Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Looking over the standings to see how crazy Bobman's toxx was. Even if you assume the Penguins and Islanders (or Devils and Caps, whatever) will both collapse so the Atlantic can send 4 teams, the Sabres still need to get ahead of the Red Wings while also not being caught by the Panthers or Senators (yes the Senators are only 3 points behind them, and IMO will be dangerous if/when they fire their incompetent coach).

But the silver lining I just noticed is that the Sabres have weirdly only played 34 games, they have 2-3 games in hand on everyone else except the Red Wings. So that does help a lot. But there are a lot of teams they have to catch. They're 6 points back of the current 3-way tie for 7th-9th place in the conference, and 6 points is actually a ton when you're chasing multiple teams and also have multiple teams right beside you. Put another way even if you assume all 3 games in hand are wins, that still only puts them into a 4-way tie for 7th-10th.

The Metro is a gigantic clusterfuck. The Hurricanes are the clear #1 and then it's a quagmire of shaky teams. The Caps' position (3 points ahead of the PIT/NYI/NYR tie) is more precarious than it looks because they've played 39 games where everyone else has played 36 or 37. So in reality it's basically the Canes, the Devils (freefalling the last month and on the cusp of sliding into the Metro swamp), then the aforementioned swamp, a 4 way battle royale between:

- The ancient Capitals
- The even more ancient and also lately freefalling Penguins,
- The Islanders, who have no business here but are just kind of semi-competently chugging their way toward the playoffs amid the madness around them, and
- The Rangers, who have no business here (in the opposite way!) but whose coach appears to have lost the room so they could go either way.

Probably 5 of the 6 will make the playoffs, though the Sabres could make it interesting at least.

You can continue to put me down as not at all trusting Lindy Ruff. I know how great the Devils are playing as per every known metric. I still think there's a big chance they slide out of the playoffs. It's a fuckin' bloodbath in the Metro. But maybe that's partly some wishcasting because I don't want to admit the weakest of these 5 teams is the Penguins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I think there are going to be some loving lunatic trades near the deadline as all the teams in the Metro swamp breathlessly bid for Kane, Chychrun, and whatever else is available. The Caps, Pens, Islanders, and Rangers are all 100.0000% going to be active buyers. Plus the Oilers are doubtlessly going to continue to be the Oilers. I think at least one of them will wind up trading their unprotected Bedard lottery ticket. This is a great year to be a seller.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

If it wasn't for COVID, McDavid would be closing on his 7th consecutive 100-point season. That would have put him second all-time.

I read this and thought "that can't be right, 100 points in the 80s was like 75 points now" but far as I can tell from looking up likely guys... it's right. Every guy you'd think would have done it (including McDavid!) had at least one perfectly placed injury or strike season preventing it. It's just Gretzky. Who did it 13 consecutive years. Because he was Wayne loving Gretzky.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Crosby probably would have hit 9 in a row if not for injuries. He was pretty much a lock to hit 100 points if healthy prior to the 2014 season.

Yet he has only five 100 point seasons total, and three of them are just barely (100, 103, 104--but the 104 led the league). Kinda the point of the exercise--Gretzky not only dominated, he also had a level of durability and consistency that's unmatched.

I know it seems impossible to believe now but Crosby is going to be greatly underrated by hockey fans of 50 years from now.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

He has three, but in a related story, he has only five seasons of 70 games played in his career.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Klingberg is probably going to be available, they could get him

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Matt Zerella posted:

I haven't really been paying attention to the Panthers but my god they looked bad tonight. Is it really all Maurice?

Yes. Yes it is.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

clean ayers act posted:

Maurice has been coaching in the NHL essentially non stop for 26 years and is only 55

He is the losingest coach in NHL history

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1609940917896777728
lol the bruins/red sox actually put together real throwback uniforms while the pirates just gave the penguins ugly-rear end military jerseys from the back of the team shop

Next level funny when you realize the same people own the Red Sox and the Penguins

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Pens with the same annoying mistakes they've made all year and Sullivan's usages are being vexing and problematic.

I mean there are obvious problem spots on the roster (several of them) and it's not like other teams are unaware of them.

I've retained my optimism all year so far and still kinda just assume they'll rip off one more hot streak yet. But rationally, I must admit it looks unlikely they'll make the playoffs this year. I just hope they Bedard-protect their upcoming first round pick when they trade it.

e: and frankly I'd rather they miss the playoffs and get a 2% chance at Bedard than snag the 8 seed and get swept by Boston one last time for a swan song.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 3, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I think either way there are going to be major changes this offseason, Burke will "retire" and Sullivan will probably reach a mutual agreement with the team to let him out of his contract and go to NYR or whatever. I guess Hextall could stick around but probably not.

Or maybe not idk, the Pens seem content to keep running it back forever and maybe just barely making the playoffs and getting crushed in the first round'll be enough for ownership to load 'em back up.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

That there's been so little word on Petry makes me wonder if he may end up on LTIR-island come the offseason.

Had the same thought but more along the lines of right now, to open cap space for the inevitable picks-for-veteran-rental trade. I fear they're going to end up meeting Arizona's demand for Chychrun who IMO isn't remotely worth it. Would love to be wrong about either or both of those things.

I don't know, I'm just shocked and amazed that trading 23 and 26 year old defensemen for 32 and 35 year old defensemen didn't work out. Who would've imagined?

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 3, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

No worries. It will be the Blackhawks.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yes my working theory is that they are run by idiots.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Vrana may very well clear and be sent down. Seems like coaches really dislike him.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Which player(s) should he be using more?

Obviously Dumo and Carter are washed up but we can't know if Sullivan's hands are tied in terms of continuing to play them, and also they have no cap space and no prospects worth mentioning.

Sullivan's obsession with veterans is problematic but a lot of the Pens' lack of talent and youth is on JR and Burke.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Agreed with all of the above including Kapanen's ice time. Sullivan has been relying on 3 lines for nearly a week now. Rust played the most of any Penguin last night. Also I think Todd Reirden should be demoted to WBS and someone else take his place.

Sullivan aside though I think Hextall needs to do something. Sullivan can't keep playing Dumoulin if he isn't there. So, for me, some of the team issues can be laid at the feet of management.

Yes let's continue with the pleasant fantasy that Hextall and not Burke is making the moves. I'm sure taking the oldest team in the league and loading up even more heavily on old slow guys was 100% Hextall's idea.

As much as I would love to see the Moneyball scene re-enacted with Sullivan saying "Well, I am playing him 25 minutes tonight" and Burkestall staying "I don't think so... he plays for Detroit now" Dumo gets to block trades to 10 teams and there may not be one among the other 21 dumb enough to take Dumo's remains (:rip: Dumo, you were cool and good) without the Pens coughing up significant draft capital. That's even if we're pretending the team isn't run by Brian loving Burke who is not in a bazillion years going to trade a Proven Veteran to open up more ice time for a fresh faced youngster.

I think ownership will clean house after they miss the playoffs or get swept by the Bruins (as I said last page I think) and that'll probably include an amicable divorce with Sullivan. After that, who knows. They're not going to blow it up as long as Sid's there but I don't think they're going to sit on their hands anymore with the team sinking.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

This is all accurate but it doesn't make this situation any less weird. A functional Vrana is probably the best goal scorer on the Red Wings. Waiving him is bonkers on the surface when you can waive Erne or Ned first. Soderblom had played well too, but he could go back to Grand Rapids and not get his development messed up. And you'd have to imagine he has trade value, because again, great shot.

There's definitely something we don't know.

Probably true, but it doesn't necessarily have to be any more complicated than Erne or Ned would probably be claimed and Vrana probably won't be. (And I'd be shocked if he had any trade value at his cap number.) If he isn't they can stash him in the minors in case of injuries and then probably buy him out this summer.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 4, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I was not wrong about Tage Thompson, but only because I had only the dimmest awareness of who Tage Thompson was before three months ago.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jake Guentzel is really good and also plays most of his minutes with Sidney Crosby. He's probably the physically weakest player in the NHL and I'm not sure he'll have a long career but he is a really good offensive player and a legit 30+ goal guy.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Levitate posted:

Rangers extend Vesey 2 years $800k

lol

gonna be amazing watching the Rangers dumbass their way to zero Cups with the pile of young top end talent they got

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ok I've got to come clean and admit that I confused Vesey with Blais. Imagine if they actually paid Blais $800K a year hahahahaha :suicide:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Pretty sure Lindros was the most eye-test motherfucker of all time

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Schremp Howard posted:

I’m shaky on waiver rules, can you trade them later if you claim them waivers? I know buyouts and offer sheets have weird rules, but if you were a basement dweller with cap space it wouldn’t hurt to claim him and give him easy spots to put up points and then flip for a pick at the deadline with 50% retained.

If you wanted to get a pick for taking half Vrana's salary, you very likely could simply have called Stevie and he'd have given you one and you can keep Vrana too.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I think I must have failed to understand what you actually meant by "eye-test motherfucker"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Kane is exactly the guy I am terrified Brian Burke will get into a bidding war and end up paying the Pens' Bedard lottery ticket plus another 1st plus two 2nds to rent for six weeks. I'm over here praying ownership refuses to allow him to do it because otherwise he is 100% going to do it.

Trading that or more for Chychrun would also be horrifying but at least he's young and signed for a couple years. It's detestable enough Kane is a rapist, he's also old, expensive and yet another floaty zero-defense forward to go with Geno and K****** K******* is the very last thing the Penguins need. Big agree that it would be wonderful if the Rangers or Islanders or literally anyone would outbid Burke for him.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 5, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

The Pens have no cap or I'm sure they'd be all over Toews

Petry being on LTIR opens up enough cap space for the Pens to acquire pretty much anyone if the other team retains some

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

And in life, really.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There should be an addition to the holding the stick rule that if you can take the stick out of your opponent's hands before the whistle blows then it's not a penalty and he has to do the skate of shame back to the bench.

(I assume in that case that Ryan let go of his stick because he assumed it would be an automatic penalty)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Wait what guy named Fleury is in the top 5 all time, and of what

e: can't fool me with a ninja edit, I know what it said :colbert:

Anyway, wait what guy named Fleury is in the top 10 all time, and of what

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

1. Tom Barrasso
2. Marc-Andre Fleury
3. Matt Murray??
4. Um... Ken Wregget?
5. Hell, it might already be Jarry. Actually he might already be 3rd.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Pens are bad and missing their top 2 right handed d men isn't helping. Mike Sullivan deciding he's going to play Ty Smith 25 minutes a night isn't either.

Without Letang and Petry they're just a pretty bad team with a totally untenable D-corps and while Sullivan's deployments aren't helping, there's nothing any coach can really do about it. They probably aren't going to make the playoffs.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah also agree. They're always going to be able to win any game but elite teams aren't really going to have a problem handling them in a best of 7.

As for Boston, we'll see if they're as healthy in June as they've been most of the year. If they are, it's tough to see any other East team besides Tampa and maybe NYR if they turn things around beating them in the playoffs.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I dunno, I feel like that's a weird assessment of the Hurricanes. If they were losing in the first round every year, then yea, but in the last four years they've been to the Conference Finals once and the second round three times. Well I guess one of those years the "second" round was actually after a qualifying round, so maybe that only half counts, but still. It's not like they're losing in the first round every year like the Leafs.

Yeah it's what they do. They crush mediocre teams. They finish high, have no trouble with whatever lesser team they play in the first round (Boston last year was a stiffer challenge than usual) then they have to play an actual contender and they lose.

It's a real good place for the Hurricanes to be after a decade of losing real bad, but Brind'Amour may not be the guy for taking a good team to the Cup.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah that's true and there's also their organizational philosophy that goalies are fungible at the NHL level--which I happen to think they are mostly correct about, but the record does show their goaltending regularly lets them down in the playoffs.

Aho is a legit superstar and absolutely good enough to be the best player on a Cup team IMO, but he's the only player at that level they have.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Next comes Barkov demanding a trade.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There are only three contenders in the East: Boston, Tampa, and Carolina. The Rangers could still get back into that group but it looks unlikelier with each passing week. I'm still not buying Lindy's team as a contender. And the Leafs are, forever and amen, the Leafs.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Are you aware that they are the Toronto Maple Leafs?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Koopa Kid posted:

Yeah a whoooole lotta Leafs fans got got by the usual November sv% mirage, and the Leafs terrible goaltenders crashing down to earth as soon as the calendar year was up was absurdly predictable.

Also it prevented the one thing from happening that might have led to the Leafs actually winning a playoff series, Sheldon Keefe's termination.

e: Aho is absolutely an elite player, he's a PPG and one of the best defensive forwards in hockey, a loving terror on the forecheck. He's the same player as peak Toews, but no one knows who he is because he doesn't have any teammates in his weight class and plays in Raleigh. And also because he looks like he's 12.

The Hurricanes' problem is that it's hard to tell who their second-best player is, and not in a good way. But they do really well against mediocre teams (and also good teams that are on cruise control deep in the regular season) because they have no boat-anchor players and they play their asses off with a manic-tempo style that forces mistakes. But it's prone to being carved open by the better players playing better systems that the elite teams bring to bear, especially in the playoffs when they're devoting all their energy to beating Carolina specifically.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 6, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Spring Break My Heart posted:

He had major groin issues.

There's no such thing as a minor groin issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Matt Zerella posted:

Can anyone tell me what it's like to have a smart coach? Gallant ain't it.

Yeah it's really great.

You just might get to experience it soon, I have a sneaky suspicion Sullivan is going to be the Rangers coach either next year or 23-24. Seems like PAS has turned on him but I am painfully aware that whoever comes next will almost certainly not be nearly as good.