Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost

fawning deference posted:

Ruff has said as much that Fitzgerald is going to add at the deadline, and the Devils have a need for a shooting top six winger, so I expect them to make a splash too.

Fitz has been focused on players with years of team control, Kane is a no-go for multiple reasons (not sure if you meant Kane or just being buyers in general). Gotta think Grier will pull the trigger on a Meier trade at some point, makes no sense to sign another Hertl-like deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

fawning deference posted:

UMich coach said that he would "bet his mortgage" on Luke Hughes being with the Devils after the end of the college season

Hamilton-Graves
Marino-Siegenthaler
Hughes-Severson

What a disgusting D

The problem with Luke is if he plays a playoff game they burn a year of his ELC, Nemec would be different.

I am praying the Rangers do something dumb and trade for Kane, dude is cooked.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

poo poo gently caress...Schmid got called up, Lindy talking at 5, Vanecek better not be injured

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

T-Bone posted:

I don't think Luke will play in the playoffs unless they're losing and are looking for momentum.

Agreed, unless there are injuries I think the six dmen is pretty set. I'm hopeful they don't deal Severson, that man has been through a lot of poo poo, he deserves to stick with this team if he wants. (Resigning him is another story.)

I'm concerned that NJ has some structural flaws that a decent coach will go to work on in a 7 game series. Haula-Boqvist-Mercer would be a nice third line if they can actually get another top six winger for Jack. Counting the days until Wood and McLeod are off this team (c'mon Hockey Canada investigation, what's taking so long).

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Team with 60% goals for has....wait for it....58% expected goals for 5v5. Team has 57% goals for all situations and 56% expected goals for. Yes yes. Extremely broken and inaccurate yes.

Yeah but how are they in grit/60?

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

eXXon posted:

Just lol if your sports grudges aren't all decades old, involving long-since retired players.

e: gently caress YOU Steve Webb and Cam Janssen you pieces of poo poo!!

Phil Housley sucked

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

The Blue Jackets stuff was mostly because it led to a summer of "how bad must NJ be for JG to pick COLUMBUS." Most preseason predictions had Columbus ahead of us too.

Chad Sexington posted:

If you're going to root for them to fail, do it because they're knowingly icing someone who committed sexual assault allegedly maybe probably.

IF GOD drat HOCKEY CANADA EVER RELEASES THE REPORT WE CAN BE DONE WITH HIM

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U50i_cxgvDY

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

As it will likely involve the Bruins, I'll allow it.

I heard Bieksa and Edler were practicing taking shits at center ice during the morning skate

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Misanthrope posted:

Looks like a stiff wind could take Connor out.

Always surprises me when a stick placed on the hip causes the knees to crumple

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

I'm actually surprised it leaked this late if there was a 4 week wait

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

I can't imagine any coach with an ounce of self-respect will ever consider working for Aquilini or JR after the way they've treated Boudreau.

Which is how we end up with Rick Tocchet, I suppose

There's always Babcock next

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Devils just surpassed their point total from last year, I wonder what the earliest that happened was. I saw 17-18 Avs did it on Jan. 13.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Powershift posted:

1994 sharks did it on Dec 3.

Granted they only had 24 points to beat.

Still cool, when you're that bad you still have to, you know, improve

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

https://twitter.com/BatchHockey/status/1617267335609618432?s=20&t=RdCaz4geaqxU33moOAniPQ

Sorry if Vancouver can't handle HONESTY

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

T-Bone posted:

I think the likely return from a playoff team is a 1st + a solid prospect. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd as the cherry. I don't think they get a 1st AND a top prospect from anyone.

For like the Devils I'm betting if something went through it would be like 1st + Holtz or Casey + late rounder, or 1st + Mukhamadullin + 2nd, something like that.

I saw a rumor from a somewhat reliable source that it's top prospect + 2 picks, I wonder if Holtz qualifies as he's best buds with Eklund and can't carve out a space here yet.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

T-Bone posted:

That's pretty realistic cap wise though. It's almost certain to happen if the Devils bring in anyone on a larger salary.

It's not like he's on a multi-year deal anyway, why wouldn't San Jose take him to make the cap work if they liked the prospect return?

Dude is only owed like 200k in actual dollars after the deadline too anyway.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

Kakko is on it twice :smuggo:

Kid Line has 51% xGF, definition of mid

e: For reference, drop it to 150 mins and Bastian-McLeod-Wood is the best line in the NHL

crashlanding fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 28, 2023

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

T-Bone posted:

some stuff from NJ.com

Rare to hear much about Mukhamadullin/Grtisyuk. Interesting especially how they view Mukhamadullin. If they think he's far enough along I wonder if that makes them hesitant on resigning Graves. I guess it depends how many years Graves wants in the end. It would be wild for a team with playoff/contending aspirations to go with three D under the age of 22 (next year I mean). Probably more likely if they keep all three is you see Luke next season, Nemec making a serious push, and Mukhamadullin coming up in 24-25.

You'd think something is gonna give with Luke Hughes/Nemec/Casey/Mukhamadullin/Bahl/Okhotyuk all in the system. Hughes and Nemec aren't getting moved, and they seem to like Casey/Mukhamadullin a lot. Between Bahl/Okhotyuk I like Bahl a lot more, he shows way more on the puck at this stage than Okhotyuk, who is giving me David Hale flashbacks. Surely San Jose is asking for one of Casey or Mukmahdullin in any deal (or even both), and possibly one of Bahl/Okhotyuk too.

Apparently Casey had a pretty nasty looking knee injury last night though, hopefully it's not bad!

https://twitter.com/InfernalAccess/status/1619725671273746433

uhhh maybe play Sharongovich instead of Miles on the 2nd unit

They seem a little higher on Mukhamadullin than I currently am, he looked lost in the couple of games for Utica last year and his only production comes on the PP. Gritsyuk is pretty interesting.

Casey's injury was odd, looked like his skate caught in the ice while he ran into a guy up high, not a typical knee injury looking play. Bahl is emergency 7D, I don't think they'll resign Graves, Hughes with Marino feels like a slam dunk next year. Not sure if they'll look at Nemec making the jump too.

What's also interesting is it sounds like Fitz offered Bratt a long term deal between Nico and Jack (somewhere just under 8M/yr) and Bratt wanted over 8M and didn't negotiate. If he tries to push it close to 9M after this year, Fitz has a dilemma on his hands. All the better to try to get Meier now to reduce the risk of being forced into an uncomfortably large contract for Bratt or forced into trading him with no real plan B.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

T-Bone posted:

If they have to go to like 9m on Bratt they just should. They're never going to get enough back in a potential trade

Yeah I just worry that if he wanted over 8 last summer, he'll probably want over 9 after this season. The upside on a contract like that feels like "Bratt meeting expectations" I'm not sure you want too many contracts like that on the books for that kind of cap hit when Mercer is going to eat up most of the cap rise after next year. Helloooooo Ondrej Palat contract.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Koopa Kid posted:

Ben Scrivens’ nickname in the AHL was “The Professor” and yes, his education was in hospitality management

Joe Juneau built a dang plane!

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Levitate posted:

Kreider seems decently smart. His degree is in communications! He speaks Spanish and Russian as well. At least, he seems more thoughtful about things than a lot of guys

Ehhh communications is a classic jock degree

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Raty is good, Lou is senile, Isles are ridiculous

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Horvat joins the under 30 forward lineup of Barzal and Ross Johnston in NY. Tell me how their pick next year is going to be worse than 12th overall.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i hope you're not expecting some nuanced explanation of cap management theory because I'm not that smart. I just don't like the way NHL Rangers GM Chris Drury looks, or acts. But especially looks.

I think I made the last version of The Post when Evander Kane hosed up Nazem Kadri and injured him in the playoffs.

the gist of it is: there is an unfathomable amount of incentive for guys to injure other guys in the playoffs, and saying that the NHL could/should legislate that out of the game is like saying the NHL should legislate hockey sticks out of the game. it's there in all sports, but especially in hockey it's an inseparable part of the national character/belief for like half the sport's home country. if you had to describe the most important Canadian cultural stories with respect to how large parts of the country perceive themselves on like a mythological level, somewhere up there would be Bobby Clarke slashing Khalamov's ankle in the 1972 Summit Series against the Soviets and then saying "if I had never learned to lay a two-hander on once in a while, I'd have never left Flin Flon", the mass graves of Indigenous kids and coverup, and Trudeau doing blackface like a thousand times and getting re-elected.

it's never going away, but you're also not supposed to talk about it, but everyone knows it's going on and it sure is nice having Jake on the team come playoff time. I don't begrudge people even in these threads talking about it. if this weren't a message board, I'd be like 90% of the rest of the people in hockey and say "Ah yeah, jeeze, injuries, sure," and then "Anyway, gotta do Whatever It Takes to win this series boys" while we trade a game of Evander Kane for 10 games of Nazem Kadri. when you have 50 years of nationally celebrating a guy doing a home run swing on an enemy guy's ankle to win an important match, that stuff tends to be instructive.

This is the dumbest poo poo right here.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

This is the NHL, creative trades are not allowed

when was the last 3 team trade of actual consequence

Dach/Romanov/1st rounder?

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

mcmagic posted:

This is wrong. Wood was way better last year than he was any time in his career before. And he was even good in the first 15 games of this season. Agreed that he's been dogshit since then for whatever reason. He probably should be a scratch.

I have to agree, last year was my favorite year of the Miles Wood experience (he played three games after having hip surgery in October).

Catching up now, but the funniest thing was Gaudreau called up Columbus and was like "please make me an offer, don't make me go to NJ/NYI" and they were caught completely off guard. Fitz thought he had it in the bag since his son was teammates with him at BC. JG and his agent just ghosted him. Go ahead and boo, I don't care but Devils twitter is the worst, BrattPack is an idiot.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

T-Bone posted:

Getting Meier signed long term isn't going all in though, it's just adding a really good piece for the next 7 or 8 years who's still in his mid 20s.

Can't believe the Kings went all in trading for Fiala last summer

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

davecrazy posted:

Looking forward to the Devils / Bruins series this spring. Whatever round it happens.

it can only happen in the cup final (you heard me western conference)

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Waiting for Meier to get traded for a month has ruined me

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

So potential injury concerns:
Holtz crosschecked in Utica left the game injured hasn't played since
Blackwood tweaked something in practice hasn't played since
....Maybe Mukhamadullin said something bad about Putin and lost a fight with a window?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

T-Bone posted:

"Not a major piece" makes me think it's Blackwood

It's probably Okhotiuk who is injured, my god Zetterlund, Johnsson, Okhotiuk and a first for Meier?

SJ can't take any other contracts without going over the limit