Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Shouldn't there have been some announcement as to if anyone claimed Vrana by now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Schremp Howard posted:

I’m shaky on waiver rules, can you trade them later if you claim them waivers? I know buyouts and offer sheets have weird rules, but if you were a basement dweller with cap space it wouldn’t hurt to claim him and give him easy spots to put up points and then flip for a pick at the deadline with 50% retained.

CBJ traded Jussi Jokinen to Vancouver as part of the Thomas Vanek deal after claiming him.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/jachobe/status/1611209099789881345?t=UiUTsylY60WchJzmNIQ90g&s=19

NHL N/V January: and go gently caress yourself with woooo

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

DJExile posted:

Jake is the saltiest dude I love him lmao

Maybe he'll get to be teammates with that once in a generation talent next yeahahahaha who am I kidding it'll be Chicago.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/mark_scheig/sta...ingawful.com%2F

Other Kirill the Other Thrill?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/sammisilber/status/1612256186342203393

"I'm a notorious cheap-shot artist in the NHL but hey, could you give me a game to get back on my feet before I throw hands?"

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Every so often, I go down a KHL scoring stats rabbit hole and there aren't as many interesting names as usual, though I noticed one name I'd typically see missing and found that Nigel Dawes finally bailed out for the DEL, though he's also:

quote:

the fifth leading scorer in KHL history

He was mostly a bottom six guy here but ripped it up in Russia and was 20 points behind Alexander Radulov for fourth: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Dawes#Regular_season_and_playoffs

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The Devils are a team I've been sort of rooting for the past few seasons because they've got exciting young players and have been bad for a while. In just half a season their fans destroyed all that good will by being annoying online. Which is fine, they should enjoy their team and all that, but I don't like them anymore and I hope they fail.

Their "I'm not mad please don't say online I'm mad" schtick the last time the Jackets played them was comical.

"LOL welp hope Johnny enjoys finishing last this year NO WE HAVEN'T THOUGHT ABOUT THAT TRASH-rear end TEAM SINCE HE DIDN'T SIGN HERE WHY DO YOU ASK?"

eXXon posted:

Just lol if your sports grudges aren't all decades old, involving long-since retired players.

e: gently caress YOU Steve Webb and Cam Janssen you pieces of poo poo!!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Yeah

and gently caress off forever, Dave Steckel

God drat, Adam Foote going "I'll re-sign here for $500,000 more per but, if not, trade me back to only team I'll accept a trade to and oh, by the way, I already have a jet chartered and have already shipped my stuff to the site of their next game" was 15 years ago.

Howson sucked but a 1st and 4th for ^that^ was robbery.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

fermun posted:

Avs are doing the next generation night where a bunch of kids do the broadcast and had kids draw the player portraits
https://twitter.com/Peter_Baugh/status/1614406715977641984

Girard has some serious Napoleon Dynamite vibes.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

N: Columbus sure tried hard to lose after taking a 4-0 lead, but just couldn't seal the deal.

V: For those hoping to see Patrik Laine sock dingers:
https://twitter.com/BallySportsCBUS/status/1614421018185007107?t=4L2j4YxnSk7PzMnCMu8VLQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/BallySportsCBUS/status/1614422426145722368?t=KUF39vU-UUr6taqcWW7aDw&s=19
https://twitter.com/BallySportsCBUS/status/1614428416907874305?t=-wTMU2jBCePilIyFVWB15A&s=19

Patty good. Johnny2Patty better.

Levitate posted:

They're gonna get bounced in the playoffs but say "it was a learning experience, they'll be back and better next year!" and then next year they're gonna struggle for most of it and maybe turn it on to sneak into the playoffs where it's 50/50 whether they'll actually do better or just flame out again

that's how it goes with young exciting teams you can't change fate

They'll also be analytics darlings as has become annual tradition and Dom et al will sanctimoniously try to prove how smart they are by saying "no, really, THIS is the year!".

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 15, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Interesting. I heard Laine is a one dimensional bust.

To quote Porty "He's a one-trick pony...but my god, is it one hell of a trick."

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

WeaponX posted:

I kinda like the budget hotel-chain font and the crescent moon. But god does it all look so cheap. Like a warmup jersey.

They might have made them out of budget hotel chain bedspreads.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Good on these guys for staying relevant by consistently putting out music that can be used in sports highlight reels.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Johnny Gaudreau's teammates booed him in practice to get him ready for tonight. :allears:

I liked that joke better when somebody made it last month.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I keep forgetting that Milan Lucic is still an NHL player, yet there he is.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/JacketsInsider/status/1617929478394769408?t=YOrefJWMA2kpQM7gGoVMTw&s=19

Filly Marchy don't do rebounds helpers.

Paracaidas posted:

Bruce had an interview with Russo in The Athletic

Jarmo get the Bruce.

(Next season.)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

that Athletic chart is like Skip Bayless poo poo. i think it’s designed to be infuriating. they rated Iginla above Chris Pronger. there’s never been a hockey game played where you would take Jarome Iginla over Chris Pronger.

sakic/yzerman being ahead of McDavid/Messier is similarly insane. they spent the entire Scott Stevens article talking about concussions and wrote nothing about Doug Gilmour and the babysitter. incredible.

lol what circumstances you hack

I'm well past the point of, if not for Porty's coverage of my own team, canceling my Athletic sub. Much of their content is as you describe.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Crosby stole Kessel's Conn Smythe that first year. It was a total reputational award because he's Gary's beautiful boy. His second Conn Smythe was deserved though.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Kessel definitely deserved the Smythe over Crosby in '16 because forwards' defense is unimportant.

Crosby stole MAF's Conn Smythe the second year for not being MAF long enough for Murray to come back.

I'm going to argue until the end of time Pittsburgh sure as hell doesn't get through Washington (if not Columbus) if he's even average.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Albino Squirrel posted:

Some kid named Johnson scored and for a second I was like "we lost to Jack Motherfucking Johnson?"

Once upon a time, this would've been accurate. (Offer still valid with the Blackhawks!)

But since the opportunity has been offered to brag:

https://twitter.com/BlueJacketsNHL/status/1618479849089208321

Three Four observations:
-He went five-hole on Darnell Nurse and then got it past the goalie. Kid's good.
-Johnny Gaudreau has now been booed in four buildings this season.
-Who knew their rival's best player walking in free agency would be the thing that, in some strange way and perhaps for only one moment, united the Battle of Alberta?
e- Second-straight OT winner for KJ in that building following the Golden Goal* in the World Juniors.

*Are Canadians the only ones who use the phrase "Golden Goal"? I don't remember hearing it in any context other than international tournaments they win.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 26, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

WeaponX posted:

Harpur has been fine but he doesn’t really play like he is 6’6” and should be trying to murder guys more often

He got wrecked trying to murder somebody against Pittsburgh in the preseason for Columbus.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/BlueJacketsNHL/status/1619411024272310272?t=3eA2X5lxIn0ZaQ1PrYwb8w&s=19

Hi, what's a Lane Pederson?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

my money would have been on Igor since he's fairly religious IIRC, but he's worn the jersey in the past apparently, and Panarin has signed a Pride jersey in the past. I can't find anything on Kravtsov, so maybe him?

Bread has/had a Russian Orthodox shrine in his locker and frequented an Orthodox church in Columbus, for whatever it is/isn't worth. Dolan wouldn't surprise me at all, though.

e- "It is/isn't" makes more sense than it's/isn't.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 29, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Oh, are we talking smart/capable second careers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMhSYXtuV4Q

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Gerblederp posted:

I hope Chicago gets him and he turns out to be the biggest bust of all time.

I said last year that the punishment for all of the sexual misconduct cover-up should have been Chicago lost their condition on the pick they traded for Jones and Columbus should've gotten choice of 2022 or 2023 and I stand by it, no I'm not biased, why do you ask?

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Columbus have a minimum of 3 years after this year before they can approach 'good'.

Laine-Bedard-Gaudreau
Johnson-Sillinger/Roslovic-Marchenko

...has the potential to score all the goals.

It's the defense that's worrying (though, by all accounts, Jiricek is dangerous in addition to healthy Werenski).

eXXon posted:

The owners hear your concerns and are drafting a plan to expand the playoffs to 24 teams.

I look forward to a broken rear end Lottery system where one of the teams that doesn't make the playoffs still winds up with number 1.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Do they sill make every team send at least one player to the ASG? Who the hell do Arizona and Chicago send?

e: Vancouver too. At least Columbus can send Laine to sock dingers alongside Ovie.

There's also that Gaudreau guy in Columbus who idk seems p good.

(Laine was on the last man in ballot.)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Rick Nash out of Columbus can also be a trade for the hit list.

E-

ThinkTank posted:

Both Laine and PLD had signed two year bridge contracts with their old teams as a result of having quietly asked out.

Jones was set to be a UFA the season he was traded to Chicago. He had six months left on his rookie deal when he was traded to Columbus.

For context on the PLD/Laine deal, Roslovic was a throw-in because he wasn't signing in Winnipeg (CBJ got his RFA rights), so the big names were the only ones under contract.

And re: Jones, yep. This was around the time JD was rehired; it was believed Jarmo wanted to have Panarin II: Holdout Boogaloo to get him to stay and JD told him no. Jones would only accept trades to Chicago or Dallas.

(Seth Jones for Adam Boqvist, Jake Bean, Cole Sillinger, and David Jiricek holy :lol:.)

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 4, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

fawning deference posted:

The Athletic on Luke Hughes and Simon Nemec (they are ranking team prospect pools and doing full write-ups on their prospects):

Come to Butt-Head.

quote:

Even after graduating Kent Johnson and Cole Sillinger from their pool, the Blue Jackets’ collection of prospects ranks even higher today than it did a year ago thanks to a sterling 2022 draft class.

They’ve got two of the sport’s very best right-shot D prospects, two of the sport’s better left-shot D prospects, and a legitimate prospect at all three forward positions. That core group of seven prospects is probably the strongest top seven in the league at the moment.

:getin:

David Jiricek posted:

Jiricek has some extremely desirable attributes, marked by a booming point shot (it’s a bomb, and he does a really good job keeping it on target and a couple of feet off the ice), a strong, athletic 6-foot-3 frame, and a commanding on-ice presence. He’s a staunch man-to-man in-zone defender, he moves his feet well for his size (though I do worry about his stilted backwards skating/pivots and how often he gets caught flatfooted), and thrives in transition with his ability to both close out on gaps (less so than maintain them) with his length and aggression and lead a ton of rushes as an eager puck transporter (he’s a much better skater going forward).

Offensively, he’s also a capable handler and distributor whose point shot is complemented by an aggressive approach. There are also some subtleties to his game (first passes that are almost never off-target, a sneaky-silky first touch, etc.). But his modus operandi is that he’s a confident, active, engaged three-zone player who has almost all of the tools you look for in a top defender.

When his timing is on and he’s stepping up early to take the ice in the neutral zone, he can really dominate a game on both sides of the puck. He can be a little overzealous at times (offensively and defensively), but that eagerness to make something happen also defines his game and he’s a lot to handle when he builds a head of steam through his tall crossovers and starts circling the offensive game. He wants to dictate and influence the game on his terms, rather than wait for it to come to him (which can also come with waiting a little too long to make his decisions at the time, but is more often apparent in quick, aggressive choices).

As he continues to smooth out and polish his game, it’s hard to imagine he doesn’t become, at the very least, an impactful top-four guy. And if he hits the right notes along his development path, his ceiling could be significantly higher than that.

Denton Mateychuk posted:

Mateychuk has built quite a reputation for himself in hockey circles for his ability to direct play and drive results when he’s on the ice. That style helped him work his way onto Team Canada’s U18 worlds team as an underager and has made him one of the top defensemen in junior hockey in the last two seasons. Those are among the many reasons he was named Moose Jaw’s captain this year and will make him a big part of the 2024 Canadian world junior team in Gothenburg.

He’s already a plus-level skater, which helps him escape pressure with his feet, push up ice in control, trail in transition, walk the line, and steer opposing players into tough spots despite not being the biggest guy. He’s the definition — or close — of the modern defenseman.

Mateychuk pushes when he can and everything he does is done with poise and command. He plays a reliable and calculating game built around his mobility and sound decision-making. He defends at a high level and is strong over his 5-foot-11 frame. Plus he’s a July birthday so he’s got plenty of time to build on his strong foundation and develop his distinguishing qualities (namely his movement and control of the game).

He just always seems to be involved in all three zones. I see a clear top-four upside and there’s nothing in his game that gives me pause in saying that.

Metrohellitan.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 8, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

for the sake of the league he needs to be in a big American market do probably Philly is his best landing spot. Bedard in Columbus is just the NHL version of LeBron in Cleveland or McDavid in Edmonton.

Gary wrinkles at your funny way of spelling Chicago.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Meanwhile, who's best with their lottery scratch off ticket picks in Rounds 3 and lower?

https://twitter.com/eliteprospects/status/1623053194346504208?t=zvM5luMb_8Fy5QHAX2Febw&s=19

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Wasn't Tarasenko the one who tried to get the Blues to sign Panarin initially and they wouldn't go for it?

Koopa Kid posted:

https://twitter.com/jonassiegel/status/1623765322023968769?s=20&t=2GiDVzvve_dzZ-2HxEYLWQ

I knew in my heart that Dubas was never going to change from his nickel-and-dime 4C, 6/7D and some random reclamation project/grinder formula but it's brutal to see it happen in real time weeks before the deadline.

https://twitter.com/JhanHky/status/1623765805820149766?s=20&t=2GiDVzvve_dzZ-2HxEYLWQ

Why change when things have gone so well every year?

Is this where I point out the rumors of the Leafs kicking the tires on Boone Jenner?

Because I'll gladly take another 1st off your hands in an overpay.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Levitate posted:

Seems good, like that it was done now rather than at the deadline. Gives more time to fit into the lineup. Fixes the "Vesey at top RW" issue, gives the Rangers some nice depth:

Panarin-Zibanejad-Tarasenko
Laf-Chytil-Kakko
Kreider-Trocheck-Vesey
Goodrow and some other garbage that will hopefully be improved

Mikkola sounds like he sucks offensively but is even defensively so probably better than Harpur. If nothing else gives some depth and option for the third pairing.

With two firsts they could "afford" to give one away so that's fine. Condition is that Blues get the later of the two Rangers 1st rounders.

Has there been a trade recently where a team with multiple 1sts didn't have some condition to trading one of them (lottery protection, "you get the lower of the two", etc.)?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Bard Maddox posted:

https://twitter.com/BlueJacketsPR/status/1625518287516758019

it's wild that you can just say you're doing this now. I guess the NHLPA wouldn't have anything to say about it since the player is still getting paid to sit but seems weird to me!

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1625523664534880256

Milstein was the dickhead who kept stringing the Jackets along on Bread until Panarin fired him mid-2019, so I wonder if there are some agent-related shenanigans here.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I don't know but I'm excited to see who does because somebody's getting fleeced.

Related:

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1625657350802530307?t=WqHA0wScRznQYaZbuArR3Q&s=19

Tell me you're tanking without telling me, etc.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

What was the impetus for when the Russians tried to say Panarin was a rapist? I'd imagine that would be the sort of thing that someone would theoretically be worried about.

He spoke ill of Putin and even joked about a laser dot showing up on him during the interview for saying it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'd like to thank the State of New Jersey for depriving Columbus of a point, if not two, in the tank campaign.

If it were any other season or that happened, I'd be irate, but not this one. Columbus played well enough to get OT and were saved from themselves.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/OmiGoodness4/status/1625692344308596737?t=lIxjteVVP2Q6_b63kt6_Mg&s=19

:allears:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

T-Bone posted:

Yeah it seems like Washington actually made some really solid depth moves on F (Milano/Strome specifically), but that their core outside of Ovi just isn't good enough anymore (or at least this season). Kind of the opposite problem that the Pens are having, interestingly enough.

the real salt:

I mean, what else is he gonna say, but 35-13-5 team with a 21 year old MVP candidate and a top 2 prospect pool probably is going to continue to be good for the foreseeable future.

Although if the Blue Jackets tank enough / get lucky enough to win the the Bedard lottery, the second half of that sentence could easily apply to them so maybe Johnny should work on getting hit by a bus or something

For what it's worth, Columbus' pool is right behind the Devils at 3 if we're using The Athletic's rankings.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

The funniest thing about the Gaudreau situation is that if even half the stuff he said at signing was true he just really, really seems to like Columbus for some reason, and now he's playing for the worst team in the league and getting booed by people who felt entitled to his services because of media hype

It'd be one thing if he got booed in Calgary. That's fine.

But he got booed in New Jersey. And Long Island.

And then, for some inexplicable reason, Edmonton* and Vancouver. ( I can't remember if he did in Philly or not, though they may realize their own GM is to blame there.)

Bread didn't take that kind of heat for passing on Florida and the Islanders.

e- "*YT or it didn't happen":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XlP-tWHVeQ&t=434s

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 15, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

T-Bone posted:

Yeah I think they can actually turn it around reasonably quickly if they get Bedard and Johnson pans out. Probably even if they get one of the other big guys and Johnson pans out.

They'd have a young core of Kent Johnson, Cole Sillinger, Kirill Marchenko, Dmitri Voronkov, 2023 1st rounder, and David Jiricek potentially cracking the lineup next year.

My concern with Johnson (and Marchenko) is a sophomore slump. Hopefully, Sillinger can pick it back up if they send him to Cleveland in the post-season and that will translate to year 3. If that can happen, one of KJ/Marchy can avoid a slump (Johnson has shown signs of being potentially elite, but there's some fine-tuning to his game still needed; Marchy has been a scoring machine) and they add Jiricek and Bedard (or Fantilli, etc., which seems fairly certain at this point), they could right the ship quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

WeaponX posted:

Most of the time players play for a team because they have friends on the team or some other connection. Didn’t he say some guys reached out and vouched for the Columbus org? Maybe it was the better move for his family. Maybe some guys don’t want to play for a team near their hometown and dealing with that stuff. He explicitly said he likes not being as recognized/pestered in public the way he was in Calgary. But no its because he is a big meanie who would rather die than play in NJ because they smell that last part is true

He's friends with Cam Atkinson from BC and grew up with Eric Robinson. I seem to remember something about Dalton Prout, which would be the most useful he ever was to Columbus.

(E- and Erik Gudbranson was the one who tipped the team off that he was interested via Derek Dorsett.)

eXXon posted:

Ohio is awash (in vinyl chloride). Anyway, check out my top 50 US state power rankings:

East Palestine is closer to Pittsburgh than most of Ohio.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 16, 2023