Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Kazinsal posted:

as if to hide our shame from god

But what I don't get is how Nancy can fit the TV under the blanket too.

You know, to watch Barbra Streisand sing Celine Dion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

manero posted:

Nancy 1943

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Today's Fingerpori.

That guy is clearly Hector without hair.

I wonder if that's where this story is going? Hector traveling back through time to make them realize they prefer their lovely broken van over a newer car?

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 10, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Huxley posted:

Any time I read one of the thread's translated comics and the poster just has to be like, "I did the best I could but this joke depends on both a deep understanding of 1980s Finnish pop culture and a pun based on a word that doesn't exist in English," I think of stuff like this as its equivalent.

Speaking of translated Finnish comics, it's Fingerpori!

(although no puns this time. Buns though!)

Oh here's a bonus Fingerpori.

In the original, the juice is advertised as "for (the benefit of) your eyes / onto your eyes", so there's a pun there. Hopefully this still works.

E: in case you Americans don't actually have Dallas buns and they are a Finnish invention, here's one:

It's a delicious bun with a curd topping / filling. They are very easy to make and so god drat good, so they're a staple of Finnish baking.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 13, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

I think the funniest little detail here is that this movie would be airing at 6:45 PM on one of our national channels.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Endless Mike posted:

I don't think anyone is going to complain about more Creeps

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hempuli posted:

I still don't quite get Murikka's nose situation. I'd assume he has a small nose with a large moustache underneath if the "moustache" wasn't consistently flesh-coloured. (Murikka means "Boulder"; all the names are jokey/punny in some way.)

I always assumed he had kind of a boxer's nose with a prominent, sharp bridge and big nostrils.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

It's worth noting that "Kivikasvot" (literally Stone Faces) was a singer group who also got a really awful variety show back in the 60s or 70s or something, and that poo poo was broadcast and rerun every week for a couple of decades. They're still probably airing reruns on one of our awful cable channels.

e:

people are posting sketches from it on YouTube, if anyone wants to see the height of Finnish TV comedy for decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dLtY84LRec

When the new generation finally got a chance in the mid to late 90s it was a god drat revelation. This sketch from one of the most beloved shows of my youth, ("Studio Julmahuvi", Studio Cruel Fun) parodies pretty much 80% of Finnish movies from the 70s and 80s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUyFg9xoPKk

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 23, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Thor is of course Thor, and "Björn" is Swedish for "a bear". Now you know what the name Thorbjörn (or Torbjörn) means!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

I'm not 100% sure about the translation. I tried Googling it but couldn't find a conclusive answer on what if any the English version in common usage actually is, but the Finnish original was just "stays usable for a week after opening", a very common marking on yogurt pots etc. Good for a week? Keeps for a week? I guess "use within 7 days of opening" might be the actual marking but doesn't really work for the joke?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

~Coxy posted:

Our Boarding House

:golfclap:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Here's a fun exercise for everyone. Two possibly untranslatable Fingerporis with some cultural and language context, so everyone can try to come up with their own translations!

The sign: THE JYVÄSKYLÄ SMALL DRIVE.
There's a famous rally in Finland, literally called the "Jyväskylän suurajot", "Jyväskylä Grand Drive". This is of course a play on words on that. I have no idea how to try to translate this. Possibly just Jyväskylä Petit Prix? Does that play?

Headline: "Man, express emotions"
Second panel: "That guy's nervous!"

The play on words here is that "express emotions" and "point at emotions" are the same, so the guy in the second panel is literally pointing at someone having an emotion.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Probably “Mini Drive” since it looks like the guy is driving a mini-bike.
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Powe...w_1675264546753

Yeah it's a minibike of some kind, probably a Honda Monkey, the staple of every Finnish teenage rear end in a top hat for decades.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

As an additional (untranslatable) joke, the term "über alles" can be read either as German or a mixture of German and Finnish. The Finnish word "allesi" means "underneath you" and can be used in a kind of "ota tuosta auto allesi", "take that car underneath you" -> "go drive in that car". And of course with the so called apokope in spoken casual Finnish an ending vowel is often dropped, for instance "pistä pipo päähäsi", "put a tuque on your head", can become "pistä pipo päähäs".

And so "über alles" can be read as "take that über underneath you", "take that über".

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Why is Gengis Khan dressed in a Fred Flintstone style caveman outfit?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

I don't get the reference, to my shame

There's an old joke that goes: "how do you recognize a Soviet rear end buzzer? It doesn't buzz and it doesn't fit in the rear end". The joke being that a lot of the stuff coming out of the Soviet Union was insanely badly designed and barely functional. And of course a lot of the stuff there was badly made knockoffs of Western stuff, so it could also be that?

e:

Selachian posted:

There's an old joke that a camel is "a horse designed by a committee." Maybe something similar here?

Or possibly this.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 7, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Lada is a Russian car brand, and they have been a common sight on Finnish roads for decades due to our proximity to and relationship with the Soviet Union and later Russia. They have always had the reputation for being utterly godawful, made from poor components with bad quality control. But they were cheap, so that's what a lot of Finns drove.

My big Lada memory is riding home with a friend and his mum back in the mid 80s. When we were going down a steep hill, my friend's mum noticed that a loose wheel was rolling past the car and for a moment we were amused and concerned. Then we realized it was a wheel from our car and it was less funny.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

I don't know much about cars, I don't know a saying specifically about cars going cuckoo

It might be a regional thing, but there's an old saying that something "käy ja kukkuu", "runs and cuckoos", meaning it runs well.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

The literal translation for the Finnish phrase would be "does not demand rubbing", but that wouldn't work in English.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Presto posted:

I got this and didn't want to let it pass unappreciated. :golfclap:

I don't get it!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Presto posted:

In 1977 the late Kenny Rogers released a song called 'Lucille' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kulJsH8v0ok), which contains the refrain "You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille".

This inspired a parody: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJIn6gMlo6A

Well now I get it!

Thanks!

Also thumbs up for a solid reference to the OP.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori is firmly on the side of "all cops are if not bastards, useless"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Feb 18, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Endless Mike posted:

One of my cats absolutely loves the little poof balls and will play fetch with me with them. The other couldn't be less interested. Cats are weird.

My friends have a cat who loves fluffy hair ties. She fetches them from anywhere and brings them back for another round. Every time I cat sit for them, I have to spend ages hiding hair ties around the place and she will sniff them out and bring them back to me every time. Her brother couldn't care less about the whole things and only wants to eat my shoelaces.

Hairclip Cat also enjoys hat racks.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori tackles the hot topics.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

Is that supposed to be the world's crummiest Cactuar in the back seat?

The boxes are also very :effort:. Why bother trying to draw a gundam box when you can just write "Gundam kit" on a white box.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Considering the age of the artist this is a bit cruel, but...

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Giant Ethicist posted:

Cthulhu and Girl

For those who haven't read too much Mythos stuff, the tattoo on the red-headed woman's hip is the Yellow Sign.

quote:

In the Cthulhu Mythos, The Yellow Sign is a symbol that is usually used by the Brotherhood of the Yellow Sign, a cult that worships the Great Old One Hastur.

It is said that the symbol can bestow supernatural powers such as mind-control and possession, and is used to get people under the control of the King in Yellow.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

That's one of my favourite Rae the Does, I love that Saturn's son is just a drumstick :allears:

Fingerpori

A double ("kaksio") is a Finnish term for a flat or house with two livable rooms (ie. not bathrooms or storage closets), a triangle ("kolmio") is the same with three rooms and a square ("neliö") is with four rooms. They are also the geometric terms for a triangle and a square. A bouillon cube is just a bouillon cube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori