Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
In the 2022 calendar year, McDavid has over 143 points. That would be good for 22nd all-time in a single season. He's currently on pace for 155 points this season.

If it wasn't for COVID, McDavid would be closing on his 7th consecutive 100-point season. That would have put him second all-time.

How is this guy still good? Looked like he was done a few seasons ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

He is the losingest coach in NHL history

It is also possible that he coaches the most games all-time.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Obviously no one knew Ullmark was going to be this good, but between looking at his numbers on some of those Sabres teams he played for and the old fashioned eye test, it did seem like he was arguably the best goalie in their system in recent years. I wonder why they let him walk.

I am not sure why, but did the Bruins know they had a goalie this good? I thought Swayman was headed into the season as their number one? Or was it always going to be shared duties?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's just goalie voodoo and it will end in tears like goalie voodoo always does

Also, this. You can only depend on one or two goalies, and even then, things can vary wildly.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

My least favourite team was like the Leafs for like a decade where I had to cheer for someone named Matt Frattin.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

AsInHowe posted:

The Athletic is doing a top 100 players since 1967, and they are down to the final 21. Brett Hull was #22, today.

Who am I forgetting of the top 21?

1. Gretzky
Yzerman
Lemieux
Jagr
Messier
Crosby
Ovechkin
Lafleur
Bossy
Dionne
Esposito
Sakic
McDavid

Orr
Lidstrom
Bourque
Coffey

Hasek
Roy
Brodeur

Surprised that they picked Brodeur 21st, just because this felt like a list where he'd rank higher. Also, very surprised that Dionne is rocketing up the list as much as he is. I really don't understand how he ranks above Trottier and Clarke.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

pseudodragon posted:

This is the exact type of list where Dionne gets ranked super high. Dude is like the all time poster boy for great players that get poo poo on for being on bad teams. Dude was #2 all time in points before Gretz obliterated him.

Yeah, Dionne is still an all-time great. But, I see him more in the 30-50 range, than in the top-20. Not a huge difference in the grand scheme of things, really, but a tier below even his contemporaries like Clarke/Trottier.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Nick Robertson is done for another 6 months. I don't think I have seen such a cursed player.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Maybe it's changed in the era of being able to watch highlights online, but one of the issues with prospect evaluation is that you are also basing it on a small sample.

I like Pronman. He's not always right, but I haven't come across a prospect evaluator who is. You should approach it more as a guide rather than take his projections as fact.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

It is amazing what they are doing in Vancouver. Not being good enough to make the playoffs, but not being bad enough to draft high. And in a year where you want to draft in the top-4, they are doing a great job of just being outside of that.

e: McDavid scored 40 goals last night, and it's the quickest someone has scored 40 since Bure in 99-00. He's on pace for nearly 70 goals. That's insane.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 23, 2023

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Koopa Kid posted:

Columbus getting rid of Bjorkstrand for cap reasons and signing Grudbranson for big money has gotta be one of the top causes of their struggles this year. Probably worse than Yzerman tanking his D corps by putting Chiarot in the mix.

On the other hand, it's the perfect move if they get a top-4 draft pick.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

The Athletic's top 100 is now into the top-10. So, far the top-25 has been

25. Dryden
24. Robinson
23. Selanne
22. Brett Hull
21. Brodeur
20. Dionne
19. Potvin
18. Coffey
17. Messier
16. McDavid
15. Yzerman
14. Lafleur
13. Sakic
12. Bossy
11. Roy

I am surprised by how high up Selanne, Dionne, and Bossy finished. I think they are all great players, obviously, but just placed a little higher than I would have ranked them personally.

The top-10 is going to be: Hasek, Crosby, Ovie, Lemieux, Gretzky, Orr, Lidstrom, Bourque, Jagr, and Esposito. The only sure thing is Gretzky at #1 because they announced that at the beginning.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Unless McDavid blows out his knee next month and never plays again, he's a top 5 player all time and should already be far higher than 16.

I think it's the issue with ranking active players, especially ones who are in the middle of their prime.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

They were very inconsistent with how much projection they had for current players. Draisaitl was not included at all

Plus, there's this. Strange that Draisaitl was left off.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Bourque got Norris votes every single year he played, and was a finalist in 15 of 21 seasons. He won 5 of them. Probably should have won the Hart, too, in 1990, but missed out by 2 points.

He was the leading point getter on those Bruins teams in the late-80s/early-90s that went to the Cup twice and had a few Conference Finals. You'd be hard-pressed to name anyone other than Neely, Janney, and Moog, from those teams.

I feel like Bourque gets underrated.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

Didn't diminish Jagr's

By whom? He's generally rated as part of a small group of candidates for #3 dman all time behind Orr and Lidstrom, which is exactly where he belongs. "Not as good as Lidstrom" is not much of an insult.

At worst, Bourque is on the same tier as Lidstrom. I have him ahead.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 26, 2023

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Has anyone estimated how many NHL goals Bobby Hull would have scored if he never jumped ship to the WHA

Not that I have seen, but he left the NHL after his age-33 season and he scored 50 goals. Best case scenario would be near Bucyk's totals. He had 270 goals from 34-41 (the last season Hull played). But this is overly optimistic since Hull only scored 6 goals in his return to the NHL at 41 (Bucyk scored 20).

I would estimate somewhere between 150-200.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I am always surprised when I learn Lucic is still in the league.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

drat, Marchand rules.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

re: Carolina

Why hasn't Aho or Svechnikov become stars? Both looked like they were on the cusp, and then just never took that next step. Of course, they continue to be great players.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I am not sure I understand how the Isles are building their team. Sure, they are close to a playoff spot. But, even if they squeak in, what happens next season?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

T.C. posted:

Completely unrelated to anything, but Eklund popped up on my Google news feed, and it's still hilarious that this guy managed to build a career based off of initially just blogging completely made up stuff.

Like, random hfboards trade rumour board stuff

My favourite is still when Sportsnet had him as their super secret trade guy, and they filmed him in darkness as if no one could know his identity.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

I've been hate-reading the Athletic's NHL99 for awhile now. but they have topped even themselves with this, talking about whether Orr or Lemieux should have been #2:

i like reading both of these people. but Orr not in the top three--and at loving number eight...this explains so much about the list.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

yeah I saw that earlier lmao. I can understand the argument for Lemieux over Orr, even though as a Bruins fan I obviously have Bobby at #2. If you tell me Lemieux is better I'll say "yeah alright fine" I might even listen to an argument for Jagr being higher than him. But Orr at #8 is a really bad take.

Yeah, it is pretty well-established that the top-3 of all-time, post-1967, is Gretzky, Orr, and Lemieux. If you disagree with that, then there should be a much better argument than an example of recency bias.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

I would rate Lidstrom over Orr for basically the reasons that guy quoted above for choosing Lemieux over him (which is weird because Lemieux is a high peak/shortish career guy due to all the injuries). Orr's peak value was somewhat higher, but Lidstrom had an extremely long career and almost all of it was peak, and he did it against stiffer competition. Certainly Orr was a god tier player though and 8th is definitely too low for him.

e: I also think there's a good argument that the quality-of-competition gap is at least as big between the 1990s and today as between the 1970s and 1990s, and Crosby and Ovechkin are somewhat underrated because of this and actually belong right in the thick of the Greatest Other Than Gretzky discussion.

For me, it's just that Orr had such an insane peak that it's hard for me to put someone not Gretzky ahead of him. Even if you think his era was less competitive, he was so far and above everyone else, that I think he should get credit for that. He helped revolutionize the position. For example, in his highest scoring year, he scored 139 points. The next highest defeseman had 63 points. All the while playing elite defense.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Levitate posted:

How do we know he played elite defense? Serious questions. Always feels like one of those word of mouth things

I think there’s a few ways, but one of my favourites is to read contemporary reactions to his defensive abilities.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I don't mind teams retiring numbers of players who happened to spend over 1000 games with a team. Actually, if I am honest, I don't mind any time a number is retired, because it feels like a non-issue.

But Chris Neil is by far the worst player to have his number retired.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

My first reaction to this trade was that I thought ROR was washed, and it seemed like a ton of draft capital in what is supposed to be a good draft year.

However, after discussing it with people, I am now in the middle. From what I have seen, ROR has barely been above a replacement-level player this season, and this trade is predicated on the idea that in a reduced role, ROR could play well. Toronto is the team for him, if things were going to go his way. He can either play on Tavares' wing, or line-up as a 3C. At least this, in theory, makes more sense than trading for Nick Foligno.

The draft capital also makes more sense to me now, because the Leafs are only paying 25% of his salary. They need to give something up. And, it's one of those things where, if ROR fits in well with this team, AND the team can actually make a deep run this year (lol), then the first-round pick won't be as big of a deal (I will try not remember the Owen Nolan deal which took the Leafs out of the first round in 2003).

This is a big swing. This is a team in win-now mode, and the word now should probably be in capital letters. ROR's play does worry me, but I am hoping in a more sheltered role, he can play to his strengths.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Pungry posted:

Carter Verhaeghe has scored 30 goals this year. What's the most anonymous player to score 30, 40, or 50 goals? Because who the gently caress is Carter Verhaeghe?

Also, no one pointing out that McDavid has 102 points already and 20 points over #2 because ho-hum it's just McDavid.

Jacques Richard is probably the answer to the most anonymous 50-goal scorer. He only had 20 or more goals in one other season.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Canada has the day off too. Some dumb thing called "Family Day" they probably made up so they could also have President's Day off

Except if you’re in Quebec. And I think the three territories.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think it's Jonathan Cheechoo

El Gallinero Gros posted:

C'mon.

It's Gary Leeman.

Both are good answers.

Jacques Richard had 160 goals in his career, and 52 in one season. His GPG for his career is 0.29

Cheechoo had 170 goals in his career, and 56 in one season. His GPG for his career is 0.34.

Leeman had 199 goals in his career, and 51 in one season. His GPG for his career is 0.30.

For me, Cheechoo and Leeman at least had other seasons where they scored 30 goals (Cheechoo did it once, and Leeman did it twice). Richard only hit 27 one other time, and the rest of his goal totals are under 20.

I have been thinking about who is the most anonymous 40-goal scorer. And, for guys this century, it may be Brad Boyes. Kulemin may be the answer for most anonymous 30-goal scorer this century. There's too many players before 2000 to consider.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 21, 2023

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

If you also want to know, Newsy Lalonde tied for top assist getter with 9 assists.

I think this was because of the no forward pass rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

The Leafs have enter chaos mode.

FWIW, Samsonov has felt like the most dependable goalie the Leafs have had in the Matthews era.