Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
The Sabres should have beaten the Bruins in regulation at TD Garden yesterday. Zacha is still at the top of the face off circle when Marchand jumps on to change for him. Marchand is collecting the puck for a breakaway at the Sabres blue line and Zacha still hasn’t made it off the ice.

7 Bruins on the ice at the time of the goal. Lmfao

https://twitter.com/evanmarinofsky/status/1609284202108780548?s=46&t=zYIL2fu9u0CbShbhHzi6NA

Edit: was really satisfying to watch our 21 year old center strip Bergeron of the puck in OT leading to the game winner.

https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/1609292895999205378?s=20&t=J776fb8SzHLcUBotRGN66g

th3t00t fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Chad Sexington posted:

They almost never call that too much mans.
When the too much man gets a breakaway and scores a goal? It's the time when they should call it the most.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Jamwad Hilder posted:

lmfao

Edit: this story is actually more insane than the headline too
This is Tiger King level insanity.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
https://twitter.com/TheChargingBUF/status/1614461126804135936?s=20&t=EC73bJxbBBVVLolxMpCS1g

Prettiest goal of Okposo's 6 year Sabre career? Probably. Yup.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
The Sabres were on a great run until the thrilling OT win against the Wild.

1-4-0 since then. Played well in 2 of those 5 games and were complete trash in the other 3.

Tage Thompson has also gone ice cold with 2 assists and no goals during this stretch. He's not really snake bit, as he's not generating crazy chances anymore either.

Disappointing that as soon as the team got within striking distance of the playoffs that they've fallen apart again.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Who could have foreseen this? Aside from everyone who isn't a Sabres fan.
My early season prediction of finishing 18th in the league still seems about right for the Sabres. Teams that finish 18th tend to flirt with a wild card spot at times and then ultimately disappoint.

If they could get better at losing games in OT rather than regulation they'd be right up there in points with Calgary and Pittsburgh and sitting in a WC spot too.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Buffalo never flirted with the wild card spot and even with a loser point in *every game they had in hand* which was 4 iirc they would still be 2 points behind the Isles and the Pens.

As it stands Buffalo is flirting with Philadelphia and Detroit in vaguely passable lower mid table mediocrity.
To a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 12 years, coming within 4 points with 4 games in hand in January is "flirting with a playoff spot", even though they immediately struck out and wasted the games in hand.

Where would you rate the Penguins? Buffalo has 21 wins in 42gp. Pens have 22 wins in 43gp. They're 4 OTLs and a Skinner cross check to Geuntzel's face apart.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Where would I rate the Penguins - huge breath and 20,000 words later . Nah. I'd rate the Penguins as disappointing followed by unbelievably inconsistent. The nuts and bolts on that we're skipping here.

You want to talk points though? Ok. Happy to do that. Buffalo has 16 regulation wins. That is 1 less regulation win than the Flyers. You want to talk about OT points? Buffalo has 4 OT wins and 1 shootout win to go along with 2 OT losses. That's 7 OT games vs Pittsburgh's 8. Where the Pens have 6 losses. The problem isn't Buffalo not getting enough OTLs the problem is Buffalo doesn't win enough games period.

Here's what a wrote a few days ago on the 13th:

In that time Buffalo has played 2 and won 1. Pens played 3 and won 1. Islanders played 2 and gained 3 points. Washington played 2 won 1. Florida played 2 won 2. Good news you're a little further from Montreal. Bad news you're still closer to them (5 points) than Pittsburgh or Washington (6 points). Since the start of the New Year Buffalo ranks 13th of the 16 teams in the East in a pile with Pittsburgh, Montreal, Islanders, and Carolina. Washington has 7pts in 7 games putting them mid-table for 2023. on December 31st of 2022 Buffalo had 34 games played with 38 points and were 6 points with 3 games in hand on NYR/NYI and 2 games in hand on the Pens. At no point were Buffalo '4 points with 4 games in hand'. Washington with 39 games played had a 9 point lead on December 31st. That's as close as Buffalo got. Which is to say....they didn't.

Buffalo is a fun team to watch. They have, allegedly, a very good prospect pool and if they can develop that they might be competitive. However, Buffalo needs at least one team in the Atlantic to implode *and* Florida to continue to employ Paul Maurice to even sniff at their division. After that they need Pittsburgh and/or Washington to fall of their respective cliffs and not have improvements from Detroit or the Isles. Everything went Buffalo's way for the first half of the year...still a ways short.
Lets look at the January 7th wild card standings. Which is the date I referenced in my post which started this conversation off. (The day the Sabres had the thrilling OT win over the Wild, and also the last time they played really well)

Bruins 39gp 66p
Leafs 40gp 55p
TBL 38gp 49p

Canes 40gp 57p
NJ 40gp 53p
NYR 41gp 51p

WC
Caps 42gp 50p
NYI 41gp 46p

Pens 38gp 44p
Sabres 37gp 42p

4 games in hand and 4 points back of a wild card spot.

I'd say the Sabres have had a similar season to the Pens in that they've been wildly inconsistent. Going on stretches where they are playing like one of the best teams in the league, and then stretches where they look terrible. Pens have been better obviously, but not by a huge margin.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The Sabres have 39 games remaining, they would have to get 50 more points to reach 95. A week and a half ago, I would’ve said yeah they can do it but they have played like poo poo for the past ten days including losing to the loving Blackhawks last night!!!! So I am dumb and got overzealous when they beat Boston. They have only won like one game where they scored fewer than 4 goals. They’ve given up fewer than 3 goals nine times this season. They are such a hot mess.

They did something crazy in 2010-11 where they went something like 24-4-4 over their last 32 games and snuck into the playoffs but that team had Ryan Miller in goal to bail them out several times. Crazier things have happened…?
I fully expect the Sabres to go on another 8-2-0 run shortly, to get our hopes back up.. only to follow it up by going 1-4-1

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Welp. Sabres are back within 4 points of a playoff spot. No games in hand this time.

The 1st and 2nd line have gone pretty cold the last 10 games. 3rd line has gotten hot.

I'm hoping Tage awakens from his slumber soon.

Would be a pretty good team with more consistent play out of the top 3 lines.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Chad Sexington posted:

Most would, yes.
I know that it was an obvious thing to say.

But it's the first time this has been true for the Sabres in a decade +. Being part of the middle of the pack, even if we're at the back of the middle, is an exciting change for us.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Bad news: The Buffalo Sabres are going to make the playoffs.
:clint::sotw::swoon:

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
https://twitter.com/ryanmura/status/1618088773983830018?s=46&t=ygMVKVvgDTkE_rm8N4D1jA

Power with goals in back to back games

Edit: also Good Tage is back

https://twitter.com/2goalies1mic/status/1618056724753309696?s=46&t=ygMVKVvgDTkE_rm8N4D1jA

https://twitter.com/2goalies1mic/status/1618068514648227840?s=46&t=ygMVKVvgDTkE_rm8N4D1jA

th3t00t fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 25, 2023

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

https://twitter.com/llysowski/status/1618770480068165633?s=46&t=EN0HCb_wFsIkTKEgAF_SEw

Sabres playoff hopes are dead if Samuelsson is out for an extended period. His injury earlier this season led to their 8-game losing streak. hosed up.
+ Dylan Cozens catching a butt end to the side of the jaw and wobbling off the ice tonight. Hopefully it’s a “minor” concussion

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Call Your Grandma posted:

woof. RoR looks washed
Ex-Sabres gain super powers playing in their returns to Buffalo.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I thought about going and am glad I didn’t. I’m not sure why the Sabres play so poorly at home but it definitely makes it hard to justify buying tickets.

Edit: PK Subban said during the first intermission last night, something like: “What the Leafs do on a Tuesday night in Buffalo doesn’t matter. What matters is what they do in the playoffs.” Which made me feel slightly better about getting dunked on. I was pretty sure the Sabres were going to lose but not like this. Not like this!!
Sabres are the 6th best road team in the league. And 6th worst home team. :iiam:

If they want to stay in the playoff hunt they need to snap out of this funk they've been in all of February.

They've been streaky all season. They'll go on a run of really good play for 5-10 games and it's like they all pat each other on the back and say, "We made it boys, we're 2 points out of the playoffs with 4 games in hand. Time to take our foot off the gas and play terrible for like 8 games in a row."

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Wonderllama posted:

I’d ask okposo why he put himself in a dangerous position for a legal check to the head, but sadly it’s probably from all the checks to his head.

LMFAO the Bolts homer announcer trying to downplay the elbow and by the 2nd angle he's like "So the elbow does catch him in the mouth, but you know, his elbows pretty tucked in, ....eeewwh it's out there a little bit"
https://twitter.com/mostlyleafies/status/1628978633426468864?s=20

He has a history of elbowing and getting suspended. And a history of elbowing Sabres and not even getting called for 2 min.

https://twitter.com/FahlinForDahlin/status/1199142328306458626?s=20

Anyways

https://twitter.com/Ben_Mathewson/status/1628950647562174468?s=20

Also LOL that Tage scored a hattrick this game and it's like the 3rd biggest thing that happened.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Few days late, but LOL that the NHL considers spitting a bigger crime than assault + battery.