Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Does this chart not show him making a lot of high danger passes that don't result in shots?
I think it's showing that Bratt isn't shooting himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
The only players who have 7 100 point seasons total are Gretzky, Lemieux, Stastny, Bossy and Dionne.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I knew he was having a career revitalization but I didn't realize Erik Karlsson was already at 53 points goddamn.
He's leading the league in Even Strength points

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

stab posted:

That the Cheechoo or Heatley statline lol
Cheechoo. Heatley had a bunch of good years before falling apart in his 30s

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Requiring 1 All-Star per team when there's 11 players per division. Cool cool cool

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah it's what they do. They crush mediocre teams. They finish high, have no trouble with whatever lesser team they play in the first round (Boston last year was a stiffer challenge than usual) then they have to play an actual contender and they lose.

It's a real good place for the Hurricanes to be after a decade of losing real bad, but Brind'Amour may not be the guy for taking a good team to the Cup.
I think the big issue with the Hurricanes is that there absolute best players aren't as good as say Boston's or Tampa's. From their end you would have been hoping for Aho/Svechnikov would get to that next level. I don't think that's something a coaching change fixes and I'd rate them really high in areas that are more attributable to coaching.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Does he just thrive on being "the guy" or what's up here
has he been hurt the last few seasons?
It's wild he's just suddenly good again

I see he's getting some easier zone starts but that can't be the whole story
He had major groin issues.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

eXXon posted:

My ~eye test~ doesn't match the fancy stats but either way he's vastly exceeding expectations. He got absolutely clobbered crashing the crease last night so I can only assume it's just a matter of time before he's broken again.

I think the more important question is what's your all-time Ontario towns team? Something like:

F. Hamilton - Lindsay - D. Hamilton
Timmins - Barrie

Can't believe there hasn't been a good Kingston/Windsor/London recently.
Dryden in net

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I think the guy that was drafted 2nd overall as a player you can build your entire franchise around is a bust yes. The only bigger bust at #2 in recent memory is Nolan Patrick.
How recent are we talking about? Like he's a better player than Ryan Murray and I think we're well at the stages of being concerned about Kakko and Byfield

If we're calling Laine a bust than the term has no meaning

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
There was 0 chance whatsoever that the Sens were re-signing Duchene

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

AsInHowe posted:

The Athletic is doing a top 100 players since 1967, and they are down to the final 21. Brett Hull was #22, today.

Who am I forgetting of the top 21?

1. Gretzky
Yzerman
Lemieux
Jagr
Messier
Crosby
Ovechkin
Lafleur
Bossy
Dionne
Esposito
Sakic
McDavid

Orr
Lidstrom
Bourque
Coffey

Hasek
Roy
Brodeur
Potvin?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Plenty of talented bigger guys turn out to be too injury prone to have NHL careers too, Beau Bennett was 6'2"
During his draft cycle the consensus on Lindros was that his size made him invincible

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Bedard has been seen as that ultra high tier of prospect forever, and dominating the World Juniors solidified that. I think he's seen a bit lower than Crosby/McDavid but it's not a big margin.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Nick Foligno was 10th in the league in scoring one year.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Unless McDavid blows out his knee next month and never plays again, he's a top 5 player all time and should already be far higher than 16.
They were very inconsistent with how much projection they had for current players. Draisaitl was not included at all

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Toews above Malkin is a goddamned travesty and it better not happen

Toews was good for like 5 years
Toews was 65th and Malkin was 26th

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

The Canucks penalty kill this month is 59.4%
Is That Good?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Diet Crack posted:

lmao at Hasek higher than Roy and Brodeur, he was good but lol.
That one is accurate

Lidstrom over Bourque is quite dumb IMO

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

I can't believe I'm doing this again, but man no Lidstrom is the 2nd best defenceman ever. He is the only defenceman over the age of 35 to have won the Norris Trophy in the expansion era, having done so three times including at age 40 (the year before he retired). He also won four other Norris trophies and a Conn Smythe for good measure. He made the playoffs every single year of his career and only retired because he wasn't interested in going through a rebuild. He likely had another 5 seasons in him if he'd wanted to keep going, his play had barely declined by age 41 when he hung them up.

Aside from Orr, the only player who maybe competes for the crown of best defenceman ever with Lidstrom is Eddie Shore who retired in 1940 and is most notable for nearly killing Ace Bailey during a game.
Bourque was a runner up for the Norris at 40 when he retired, made the playoffs every year except 1 on much less stacked teams, was top 4 in Norris voting in 19 of 22 years, never finishing below 7th and was runner up for MVP twice. To me, Bourque was considerably better before they turned 30 and still close enough past then that he had the better career.

Eric the Mauve posted:

We're talking about the last few years of his career here, which were pretty good but no really no better than the last few year's of Messier's. Messier is underrated as a player because he's a dick and because the tail end of his career was so Kafkaesque.

Kinda odd really--Messier was a beloved face of hockey most of his career and then spent his final playing years as a pariah. Jagr was a pariah most of his career and then spent his final playing days as a beloved face of hockey.
This is probably the only list that underrates Messier. He was also still beloved on the Rangers, it's just Vancouver that was an issue.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Bobby Hull died. Seemed like a bad dude

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Brett seems to hate his guts too

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

I'll be shocked if he doesn't end up on Chicago, the NHL really needs an excuse to "turn the page" on (little Carmine voice) whatever happened there.

Philly and Detroit would be annoying but understandable. San Jose and Anaheim would be most preferable for me. Buffalo doesn't need him, Columbus would be a waste, he should really pull a Lindros if he goes to Arizona, Ottawa would be a waste, Montreal would be a waste, St. Louis would be a waste, Islanders would be catastrophic. Him going to Vancouver would be like that one episode in Game of Thrones where Tyrion sees a dragon and has hope again, but it would also have a similar ending (Vancouver burning down after they lose their third game 7 Finals game and he leaves). But I still hope it happens so they can enjoy it for 7-8 years. It feels good to hate that franchise less now and the Connor battles would be fun.
You know they don't actually rig the lottery right

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

My favourite is still when Sportsnet had him as their super secret trade guy, and they filmed him in darkness as if no one could know his identity.
They also got smoked by TSN that year

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Levitate posted:

How do we know he played elite defense? Serious questions. Always feels like one of those word of mouth things
The Bruins allowed a considerably higher rate of goals with him off the ice than with him on

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

is this real
They announced it last year.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

deoju posted:

Jay-Z had a banner in Brooklyn when I saw the Isles play there. Something like "8 sold out shows in 8 days."
He had some ownership stake in the Nets at the time

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Carver posted:

I love conversations like these because then i spend the next 30 or 60 minutes looking at hockeydb for fun.

What I'm looking for now is what's the highest pick who had a long NHL career despite seeming completely useless?

My pick has always been Wayne Primeau but i'm curious if there's obvious ones i missed.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=11363
Luke Richardson had 1400 games and was brutal for most of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The Red Wings lost…!!!! :yeshaha:

Edit: Detroit is playing Ottawa in Ottawa two nights in a row? That’s weird… was one of the games rescheduled due to weather?
Yeah in December