes a generous paycut.
That there's been so little word on Petry makes me wonder if he may end up on LTIR-island come the offseason.

I wouldn't really mind seeing any of the non-Crosby/Malkin/Letang pieces moved. Something's gotta give

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

Came here to post this.

It’s cool how he went from probably returning a first round pick+ to a completely untradeable asset.

Wherever dummy thought up the "Bruce there it is" chant has a lot to answer for.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

revtoiletduck posted:

The Senators stink but Claude Giroux is great and Debrincat seems to be coming to life.

A lifetime of Gonchars and Kovalevs signing here to ride out into the sunset with one last big payday had jaded me, Claude has been unbelievable since day one

https://twitter.com/nastyknuckles/status/1608649962514165765?s=46&t=N91awsJRzVZ9O7L7VIG4pg

I mean come on!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

That there's been so little word on Petry makes me wonder if he may end up on LTIR-island come the offseason.

Had the same thought but more along the lines of right now, to open cap space for the inevitable picks-for-veteran-rental trade. I fear they're going to end up meeting Arizona's demand for Chychrun who IMO isn't remotely worth it. Would love to be wrong about either or both of those things.

I don't know, I'm just shocked and amazed that trading 23 and 26 year old defensemen for 32 and 35 year old defensemen didn't work out. Who would've imagined?

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 3, 2023

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m glad the Pens lost, it helps the Caps in the standings.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

I'd like to say it true but my mom told me not to lie

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Dirty Burger posted:

A lifetime of Gonchars and Kovalevs signing here to ride out into the sunset with one last big payday had jaded me, Claude has been unbelievable since day one

https://twitter.com/nastyknuckles/status/1608649962514165765?s=46&t=N91awsJRzVZ9O7L7VIG4pg

I mean come on!

He even looks happier being out of Philly.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Looks like the Rangers are finally vindicated on trading Miller for attitude issues.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I used to think Miller would have been a perfect deadline acquisition for the leafs (prior to his extension) and now I’m once again glad I’m not an NHL GM

Also, unrelated, but if a Western team could win the Bedard lottery that would just be super

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

No worries. It will be the Blackhawks.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

the Oilers can miss the playoffs if they get another Connor

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

the Oilers can miss the playoffs if they get another Connor

The Connor Squander

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Furnaceface posted:

The Connor Squander

They're already squandering one Connor they don't need to do it to another one

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 3, 2023

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

I am curious on why the Oilers hasn't been able to build anything good out of all the high drafts picks over the years. They've had different GMs and coaches, but result is still the same? What is wrong with them? Is it just Edmonton the city causing it? Granted, McDraisatl has helped them become a playoff team but considering their off the charts talent it's almost inevitible. Anyone more familiar with Edmonton have a working theory on why it just isn't working for them?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yes my working theory is that they are run by idiots.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Emetic Hustler posted:

I am curious on why the Oilers hasn't been able to build anything good out of all the high drafts picks over the years. They've had different GMs and coaches, but result is still the same? What is wrong with them? Is it just Edmonton the city causing it? Granted, McDraisatl has helped them become a playoff team but considering their off the charts talent it's almost inevitible. Anyone more familiar with Edmonton have a working theory on why it just isn't working for them?

Their drafting has been horrendous and their player development/evaluation horrible for as long as I've been watching.
Why that's been the case across multiple regimes I have no idea but that's the crux of it.

They draft high and that (mostly) works out but then they'll do incredibly stupid things like trading young players for Duncan Keith, or 6th round draft picks, and hilariously overpaying UFAs, or signing good but poisoned players
it's just death from a thousand cuts of mismanagement

I'd be fascinated to hear how much of their scouting/development staff has been the same over the last two decades but regardless, there is something deeply rotten and wrong on an organizational level far beyond just a coach or GM (though those have sucked too)

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Emetic Hustler posted:

Their entire organizational structure was (still is maybe?) polluted with already dumb guys who spent the 80’s and 90’s getting hit in the head.

(this is also why most other teams suck)

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yes my working theory is that they are run by idiots.

a fascinating theory with some real legs

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Emetic Hustler posted:

McDavid just isn’t a winner

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

No worries. It will be the Blackhawks.

The funniest outcome would be the Habs getting Bedard for half a season of Ben Chiarot from Floridas first.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/chrispronger/status/1610282040544432130?s=20&t=KjmpfCSoPPgTz7K-2Xlelw

Chris Pronger is a good dude. If you don’t know what happened, this is reference to some scary poo poo that went down on Monday Night Football:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35368372/damar-hamlin-collapses-field-bills-bengals-temporarily-suspended

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I don't want to see Bedard go to Chicago, Montreal, Vancouver, or Philadelphia. Mostly because I don't like those teams. I'm neutral on San Jose and Arizona. I wouldn't be mad about him ending up there but it's not the most interesting spot to end up either. If he ends up in Anaheim or Columbus I think that'd be fun. Lots of potential interesting teammates in those markets. Who wouldn't want to see Bedard and Zegras or Bedard centering Gaudreau and Laine?

St. Louis might also end up very bad since they suck and now two of their best players are hurt. I'm hoping they don't get to draft in the top 5 though. I think any of the teams mentioned before "deserve" Bedard (or Fantilli, Carlsson, etc) more than they do.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Bedard on the Flyers would be fun even though I don't like the Flyers. The league is just more fun when the Flyers are good though. They're a rival to so many teams and a good villain. Ditto Montreal.

Anaheim or Columbus would be fun given those teams have some decent young talent already. Arizona would be amusing because of the thought of a player of that caliber toiling away there.

Vancouver would be kinda boring though I guess there's the hometown connection. San Jose seems like they have a good fanbase so I wouldn't mind that.

Chicago getting him would be yet more confirmation that we're in the worst timeline

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

Vancouver or Edmonton getting him is the absolute worst case scenario for humanity

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

gently caress bitchass Chris pronger

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

mennoknight posted:

Vancouver or Edmonton getting him is the absolute worst case scenario for humanity

Calgary dropping and getting him would be pretty funny for the Battle of the Connors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ginette Reno posted:

Bedard on the Flyers would be fun even though I don't like the Flyers. The league is just more fun when the Flyers are good though. They're a rival to so many teams and a good villain.

That's a good point but I still am only moving them to the Neutral column