Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Raiden was not invited back to ape fest 2024

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

boy was that ever my experience with the diamond age.

six hundred pages building up this girl's story, which was fine tbh, a little overcooked but it kept up a decent pace mostly

and then like thirty pages of "uhhhh and i guess now it's ten years later and she's an adult and uhhh she takes over the world, i suppose. yeah. she was helped by all those other girls we talked about in chapter 2, remember them? yeah they were there too. ok see ya"
first time I read Diamond Age, I got to the last chapter or so, and was like "what the gently caress just happened here?"

re-read it a few years later, and all the Primer bits are just so tedious. and then I still had the same reaction to the ending.

I may have read it a third time, I can't honestly remember.

basically gave up on his stuff after Quicksilver, just had no interest in continuing that series

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol it's basically his Prequel Trilogy, and we all know how well that went for Lucas :xd:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

re-read it a few years later, and all the Primer bits are just so tedious. and then I still had the same reaction to the ending.

I don't mind the early parts of the primer where it's fairy tales to teach a little girl how to fend for herself and be a good person and whatnot. But the later part where she learns to build a universal turing machine from a story about chains of binary code going into a robot automaton was a real eye roller. I think he wrote himself into a corner with the idea that this magic book would be able to teach someone the sum total of human knowledge through fairy tales

Also retrospective lol at the idea that in this world they have atomic level matter compilers and mechanical logic that fits in the thickness of a sheet of paper but synthesizing a human voice is too hard so they have to hire real time voice actors for every video game. It felt really like it was crammed in so that the girl would have a mother figure who I expected she'd eventually meet in real life, and it was building up to that, but then that lady just randomly gets replaced with some dude and she disappears and you never hear from her again? What?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't think it was that synthesizing a voice was too hard, it was that having it emote convincingly and correctly when interacting was hard (the actors were also doing performance captured facial expressions). something that's still true of AI voices and characters today even though it's light years beyond what was around when the diamond age was written

IIRC there's a quick mention near the end that most of the magic books in the world use synthetic voices, having real actors involved is an expensive luxury so only the proof of concept/secret gift edition has it and the mass production models don't bother

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I can actually believe that "voiced by a real person as a luxury signifier" would be a thing

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I could also believe "real person gets fired and replaced by a different person and the company expects nobody to notice"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I can actually believe that "voiced by a real person as a luxury signifier" would be a thing

Hell that's like the most believable part

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Chris Knight posted:

first time I read Diamond Age, I got to the last chapter or so, and was like "what the gently caress just happened here?"

I may have read it a third time, I can't honestly remember.

basically gave up on his stuff after Quicksilver, just had no interest in continuing that series

I think l I did diamond age as an audiobook and I can't recall 98% of the story beyond broad descriptions

I was fixing some car paint damage while listening, so it's a toss if it was the fumes of Neal's writing

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

oh, I wore a mask and had ventilation, it was neal

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Pentagon Scientists Discuss Cybernetic 'Super Soldiers' That Feel Nothing While Killing In Dystopian Presentation

Cool, where do I apply for the job of smoking weed all day and watching ghost in the shell and coming up with garbage like this?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ADINSX posted:

Pentagon Scientists Discuss Cybernetic 'Super Soldiers' That Feel Nothing While Killing In Dystopian Presentation

Cool, where do I apply for the job of smoking weed all day and watching ghost in the shell and coming up with garbage like this?

that conference looks dumb as hell and was probably just an excuse for a bunch of field grades and middle managers to take their families to disney world.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

yeah, I, too, watched encounter at farpoint

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

ADINSX posted:

they're clearly gonna do it by making it a game and getting teens to play it like in Ender's game or.....some other thing I forgot the name of.

hbag, your country needs your CoD headshot skills

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

also armoured core 6 just came out why aren't they building ACs that can do sick grinds and flying kicks???

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that is definitely tumblr

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I read it so you don't have to

the guy is using chat GPT to quickly do high level translations of old Japanese smut magazines for research ("research") into Otaku culture

But chat GPT refuses to translate many of them because it's got so many politeness filters that when its output contains the word dick or pussy it just blanks the whole thing

So to complete the work he has been using alternate freely available models that have the filters turned off, which are all anime girlfriend simulators, so he has to get his translations by interacting with the model as if it's a waifu

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

anime waifu is just another gui

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Sagebrush posted:

the guy is using chat GPT to quickly do high level translations of old Japanese smut magazines for research ("research") into Otaku culture

But chat GPT refuses to translate many of them because it's got so many politeness filters that when its output contains the word dick or pussy it just blanks the whole thing

So to complete the work he has been using alternate freely available models that have the filters turned off, which are all anime girlfriend simulators, so he has to get his translations by interacting with the model as if it's a waifu
*anton chigurh voice* if the research you followed brought you to this, of what use what the research

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

yeah, I, too, watched encounter at farpoint

they used that same pattern fabric for a lot of set pieces in early tng.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

infernal machines posted:

that is definitely tumblr

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jabor posted:

I could also believe "real person gets fired and replaced by a different person and the company expects nobody to notice"

that has probably happened with vtubers already

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

that has probably happened with vtubers already
that’s showbiz baybee. just ask blippy

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
roles get recast all the time in movies, tv, and video games, but I don't think it's happened that a role was recast and the production tried to keep it a secret and gaslight everyone into not noticing

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

haveblue posted:

roles get recast all the time in movies, tv, and video games, but I don't think it's happened that a role was recast and the production tried to keep it a secret and gaslight everyone into not noticing

george mcfly in bttf2 did this. they got a prosthetic mask to make the new actor look like an aged crispin glover. he ended up suing and won, and the resulting verdict was the beginning of protected likeness clauses

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/BoneJail/status/1710449127736172576

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

https://twitter.com/seevua/status/1732897783294611824

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol amazing

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

can we get a translation

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
looks pretty clear what it does to me

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think it's pretty clear

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

that's not what I said was it

Xathal
Dec 12, 2023

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i was all-in until they mentioned blockchains

Yeah. That's turns a lot of people off. It's only currently necessary for bootsrapping decentralised proofs.

If it's the energy consumption that bothers you, it might please you to hear that the Truth Beam has the potential to form the basis for a Byzantine Fault Tolerant consensus network with much lower power requirements.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

haveblue posted:

looks pretty clear what it does to me

some sort of cyber toilet I think

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

some sort of cyber toilet I think

turn your monitor on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

FMguru posted:

turn your monitor on

idgi it's still showing my posts