Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Jesus gently caress, we're still paying this - I thought it had ended by now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Lake Placid was also poo poo ice because lol beachside hockey not ideal

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

for the love of god sign Bratt so we have Hughes/Hischier/Bratt locked up

Would also be ideal to not allow a goal against in the first 5 minutes of every game

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

N: Devils are back
V: Baby

Genuinely think we make the playoffs as of now - question is how far can we go? Will be happy with this season regardless of the outcome, a lot to build on once Bratt gets re-signed to have a formidable core. Goaltending still seems up in the loving air though, not sure Blackwood has been worth it. I think we can move Bernier's contract too in order to hold on to Vanecek?

e: Mercer also turning into a decent 2-way forward. Just so much to like on this team at the moment.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 11, 2023

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

fawning deference posted:

Vitek has been very solid, he was at a .914 before this game. I also really like Schmid. Their goaltending is good enough between those two imo

Yeah, I mean I enjoy both of their play - I just feel like if there's going to be a weak link in the playoffs, goaltending will still be it. Vitek has his moments as good as he's been, but I dunno. We'll see what the 2nd half brings.

Like I said though, this season has far surpassed all my wildest expectations. Got used to spending the better part of a decade stinking. I also think it might be time for an avatar change.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Yikes, 3 games back to back to back on the West coast with the final one being an early start for the Devils.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

WoodrowSkillson posted:

bullshit putting yzerman behind sakic

lmao at Hasek higher than Roy and Brodeur, he was good but lol.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Dan Cloutier is the best goalie of a generation. So many memories.

Also re: Hasek - it's more that he shouldn't be in the top 10 alone. I'd atleast put Roy in there at a minimum. They're the top 3 goalies ever IMO and are on equal levels to me, each with their own strengths. Hasek was no doubt incredible in Buffalo. I'm also not really a fan of putting active players into "all time best" lists

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Yeah I've only ever heard golden goal in Soccer - usually in a tournament where it's sudden death without penalties. They don't tend to do these formats anymore.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Devils need to stop playing Miles Wood and turf his rear end come deadline or in the offseason. I counted 7 times he went offsides on good breakouts when the Devils had all the momentum in the 1st and part of the 2nd. They were holding on to the puck and spending a lot of time making average chances down low. Then this loving idiot takes terrible penalties, makes horrible passes that end up as turnovers. His skating abilities are questionable as well, he nearly fell over twice just coming to a stop.

e: thank gently caress he's a UFA - 3.2 mil for this crap ain't it.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Feb 17, 2023

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

So they retired Chris Neal's number in Ottawa?

Also, I dunno why but it feels like Toronto has too many cooks in the kitchen now and I'm guessing it might backfire.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Dr Zaius posted:

I before E except after O

wierd

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

So, I'm no cap guru or anything, but:

Let Go of Wood - 3.20mil
Let Go of Haula - 2.38mil
Let Go of Severson - 4.16mil
---
Pay Bratt 7.5 - 8mil
Pay Graves 4 - 4.5mil
Get Meier if he doesn't sign elsewhere.

Govich, IDK

Not sure how much this leaves in cap space for next year with Johnsson and Bernier, but hopefully there will be enough to get another goalie? Is Bernier fully dead? He was listed as at practice two weeks ago

lol that we're still paying the Kovalchuk penalty

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 22, 2023

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Meadowlands also says hi

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Yeah, some trim on those and they'd be electric.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Remember when everyone wrote the Bs off at the start of the year? Yeah me too.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I for one am happy to see the Pens regress to being poo poo again.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I'd rather keep Mercer than cap out someone who's asking for too much in return. Unless they give us Hertl as well the Sharks can gently caress off and I'd rather see this young core develop and just shitcan the dead weight like Wood and get someone on a more level contract so we can definitely re-sign Bratt. Playoffs be damned, I'm not wading through another 10 years of shittiness because of bad roster decisions.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

This is precisely why we can't allow players like Mercer to be traded for a 'possible' fit with a massive price tag. We have a nucleus of great talent to build and plug and place around - don't gently caress with it. This is what the past decade of sucking has culminated in after resetting everything and trying to build for the future instead of going ham. We've seen what happens when teams do dumb poo poo to try and get into the playoffs or win a cup and when it doesn't work out it's such a massive handcuff for those teams, especially if they're carrying no move clauses and all that.

Devils have had to suck up a lot of poo poo with Kovalchuk, Schneider, Grabner, Clowe and a host of other inane crap over the years so I'd like to see us retain talent rather than patch it over with rentals who might just end up being utter garbage.

We kind of need to shore up the Goaltending somehow cus I don't think V-tek can hold the fort on his own and I'm still out on Blackwood.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 24, 2023

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

now sign bratt plz

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Yeah that doesn't bode well and I'm not going to be thrilled it seems

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

The New Switzerland Devils

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Please be Miles Wood Please be Miles Wood Please be Miles Wood Please be Miles Wood Please be Miles Wood Please be Miles Wood Please be Miles Wood

I'm guesing it's either Zetterlund or Johnsson like you guys have said

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Matt Zerella posted:

There's a chance Mika just broke his ankle blocking a shot. If that's the case just drop this Kane bullshit because that's the season.

I thought it hit him on the knee first, but looking at it went right above the boot and that was a hard slapper too. The fact he could not put weight on it instantly was pretty telling

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Mika is on the bench so no break

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

This just in Timo Meier has retired from Hockey

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Doesn't read too bad and definitely suggests Meier isn't a rental (duh)

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

T-Bone posted:

Just realized the Devils will have a decent PP2 come playoff time maybe and I won't have to see Haula on it (who am I kidding he's still taking draws)

PP1:
Bratt-Hischier-Meier
Hamilton-J.Hughes

PP2:
Sharangovich-Mercer-Palat
Severson-L.Hughes

Isn't Severson going to potentially go during Free Agency though? Or are you basing this on not re-signing Bratt?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

73 posts, what the gently caress happened in an ho.. oh.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

94 caused a lockout

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Bill Armstrong bursts into a comp sci class at ASU: "DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO USE A COMPUTER?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

please don't bring back Dustin Brown