Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SuperKlaus posted:

Ground floor with my comics av back

I got terminally behind last year but I'm here from the start this year - perhaps I shall repost The Bus and The Creeps
Somebody's currently reposting The Creeps, actually! It'd be nice to see The Bus again, though.

Also why isn't there a link to this thread at the end of the last thread?

Kazinsal posted:

Happy new year thread! Did we ever determine whether or not we wanted to add Doonesbury From Zero to the lineup or not? If so I will figure out how to start scraping and uploading it from gocomics a week at a time and start posting it.
:justpost: but it'd work best if you (or somebody else) can explain the now very-not-topical references it made all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

davidspackage posted:

DO AS NANCY SAYS
Comic Stripes 2023: DO AS NANCY SAYS

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If they aren't smart enough to connect the dots of "literally everyone who has tried to gently caress with his family has failed", they're not smart enough to heed the warnings of the proverbial last survivor. "Y'all were stupid; my plan, to catch him in a tiny net, will work for sure!"
Yeah, but how are they gonna recognize him? I don't think these guys have much contact with Thule or the Misty Isles or Arthur's court. He doesn't have the rep HERE, which is precisely why he needs to let one or two guys go occasionally.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

only just noticed that it's the Flagstons, plus Beetle Bailey
I think that's their teen son.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

... What is that thing and why is Nekonaughey so disappointed about it?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Darthemed posted:

So is there a joke in the thread title that I'm missing about 'stripes'?
Are you familiar with the concept of "a typo"?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Payndz posted:

Am I the only one who prefers old-school "actually like a dog" Snoopy in both design and behaviour to the more famous fat-nosed humanoid Snoopy?

Not at all.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

someone awful. posted:

oh no i suppose he will just have to eat it, what a tragedy, couldn't be helped :shobon:

(what's the difference between "plain" and "vanilla"...?)
Vanilla is vanilla-flavored.

Clearly Nekonaughey just bought a big tub of unflavored ice cream.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

we really don't say enough about how much legend of bill sucks

I just scroll past it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

...you could play Magic and vape!
Have you SEEN how much Magic costs these days???

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Murdstone posted:

Mara Llave

:china:

Every strip ends with "Interesting things will happen soon you just wait!"
It's been like four strips, they're still setting thigns up!

... I get the feeling they really should've waited to launch it until they were ready to go at the full schedule.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hostile V posted:

When Dale Earnhardt Died, Did They Just Eat His Corpse Off The Pavement

Is that how bans from sports work? I feel like that's not how bans form sports work.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

goddamnit they never smooched :argh:
The end of that side story.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Guy. Uramachi Sakaba isn't over. It's the one-shot starring the antiques dealer that's over.

IIRC it is on hiatus though

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 9/30 - 10/2/40

... what the hell is Hom-Atropine? Are we supposed to recognize it?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Drakyn posted:

I'm just impressed that Hagar ever conveyed actual slapstick humour in motion. Tragic to see how even the most lifeless zombie strip once was a work of enthusiasm.

Hm, maybe it'd be worth a Hagar From Zero thing if anybody has a suitable source.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Huh, Phantom looks a little different today. Did the art team change or something?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gotta love how the universe that keeps making GBS threads on us humans in the real world for all our polluting and stuff still has an iraq war/occupation with IEDs and poo poo.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bruceski posted:

At the risk of starting a derail, isn't a hoagie just a sandwich on long bread, same as a sub? Is this some lexical thing where in a random neighborhood the term refers to a foodstuff that is only a sandwich in theory because it's open-faced on half a loaf or something?
The bread isn't fully separated into upper and lower parts in a hoagie or sub but I think you're missing the actual joke: subdivision

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

whatever you say, dude

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Considering the age of the artist this is a bit cruel, but...

Oh come on, that looks way better than the actual pancake Teodor made.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Doomykins posted:

This Solver story is pacing better than the last few, though maybe it is benefitting from their set up.

:tipshat: Hah, thanks. I am up to daily griping though. If I'm the only dedicated reader with my daily "spot the errors" hate read then I wouldn't mind it if vanished, not enough to seek it myself. It's entertaining because it's so openly lazy and we're like two years into it now, it's not getting better and we've got the third low effort Cricket story coming in.

We just had that nice Georgia Dunn twitter thread about how many old zombie strips steal real estate on the paper and Mark Trail should've died with Jamsallen. Jules could probably make something decent if she put her heart into it(the first week of Trail strips was really nice) but by now she's just cynically locking down a paycheck and submitting naked rough draft sketches and so on.
Mark Trail should've died with Jackelrod, really.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Giant Ethicist posted:

TBQH, we’ve entered book 3 of 3 here (with the establishment of Lulu Yeah) and things continue to slip into a more and more narrative and less and less gag-oriented space as we go on.
3 of 3? Wait, is it finished? It's set as Ongoing on mangadex.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Giant Ethicist posted:

Just because I forgot to update the about page when book 3 released and announced its finished-ness. :doh:

We do have a good 100 pages to go, though, so the ride's not over yet.
drat. Well, I hope it wraps up well, at least. Beats just trailing off.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

I mean, there was that arc about the underground civilization of sports mascots, so this isn't really *new* for Crabgrass, just kind of a codification of it being a thing that happens once in a while.
That was more ambiguous, though. Somebody tried to go back to it and it wasn't there, and such.

I guess now we know it definitely happened, though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Fingerpori

SDP is a Finnish political party, and prior to parliamentary elections all the parties have these little stands everywhere and their barkers try to get you to engage and pick out a candidate, or to remind you of your candidate's voting number if you already have one.

And the other guy is the notorious pervert in Fingerpori and there is a humorous misunderstanding.

Voting number?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is it just me or is this storyline in Nancy really weird.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

~Coxy posted:

Monty

Can somebody Red 'n' Rover this one for me?
Something about strip poker in the bath?
But the wife keeps winning, so she wouldn't have to take any clothes off anyway?
And if she keeps winning, why is the husband fully clothed?
They're playing normal poker, and despite not having anywhere to possibly hide cards, Arlo thinks his wife is cheating.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Hang on, wait. Why would cabins not be available until some time after boarding?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

theironjef posted:

I'm sorta finding myself on Bernice's side here, which is the worst place to be. But you don't hire an art model to stare at their friend's dick as a fun surprise, that's stuff you disclose.
Is she getting paid?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

How true! Punk rock would be starting to emerge in 30 years

https://www.liveabout.com/history-of-punk-rock-2803345
Punk rock started to emerge in 1941?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

No, late 60s / early 70s, so I guess the comic is thirty years too soon
Yeah, and it's one of the "remember 30 years ago? didn't that poo poo loving suck?" comics, so the events being shown are happening in roughly 1911.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Selachian posted:

Archie 12/5-7/46

You linked the same image twice. Also, Jughead looking a bit, uh...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Selachian posted:

Fixed. Sorry for the distortion on the right edge of the strips, but it's all the fault of whoever scanned the paper in the first place.
Oh, yeah, I was just commenting that he looked weird, I didn't think you were making these scans yourself or anything.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It's kinda wild that these doofuses were still doing the whole horse cavalry thing in 1941. Like what the gently caress are you going to do on your horses in the 40s?
No, read the caption. That's events from 1911.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

amigolupus posted:

I missed a couple threads and last I knew, Wilbur died from going overboard a cruise ship or something. And here I thought the strip was free from him. :(
No he washed up on what turned out to be an inhabited island and didn't, like, contact anybody until he turned up back in santa royale.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

That was unexpected and also stupid.
I'd like to remind everybody that Rene explicitly told us he wasn't doing anything illegal this time. And yet here he is, resorting to (attempted) murder.

Also wait are Val and the other guy burying that lady inside her house?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Just in time.

Also, I recall the Jack Elrod era being entertainingly bad but not having a lovely rear end in a top hat doing it (as far as we know, anyway) like James Allen.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

So is Lyn just gonna avoid mentioning that the reason for that is what's NOT there this arc? Specifically, that his dad who beats him isn't there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Haifisch posted:

The Lockhorns?

Someone at arcamax hosed up. Tiger's not even one of the other comics they carry!
CK doesn't have the Sunday one up either, so enjoy squinting at this one I took from Washington Post:

Speaking of lockhorns errors, is that seriously the resolution they post the sunday comics in?