Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

tinstaach posted:

Detroit is in a weird situation roster-wise, in that they have 4 wingers (Vrana, Bertuzzi, Fabbri, and Zadina) returning all around the same time, and while they called up Jonatan Berggren as a replacement, he's playing too well to be sent back down. On top of that, They grabbed Magnus Hellberg off of waivers and he's been outplaying Nedejkovic for the backup job, so for the time being they're also carrying 3 goalies.

This is all accurate but it doesn't make this situation any less weird. A functional Vrana is probably the best goal scorer on the Red Wings. Waiving him is bonkers on the surface when you can waive Erne or Ned first. Soderblom had played well too, but he could go back to Grand Rapids and not get his development messed up. And you'd have to imagine he has trade value, because again, great shot.

There's definitely something we don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Deadline was 2pm. And Vrana cleared. Red Wings fans breathe a collective sigh of relief. More time for Vrana to get back, and room for Fabbri.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Schremp Howard posted:

I’m shaky on waiver rules, can you trade them later if you claim them waivers? I know buyouts and offer sheets have weird rules, but if you were a basement dweller with cap space it wouldn’t hurt to claim him and give him easy spots to put up points and then flip for a pick at the deadline with 50% retained.

Technically yes, but generally waiver picks have no trade value. And this was weird, because despite the cap hit, Vrana should have positive value, the whole Wings fanbase response was a collective "WHAT" to this news. This had to involve some behind-the-scenes GM stuff; either Yzerman had something worked out and it was agreed the circumstances warranted letting Vrana pass through waivers, Vrana has some real issues and it's league knowledge, or Yzerman made a bet that nobody was in a position to take on a $5.2M player that isn't in game shape yet.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

maybe he was just making a hand pun

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

T-Bone posted:

Buffalo has 12 players on Pronman's top 150 U23 prospect list (3 more than any other team), including 3 in the top 10. And Tage of course, isn't eligible.

So yeah, they're not going to make the playoffs this year but another mid round first pick (and 3 2nds!) in a good draft to go along with all that young talent isn't so bad. They certainly look like a team that's poised to be a force in the Atlantic for years to come.

The Atlantic is pretty interesting. I think Ottawa/Buffalo are pretty close to contending for a playoff spot, possibly as soon as 1-2 years. Montreal has some solid pieces but they would benefit greatly from getting into the top 4 of the lottery this year. Detroit is in that weird spot where they could really use another impact player from the draft. But in a year where the top 4 all project as potentially elite players, they've improved their roster enough to where it's not bottom of the league quality, especially with how bad the West is. I think Yzerman jumped the gun a bit on that rebuild / made some questionable signings.

All of those teams better hope Columbus doesn't get Bedard.

All of Detroit's signings were fine except Chiarot. It's been a topic in Red Wings media for a while but the general thought is there is really no way this team could have been as bad as Chicago, Anaheim, or Arizona without a firesale, so it's probably better to just not have another year of poo poo losing culture with a new core rising and Larkin in a contract year. The only new contracts going into the Wings' contention window are Copp and Chiarot so it doesn't tie them down if moves need to be made. I'm still okay with the Yzerplan. I feel like Ottawa did more to tie themselves up in an awkward barely-contending spot.

Buffalo is definitely in the best position of any of these teams.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Genuinely amazing how cold and incompetent the Canucks front office has been through this entire debacle. It would have been nothing if they'd just fired him and done a "search," but nah, gotta embarrass yourself so much that literally everyone is rooting for the coach of a team that's in the lottery.

Congratulations on uniting the entire league around hating you second only to the front office that facilitated sexual assault.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1617214293245673472

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

The Golden Man posted:

Messier lower than yzerman and Sakic ok... sure... what ever...

being mediocre for the last 7 seasons of your career has a way of diminishing your ranking

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

the kids are okay, I guess?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

ThinkTank posted:

$8x7 for Miller instead of $8x8 for Bo. :smith:

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1622327301219164160

8 x $8.5M, which IMO is a little high. that much money wrapped up in Barzal + Horvat seems questionable

would still take that over the Miller contract

also lol:

https://twitter.com/stefen_rosner/status/1622325844008910850

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

the NHL really needs some of these NBA kinds of trades

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Spring Break My Heart posted:

You know they don't actually rig the lottery right

few of the lottery results make enough actual sense for the league, compared to alternative possibilities, to suggest they're rigged

but I will always be a Crosby to the Penguins conspiracy theorist

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Jamwad Hilder posted:

If the Crosby lottery was rigged they would've sent him to the Rangers, not loving Pittsburgh.

your team can fold and move to Quebec and make it up to us

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

ESPN+ tends to work pretty well for me, aside from the blackouts. More reliable than the pirate streams but it's silly that we still have to use those to see all the games

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

The NHL is CM the RSN situation. We WBPTA whatever circumstances dictate to POF with ATOG.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

uh huh sure

trade-related upper body injury

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

secret volcano lair posted:

must be annoying to be a GM for a team like Buffalo that has SIX games in hand on Florida and the Islanders and needs to decide what they're doing at the deadline

Buffalo isn't good enough to be buyers at the deadline, but is playing well enough that they shouldn't be sellers either. They have a great future and a long window but this season they're competing with a bunch of bad teams for the last wild card spot with a tough schedule. Nobody they add is going to put them in a position to beat Boston. If they make any moves, it should be a lateral one that shores up depth for this and next season.

Detroit is in a tough spot because they're in the race too, with an equally tough schedule, and have to decide between selling Bertuzzi or holding on to try to make the playoffs. There's a real risk of losing him for nothing, but we also don't need more depth players, we need top end talent, and there might not be anything better coming back than a 2nd round pick.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

HE'S STAYING gently caress YOU LALALALALALA

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

https://twitter.com/duke_dutchy/status/1628597182403170304

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

tinstaach posted:

All the bubble teams in the East are getting passed by Detroit, and all of RWAS knows it's only a matter of time before Ville Husso stops putting up a .940 sv% and they're back in the toilet

This team is going to win three of the next four, Yzerman will hold everything at the deadline, and then they'll go on a losing streak.

The entire east wild card race is going to be a battle of sadness with each team shooting themselves in the foot until eventually, Pittsburgh falls rear end-backwards into a spot.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

What is that Jeannot return lmao

That is absurd

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

https://twitter.com/domluszczyszyn/status/1630055109643194368?t=qIN69uWQqrRdQftlcFfl8w&s=19

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

GMs should just be like "scrutinize away". Nyquist was ruled out for the season a month ago and it'll be impossible to argue he shouldn't be on LTIR, the NHL isn't fixing this with a memo

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

phew.

and with Walman locked up, this is looking good.

somebody desperate give us a 1st+2nd for Bertuzzi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

GIMME A FUCKIN TRADE I NEED MY FUCKIN FIX