Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSyBQ0sj-U4

Since Miss Peach is being shared, here's an animated short Chuck Jones executive produced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
It's the 50th anniversary of Hagar the Horrible this week. I think they're rerunning it to commemorate it.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
I recall that, originally, it was supposed to be a 6 months hiatus (that's how it was announced, anyway). Newspapers would carry reruns for few months afterwards with that in mind.

Aaron McGruder never came back, to the shock of nobody. After another few more weeks of reruns the strip was pulled from newspapers entirely.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Hippocrass posted:

The Captain and the Kids is better known as The Katzenjammer Kids. I have no idea why the book insisted on using the less well known name.

"The Captain and the Kids" was a separate comic strip by Rudolf Dirks featuring the same characters from the "Katzenjammer Kids" that ran concurrently for decades. This is because Dirks got into a heated legal battle with the Hearst newspapers over "Katzenjammer" when he left the strip.

In the end, Dirks was allowed to create an identical strip with the same characters for another syndicate, on the condition that it features a different name, thus "The Captain and the Kids".

The two strip competed against each other until 1979, when "The Captain and the Kids" ended. "Katzenjammer" ran for few more decades.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Selachian posted:

Everybody remembers the late lamented Al Jaffee's Mad work, including the Fold-Ins and the Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions book, the latter of which played an important role in making smart-alecky kids like me even more insufferable.

But did you know Jaffee also had a newspaper comic? Tall Tales was a wordless gag panel that ran from 1958 to 1963. The gimmick was the different orientation of the strip -- it was drawn in portrait, rather than landscape, style, taking up about half a newspaper column.

Here's a handful of randomly chosen Tall Tales strips for your enjoyment.

There was a book collecting those strips, with Stephen Colbert even writing an introduction for it. You can find used copies around

Al Jaffee is always worth sharing. Just sayin'.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Somebody suggested when I showed the strip that it could be a shortened form of "buttonholed", although even then that's a weird thing to say.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Powered Descent posted:

Slylock Fox

Look on the bright side, at least they aren't stuffing the apples with nitroglycerin and sand.

Reminder that Scott Underwood, who has been doing illustration duties on "Slylock Fox" lately, worked on "Ed, Edd n Eddy" as a board artist.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Thought of something interesting to post here.

I wanted to post a 4-panel comic from Japan, because it's an overlooked part of manga culture even though it's very popular in the country. But while looking around I found that somebody did a translation of "The Diary of Ma-chan".

"Ma-chan" ran in 1946 in Shokokumin Shinbun, a newspaper published by Mainichi Newspaper that was distributed to elementary school kids across Japan. The comic featured antics of a pre-school kid and his life.

The comic was short-lived, only running from January to March of 1946 for a total of 73 strips, but it's important historically: it was the professional debut of Osamu Tezuka, who would become a VERY important figure in Japanese comics. He was only 17 years old when it first appeared and, compared to his later works, are crude, but I figure the thread would appreciate checking it out

So... without further ado...I'll post few at a time (each page contains 2 strips)

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Larryb posted:

I seem to remember a Snoopy cartoon back in the day where not only did an adult speak but we actually physically saw them (I think it was an origin story though I forget the title)

That's "Snoopy's Reunion", which had a few on-screen adults present, most notably the guy who owned the puppy farm.

Some of the later "Peanuts" specials did feature on-screen adults, mostly in the "This is America, Charlie Brown" mini-series, plus few other specials, as well as movie "Bon Voyage Charlie Brown". This was rare, but it happened.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Larryb posted:

What was the first cartoon to start using the classic garbled speech (Wah wah wah) for the adults out of curiosity?

I had to look this up. It's "You're in Love, Charlie Brown", the 4th Peanuts special released in 1967. Also notably, that was Peppermint Patty's animation debut.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
The Diary of Ma-Chan

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Powered Descent posted:

What are they doing in the left-hand strip?

I believe it's a trick kids used to get dragonflies to land on your hand by spinning your finger in front of them. This makes them dizzy so they would land on your hand when it does.

Or so I think.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
The Diary of Ma-chan

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
The Diary of Ma-Chan

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
The Diary of Ma-chan

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
The Diary of Ma-chan

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
The Diary of Ma-chan

Fukujusou is also known as Adonis amurensis or pheasant's eye, and it's a flower found in Japan, Russia, and China.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 5, 2023

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
The Diary of Ma-chan

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
The Diary of Ma-chan

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
The Diary of Ma-chan

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
The Diary of Ma-chan

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
The Diary of Ma-chan

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
The Diary of Ma-chan
Double dose because I'll be on a road trip.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

The_Other posted:

Regular readers of this thread might also know Ham Fisher from his years long feud with Al Capp, a feud that eventualy contributed to Fisher taking his own life in 1955. Denis Kitchen and Michael Schumacher covered some if the feud in their biography of Capp; Al Capp: a Life to the Contrary. The wikipedia article on Fisher gives a brief summary of the feud, and the late comics historian R.C. Harvey did a nine part series on The Comics Journal website, which goes into more detail about the feud as well as giving a theory on why Ham Fisher kept the feud going.

I maintain that someone should make a movie about the Ham Fisher and Al Capp feud just because of how wild it got.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Back from the trip! Gonna catch up by finishing up The Diary of Ma-Chan!

Spoilered the first page because of nudity. It's Barbie Doll nudity, but I don't wanna risk it

And that's it for the strip! Like I said, it was short-lived, only lasting just under 3 months. Of course, Osamu Tezuka would go on to bigger things after his humble beginning.

That's not the end of Tezuka for this thread, though. To pad out the book collection they included a bunch of OTHER newspaper strips Tezuka did over the years. Yeah, he did a bunch, although they were all short lived. And they were all translated, so stay tuned for more Tezuka obscurities!

Before I end the post, Tezuka wrote an afterword for each strip featured in the book, including "Ma-Chan". They happened to be translated to English, so here it is:

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Chinnen and Kyo-chan
With "Ma-chan" out of the way, here's another early Tezuka comic.

According to Tezuka, these strips ran in Kyoto Shimbun while he was still doing "Ma-chan". His explanation:

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

tiercel posted:

Can someone Red and Rover the one on the right?

Oyako donburi is a dish where a bowl of rice is covered with chicken and egg. The name literally translates to "Parent and Child" (because chicken and egg, get it?).

The joke being that the little kid tricked them into going out for oyako donburi by saying he saw a "child and a parent drown".

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Chinnen and Kyo-chan

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Chinnen and Kyo-chan

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Chinnen and Kyo-chan

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Chinnen and Kyo-chan

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Chinnen and Kyo-chan

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Chinnen and Kyo-chan

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Chinnen and Kyo-chan

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Chinnen and Kyo-chan

And that's the end of Chinnen and Kyo-chan! After this is another strip from Osamu Tezuka that was picked up as a replacement for Ma-chan. Stay tuned!

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
A-chan B-ko-chan Expedition Log

So this was the official follow-up to "The Diary of Maa-chan" in the Shokokumin Shinbun, running from July 20 to October 20, 1946, exactly 3 months. This was different from the other Tezuka newspaper strips seen so far in that this was a serialized story. Tezuka described it as a "nonsense adventure manga" because he made the story up on the fly, adding "it ended up getting out of hand".

The plot as it were, is that a brother and sister go underwater to find a missing diamond ring, and, well, stuff happens. Enjoy!

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 19, 2023

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk