Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I was thinking why Wayne Gretzky has such astronomically high scoring totals. Obviously he played a lot of games and a lot of them in a high-scoring era. To make this fair, I am just looking at per game stats.

So I tried to break it down and pinpoint if there was one particular reason.

Goal scoring: Among the mishmash of ~0.6 goals/game, with Bossy and Mario pulling away from the pack.

Secondary assists: best ever, but Mario is right there and a bunch of guys are within range.

That leaves primary assists: 25% ahead of second place and 56% ahead of third place. However, there is a pretty dramatic disparity between 80s Wayne and 90s Wayne.

Primary assists in the 90s and on: Mario takes over and Wayne is tied with McDavid for 2nd. But here it comes....

Primary assists in the 80s: Absolutely ridiculous. Its hard to imagine any sports stat where 3rd and 4th overall combined are narrowly better than 1st overall.

I guess Gretzky was a good passer in the 80s was kind of a known idea, but its interesting seeing the numbers broken down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
The East's record vs the West: 225-130-48

The West's record vs the East: 178-179-46

Go West!!

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
McDavid is going to be the first player since Lemieux to have 1.8 ppg. And the Oilers might miss the playoffs.

edit: Also probably to first player since Gretzky in 86/87 to solely lead the league in goals and assists.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 26, 2023

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Sorta kinda.

95/96: Lemieux leads league in goals; ties for league lead in assists (with Francis)
88/89: Lemieux leads league in goals; ties for league lead in assists (with Gretzky)

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 26, 2023

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
The only other players to do it were Howie Morenz, Phil Esposito, and Howe. One time each.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
In case anyone is curious:

1918-19 Newsy Lalonde leads in goals; ties in asissts (with Eddie Gerard and Frank Nighbor)
1927-28 Howie Morenz leads in goals and asissts
1950-51 Gordie Howe leads in goals; ties in asissts (with Ted Kennedy)
1952-53 Gordie Howe leads in goals and asissts
1972-73 Phil Esposito leads in goals and asissts
1981-82 Wayne Gretzky leads in goals and asissts
1982-83 Wayne Gretzky leads in goals and asissts
1983-84 Wayne Gretzky leads in goals and asissts
1984-85 Wayne Gretzky leads in goals and asissts
1986-87 Wayne Gretzky leads in goals and asissts
1988-89 Mario Lemiuex leads in goals; ties in asissts (with Wayne Gretzky)
1995-96 Mario Lemiuex leads in goals; ties in asissts (with Ron Francis)

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I hope the top of the West (other than the Kings) give up a bunch of assets for rentals. There is no stopping the Bruins this year.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
It's ridiculous how much better the East is than the West. The Rangers (6th in East) just manhandled the Kings (3rd in West) with only 4 defensemen.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Powershift posted:

Arizona Coyotes are a scam.
You know how some schools are K-12 so all the kids grow up together to make life-long bonds and whatever?

The Coyotes are going to keep trading thier picks and prospects further forward until they have the top 20 picks in the 2029 draft. Those players will all live and train together to build perfect chemistry and the Coyotes will dominate the 2030s.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Would be nice to mention the other team since not everyone is aware of every teams prospects.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Jamwad Hilder posted:

is Kane's nickname Showtime and I've never heard it until today or something? Feel like everyone keeps saying "Showtime in NY" or "Showtime is coming to the Rangers" and I have never heard that before
I've never heard it before, either. But its a good idea. I know for a fact that "Showtime" has never been used for a sports-related nickname.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
That trade is genuinely shocking. I always thought Jeff Carter would retire a King after his success during the Cup years. But then he wasn't originally drafted by them. But Quick?

I guess it shouldn't be too surprising. I guess if Brodeur can retire a Blue and Alfredsson can retire a Red Wing, anything is possible. But then those guys signed with those teams, rather than being traded. And Kane is going from lottery team to Cup contender.

All things considered (drafted by team, massive success with team, decade+ with team, last year or contract, traded from playoff team to lottery team), is there a precedent for this?

Kings GMs have been ruthless in the past. Lombardi sent Visnovsky to Edmonton a day or two before his new contract and NTC kicked in.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
We'll always have 2012
pre:
GS 	W 	L 	SV% 	GAA 	SO
20	16	4	.946	1.41	3
And then 2014, where his stats weren't as good, but he proved he was objectively better than Henrique Lindqvast.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Also they're both UFAs"
drat. I didn't know that. May be Blake is hoping for a Fiala situation - trade a 1st then signed to an extension. But Fiala was an RFA so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

tinstaach posted:

maybe the Kings would like to bring back a franchise icon

Columbus' 1st + Quick for Pheonix Copley and Alexander Edler.

Sounds fair to me