Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball is a South Korean comic published in the eighties- forty years ago this year, although no one seems to be sure when its exact publication date was, just early 1983. Despite not really being a newspaper comic, Demons of Baseball is really important in South Korean comic history specifically and pop culture history in general for being really...well...intense. The comic changes genres a lot, and really abruptly. What started out as a typical shonen sports manga story has taken sharp turns into romantic melodrama, baseball politics, and sheer psychotic lunacy. A contemporary example of South Korean popular culture in this tradition is the movie Parasite from 2019, although it was much more common twenty years ago during the first Korean Wave.

In terms of comic influence, Demons of Baseball reminds me of the soap opera strips I've seen in some South Korean newspapers there that I just could never be bothered to figure out what was going on because there were too many characters that I didn't know who were talking about an ongoing plot I couldn't follow. Oh, but don't let that put you off starting the comic in this thread for the first time. I've curated a perfect starting point. After several hundred pages of build up where no one had any idea where this story was going, this update features an explicit description of the final goal. And if you think this guy is nuts, as it happens, everybody else thinks he's nuts too, because it's been years since anyone's seen him or anyone else in his squad of free agents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

edit: misidentified Caishen's job title

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 4, 2023

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I'm extremely irritated that this is basically the only time we've ever seen Ed express a sincere, spontaneous interest in physical fitness and his wife is making GBS threads all over him because she believes, simultaneously, that pole vaulting is disproportionately dangerous compared to other physical activities and also that it's a dumb sport for babies.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Doomykins posted:

Woo, The Bus!

Ah, that nice sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.

So is Jerry going to snitch on Marla for being at that trade show or is this when Stuart gets promoted and Marla has to bury her risky dream to take the sure money? Of course since Retail is very accurate and well written about the horror of the retail worker experience I think that second option is most likely. :(

I don't know either, for the record, but my assumption based on my knowledge of RETAILS FROM THE FUTURE is that she has to ditch the whole plan when she finds out she's pregnant and needs her health insurance.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Wait a minute. Scratch is an anthropomorphic cat. But he doesn't do any of the normal crew stuff. He isn't allowed to hunt the mice. So why do they even keep him around? Before this comic I'd have just said "because they value his friendship" but I'm hard-pressed to imagine any friendship so powerful it would compel me to clean someone's poo poo for them when they could just do it themselves.

quote:

Safe Havens

This sounds uh pretty existentially horrifying? Am I supposed to think it's funny?

Samovar posted:

In today's Blueberry: Oh yeah - late 1800s America loving sucked socially, politically and morally, or Trouble brewing..., or Campbell gets thrown a bone

Eh, if anything I'd say this comic is being way too positive about Americas social, political, and moral state in the late 1800s if this big fancy Bostonian writer is acting flabbergasted at the notion of lynch mobs.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 8, 2023

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

CommonShore posted:

This is why I make sure that every grappling class that I teach includes at least one cool fun technique, whether a basic throw or a simple submission (and at least one fundamental drill).

Powerful post/avatar combo.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

Being a mascot is actually extremely physically demanding since you're basically a member of the cheer squad and are doing a lot of the same stuff they are in addition to having to wear a really heavy suit. It's not uncommon for members of the cheer squad to alternate in the role because of how difficult it can be. So, I'm going to be really annoyed if that's not addressed.

Give it a few years. We'll get there.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

We're not sure that animal's a moose when it definitely looks like a moose and we know what mooses look like, but we're definitely sure that these are dinosaurs, which as far as we know are extinct and no one's ever seen before?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Just abruptly realized that Slammy hasn't posted in the thread yet and feeling kind of bummed.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Kennel posted:

:ssh: more like 13+ years if you dropped around GBS -> BSS move.

It's always extremely funny when some ancient thread lore pops up that I don't even slightly remember only to see that oh right that's because it predates my forums registration.

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (August 15, 1939)

OK, see, this is the attitude that's missing from modern Popeye- the idea that he would want to settle down and stop going on adventures being presented as horrifically shocking to his girlfriend, yet mundane and unremarkable to Popeye himself. A big part of what makes these characters so endearing is that they have tunnelvision, not just to their own goals, but even when it comes to understanding how other characters perceive those goals, and this doesn't make them bad people, just inherently comedic ones. It's really the main thing they all have in common to begin with, which is why it always robs me the wrong way when modern Popeye neatly tries to divide them into good and evil characters.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Nostalgamus posted:

This is rapidly becoming one of my favorite comics in the thread.

Man, I gotta say, if you'd told me last year Selachian would go ahead and post three new comics instead of just one, I would not have guessed that Pogo would be the least popular of the bunch by far. Which says a lot more about the other two than it does anything about the quality of Pogo.

Immediately guessed the coffee, but completely failed to notice that it was iced, not hot. And that's why I'm no good at the spot the difference puzzles!

EasyEW posted:

Once again, the Sunday Popeye goes full Ham.

On one end, I still dislike this comic's black-and-white morality. On the other end, drat, that is a fantastic cartoony punchline.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Haifisch posted:

2018 Spiderman

And that's the end of this glorious, stupid strip. As much as I love NSM, I'm posting a billion more comics than I did when I first started posting reruns from 1999 onward, and that includes another timeline of NSM. So as much fun as it'd be to start from the 'beginning' again, I'm gonna let it rest for a bit.

An archive of Spiderman strips from 1999 to 2017 can be found in the OP of the Newspaper Spiderman thread, and strips from later years are posted throughout it(mostly by Synthbuttrange). Modern reruns are still being posted there, so check it out if you need more :spidey: in your life.

Feels weird to mention starting from the "beginning" again considering you kind of already did, although yeah, old Spider-Man and new Spider-Man are kind of obviously not coming from the same source. Thanks for posting!

I feel like Monty's really underselling how messed up it is that he signed up an obviously-not-intended-for-combat intelligent robot to a robot fight without its permission.

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

A perky goth with a negative charisma score kind of beggers disbelief, especially considering that Dethany works most closely with Fi, whose main characteristic is that she openly hates nearly everyone.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

davidspackage posted:

Oh, Jesus. I didn't understand yesterday's comic at all until this one. Has Maggie's sister been seen before? Good thing there's a perfectly eager replacement around, Planck!

She had lines in the train scene when they were kids and also the dinner scene where Copper didnt show up. Since I knew she would be important, I had to make a point of giving her a name, and it matches Maggie's (they have a themed name in Korean) but didn't realize until the last update that "May" without context doesn't really sound like a name. The second part of your comment made me realize that a lot of the plot of Demons of Baseball can be theorized in terms of Lacanian psychology. But I probably shouldn't explain what I mean by that, because spoilers, and also because I'd be really surprised if the author ever thought of it in those terms.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

I like Randy and I like that he's doing Popeye but that is an S*P strip with the character designs switched out

The depiction of Pappy in modern Popeye always has me scratching my head a bit because yeah, he was a jerk, but he only ever even had the opportunity to be a jerk because Popeye kept dragging him along on his adventures. Pappy demanding attention from Popeye, and Popeye getting mad at him for demanding attention, are both really out of character.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Rudy stinks at tracking? Since when? Wasn't he a star player on the hunting team? How do you hunt without being able to track?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

I feel like I'm missing something that this wasn't the solution to the Rex Morgan plot like two medical emergencies ago.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT