Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Slow Horses finale ruled, despite being on the surface kind of ridiculous (they killed ALL of those Chieftain Soldiers and the only casualties on their side were the non-Slough House supporting actors!), there's just something about how that show is put together that just works for me, and it's not just Gary Oldman though he's a huge part of it.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I know I’m often the odd man out, but Gary Oldman is the reason I only watched the first season of Slow Horses. There is no doubt that he is good in the role, but the cranky guy who shits on everyone just didn’t do anything for me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I can see what you mean, though I do think the show makes it pretty clear by the end of the first season that though he is a thoroughly unpleasant person to be around, he is fiercely protective of his own and a lot of times he's skewering their ego when they pull something short-sighted or take an unnecessary risk while he can demonstrate a much safer and carefully considered path to not only get the same information but often faster. Not exactly the kindest way to "teach" but they're also in an extremely cutthroat business and most of them are woefully undertrained or, like in River's case, are too caught up in the romance of everything.

He does demonstrate in season 2 that he isn't just a relentless prick for its own sake: giving River a glowing reference when he tries to move into Private Intelligence, even if he claims it is so he can get rid of him, for instance, or how he sets about looking to avenge the murder of a disgraced ex-spy who he hasn't seen in over a decade and never liked in the first place, because it's a matter of principle, and ends the season giving him a makeshift memorial to acknowledge his death. In season 3 in particular he shows he isn't just a lot of hot air when - in a show where everybody else in the service is constantly trying to cover things up or sweep things under the rug - he immediately fires two of his team for going against orders and loving up a major potential source of information in a very public way completely as a result of their own actions with nobody else to blame.

Again, not for everybody, he's a very deliberately antagonistic character and it's a hard line to walk to make him somebody you actually care about and feel cares about others, but I think Oldman really pulls it off.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 28, 2023

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jerusalem posted:

Slow Horses finale ruled, despite being on the surface kind of ridiculous (they killed ALL of those Chieftain Soldiers and the only casualties on their side were the non-Slough Horse supporting actors!), there's just something about how that show is put together that just works for me, and it's not just Gary Oldman though he's a huge part of it.

Despite that they are all disgraced MI5 agents, they are still MI5 agents. And that one guy, Donovan, was a soldier. So they can be expected to be proficient with stuff like this. The Chieftan dudes were all wannabe soldiers whose training probably consisted of cool hand motions and poses that make them look badass. They were incompetent and ran away at any sign of resistance.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Hughmoris posted:

Yeah, Prime Shipping ain't what it used to be and Prime Video ain't worth all that money at this point. Also, I just got hit with the Netflix Password share-block.

I think I'm going to start 2024 with cancelling all that poo poo.

Depends where you live. They've boosted their operations around where I am, so there's almost nothing I can't get overnighted to me. I barely watch anything on Prime Video though.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Jerusalem posted:

Slow Horses finale ruled, despite being on the surface kind of ridiculous (they killed ALL of those Chieftain Soldiers and the only casualties on their side were the non-Slough Horse supporting actors!), there's just something about how that show is put together that just works for me, and it's not just Gary Oldman though he's a huge part of it.

Yeah, my post got lost on the last page but I agree completely, that element drew me out of the episode a bit but okay, it could be worse. What did you think of the scene between Lamb and Standish at the end? Like I said in my post, it gave me the sense that Lamb was being particularly brutal to try to drive Standish away from the entire intelligentsia world. Looking forward to season 4!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Had no idea Slow Horses existed until the recent talk in this thread. Watched a couple episodes last night and it's like this show was made for me. Can't wait to devour the rest.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tosk posted:

What did you think of the scene between Lamb and Standish at the end? Like I said in my post, it gave me the sense that Lamb was being particularly brutal to try to drive Standish away from the entire intelligentsia world. Looking forward to season 4!

Yeah, I think it was partly that and also that he genuinely couldn't stand to hear her continue to laud Charles as an exemplar and a hero when he knew Charles was not only a traitor but that he had been actively planning to throw Standish under a bus to protect himself. Coupled with his own feeling of guilt for being the one who murdered Charles, and that he clearly genuinely does like Standish, he lashed out both from frustration but also because he thinks pushing her away is the only way to keep her "safe".

loving can't wait for Season 4.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tosk posted:

Yeah, my post got lost on the last page but I agree completely, that element drew me out of the episode a bit but okay, it could be worse. What did you think of the scene between Lamb and Standish at the end? Like I said in my post, it gave me the sense that Lamb was being particularly brutal to try to drive Standish away from the entire intelligentsia world. Looking forward to season 4!
I guess I posted this in the apple+ thread but not here, but my reaction was:

mystes posted:

At the end of slow horses, did lamb tell standish about partner because he decided she was going to do something stupid and get herself killed if she stuck around and wanted her to quit, or because he decided that she was finally recovered enough that she could handle knowing? I would have guessed the former but since it appears that she's going to be in the next season based on the preview I guess maybe it's more the latter?

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Ohh, makes sense for that thread to be the default for the series, I hadn't checked it. But yeah, I think we might even get season 4 pretty quickly if they filmed it simultaneously with 3!

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Reacher wears a suit count: day 3.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ninurta posted:

Reacher wears a suit count: day 3.

What else is he going to wear? The suit is the only clothes he has.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Reacher is so big there is no way he can sit on a normal toilet and he probably clogs them up frequently when he does

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Out of all the unrealistic poo poo that happens to Reacher the idea that he could go into any suit place and find one that fits him without days of alterations is the most ludicrous. I can buy him maintaining the body of the Hulk without 15 pounds of protein and 3 hours at the gym, but that's just a step too far.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Which is funny because in season one they wrote in a reason for him being able to find a suit.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Reacher is so big there is no way he can sit on a normal toilet and he probably clogs them up frequently when he does

That's half the reason he has to keep drifting

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Did you see what the guy eats? This interpretation sounds quite likely.
In the past there were those who stayed by the fire and those who took a massive dump next to it before wandering off.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

I just started watching Reacher and I love the fact that it's literally just "What if Frankenstein's monster was Sherlock Holmes?" Everyone around him is constantly amazed that this 9 foot tall slab of meat and poo poo can solve a crime by looking at a sheet of blank paper really closely for a couple seconds and work out the exact details of the murder based on the creases in the paper.

I love that it knows exactly the kind of show that it is and be's it with gusto :allears:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 29, 2023

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
It's still a little immersion-breaking to me the number of people who electively choose to get in a hand-to-hand fight with a man who is likely the largest person they have ever met.

Like in the most recent episode (well, episode 4, might not be most recent by the time you read this:
The T-1000 hired some biker gang to take out Reacher and his crew. They have one or two guns pointed at them, but ostensibly that was only to de-arm The Ol' Reacher Gang of their guns. The bikers then have to go hand-to-hand/hand weapons and not even good ones like big knives...a chain? Maybe one small knife?) because Reacher deduced they need to be quiet so they don't get caught.

Uhhh...look, these dudes are (mostly) still on their bikes. Why not just de-arm Reacher et al., then fire off like four shots each into them, then get back on the bikes and ride away. Takes like 30 seconds, and I'm going to guess your average "takes money in exchange for killing people" style biker gang doesn't give two shits about making too much noise.

It's like Scott Evil explaining to his dad to just go get a gun, and shoot him.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The local HOA has really strict rules about loud noise at night and they will track you down!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Great list Jerusalem and thx about reminding me about Loki! Can't believe I almost forgot to include it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wrong thread I assume but yes Loki had an incredibly strong (and beautiful) ending, definitely the best tv series that the Disney TV stuff has managed.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
After season 1 of Loki I was done with it. Fine, cute, fun, but ultimately more empty-headed goofy MCU nonsense. My partner started watching season 2 when she needed something to veg out to and I half-watched the first few episodes with her, and eventually started to realize that there was more going on than season 1 had to offer. Despite the show's many flaws, I was pretty blown away by how good the ending was.

It's still no Agent Carter, though :colbert:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/fasc1nate/status/1740446029668089896

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I realize that is a fresh tweet, but I've had a copy of that clipshow for a while now, and I'm fairly certain I've got it from these forums :ninja:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rappaport posted:

I realize that is a fresh tweet, but I've had a copy of that clipshow for a while now, and I'm fairly certain I've got it from these forums :ninja:

Yeah it goes around every year

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

It's still no Agent Carter, though :colbert:

Season 1 of Agent Carter was so loving good, and season 2 wasn't BAD it just wasn't as good as season 1, but that's all I had to compare it with!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rappaport posted:

Has a tick, so you know it’s stolen.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've been watching Miami Vice over the last year or so and there are plenty of guest stars that aren't even in that video. There's a somewhat steep dropoff in writing quality after season 3, but the first three seasons are worth watching for really dark procedurals steeped in incredible set design and fantastic soundtracks.

Shout outs to the Michael Richards episode which is one of my faves, which also features Bill Russell and Harvey Fierstein

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Dec 30, 2023

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Medullah posted:

Out of all the unrealistic poo poo that happens to Reacher the idea that he could go into any suit place and find one that fits him without days of alterations is the most ludicrous. I can buy him maintaining the body of the Hulk without 15 pounds of protein and 3 hours at the gym, but that's just a step too far.

lol he could go to every store, no matter how expensive, in a major city a probably never find a suit even close to his size. Outright fantasy.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

I've been watching Miami Vice over the last year or so and there are plenty of guest stars that aren't even in that video. There's a somewhat steep dropoff in writing quality after season 3, but the first three seasons are worth watching for really dark procedurals steeped in incredible set design and fantastic soundtracks.

Shout outs to the Michael Richards episode which is one of my faves, which also features Bill Russell and Harvey Fierstein

All of those look like screenshots from those FMV games where only one head is animated, and everything else is eerily frozen.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MiddleOne posted:

lol he could go to every store, no matter how expensive, in a major city a probably never find a suit even close to his size. Outright fantasy.

I'm perfectly fine with the excuse that pro football players are routinely ghosting their tailors.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

IRQ posted:

I'm perfectly fine with the excuse that pro football players are routinely ghosting their tailors.

I could do a whole thing on the evolution of professional athlete fashion. For fun, look at the suits worn at the NBA draft from like 2000 to 2010.

Now, the NFL is like the equivalent of a red carpet event with players wearing tailored suits by big names and a lot of same people do both events, especially with the merging of athletic and showbiz agencies into large conglomerates.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Reacher can wear all of Swim fields clothes, they just wouldn't be as baggy on him

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I can't believe they forgot Gordon Liddy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tom Wilkinson has passed. He was truly one of the greats.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

muscles like this! posted:

Tom Wilkinson has passed. He was truly one of the greats.

:(

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
That sucks. True absolute legendary character actor

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Goddamn that sucks, Tom Wilkinson absolutely ruled :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Just got Starz for the first time since Spartacus ended, intend to watch Party Down with the wife. While she's out this evening, I figured I'd try Ash vs. Evil Dead... figured it's not up her alley. Not really up mine either, but I've been pretty well surprised, binged the first 6 episodes tonight...