Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

huh?????

e: oh it's a gimmick poster

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't know what woke is anymore but as long as it pisses off Ben Shapiro I'm good with it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Shut the gently caress up, Wizard Master

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Wizard Master posted:

Does anybody else feel like the pendulum is starting to swing the other way when it comes to "woke" culture?

Yeah, corpo media tried that already

It didn't work out well for them.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Wizard Master posted:

Does anybody else feel like the pendulum is starting to swing the other way when it comes to "woke" culture?

The corps will continue to play both sides on it so not really. The right has been screaming about "woke" culture in some form or fashion since the civil rights movement so gently caress them

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I think sleep culture is on its way in and I am glad of it because I love a good nap!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I too am eepy.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Amazon Prime Video will include limited ads starting January 29th. A new ad-free option available for an additional $2.99 per month

eat my buttcheeks Amazon

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The good news is if you watch on PC ublock origin blocks the Amazon ads, but on a TV without pihole they're already annoying as hell when you watch their 'freevee' ad-supported stuff. Since FCC regulations don't apply to streaming content you get things like the ol' "Commercial is 3x louder than the content" gimmick

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yea I love hearing Ron Johnson screaming about the gays in between sections of MST3K on PlutoTV.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think they sneak ads into the video itself sometimes, watching Reacher S2 recently and skipped ahead to get past ones inserted at start of autoplayed episode.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Anyone watching the new Percy Jackson series? I've been pleasantly surprised that it does none of the two big things I was afraid it might do: be exactly like the old Percy Jackson movies, or be exactly like a Harry Potter knockoff.

But yeah it manages to avoid these pratfalls. Really, almost immediately it manages to set itself apart from those things and establish a coherent identity for itself. I still have big and small complaints, and the second episode felt kind of weak, but the first and third episodes have been really strong. It adapts the overall events of the book pretty faithfully, but actually takes quite a number of liberties with the dialogue, with specific ways that things happen, and even with some characterizations, but so far most of these changes have been for the better. Which is understandable, considering the book it's adapting was written almost twenty years ago and was kinda mid in the first place. The author had a hand in the writing of the TV series, and he's honestly probably glad to be able to revise his own old stuff like this.

Nitpick: They went with the loving "Medusa was priestess of Athena!" nonsense faux-canon that was completely made up and spread around by millennial internet "experts" and appeared nowhere in the old mythology

Not so much a nitpick: I don't actually think they're doing a very good job explaining the lore of the setting. What little infodumps they put in are kind of vague and half-explained and sometimes gloss over important details...or at least interesting details. Like, if you zoned out for ten seconds here or there, you might just outright miss the entire explanation for the whole camp. And it's been three episodes and they've just outright omitted the part where children of the gods inherit certain powers of the gods which is, like, the entire power fantasy of the series. It's almost as if they'd expected the audience to have read the books or watched the old movies or even just be reading the wikis, which is a choice I'm not really vibing with even though I've done all three.

Legitimately a big problem: the dark scenes are way too loving dark. Whoever lit these scenes, and whoever color-corrected them, need to be fired immediately. Every second at night or in a cave -- which is going to comprise a massive chunk of the series -- has been completely imperceptible.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

BrianWilly posted:

Nitpick: They went with the loving "Medusa was priestess of Athena!" nonsense faux-canon that was completely made up and spread around by millennial internet "experts" and appeared nowhere in the old mythology

Not in Greek mythology, perhaps, but it's not like Ovid was a millennial nobody, so there is a tradition there, for better or worse

I have no seen, nor care to see the Percy Jackson series, so no ideas how much they take from that

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

EricBauman posted:

Not in Greek mythology, perhaps, but it's not like Ovid was a millennial nobody, so there is a tradition there, for better or worse
ajfkbhafhvnfjksg It's not from Ovid. Ovid says nothing about Medusa being Athena's priestess.

v Right but that's not what I'm saying. The TV show goes with the idea that Medusa was a former worshiper of Athena, which is absolutely a modern invention that every mythology newcomer that saw some AI Youtube videos now believes is the """secret real story""" of Medusa thanks to rampant internet telephone gaming. It wasn't even in the original PJ books twenty years ago.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 27, 2023

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

BrianWilly posted:

ajfkbhafhvnfjksg It's not from Ovid. Ovid says nothing about Medusa being Athena's priestess.

No, I mean that they didn't invent the "maiden to monster plus there's a connection to Athena" out of nowhere

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

BrianWilly posted:

And it's been three episodes and they've just outright omitted the part where children of the gods inherit certain powers of the gods which is, like, the entire power fantasy of the series. It's almost as if they'd expected the audience to have read the books or watched the old movies or even just be reading the wikis, which is a choice I'm not really vibing with even though I've done all three.

I've not read the books and don't remember the lovely first movie, but it seemed fairly starghtforward that Poseidon's kid would have water affinity. The context made that pretty obvious even if you didn't know what Poseidon is, I thought.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Last episode of Slow Horses S3 released today. Really a banger, I think I was most disappointed by the fact that it was only 44 minutes long. This season was my favorite so far. Jackson Lamb is an amazing character and the whole thing is just an excellent take on the spy thriller genre. The books seem like the kind of low effort reading that I listen to at the gym or while I'm running and I'm debating between them and a rewatch before season 4, which was filmed simultaneously with 3 I think, so I'm hopeful it gets released pretty soon!

If you want to avoid all spoilers I recommend you do not watch the season 4 teaser at the end of the episode. If you really want to press it I'd say you can watch the first vignette or two but then stop watching.

My one big gripe with the season is (minor episode spoilers) that they really pushed my suspension of disbelief with the whole extended gunfight between the protagonists' group and the mercenary outfit. Cover, good positioning and plot armor can only go so far when you're outnumbered that heavily. This mostly affected my enjoyment of the previous episode though and I didn't really think much about it in this one.

I thought that they really pulled off (major episode spoilers) the last few scenes well. Lamb ripping into Standish was an absolutely brutal scene. As I watched I couldn't help but think that Lamb was probably being especially cruel to drive her to quit so that she would be safe after seeing what kind of danger she could be put in even at Slough House. The scene with Cartwright's grandfather was also quite well done and I didn't expect its resolution, or even the situation at all really. You'd think that at the point he's experiencing symptoms of dementia to the extent that he shows up at clubs he hasn't been a member of for some time, you 'd stop going to him for advice on super classified documents you were nearly killed over, but the scene was good.

But yeah, really good show in the vein of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. They seem to have quite a few books left to adapt, and if that guarantees another 3-4 seasons of quality television, I might have to consider Slow Horses a contender for best recent spy show with The Americans!

Tosk fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 27, 2023

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

IRQ posted:

I've not read the books and don't remember the lovely first movie, but it seemed fairly starghtforward that Poseidon's kid would have water affinity. The context made that pretty obvious even if you didn't know what Poseidon is, I thought.
Maybe the worldbuilding does feel more natural if someone isn't aware of all the info they're omitting? I suppose the way the show did it is at least a good argument for the efficacy of showing something instead of telling it.

It just still feels like something they would have simply told Percy at some point, though. Like, "Well buddy, we don't know who your godly parent is right now, but you might start showing some big hints." Set up a lingering question for the audience, and then pay it off with the reveal. Instead, the eventual revelation that Percy has powers that his dad has feels like they swung a bat without even pitching the ball.

More along this point, they show some campers working at a forge, but don't mention that this is something Hephaestus kids tend to do. They have a character scoff at Ares kids for picking fights, but that doesn't mean anything to viewers who don't know who Ares is. I mean, we're all nerds here, but there's plenty of people out there -- especially the kids who are the actual target audience for this show -- who can't actually list off Greek gods by memory and have no idea who someone like Dionysus or Chiron is. And part of the draw of the original books was that it would actually introduce people to this stuff, that it was a kind of gateway drug towards getting people more into mythology of all sorts.

...Well, on the other hand, I do actually also like how, in the third episode, they absolutely just expect people to know who someone like Medusa is and spend zero time explaining her powers. The characters instantly realizing what's up and making a big show of averting their eyes, without any other explanation given, was a really smart way to show the audience what they're dealing with, without putting everything on pause to tell it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They teach that mythology in school, we weren't even allowed to be taught evolution but they still covered all the big hits of Greek myth. Quizzes and everything.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Khanstant posted:

They teach that mythology in school, we weren't even allowed to be taught evolution but they still covered all the big hits of Greek myth. Quizzes and everything.

I was insanely obsessed with Greek Mythology as a kid. I was in a "gifted" class where we had to do a 5 minute presentation on a topic of our choice...teacher cut me off at 30 minutes and I wasn't even close to done heh.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha I always liked presentation days to see what everyone else was into or put together. Or if their parents did it, I even got in trouble with that once and was mad bc I wanted to make it all along but parents know that poo poo can be fun so they take over sometimes.

I had an English class in middle school who was taught by the Latin teacher who either no longer had Latin offered to teach or otherwise was saddled with backfilling lit teacher. We learned mostly about the parts of English pertaining to Latin, and we watched and read a bunch of Greek and Roman myths in stories or movies. We ended up covering politics to some extent too through the lens of ancient Greek and Roman stuff.

Gotta love a teacher passionate about subject matter, even if it's not exactly the one the class is named for.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Tried to raise my small child on a diet of Greek mythology and their most faithful representation,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzqd1PPY-2I
but then he got recurring medusa nightmares which put him off for a couple years :(

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I think it's fair to assume people will know the greatest hits, like Zeus and lightning bolts or whatever. The stuff someone could've gotten from watching Disney's Hercules is probably common enough knowledge.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
The fella what played the rich dad in Parasite was found dead, suspected suicide during a drug investigation...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Haha I always liked presentation days to see what everyone else was into or put together. Or if their parents did it, I even got in trouble with that once and was mad bc I wanted to make it all along but parents know that poo poo can be fun so they take over sometimes.

I had an English class in middle school who was taught by the Latin teacher who either no longer had Latin offered to teach or otherwise was saddled with backfilling lit teacher. We learned mostly about the parts of English pertaining to Latin, and we watched and read a bunch of Greek and Roman myths in stories or movies. We ended up covering politics to some extent too through the lens of ancient Greek and Roman stuff.

Gotta love a teacher passionate about subject matter, even if it's not exactly the one the class is named for.

My favorite was in high school my teacher did a thing called "literary hotseat" where you sat in the middle of the room and everyone formed a circle around you, and you gave an overview of the book you read and answered questions about it from people.

I still never read The Last Tycoon by F. Scott. Fitzgerald but let me tell you how cool the version I came up with for my turn in the hotseat was. Helped that no one else had ever read the book either, including the teacher.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That sounds like my worst nightmare. gently caress.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Read After Burning posted:

The fella what played the rich dad in Parasite was found dead, suspected suicide during a drug investigation...

Korea’s attitude toward even mild drug use is hosed tbh. Poor guy

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Medullah posted:

My favorite was in high school my teacher did a thing called "literary hotseat" where you sat in the middle of the room and everyone formed a circle around you, and you gave an overview of the book you read and answered questions about it from people.

I still never read The Last Tycoon by F. Scott. Fitzgerald but let me tell you how cool the version I came up with for my turn in the hotseat was. Helped that no one else had ever read the book either, including the teacher.

Lol I love that book report trick. I don't know if I BS'd an essay until college, but there was one summer where I did one of those reading for points or extra credit, idk, some incentive, and I just put every book Id read throughout the year on it, plus a bunch of books my cousins had that were worth more for being on the list, which they had because my aunt was a teacher and had a ton of em already. I think it was just a parent signature situation and cartoons and kid shows taught us the importance of learning to forge a parent's signature early.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Lol I love that book report trick. I don't know if I BS'd an essay until college, but there was one summer where I did one of those reading for points or extra credit, idk, some incentive, and I just put every book Id read throughout the year on it, plus a bunch of books my cousins had that were worth more for being on the list, which they had because my aunt was a teacher and had a ton of em already. I think it was just a parent signature situation and cartoons and kid shows taught us the importance of learning to forge a parent's signature early.

I'm glad I didn't grow up in the Internet era because a lot of my dirty tricks would be useless these days. My family was an early adopter of the Personal Computer and as such, I was one of the only kids in High School that had one along with a printer. I figured out how to replicate a report card about 99.99% effectively and sold the gently caress out of fake report cards, both for actually fooling parents and for places that gave you free stuff for having good grades.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The dirty tricks were even easier in the internet era because you could just read a wikipedia synopsis of a book and write some subjective BS about what it symbolized, or scan a report card and Photoshop it

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

deep dish peat moss posted:

The dirty tricks were even easier in the internet era because you could just read a wikipedia synopsis of a book and write some subjective BS about what it symbolized, or scan a report card and Photoshop it

Yeah but teachers look for that stuff now. No one would have imagined a future criminal like myself would be running a report card mill.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1739743131606855704

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is incredibly annoying and $2.99 isn’t that much but it’s annoying AF.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I got enough backlog on other services at this point. I'm going to binge through Good Omens Season 2, the 4 episodes of Invincible that are out there, and Wheel of Time Season 2 and then drop prime for now. I'll sub for a month in May or June to binge Fallout and whatever else has come out since then.

3 months off counters the extra for no-ads.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MarcusSA posted:

This is incredibly annoying and $2.99 isn’t that much but it’s annoying AF.
It's yet another $2.99 on top of the prices of all the other streaming services every month :negative:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Yeah, Prime Shipping ain't what it used to be and Prime Video ain't worth all that money at this point. Also, I just got hit with the Netflix Password share-block.

I think I'm going to start 2024 with cancelling all that poo poo.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hughmoris posted:

Yeah, Prime Shipping ain't what it used to be and Prime Video ain't worth all that money at this point. Also, I just got hit with the Netflix Password share-block.

I think I'm going to start 2024 with cancelling all that poo poo.
I got hit with the Netflix password share-block too, like a week or 2 ago lmao

Oh well, I rarely watched Netflix anyway. I'm perfectly content to live without seeing the next season of Stranger Things.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

bull3964 posted:

The hologram is to encourage people to "clean" since once everyone gets out there, they think they could just get everyone to see how nice it is if they clean off the lens. The real thing that's being hidden is the existence of other Silos.

But this shouldn't work! They've all watched people clean off the lens! They've been on the other end of the cleaning and they know they don't see a beautiful outdoors once the exile wipes it off. I dunno, Silo was very disappointing I thought. That was this interesting central mystery that was set up in the very first episode, and it's just so creepy and weird and compelling, and then the explanation is completely nonsensical unless the people all behave like idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Phenotype posted:

But this shouldn't work! They've all watched people clean off the lens! They've been on the other end of the cleaning and they know they don't see a beautiful outdoors once the exile wipes it off. I dunno, Silo was very disappointing I thought. That was this interesting central mystery that was set up in the very first episode, and it's just so creepy and weird and compelling, and then the explanation is completely nonsensical unless the people all behave like idiots.

Yeah the books were fun because they get beyond it very quickly. Like someone mentioned a while back... It was basically a short story with a twilight zone style twist with not a lot of thought into it. Then it kept getting expanded and you kinda have to do a work back and it's a bit dumb.