Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Hand Knit posted:

It was nice of the Leafs to end the previous year by thrashing the Colorado Avalanche, proving that they are indeed the best team in hockey.

They truly play their best hockey in December.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Furnaceface posted:

Did any of the teams involved in big trades/signings this summer actually end up better off? Columbus, Calgary, Florida, and Edmonton all stink in various ways.

Columbus was always going to be bad, one star player can’t fix that roster, even before injuries.

Edmonton is lol Edmonton.

Calgary I donno , I guess not clicking ?

Florida Matt Tkachuk is 100% playing as expected and has great numbers. Honestly I think it’s really Paul Maurice creates losing teams. What a bad move.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Levitate posted:

I wouldn't trade 2 1sts for Kane straight up

But what about Brendan Hagel ?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Scaramouche posted:

Isn't Toews even more cooked than Kane at this point?

Leadership. Intangibles. Captaincy.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It’s really funny either way, but I couldn’t quite tell from the video. stealing a players stick is a penalty right ?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Boston has 30 wins and it's only January 6

Please don’t remind me that we live in the hell timeline.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah that's true and there's also their organizational philosophy that goalies are fungible at the NHL level--which I happen to think they are mostly correct about, but the record does show their goaltending regularly lets them down in the playoffs.

Aho is a legit superstar and absolutely good enough to be the best player on a Cup team IMO, but he's the only player at that level they have.

They really could use a top pair defenseman , someone like that dude that NJ signed 2 years ago.

Although on a real note, if I remember right Slavin’s stats are in line with being a top defenseman as well.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Levitate posted:

I mean...Fox 23 points in 20 playoff games last year. Makar did do better than that but i think Fox elevated his play

also lol that googling Adam Fox right now returns a guy getting sentenced for planning to kidnap the Wisco governor

Fox did learn a thing or two from Tony DeAngelo.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

he should for sure. I think it’s pretty clearly Connor as the winner and then Hughes/Robertson/Tage, but Buffalo probably won’t be good enough to make Tage a finalist.

not that the rest of the team isn’t good, but the gameplan come playoff time is just: try to gently caress Jack up. it will be interesting to see if anyone can catch him. my thinking (and hope) is that he’ll try to go into the harder areas come playoff time a bit more and get brained by some big idiot. this is true of any team that misses their star, but I think the Devils would be worse off than any team outside of Edmonton if they lose their top guy. he is changing momentum and changing games constantly this year.

Tage is having a season where Buffalo can miss and he could still be top 3. Which is pretty rare but I think the storyline will have it happen.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

THE BUFFALO SABRES ARE GOING TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS

Steve Stamkos scored 60 goals in a season Tampa didn’t make the playoffs!

The Sabres have won every game in which they’ve worn the Black/Red throwback goat head jerseys and scored exactly 6 goals in each one. Seriously, they’ve done it five times. Insanity. Tonight’s game was a sellout and everyone chanted MVP after Tage scored a PP goal. The building shook and the roof could have come down. Just complete bedlam. One of the best games I’ve ever attended.

You know. You’ve suffered long enough as a fan base. Here’s hoping the season goes your way.

Weaponized Autism posted:

Not even tossing milk crates onto the ice. Where's the passion I ask

Goalies with real passion throw water bottles.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Ullmark had stats of “backup at best” before the Bruins signed him and at the time a 4 year contract at whatever they paid him seemed like a huge overpay.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Backup at best stats on a team playing Rasmus Ristolainen as a #1 dman should have been extrapolatable for the average fan/GM

God I already have PTSD from Risto this is a good point.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chad Sexington posted:

idk one cup was nice

:same:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bard Maddox posted:

the Provorov situation and value around the league will be interesting since there are light rumblings that it may be time to explore a trade. Friedman floated it on 32 Thoughts and the Athletic put together a good article about the whole situation (https://theathletic.com/4077511/2023/01/10/flyers-trade-ivan-provorov/). is the guy dogshit garbage now or will he be better getting away from the dogshit garbage Flyers?

The end of the day answer is the Flyers ruin everything and everybody.

It does sound like it has culminated in Provorov refusing to take blame for his performance. Which, at the least you have to say is inconsistent. Now, how much is him versus the entire team sucking, no idea. But the reports are that he is not getting along with a lot of the team and basically the attitude / situation is bad.

It likely does get fixed and he plays a lot better on an actual good team.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I read that realistically Provorov is an excellent #3 and he's basically got the #1 role in Philly because it's Philly. Regardless, the Flyers can probably get a haul for him

This is correct, and the only question is whether he plays better if he has a decent defense partner.

That still doesn’t make him a clear cut number 1 when compared to like, Victor Hedman making players like Bogosian look amazing playing with him.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

I thought the Flyers were dogshit garbage, what gives?

They’re dogshit garbage at tanking yes.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

clean ayers act posted:

speaking of this, how the hell is troy terry the asg rep?
i mean no one deserves to go but you'd think the guy on the cover of the video game would be the dude they chose

Maybe he didn’t want to go. Lot of players don’t want to and can’t blame them.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It sure seemed that way five days ago. They are in a precarious position where a bad stretch would ruin their chances and then the past three games happened. Before Tuesday, they hadn’t lost consecutive games for a month.

They just have to keep scoring six goals a game, obviously!

What’s your punishment for the toxx ?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Twin Cinema posted:

Surprised that they picked Brodeur 21st, just because this felt like a list where he'd rank higher. Also, very surprised that Dionne is rocketing up the list as much as he is. I really don't understand how he ranks above Trottier and Clarke.

Brodeur’s Enterprise commercials dropped his rankings.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

A. Torts rules

B. Gotta give it , he has a good point.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Furnaceface posted:

Has any other pro sports league tried as hard as the NHL to make their games unavailable to watch with blackouts and spreading games across multiple specialty channels?

Lets grow the game by letting no one watch it!

The NFL is the worst on it. So it super sucks but also isn’t going away.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

th3t00t posted:

The Sabres were on a great run until the thrilling OT win against the Wild.

1-4-0 since then. Played well in 2 of those 5 games and were complete trash in the other 3.

Tage Thompson has also gone ice cold with 2 assists and no goals during this stretch. He's not really snake bit, as he's not generating crazy chances anymore either.

Disappointing that as soon as the team got within striking distance of the playoffs that they've fallen apart again.

The toxx cursed them , you should yell at Bob for this lol.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Spring Break My Heart posted:

During his draft cycle the consensus on Lindros was that his size made him invincible

:negative:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Koopa Kid posted:

There’s scuttlebutt in the Athletic about O’Reilly and the Leafs, and even if making the cap work wasn’t impossible it really feels like Nick Foligno 2.0 in terms of paying a kings ransom for somebody a season or two past it. Like the odds that dude breaks or just sucks for the few weeks the team would need him are so high.

I mean, sure, but Ryan O’Reilly is leagues above Nick loving Foligno at any cross career comparison.

The Foligno trade was and is super funny because it was obvious that you were reading for someone who at his peak was a 2nd liner. Cool dude, but never worth a 1st rounder.

RoR was a top center as recently as last year. How much he needs Perron is a good question, but he’s still a good bet IMO.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Broad Street Hockey sums it up well.

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2023/1/17/23560153/philadelphia-flyers-ivan-provorov-pride-jersey-nhl-trade-rumors

“Plainly, it is not acceptable for someone to hide behind religion as a reason to be that outwardly hateful to other people. Provorov was not aggressive in any tone or words, but the sheer disregard for what this night might have meant for people in the local LGBTQ+ community in Philadelphia is cowardly and his action to not participate demonstrated his bigotry.”

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Charlie not holding back (and of course he shouldn’t hold back):

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Charlie at the Athletic put up an article with more info on the debacle. Here are parts of it but not the whole article.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Dirty Burger posted:

Yeah, JR saying they’ve been looking for a new coach for 2+ months now is bush league, last weekend Elliotte Friedman all but announced Rick Tocchet’s the next Canucks coach….what’s the hold up?

Why leave Bruce twisting in the wind?

Tocchett had to give a 4 week notice at his current tv job.

Now, they could have just fired Bruce and have an interim. The argument against that (outside of the morale side) is that a lot of times you get in a new coach, even interim, and the change kick starts the team to play better and win more. Which, if you are trying to actually tank, is no good.

The reason why that whole paragraph I just posted is irrelevant here, is that the interim coach Vancouver would have is Mike loving Yeo. Who is a very bad coach. So it’s extremely stupid because they could have done the interim coach 1-3 months ago and still have lost a bunch of games. Not like their roster is good anyway.

Also, all this for Tocchet is funny since it’s not like he did some amazing job in Arizona. But I assume he’s friends with JR , so there you go.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Why the hell is Bruce There It Is not the thread title yet

Because the thread title had to give a 4 week notice of quitting to the previous thread it was supporting.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

VOTE1 posted:

I really hope Chicago put up 10 goals on Tuesday.

Let’s pick a different team to crush the Canucks. Literally any other team.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

He doesn’t play more than one game a week, if that’s what you’re asking. He’s definitely going to retire at the end of this season.

At least he only has to play until mid April.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Bad news: The Buffalo Sabres are going to make the playoffs.

I have to throw in the SAS hockey joke and ask if you happen to be wearing khakis at the moment.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bard Maddox posted:

the thing is, from his exact words, he’s not wrong. I fully believe that players and coaches do not play to tank. the thing is that every time he talks about tanking (including the quote above) he very very conveniently leaves out front offices who obviously clearly field teams with subpar talent that are designed to stink up the joint for years on end. that’s why he’s Gary!

tweet unrelated

https://twitter.com/domluszczyszyn/status/1617555322754977795?s=46&t=3tRYU3YeIMN_XvzvEjqr_g

Stanley Cup Champion Jack Johnson.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Lidstrom was a machine. He did absolutely everything at an A- level except his hockey instincts which were A++++, he was indestructible, and he was the ideal team captain who kept his mouth shut and worked his rear end off. I have him as a borderline top 5 player all time. I swear that guy had like 2 seconds' clairvoyance, he was loving always a stride ahead of the play.

I think I’ve brought it up on past times Lindstrom has come up, but it’s worth mentioning every time.

The last 2 minutes of the ‘09 Pens Wings game is just unbelievable in terms of how Lindstrom controlled the play. Like, I remember watching the dude just take the puck and keep running it up past a desperate to defend penguins team. It took MAF loving making the save of his life to prevent them from scoring.

Unfortunately a meteor did not then hit the stadium , but whatever.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Y’all are debating on the great goalie of all time and haven’t even mentioned the actual greatest goalie of all time:

https://youtu.be/TavsqFdZ1Hg

I watched 5 seconds of this video before I had to close it because the dude talking was super boring

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://theathletic.com/4121882/2023/01/27/flyers-trade-deadline-scenarios-roster/?source=user_shared_article

Flyers mail bag. Here’s the choice quote:

“Sanheim-DeAngelo pairing has been nothing short of a disaster, and I suspect has only been kept together because Rasmus Ristolainen is still doing remedial work on his game (and benefitting from it) in third-pair minutes, and the top pair of Provorov and Cam York has actually worked quite well. “

Literally the defense is a mess because of the two players Chuck traded for. He traded a 1st for Risto, and 3 picks for Tony D, signed high pay extensions for both, and shockingly they’re dog poo poo still this year.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DancingMachine posted:

That's a bummer OP. It hurts overall competitiveness and quality of play. The NFL figured this out like 2 decades ago and is more popular than ever.

The NHL is by far the most poorly run and least forward thinking league out of the big 4 of NFL, NBA and MLB, although I guess I should say I hear the MLB is pretty dumb but I rarely follow baseball.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Lmao at the NFL being forward thinking

Ok, I should probably clarify I am not saying the others are forward thinking (obviously NBA is different ), the point is to the NHL is that incompetent and ignorant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The term tanking is somewhat new, but it’s basically just saying re building.

It wasn’t a tear down, but hell, the Flyers started their whole team on essentially a rebuild and developing young players.

It wasn’t for licks, but they traded Parent in 1971 to get prospect Rick MacLeish, and that def was not a “get better today” move at all, but turned out long term great for them. Granted, it helped that the WHA then poached Parent and the Leafs refused to bring him back at his original pay, thus they ended up trading Parent back to Philly, but still.

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/great-moments-parent-makes-triumphant-return/c-435917

“After spending a tumultuous season with the financially troubled Philadelphia Blazers of the World Hockey Association, Parent refused to accept the pay cut vindictive Toronto owner Harold Ballard offered him to return to the Maple Leafs after Blazers' players checks started coming late or not at all. Parent, who took himself out of the lineup during the WHA playoffs, accepted the Leafs' trade to the Flyers”

“Parent received a standing ovation from the Spectrum crowd in his first pre-season game before the 1973-74 season opener. He had been an immensely popular player during his first stint with the club, and the fans were thrilled to have him back on a team that looked ready to make noise in the Western Conference.

Forty-five minutes later, the crowd turned on Parent. Rusty and not yet in game shape, he got lit up for seven goals by the New York Rangers in less than 30 minutes of action. At least three of the goals were stoppable.”

Btw , the first regular season game back apparently involved Schultz fighting Salming:

“Looking to give his club some energy, Shero sent enforcer Dave "the Hammer" Schultz onto the ice at about the 7-minute mark of the opening period. The Flyers' strategy heading into the game was to test the Leafs' physically, especially their tandem of Swedish youngsters.

Schultz made a beeline for Salming. After exchanging slashes, the two dropped the gloves at 7:20 for the first fight of the new season. The Spectrum crowd roared appreciatively.”

Anyway, random Flyers history, and even back then it was def Lol Leafs.