Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Happy New Year! :toot: Here's to another year of the very best thread on the forums.

Prince Valiant is a legacy adventure strip that began in 1937. Drawn for decades by the brilliant Hal Foster, it follows the many adventures of the titular prince of Thule and knight of the Round Table in a semi-historical, usually low-to-no magic Dark Ages setting. The strip is Sundays only, so this thread features the modern strip (by Mark Schultz and Thomas Yeates) on Sundays and classic strips otherwise.

In the modern storyline, Nathan (Val's younger son), Yewubar (daughter of an ambassador to Camelot), and a woman named Afton are being burned as witches because Afton knows some medieval chemistry. The witch hunter has just claimed that he has some kind of political deal with Camelot, but Val's a rather ask-questions-later kind of person. Meanwhile Val's wife Aleta and a few other women are performing a spell at a different stone circle miles away, while shooting stars streak overhead...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jan. 23, 1955)

The classic scans come from the excellent Fantagraphics collections. If you like what you see, please consider buying a few of these books, as they reproduce the strip in a lovely oversized format with stunning color fidelity. Foster's artwork is spectacular and these collections are probably the first time it has been given a format it deserves since first being published in papers.

When I was a kid I had trouble getting into Prince Valiant because it had a long backstory and seemed wordy and dense, so I'm including a high level summary of the plot of the classic strips to this point to help those who haven't been following along. You can find that here.

As a shorter catch-up, Aleta's business in the Misty Isles has been dealt with, and so we find Val's family preparing to travel through eastern Europe back to Thule. Currently they are in Constantinople looking to hire some of the Varangian Guard to travel with them.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Comic Strips 2023: Stupidity at all time high say experts

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 30, 1955)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Feb. 06, 1955)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Murdstone posted:

Great timing for those kind of complaints about football, huh?

I haven't seen timing this bad in newspaper comics since Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog had a VR scene with the kid being eaten by an alligator.

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 13, 1955)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Feb. 20, 1955)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pechenegs

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 6/26/40

Ah ha. I was wondering how being invisible was going to be useful in helping these people out of poverty.

I'm enjoying this strip so far, thanks for posting it. :)

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 27, 1955)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Oh my

Normally this setting doesn't have much obvious magic, but today we get Aleta casting Meteo

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Mar. 06, 1955)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

While I myself adore the slow burn, I also think those who say the "plot" portion of this strip moves too slowly would feel vindicated knowing that the dog first fell off the cliff on July 1, 2022. :v:

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 13, 1955)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Mar. 20, 1955)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Mar. 27, 1955)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 03, 1955)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Hippocrass posted:

I can't believe the Pechenegs are loving dead.

Also: Does anyone else know about the babies hidden inside the ship?

Cowslips Warren posted:

Mary Worth was an edit, right? There's no way that was real.

Uh, did anyone get the twins from the boat in Val?

El Spamo posted:

I'm sure they did, there's a rearguard or something minding the boats while they go sack a city.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

itll be funnier if aleta needs to scold a blood covered val for not actually grabbing their kids

Very very minor spoilers: It's basically not addressed! They rescue Aleta of course, and then they're back on the boats and the twins are there and just fine. Like El Spamo suggests, I assume they left a rearguard who take care of the kids and the boats, but the script doesn't really mention it. Perhaps we're meant to assume this is part of Val "making his plan" in panel four today.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If they aren't smart enough to connect the dots of "literally everyone who has tried to gently caress with his family has failed", they're not smart enough to heed the warnings of the proverbial last survivor. "Y'all were stupid; my plan, to catch him in a tiny net, will work for sure!"

It's very much like all the people who figure they can take out Modesty Blaise and Willie Garvin.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 10, 1955)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Smiling Knight posted:

I wonder whether this whole trip back from the Mediterranean via the Dnieper was inspired by the novel The Long Ships (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long_Ships#Adaptations). The timing is right for Foster to have read it, I believe that the book was pretty popular, and it contains a very similar section where the Viking protagonists have to portage their ships while dealing with Pecheneg harassment.

I apologize for always responding to things days after they're posted! I don't know the answer to this question but thanks for bringing this book up. I read it in college (in translation) and loved it. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes historical fiction, or even if you're a fantasy fan or something. Basically if you like Prince Valiant and are looking for a ~480 page book to occupy your time it's a good choice.

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 17, 1955)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm asking because I spent a few seconds staring at pixel Rae - the joke is she's now made of lego, a thing that's famously painful to step on right?

That was my interpretation, yeah.

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 24, 1955)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Charles Schulz's Dog House of Leaves

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (May 01, 1955)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (May 08, 1955)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Yay! :neckbeard:

I love the hat

Vintage Valiant (May 15, 1955)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (May 22, 1955)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Let's hope for their sake Chako isn't around

Prince Valiant

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (May 29, 1955)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jun. 05, 1955)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jun. 12, 1955)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jun. 19, 1955)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Aleta is the best character.

Also Blind Valley rules, I love the weird slow burn even if I can't explain why.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
She helped him rescue his wife from this same prison, so he owes her I guess. I'm disappointed in how they're handling her as I remember her being less crazy, but it's also been like fifteen years since that storyline so maybe I'm misremembering her.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jun. 26, 1955)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jul. 03, 1955)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jul. 10, 1955)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Stay safe little bread roll :ohdear:

Hippocrass posted:

What exactly are you using to scan with? I bought some Krazy Kat books from Fantagraphics and their roughly the same size as the Price Valiant books, and my 3 in 1 combo scanner is definitely not up to the task.

I bought a large format scanner by a company called Viisan. The model is VIISAN 3120.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jul. 17, 1955)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jul. 24, 1955)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

I wonder if any of them are starting to think it might have been easier after all to sail down the Med and up the Atlantic coast. They might have to fight their way through Gibraltar, but at least they wouldn't be hauling the drat boats uphill. Again. :argh:

People took this route in real life, so I assume it makes practical sense. I agree that as far as hard work goes I'd rather be pulling on an oar myself though.

Powered Descent posted:

Slylock Fox

drat those are fine elephant facts.

4. Elephants are just awesome all around
ǝnɹ┴ ˙∀

Oh that's too bad, I liked the design of the evil Toucan. Also :stare:

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 31, 1955)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Aug. 07, 1955)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU