Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

One of my favorite shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Dead Pressed posted:

Just got Starz for the first time since Spartacus ended, intend to watch Party Down with the wife. While she's out this evening, I figured I'd try Ash vs. Evil Dead... figured it's not up her alley. Not really up mine either, but I've been pretty well surprised, binged the first 6 episodes tonight...

I'm almost done with the 3rd season right now and it's pretty drat good. It really kept the spirit of the movies. The cuts to break are really weird, tho. it's like they cut out in the middle of the scene. I guess it's just the style they're going for, but it always feels like a mistake.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
It's what broke Bruce Campbell from wanting to do more evil dead

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Stegosnaurlax posted:

After everything that happens to Ash, can you blame him? Plus, the gritty re-boot of Evil Dead as a movie series has been pretty dang good (so far :ohdear:), so who can blame old men Campbell and Raimi for sitting back and letting younger folks try their hand?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Happy New Years

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 1, 2024

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Anyone watching Berlin?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is anyone watching the New Year’s Twilight Zone Marathon on SyFy?

It could be because I’m watching in the SyFy app because I haven’t had cable for years, but it looks like all the episodes have motion smoothing baked into them? Is there anyone with cable who can check this to see if it’s actually airing this way? It’s…..horrific if it is.

If you’re looking for a TZ marathon that DOESN’T look like crap, they’re also doing one on the live channels portion of Paramount+. Also PlutoTV has a Twilight Zone channel, though that feels less special since it’s not a NYE thing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

OldSenileGuy posted:

It could be because I’m watching in the SyFy app because I haven’t had cable for years, but it looks like all the episodes have motion smoothing baked into them? Is there anyone with cable who can check this to see if it’s actually airing this way? It’s…..horrific if it is.

If you’re looking for a TZ marathon that DOESN’T look like crap, they’re also doing one on the live channels portion of Paramount+. Also PlutoTV has a Twilight Zone channel, though that feels less special since it’s not a NYE thing.

No because I'm not gonna be a LOSER who sits home on New Years Eve watching TV I'm going to be a LOSER who stays home on NYE playing video games til 9 and then going to bed

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Happy NYs this thread.

We've been working through The Mysterious Benedict Society and The Santa Clauses movies and tv series and they're great family fun. Absolutely top tier work from all the child actors (shout out to Gary the elf and Olga the horrid little gnome). I imagine all the Disney-feeder stage schools are like Russian Olympic shotput academies but can't argue with the results.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I watched Killing of a Sacred Deer today and I'm Thinking of Ending Things last night, I'm considering watching a Fast and the Furious movie tonight because my brain is hurting from movies where you have to google "What happened at the end of X" afterwards. I'm Thinking of Ending Things I was pretty close to the generally accepted descriptions I read, at least.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

I'm not, just because it's on Paramount+ now, but I did watch some Twilight Zone earlier as an homage to the NYE Syfy marathons I used to watch. Some of the later-season episodes did look like they had the motion smoothing you mentioned.

Also I had completely forgotten that the first season didn't have Serling on-screen or the iconic theme music!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Some seasons of The Twilight Zone were recorded on video and were actually shot at 30fps (just like soap operas) instead of 24fps. That's likely what you are seeing. It was a cost cutting/trying new technology measure at the time.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
And sadly the Poltergeist-inspiring episode is one of those.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It also wouldn't surprise me if they sped up the frame rate a little on the film episodes to fit in the few commercial spots they are doing. They are running them in 25 minute slots which was the original run time of the episodes, so even few commercial breaks they have would require it to be sped up a bit if these are unedited.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Some seasons of The Twilight Zone were recorded on video and were actually shot at 30fps (just like soap operas) instead of 24fps. That's likely what you are seeing. It was a cost cutting/trying new technology measure at the time.

Nope, my first thought too was that I happened to catch one of the video-taped episodes, but it wasn't.

You might be right about them speeding up the episodes to fit more commercials, though. I caught the opening credits of one of the episodes, and the swirling spiral had a ton of motion artifacts on it, so they've definitely applied some kind of smoothing or respeed algorithm to it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just saw that season 2 of Outer Range has finished filming so it probably won't be too far off.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pokemon Concierge is the most adorable looking thing I've seen in awhile. And it's nice seeing stop motion animation.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Stegosnaurlax posted:

What was it about it? I thought I remembered it being the wait to see if a show is being renewed being what did it, particularly the "Renewed might mean the rug could get pulled out from under you while you're excited anyway these days".

NYE TV marathon talk: I'm at my parent's so my kid can stay up until midnight, and they've got on a Home Improvement marathon. As an adult I can see that Tim Allen was always a regressive piece of poo poo, even for the 90s.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I first wrote off Monarch as a dumb monster show. I started watching it and now I'm fully engrossed in it.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Dead Pressed posted:

Just got Starz for the first time since Spartacus ended, intend to watch Party Down with the wife. While she's out this evening, I figured I'd try Ash vs. Evil Dead... figured it's not up her alley. Not really up mine either, but I've been pretty well surprised, binged the first 6 episodes tonight...

I assume that means you missed Black Sails, you should check it out if you haven’t seen it yet. Same goes for anyone else who missed it, I believe Netflix is getting it tomorrow in the US.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Teek posted:

I assume that means you missed Black Sails, you should check it out if you haven’t seen it yet. Same goes for anyone else who missed it, I believe Netflix is getting it tomorrow in the US.

Have not, but I'll add it to our Starz backlog as I have seen it in there.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Black Sails is great. It is supposed to be a prequel to Treasure Island but it mostly does its own gay thing.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Also, THE COAT.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LifeLynx posted:

What was it about it? I thought I remembered it being the wait to see if a show is being renewed being what did it, particularly the "Renewed might mean the rug could get pulled out from under you while you're excited anyway these days".

It was the physicality of it. He felt his age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4050840