Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro, which today is featuring the perennial screwup by Comics Kingdom where the black layer was left off. Write your own punchline, I guess.

The Family Circus

And with the new year, let's celebrate the triumphant return to the thread of Slylock Fox by Bob Weber Jr.! It's a long-running comic for kids, featuring simple Sherlock-Holmes-type mysteries, plus games and puzzles.

Today also features a drawing courtesy of Sadie, age 10, of a hollow-eyed specter that stares into your soul and can follow you into your dreams. Further bonus materials: a (presumed) mistake in the text about who invented the duplicator ray, and how to draw an anthropomorphic nutsack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

maltesh posted:

Wait, Slylock Fox invented and used the device, not Count Weirdly?

Perhaps in recent years when we haven't been following the strip, Bob Weber has begun using the "unreliable narrator" literary device to help promote skeptical thinking in children.

Or perhaps Slylock did build it, and placed on it the initials of his intended victim.

Or perhaps Slylock is Count Weirdly, in a Tyler Durden sort of way, and all of these mysteries are just parts of Slylock's mind competing against each other while under the influence of the seven percent solution of cocaine that he took up in imitation of his famous detective hero.

(Or perhaps it's just a simple error in the text, but come on, what are the odds of that?)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

And it just occurred to me that I forgot to post yesterday's FoxTrot. This strip, by Bill Amend, began in 1988 and moved to Sundays-only in 2006. It covers the everyday adventures of the Fox family and frequently features nerdy young Jason.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Darthemed posted:

What is the situation in panel three? It goes nose, mustache, bottom teeth, and then top rabbit teeth coming out from below the bottom teeth?

I think that's just a colorist screwup; they mistook his grinning upper lip for a row of teeth.

Quick and dirty:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

The Family Circus

She found the extra marshmallows that bounced out of Luann and rolled underneath Rhymes With Orange.

Slylock Fox

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Hagar's mother is Katwin from "Prince Valiant," this is now canon

That makes so much sense.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Selachian posted:

Jughead suddenly getting all prissy about Betty's dress is a fun bit. .

You know, come to think of it, I can't recall Jughead ever having the slightest interest in the opposite sex. (Or the same sex, for that matter.) He's mostly just an observer and commentator of Archie's antics, like a slightly snarky Greek chorus who's always ready for a meal.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

FoxTrot

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

kidcoelacanth posted:

where the gently caress in the US do they live that their grandparents are four hours behind

If they live in the Eastern time zone, the grandparents might be in Alaska. If they're in Central, the grandparents could live in Hawaii.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 7/8-10/40

:fireman:

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I feel this one. It hurt to let go of my first car, even though it was irreparably broken.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Did the Muppets ever do an Adam and Eve sketch? I don't recall one but Kermit and Miss Piggy would be great in the title roles. (With Fozzie as the serpent and Sam the Eagle as God.)

Slylock Fox

...I won't do the edit, but if you want to, go right ahead.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I appreciate the small touch that the instructor looks to be older than Ed.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

Ah, the comic strip equivalent of a clip show episode. Someone was feeling lazy this week.

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

FoxTrot

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

International Fetish Day is real. (I should find something purple to wear this Friday.)

On another topic, while quoting this I noticed that your filenames are all "Screen-Shot-xxxx", so I'm guessing you're doing screenshots because GoComics blocks right-click save-image-as. Public service announcement for anyone doing the same thing: that's really easy to get around. Install a browser add-on called Stylus (Firefox, Chrome), which lets you make changes to the way your browser renders various sites. In this case, you can use it to turn off the silly right-click block. In the settings for the Stylus add-on, create a new style, name it something like "GoComics right-click" (or anything that strikes your fancy), and paste in these lines in the big code window:

code:
.item-comic-link-disabled, .js-item-comic-link, .item-comic-image {
    pointer-events: auto !important;
    cursor: default !important;
}
You are now free to right-click and download all the comic images you like.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Ballard Street is the greatest

BigglesSWE posted:

Call me biased, but I tend to agree. There's something wonderfully benign about the craziness.

If I tried to write a Ballard Street strip, it would be mere monkeycheese randomness and would be totally unworthy of the name.

I have never figured out just what it is that makes Ballard Street so magical, but it's there in every drat strip.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Not a boomer thing, it's a boundaries thing. I have my own dietary restrictions/preferences, if I order my own food I don't get in anybody's way and they can eat whatever they like.

If Ed has such restrictions/preferences, then presumably his own wife would know about them. And even if they'd gone to the pizza restaurant that Ed wanted, chances are they'd still have ordered a pizza to share, so they'd still have to consider each other's dietary preferences/needs. This is just Ed being grumpy.

Don't get me wrong, I do get what you're saying, and it's a perfectly valid reason to be disinclined to go to a tapas-style place with a large group. But it doesn't really apply here.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/8-10/40

I guess Scarlett never gets any downtime. No pauses to set up a new story, no "the next morning" or anything like that; one adventure always leads her directly to the next and the next and the next. It's like the whole strip takes place on the busiest day of her life. It's ridiculous and I'm totally here for it. :allears:

Bizarro

I like this one.

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Cranky Shafterbean

The featured comment at the moment is "Would you like to bet that guy will sell that comic book for a million dollars and then disappear?" That's a sucker's wager, seeing as how Comic Book John never leaves that room.

Perhaps I'm forgetting a detail here, but why exactly does he get any of the money? I get that she sold him a big batch of comic books in the past, but this one was accidentally left out and so it was not in that batch, yes? She owns it free and clear. It might be reasonable to charge some kind of broker's fee for selling it for her, but 50% of a book likely to be worth thousands of dollars seems... excessive.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

Once you go dry, you never say bye?

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Doomykins posted:

I feel like Gil Thorp might actually be a strip if it slowed down and showed more than one out of three beats in any given story.

Like is the woman in red some sort of... vape wholesaler? She sounds more like a fundraising organizer or something. And you know, vapes being treated with the same casual shadiness of hard drugs instead of something sold everywhere. In that last panel these two guys are up to something but I'm not even sure the author knows what.

I suppose there's profit to be made in illegally reselling vapes to a school full of teenagers who can't buy them at the gas station yet. But there can't be that much money in it, and it seems pretty clear that once you scale up operations beyond buying for a few people you personally know, you're just begging to get caught.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

:china:

:iia:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

That middle panel is a book cover waiting to happen.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

FoxTrot

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

:china:

So... the animal person is from Domain, like Domain from the Kevin & Kell hellworld? :what:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Haifisch posted:

1980 comics

I don't get either of these.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Darthemed posted:

Retail still down.

It looks up from here -- I think the next one in line is at http://retailcomics.com/comic/august-19-2011/. What's the problem you're seeing?

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Strontium posted:

Daddy Daze

I recently ran across a piece of classic Internet, and since then, I can only hear the baby as sounding exactly like the dog in the plane.

https://i.imgur.com/CC7zlpu.mp4

Ba.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox