Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Habs left Jake Allen in for all 9 goals lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Connor Bedard come home please.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

Came here to post this.

It’s cool how he went from probably returning a first round pick+ to a completely untradeable asset.

Wherever dummy thought up the "Bruce there it is" chant has a lot to answer for.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Actually Vancouver getting Bedard would be great because it would actually make me happy and optimistic about this dumb team for a few hours.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Flyers are by a considerable margin the best place for Bedard to end up. McDavid being in Edmonton was a huge detriment to the league. I'd like a young, exciting superstar to be in a big east coast market. It would be tons of fun to see the Flyers be truly relevant again.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I was wrong about Tage Thompson and his very good contract

I do not at all understand how I am wrong, but yes I was wrong also.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Boston has 30 wins and it's only January 6

Weird, in the past Bostonians have tended to lose badly on January 6th.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

But the Athletic just said yesterday that Jack Campbell Matt Murray having a strong month of November has fixed their crease issues.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

We are at effectively the midway point of the season and there had yet to be a trade of a player making more than $2.2m a year since the season began (Ethan Bear and even then it was a retained salary transaction).

By my count only 6 active NHLers have changed hands:
Klim Kostin
Jack Studnicka
Ethan Bear
Ryan Reaves
Conor Timmins
Dryden Hunt

Something needs to be done, this is getting stupid.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

Anthony Mantha is going to be a healthy scratch today when Backstrom and Wilson return.

Great trade!

I've been thinking for a while that Mantha for Boeser is probably a sensible trade. Not that anything like that would ever happen have you heard that the salary cap exists???

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

This happens so often I can't even be bothered to get annoyed anymore. Just a bunch of pathetic losers top to bottom.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/alex_daddese/status/1612212943873081351?t=86gpiyJ7kes-WfnQc-9pDA&s=19

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Wippersnapper posted:

How management doesn’t see stuff like that and immediately make moves to at least change the culture of the team boggles my mind.

He's not gonna re-sign. I fully expect him to ask out this summer.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Albino Squirrel posted:

I just got back from a vacation and it turns out that despite McDavid looking to score 150 points the Oilers are Still Butt?

Someone please explain this

Vancouver stink is beginning to overflow provincial boundaries and is starting to choke Edmonton and Calgary now too.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Starsfan posted:

the most obvious one being Jack Campbell has really been awful for them, way worse than anyone would have reasonably predicted at the start of the season.

Campbell had a two month stretch of good play and has been flat out awful since January 2022 (and all games prior to October 2021). Marginal goalies get hot for a stretch because shooters don't have a book on them, then they go back to being marginal when they do. Smart teams don't give a guy $25m because he looked good in a new conference for six weeks having played some 60 total career games to that point. It was absolutely the most predictable outcome ever, and it's fantastic.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Starsfan posted:

his time in LA was pretty good overall but I guess you are only talking about the games he played with the Leafs? like 60 total career games is what he did for the Leafs lol, he also had 60 with the Kings before that

I was talking about prior to his hot streak with the Leafs. He played 58 games over 9 seasons before signing with the Leafs. There's a boatload of evidence that says goaltenders need several NHL seasons under their belt before you have a real picture of their talent level. Prior to signing with the Oilers Campbell had parts of two and he looked both good and bad in stretches. It's no secret that relative unknown goaltenders can come into the league and play well because shooters don't have the book on them. Brian Boucher has the NHL consecutive shutouts record. The difference between a journeyman and a franchise netminder is being able to be consistently good for long stretches.

Campbell was and is a decent backup who can be relied on to take over the starters role for 20 games or so in the event of injury. He was never worth $25m.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Canucks went up 3-0 on the Pens in the 1st period tonight. It's 3-3 after one.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The Oilers have mostly been fine for about 20 games except that their PK fuckin blows. Problem is they're starting to get too far behind cause somehow Hakstol has a team playing well and the Kings despite all evidence that they are super flawed haven't collapsed.

If Holland wasn't a coward I'd expect them to find a trade and overpay for something worth it but instead they'll get Luke Schenn for two seconds or something.

The Oilers are 9-8-3 over their past 20 games.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Sure you fans of good teams get to see "wins" and "have hope," but do you get to laugh as often us Canucks fans? I think not, and after all isn't that what this is all about?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

On the other hand Laine will be 25 in April and I still have no idea if he's actually good or not.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Those stats feel about right. That was a shockingly bad defensive effort by the Canucks last night.

I love when fans of other teams watch the Canucks and see them put up a pretty standard performance and go "oh my god I see why you guys are complaining now." That was not in the least bit unusual. I do not think that "horrendous" really captures just how dire they are defensively.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

I've watched them a few times this year as I usually have a game on at night even if the Pens aren't on but oof. They were so bad yesterday. My condolences.

I'd like to say it was because of the Pens but the Canucks made so many unforced errors defensively yesterday

The Canucks have allowed 5 or more goals in 19 of 40 games so far this year.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

https://twitter.com/dalter/status/1613204717512888320?s=46&t=Tm8i73znDXE9Es2_Q-O-9A

Auston Matthews is never going to play a healthy season for the rest of his career

Fifty injuries in his last fifty games!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Based on the science of ranking them on how good I think they are, I have reached the following conclusions about 2nd overall picks since 2005.

3 have been franchise players:
Victor Hedman
Alex Barkov
Jack Eichel

5 have been stars (or will be) but not quite franchise players:
Drew Doughty
Tyler Seguin
Gabriel Landeskog
Andrei Svechnikov
Matty Beniers

4 have been decent players:
Bobby Ryan
Jordan Staal
JVR
Sam Reinhart

3 have been depth players (or will be):
Ryan Murray
Nolan Patrick
Quinton Byfield

2 are unknowable mysteries:
Patrik Laine
Kappo Kakko

So with the 2nd overall pick you have a 19% chance of getting a franchise player, a 50% chance of getting a star or better player and a 13% chance of winding up with a tall Finnish dude who's actual talent level cannot quite be comprehended by the human mind.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Simplex posted:

The Avalanche desperately need to move Girard for a Top 6 forward. But the more he plays the more obvious it is that absolutely no one should give up a Top 6 forward to acquire him.

I still think of him as a top quality defensive defenceman. Has he fallen off that much since he was hurt?

As it stands if he was the central return in a Horvat trade I'd be pretty pleased with that.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

In June 2022 the Canucks signed Dale Tallon as an advisor and since then they've done the following:
Signed Ilya Mikheyev
Didn't trade then re-signed JT Miller
Re-signed Brock Boeser
Traded Dickinson and a 2nd for Stillman
Made zero changes to their blue line
Blew 2 or more goal leads 10 times in 40 games
Gabe up 5 or more goals in 19 of 40 games
Didn't manage to be bad enough to be in the Bedard lottery

I do not think this is a coincidence.

grack posted:

Canucks apparently trying to re-sign Kuzmenko instead of trading him

Why

Just sign the same guys forever and maybe it'll all work out.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

We are witnessing history

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'm not sure i can remember watching a team as bad as the Ducks holy hell they're awful.

They're pretty sad. Their first round of youngsters in Sonny Milano, Sam Steel and Max Jones totally flamed out and now their second round in Comtois and Lundestrom have taken big steps backwards. Really beyond Zegras, Drysdale and McTavish there's not a lot to that team. They have a long rebuild ahead.

Did you know Dmitri Kulikov plays for them? I did not.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

All I know is some dumb team is gonna pay way too much for Troy Terry and boy is he gonna let them down. (it'll be the Canucks).

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think the most boring team I remember watching all the games of was the 06-07 Bruins. Thornton was gone. Bergeron and Savard were interesting but the rest of the team suuuuucked. Tim Thomas was the goalie but it was before he went off. Luckily the season wasn't a total waste! The Bruins ended up drafting 7th overall and picked Zach Hamill, who would go on to have 4 assists in 20 NHL games, one pick before Logan Couture.

That 2007 draft was garbage by the way. There are guys who played a lot of games from that draft class but only a handful that I'd say were good players, and Patrick Kane is probably the only one you'd call a star.

The Bruins had Marchand, Krejci and Lucic in the pipeline and went on to win the cup four years later with a very similar roster. That one year of so so play must've been excruciating for you.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Folks, you should probably be sitting down to hear this: Tanner Pearson will miss the remainder of the season.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

sounds like OEL will be a healthy scratch tonight. Just 4.5 seasons to go!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Halfway through the season and they're 10 points out of a wildcard. Surely, now, if anything, is the time to throw in the towel, trade Horvat, Kuzmenko, Boeser, Garland, somehow attach Myers and maybe even Miller to one of the deals and *tank* hard. With a decent effort, they should be able get 4th spot.

Have you considered that this was all a stretch of rotten luck and they resign Horvat and Kuzmenko and tack on a 1st to dump Myers contract then run it back next year? Because that's what's gonna happen.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

SoggyBobcat posted:

I know we Canucks fans have collective trauma from the Benning years, but why so quick to dump the actual quality producing players rather than the crap inherited from Benning? Kuzmenko was literally a pristine, shiny new boat that fell into the Canucks laps, and you want to trade it away for a mystery box in the hopes it might have a new boat in it?

OEL's contract is very buyout friendly, who cares about a $2 million dollar cap hit in 2031? Myers is owed a $5 million bonus on July 1st and then his actual salary drops to one million; retain 50% of his salary cap and now a $3 million cap hit for one year (only $1 million in real money) RHD with size and experience and he suddenly becomes very moveable. Retain $1.5-$2 million of Boeser's cap hit and he probably becomes moveable as well.

Kuzmenko I'd be okay with resigning from that list on a 3-4 year deal but I think otherwise you're greatly overvaluing the Canucks assets. As with most teams, they have no cap space and are significantly chewing into LTIR which means all bonuses go to next year which means you can strike another $2-3m off their cap next season. They also have Pettersson to resign after next season and given his previous noncommittal commits about his future I think his salary starts with an $11 if he doesn't outright ask out.

Yes, there are maybe ways to move off one or two of their bad contracts but 1) why would any team take them on without a sizeable asset coming their way as a sweetener? and 2) why would the teams that can afford to take them on prioritize them over any other team in the league? It took a 2nd round pick for the Canucks to clear just over $1m of salary for 2 years in Jason Dickenson and they had to take back Riley Stillman as part of it. The cap is staying level and teams didn't expect that and haven't accounted for it.

There are maybe 4 or 5 teams next year that will have available space to take on bad contracts and their services will be in high demand. It will be a 1st round pick + (probably in the 2023 draft) to clear only a few million dollars off the books. The Canucks have neither the assets nor expectation of future success to outbid the 15-20 teams that will need to unload a bad contract.

Even if everything goes perfectly and they offload Myers for a relatively low price, they buy out OEL and find takers for Boeser and Garland they maybe clear out $12-14m next year while tacking long term dead cap commitments of $5m+ a year in buyouts and retention. If the idea is a quick strip down of the roster to try and refocus on competing before Hughes, Demko and Pettersson age out they've once again saddled (hopefully) better teams in the future with the cap problems of worse ones today.

The sad reality is they're stuck with this team. They've committed big money long term to a lot of guys who can't feasibly be removed without paying the price down the line for a very long time. They need to figure out a way to make what they have work. It's a hard truth, but there no Connor Bedard coming to save them. They need to stop squandering assets and just grin and bear the next 3 or so seasons of darkness and hope for the best. Contracts will begin to expire and they can hopefully convince enough worthwhile guys to stay. Maybe OEL and Miller will get so fed up they retire to be bakers or something. It won't be easy. It'll require real soul searching and honesty from the top down, and forgive me if I am skeptical of that taking place given all the magic beans we've been sold over the years.

They are in probably the least enviable position in the league and I don't see a way to navigate out of it. They're pretty much stuck with what they have while their best players lose interest and/or age out. Lazy, idiot pleasing choices to avoid facing having to say "maybe the playoffs aren't the goal this year" were the decisions they made over and over in the past decade. When you constantly draw from the future to paper over the problems of the present, you eventually get stuck with the bill. That's what you see today and sadly will for years to come.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

SoggyBobcat posted:

ThinkTank, I don't necessarily disagree with anything you said, but the solution to this

is to stop taking on even more magic beans. Like, who do you think the Ottawa Senators would rather have now: Matt Duchene, or the magic beans they received in exchange for Matt Duchene in 2019? This is the barrel the Canucks are staring down if they trade Horvat.

The Sens got two first round picks for Duchene and don't have to pay him $8mx8. Cap space is as or more valuable than a declining asset on a rebuilding team. Horvat is 28 in a few weeks. Don't make me tap the chart.

SoggyBobcat posted:

If the Canucks are aggressive in actually moving out the crap and the redundant pieces, there's no reason a core of Pettersson/Miller/Horvat/Kuzmenko/Hughes/Demko couldn't have, say, a run similar to the Predators from 2014 to now, a consistent playoff team that could go deep if they get some luck on injuries or favourable matchups.

Basically that exact core has a record of 80-79-17 over the past three seasons. Tell me what is about to change to make them suddenly a consistent playoff threat? Are you willing to bet say 2 first round picks, Podkolzin, Lekkerimaki and a couple seconds on them being that? Because that's what it'll cost to be "aggressive in moving out the crap." The thing about crap is that everyone has it and no one wants it. If you want someone to shovel it for ya, you gotta pay.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Every team's fans with a hosed up cap say the same thing: We just gotta trade away the bad contracts and keep the good ones, as though terrible contracts get traded or bought out all the time with no ramifications. The reality is that you have to eat a lot of poo poo to get rid of those deals with very little benefit unless your team is a contender that only needs to make one or two more moves.

Pretty much this. There are 31 other teams in the league who all want to clear cap space. Those willing to take it on can be choosy and charge high prices. Brent Burns and Max Pacioretty, guys who are infinitely better than any of the bad contracts the Canucks have, were moved for effectively no return just to get their contracts off the books. It cost the Oilers a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd to dump Kassian's $3m salary. I would imagine say $5mx4 for Garland would cost two 1sts or more. Myers at least a 1st and a 2nd. OEL, I don't think any team will take that on.

We are stuck with these guys.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

SoggyBobcat posted:

Horvat's obviously not going to at a 60-goal pace every season, but he's obviously turned a corner and expecting him to score 35-45 goals for the net 3-4 seasons is not unreasonable. The value of that (not to mention the massive hole in the roster that's not easily replaced) is almost certainly going to exceed whatever crap futures package the Canucks will take in return for him, none of whom are likely to get close to where Horvat is now..

Sure the prospects and/or picks aren't likely to turn into another Horvat, but the team's issue isn't scoring. It's defence and team defence. They can take a step back on goalscoring and reallocate the cap space to defence. The picks aren't likely to be "on pace for 60 goals in a contract year" Bo Horvat quality players, but the odds are they at least become worthwhile contributors. Young cost controlled depth is what this team needs. Not more guys exiting their prime signed to huge deals based on outlier seasons. This was all the same arguments people were making about not trading Miller last year while the same folks are calling for him to be bought out now.

As for Duchene, he got a couple picks at the deadline and the Sens haven't been immediately good. Fine sure. However, you're forgetting that the exact same guy was traded to Ottawa for a 1st round pick that became Bowen Byram and the Avs quickly became a powerhouse cup winner.

Not every trade or prospect works out, but drat some do and at some point people need to accept that this corrupted core just doesn't have what it takes to be anything. Pettersson, Hughes, Miller, Demko, and Boeser are all in their statistical primes right now. They aren't going to find another level. This is what they are and they're 26th in the league. Time to tear off the bandaid and start again.

You didn't like the decade of nothing under Benning? You are advocating for exactly the road map he followed that whole time just replace Sven Baertschi with Brock Boeser and Luca Sbisa with Riley Stillman.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

There is so much sadness in Boudreau's eyes. This franchise is so poo poo it extinguished the spark of joy in that man.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

I don't care what the Rangers do this off-season but Drury had better move heaven and earth to get Miller locked up for at least 4 years.

Great news! JT Miller is signed for seven. He's your problem now, no takesies backsies it's your fault for not being specific enough in your wish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

Wheeler's bottom five prospect pool rankings own it's 4 perennial contenders / Cup favorites and the Vancouver Canucks.

Our only first round pick in the past 3 years is currently stinking up the joint.

Don't let idiots sell the farm to save their jobs. Seems like super obvious advice to me, but that's what the Canucks did!