Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Haifisch posted:

80s Nancy is Nancy(Bushmiller flavor).
I'm glad this got posted in the new thread because I'm dying to get an explanation for what Nancy's done to that toothpaste tube. Was this a common thing to have happen or what :psyduck: .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Crab Dad posted:

Toothpaste use to come in much more metallic tubes and hole would develop if you didn’t roll it from the bottom first.

Oh drat I wondered if it was something like that. Thanks.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 6/10-12/40

I'm absolutely entranced by the character designs and storylines already in this strip. And what's more American than a baseball player trying to earn enough money for a life-saving operation for his dear old mother?

Eager to see how many down to earth problems can be solved by a 20-something who can turn invisible.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Selachian posted:

Archie 2/18-20/46

Utterly obsessed with this girl's sheet music themed sweater.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Invisible Scarlet is becoming my favorite comic in this thread, I don't know how I didn't predict "plane crashes into daycare, dooming children to horrific death". At first I was worried the author was burning through plot points too fast but I changed my mind, keep going.

loving incredible.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Some Guy TT posted:

It's always extremely funny when some ancient thread lore pops up that I don't even slightly remember only to see that oh right that's because it predates my forums registration.

OK, see, this is the attitude that's missing from modern Popeye- the idea that he would want to settle down and stop going on adventures being presented as horrifically shocking to his girlfriend, yet mundane and unremarkable to Popeye himself. A big part of what makes these characters so endearing is that they have tunnelvision, not just to their own goals, but even when it comes to understanding how other characters perceive those goals, and this doesn't make them bad people, just inherently comedic ones. It's really the main thing they all have in common to begin with, which is why it always robs me the wrong way when modern Popeye neatly tries to divide them into good and evil characters.

Yeah in a vacuum I wouldn't mind the new Popeye strips, but the characters aren't really Popeye characters anymore to me. I don't want emotional depth from any of them! It's funny that Thimble Theater Wimpy dumped a mermaid fiancee because she doesn't like onions and it's weird when modern Bluto is a doting uncle to his niece.

I'll be an old crank about this forever.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/15-17/40

The mood whiplash from "cheating at a beauty contest with magic fat pills" to "wanton abuse of a blind child" sure is something.

And drat, Scarlet can take a punch.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/22-24/40

I've read every one of these strips and have decided Scarlet was born with superhuman abilities and the invisibility was just a conceit for her to use them in public. Look at her catch that falling boy with her leg!

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

JethroMcB posted:

...you could play Magic and vape!

I want a Mythbusters episode covering all the stuff we've seen Scarlet doing. Catching a kid on a cane with her leg, stopping a pro ball player from swinging a bat, etc. I have to imagine it would just ruin a ballistics gel dummy.

Also, let's appreciate that there was an open quarry within walking distance of the blind boy's house, which is just seconds away from the lagoon. The geography of this town is downright Springfieldian.

She also spent a long-rear end time inside a blazing building.

But so did the toddler she saved so maybe everyone's made of sterner stuff here.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Mister Olympus posted:

What on earth is going on here

I assumed water balloons / water bombs in a paper sack from a time before rubber balloons were widely available, but I just noticed the kid blowing one up with his mouth so now I'm not sure.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 10/3-5/40

I love Mr Badly, I'll hate to see him go. Look at that little dream bubble in strip 1, look at him wildly bargaining with Scarlet like she's the devil himself, absolute king of pathetic behavior.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I don't know what gush-slush is intended to be slang for but I definitely went in a specific direction.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 11/14-16/40

Missing a strip?

Also this is a convoluted plan even for Scarlet O'Neil.

You're a crime boss, you want to steal the money of a charity football game.

So you get a dozen or so of your most loyal roughnecks to swap places with one of the teams and the referees all so you can pound the other team into the dirt and then take the money when you win.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 11/28-30/40

Back then, after a touchdown you had the option to do a place kick, a dropkick, or run or pass to get the extra point in. Specialized kickers, as well as the idea of separate offense and defense squads, wouldn't come along until later in the 1940s.

After the dire hillbilly arc, Scarlet's managed to pull out a real banger of a story with this one. Look at her go!

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (September 23, 1939)

A group of sailors ineffectively trying to beat the tar out of Popeye is my new favorite Popeye panel :allears: .

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

:goofy: I'm gonna guess this storyline doesn't end with the teacher getting fed into a wood chipper.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

"Set for life" is a weird way to put "had your work ripped off, repackaged, traced, and used commercially without your knowledge or consent to the point where almost no one knows the artist's name", especially when you don't even credit KC Green in your strip, Monty :cripes: .

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Doomykins posted:

How times change with cultural drift. This entire initiation story in Archie was supposed to be a good old boys hazing from the glory days of college antics and what not but it reads as powerfully horny these days. Or maybe those days too.

I can't wait to tie up, paddle and soft torture this guy!

Oh good it's not just me. The strip that started with "Archie won't sit down for a week after Reggie initiates him!" took the wind out of me.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I really like the parents in Grabass.

It's called Arlo and Janis.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Alhazred posted:

Why doesn't she just quit? Every strip is about how miserable her job is.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 1/26/41

God how did I live without Sunday Scarlet, these pack even more twists and turns than the weeklies.

I can only assume the governor is going to personally execute this innocent man.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 3/9/41

Every villain in this strip is amazing. I love this woman's plot escalating from ransom to garden shears at the first setback.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

You've already had a hailstone through the window, don't stand right next to it during a storm, you should know this if you live somewhere with severe thunderstorms :argh: .

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Mister Olympus posted:

oh no archie finally printed a racist one

just popeye holding out on the old-timey comics front

there was a storyline where they were all in the southwest and popeye yells out "an indian!" before socking the first man he sees

e: yeah, that vvv

Mercury Hat fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 7, 2023

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Isn't that a pretty common point of discussion in American media from the time involving giant apes? Certainly it's been talked about with the first King Kong film. Is the ape just a big giant ape? Is it an allegory? An unconscious reflection of the creative team's views who were steeped in the white supremacy and racist eugenics of the day? It's hard to separate sometimes.

Hell, real live humans were still found in exhibitions, circuses, and the like well into the 20th century.

All this to say, yeah it pinged something on my radar, too.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Green Intern posted:

I question the wisdom of having someone with no experience in veterinary work help out in the back of the office, but I guess this just shows that the clinic is really going to the dogs. :dadjoke:

It's a great way for at least one of the parties involved to need prophylactic antibiotics and a tetanus booster.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Murdstone posted:

She’s gonna uncover a spy ring and I’m going to read every bit of it.

Hm that sounds a lot like a logical course of action for a strip that's failed to produce many of those. I mean, we just came off a storyline whose inciting incident was "escaped ape kidnapping".

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Yeah there was a strip when she called something spider pie and he ate it with gusto. Or one where he has a tantrum about eating something new and he manages to get over it when his mom tells him it's hamburger casserole.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Bracing myself for how 40s sensibilities torpedo Pat -- my new favorite Scarlet O'Neil character -- but I love the character design.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

"Yessiree, after the beating I gave him, that cat'll think twice before attacking anyone else."

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

manero posted:

Pluggers

I used to think these were great, but once I learned how they work they just seem like a nuisance at best. I'll take a seat in a shower stall when I'm a plugger, thanks.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Huxley posted:

We got our last cars just before all the touchscreen stuff took off (2014 and 2015) and we're REALLY hoping to make them last until the trend swings back to proper buttons.

I lucked out and even though my 2018 Mazda has a touchscreen panel, all the computer console stuff can also be controlled via big spinning wheel. In fact, it disables the touch screen while you're driving.

Still not used to an electric parking brake though.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (December 8, 1939)

Oh little rainbird, society may make assumptions about you but Popeye never will.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 6/16-18/41

It loving owns I never know what this strip is going to throw at me. Not once would I have predicted "villains kill calf, calf gets memorial death panel".

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Mr. Squishy posted:

The action that goes unconveyed between panels 3 and 4 is really quite astounding. Also, don't lie to me strip, Gasper's dead or dying with a cracked skull.

I was about to be annoyed by the flat tire contrivance until Scarlet brained a man with a solid piece of metal with zero hesitation.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

This Beakman's World reboot looks a little grim.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 2/5-7/51

I don't tend to read Brenda Starr but I'm invested in this baby and her storyline. All she wants to wear is a hat, she was born with teeth in her mouth already, she punches and bites everyone, her parents are a dandy and a butch, I wish her nothing but the best in life.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I figured Scarlet wouldn't be subtle about it but lol she just name drops the Good Neighbor Policy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Neighbor_policy

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

In my experience it still lives on in the phrase "good enough for government work" for finishing a job to "meh" standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

She went to Peru first to volunteer at a medical clinic over the summer and he followed her in a romcom-esque fashion.