Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

xzzy posted:

Up at Inspiration Lake in the enchantments.

I had the thought they should play it at the rink in Winthrop so it's actually you know, cold but they obviously can't pack 40k people in there. I guess it's cool they're doing one here but it's going to be 51° and sprinkling the whole time and the teams will trading ends every 10 minutes after a period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

hah I completely spaced on the fact the stadium has a retractable roof

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

DancingMachine posted:

Martin Jones is UFA after this year so likely he will cost a lot more than his current 2MM per to retain or replace as a primary starter. Driedger is still on the roster as well at 3.5MM per. So if Grubauer is retained and Jones is replaced/retained at say 5MM you are looking at probably something like 14 MM per year for mediocre to bad goaltending going forward. Is that totally crippling for a team, or is it pretty normal to have a red spot of that size on a good team's roster?

The Kraken's contract situation is the worst part of their books IMO. Grubauer's contract is unmovable and it's too early to buy him out, Jones is playing too well to stash when Driedger comes back and I think he's slated to be back sooner rather than later. I'm very curious to see how they navigate that and if they end up with 3 goalies on the roster or if Driedger gets reps in the AHL for a while. To your question though, both Grubauer and Dreiger have a NTC and a buyout would be brutal so I'm betting Jones walks and gets overpaid by someone. The only real out is if some team not on Driedger's list of 10 teams trades for him and they give Jones that money. Who knows though, if Driedger comes back healthy I'm ok with Jones moving on cause I do not trust that dude in the least.

quote:

The rest of the roster cap hits look OK to me at first glance, though the team is going to have a hard time retaining some of the players that are doing well this year like Dunn and Sprong. Losing Dunn will hurt a lot. Bjorkstrand maybe is questionable as to whether he is going to play up to his contract as well.

If I had to bet right now I'd say that they let Donskoi walk in the offseason and use his $3.9mil cap hit to get Dunn and (god I feel weird saying this) Sprong signed as well. All in all their cap situation isn't terrible outside of their goalies, and the 400 NTC they gave skaters, but I think a lot of that is a function of being a new franchise and not having decades to make awful deadline trades chasing a cup run.

.Spec fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 18, 2023

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

hahahah I can't believe I forgot to check that. I knew I was misspelling it and told myself I'd check before posting but alas.

edit: def append that to the thread title once he comes back though

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

what a baby

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/1620190951183646720

IDK who Aatu Raty is but that seems like an iffy return all things considered.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

The Kraken just got Jaycob Megna for a song (4th round pick) and this feels like a sneaky good business for someone who can log minutes and costs next to nothing.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

What a loving disaster. No notes

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

DancingMachine posted:

Kraken have been falling like a rock since Burakovsky got injured and are going to be out of the playoffs soon if things don't change. I can't find any info on what the injury even is or how long he is likely to be out. Just "a while" according to Francis and listed "week to week". Anybody know more?

There's been no mention other than what you've already said which doesn't really bode well. They haven't been very consistent since the break but it's felt like a lot of it is from trying to win games while giving up 4-6 goals which ain't gonna cut it. The PP is butt and has been for a while and their PK is garbo and getting Burakovsky back isn't going to fix any of that. I feel like they still have a decent shot çause the west is so bad but they're going too need to start riding a hot shooting % again if something else doesn't change.

edit: Hextall is having a media availability and naturally he's said nothing of substance so far

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

lol the blues

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

secret volcano lair posted:

who the hell is scott harrington

I always associate him with being a Penguin despite him only playing like a dozen games before being part of the Kessel trade. He signed off a PTO this year I think at this point he's a warm body with hockey skates.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

For quite a few more years too! Hell of a signing all around

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Ginette Reno posted:

Alright who is gonna bail us out of bad Hextall contract #2

Come on boys, don't be shy

He'll be a Kraken by the time the day is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

He should have considered Not Being Butt for the last few years.

Or asked for an ntc to begin with ¯\_(ツ)_/¯