Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Feldegast42 posted:

I need to revisit FFX-2.

it's a genuinely pretty good game that suffers in some places from being a followup to FFX with how diametrically opposite it is both tonally and gameplay-wise

i do think a lot of the thematic elements fit well with it being a post-sin spira, and i'm not sure a different setting would've been able to hit the same notes, but it creates some strange whiplash if you go from "reasonably serious story of loss and sacrifice" to "lighthearted j-pop globetrotting adventure" immediately. i think playing FFX and then playing FFX-2 with a couple months removed is the best way to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mix. posted:

just bought a tv stand with led lights on the glass shelves

it was on strong markdown i'm a true gamer now

i bought a new keyboard and it's got literal rainbow LED gamer lights underneath the keys, and i cannot be bothered to hit up the BIOS to disable them

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

Sekiro has one weapon and Elden Ring makes you use an Ash of War just for a parry that doesn’t blow chunks?

elden ring doesn't make you farm blood vials, so we'll call it even

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

I guess I can understand that they set this in motion before the total collapse of Apes but who's left that's gonna buy into this horseshit at this point

The jig is up

i think this is less "SE is going to be run into the ground by insane tyrant matsuda" and more that pivoting away immediately from a clearly unprofitable direction is a great way to spook investors, who have typically invested in you because they thought that direction was going to profitable and may still be holding out hope

i'm sure it'll be quietly dropped over the next 2 years and never mentioned again

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

poking through the recent TAS videos uploads has revealed this absolute gem of a genesis game ending, and i'm wondering how many poor kids got traumatized for life playing this poo poo

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mode 7 posted:

I've spent many years joking about how I have gaming ADHD as I often just bounce rapidly between games without finishing any of them.

Turns out no, I probably have actual ADHD, been through a few rounds of assessments now with a big one this morning, and now have a final appointment booked end of March for a final diagnosis and treatment plan.
Feeling some very mixed feelings about finding this out at age 36 and my brain is trying to cope with it by going "hey, well, maybe you'll finish more games now".

congratulations, and i hope the treatment goes smoothly

speaking as a fellow ADHDer: pay attention to the type of stimulant medication they'll likely prescribe. there's two main branches - amphetamine-based (adderall, vyvanse) and methylphenidate-based (ritalin, foquest) - that get prescribed the most frequently, with differences in both how they affect brain chemistry and how they're metabolized by the body. if you get prescribed one branch and it ain't working after the dose gets ratcheted up a few times, request to try the other and see if that one works better

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Infinitum posted:

So did Cyberpunk end up being good in the end after all the patches?

Thinking about grabbing it with a Xmas card

general consensus i've seen is that it's a perfectly enjoyable high fidelity GTA-alike and seems to be almost permanently on sale

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

signalis is a pretty good time if you like oldschool survival horror, although i will recommend that you play on normal difficulty and not survival, as the game is terribly stingy with ammo and doesn't seem to have any kind of RE-style dynamic item spawning for if you run out

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

RE4 really was so good. Its so over the top stupid sometimes. But never overly so. It hit that sweet spot of being enoyably corny. Plus its fun to play.

Man did they gently caress up that formula up for RE5

RE5 and RE6 are direct responses to the market veering sharply into copying RE4's homework and the necessity to keep escalating the spectacle in order to keep pace with those changing trends

i'd argue we would not have gotten a game as phenomenally good as RE7 if RE5/6 hadn't pushed RE into as much of a franchise death spiral as they did. RE7 is only possible if you realize as a company that you're dangling by your fingernails, and so they gave nakanishi and his team total creative freedom and an incredible inhouse engine, and the result is arguably one of the best survival horror titles ever

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mr. Trampoline posted:

humans are bad at understanding probability so when you miss with a true 90% hit people think the game is bullshit and bugged, when really missing 1/10 times isn't that unlikely

games like that also often have some form of luck fudging baked into the calculations to reduce positive/negative streaks, and it's far easier to just pop up an approximate #% rather than trying to lay out the complicated math on-screen

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

can the game be played entirely offline yet?

they are slowly adding NPC party members to every story-required dungeon - i think their goal is to have all of heavensward done by the next expansion, and then stormblood during that expansion's cycle - although you still have to do the 3-5 8 person trials every expansion has with real humans for the moment due to their complexity

i think the intent is to eventually have the entire game be playable offline for when the servers inevitably switch off, but that's a very long term project, and i wouldn't expect a fully solo playable game until like, 5-6 years minimum

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

fridge corn posted:

One day bp, one day. Until then, Y'shtola will be waiting for you..

come play solo now discreetly, m'lord

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

The AI dps is terrible at playing ffxiv

the developers trained them wrong as a joke so that you'd be encouraged to complete stuff with real people, although the difference in overall speed is pretty small if you're not running with some hyper-optimized group anyways

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

In my experience npc teams took like 50% longer

i timed them before while leveling sage and it was something like 21-22 minutes with a human team and 25-26 minutes with an NPC team, although this varies depending on your own personal DPS and what role you're playing

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

victrix posted:

easily my game of the year, but it was a pretty darn good year

this year is going to be nuts because all the covid .jpg delays are going to drop

i'm loving pumped for wo long now that i have a computer that can actually play it acceptably

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

a reminder that AGDQ 2023 starts today, though it is regrettably once more online only. sucks, but the terrible economic situation would probably make an in-person thing impractical even if there weren't an ongoing global pandemic as it is

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

bone emulator posted:

I think I heard something on a podcast or something about the weird social manipulation and psychology behind those weird mobile ads.
It's something about targeting people they know won't be interested in the actual game, but are enticed by some strange narrative hook that never exists outside the ad. Wish I could remember were I heard/read it but it was both fascinating and frightening stuff.

the "what the gently caress" factor's been around for a while and has become a dominant force in advertising, it's hard to turn a corner on TV without running into some wacky old spice-esque skit intended solely to grab your attention

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Walla posted:

I'm thinking about getting into Hearthstone. Why is that a bad idea?

you will have to spend hundreds of dollars to have fun

if you want a teeth-grit multiplayer competitive experience just play league like every normal human (i.e. me), or if you want a card game play legends of runeterra which has a sensible MTX model that isn't trying to gut you like a fish

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Hearthstone has loads of free single player content

let me tell you about a lil game called "slay the spire"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

i was considering getting into the riot card game just because it was on the frontpage of gamepass lol

it's nothing earthshattering but it's a good time if you like CCGs, and, as previously mentioned, is designed in a way to not force you to fork over paychecks hand over fist just to be able to play it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The holidays are over and I have to make some tough decisions with my gaming time...

Keep on going with Elden Ring? Get back to training in Tekken? Make some time for new releases, including the new FF14 patch "Gods Revel, Lands Tremble?"

ER is a good "friday night with pizza" kinda game where you can sit down on the couch and get engrossed, so i'd do something like that

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I started playing Legends of Runeterra because it was on the frontpage of Gamepass

welcome to the magical world of runeterra, summoner...

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dewgy posted:

Finished my first game this year, I’m In Love With Your Dead Grandmother. It’s basically a semi-interactive DVD and it’s kind of terrible and I spent about 30 minutes straight laughing. Well worth the five bucks.

i wonder when we'll hit the nostalgia point for DVDs like we did with VHS

just get a whole bunch of low rent youtube horror where people discover secret options in an interactive DVD menu and enter a spiral of disc skipping terror

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

this feels less like rainbow capitalism and more like a writing room of 40 year olds being handed a list with a title like "relevant topics for today's teens"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the best RPG shopkeep is definitely maughlin the armorer from DS2 where he starts off as this timid milksop bellyaching about his failure as a merchant and, if you buy enough of his items, eventually is just loving leanin in his shop giving you poo poo every time you come to buy from him

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Wtf is skull & bones

open world ubisoft pirate game that's at this point notorious for having been delayed a truly comical number of times (it started production in 2013!)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

simon "i really need to get the driveway repaved" pegg

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it's a clickbait headline, FF16 has the usual six month exclusivity period and then it'll make its way to PCs

the "buy a playstation 5" bit is very much said in a tongue-in-cheek way in the quote, like it's the company line and he can't really do anything to change it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FF7R took 20 months to appear on PC, and when it did it the port was rough as hell. It also never made its way to another console. All bets are off.

my calculation is that a mainline title's gonna make the leap a lot faster, especially since it's being directed by one of the few actual PC gamers in japan

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Idk if a game-director-who-works-at-a-monstercorp’s personal preferences will enter the equation in this case

considering he's also on the board of directors, it very well may

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

aside from the aforementioned, AFAIK it's being developed on the same crystal tools branch that FFXIV was, which means its nuts and bolts have already had plenty of time to be rigorously tested on PC and should thus cut down a lot on porting efforts

maybe it won't be exactly six months and one day but i'm counting on it being a lot more prompt than, say, FFXV was

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

You're saying you employed the ancient divination method of ceromancy, dripping molten wax into a jar of water and reading the signs. :hmmyes:

please, it's anthropomancy or bust

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mode 7 posted:

Ubisoft have a gameplay thing up for Skull & Bones.

Great fuckin' UI, Ubisoft.

pretend i still had that french battleborne UI screenshot on my PC and i just posted it here

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the horizon people were probably seething more by proxy over their publisher leaving them hanging out to dry with that awful release dare

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm having a problem getting a steam game to work so I'm hoping that by complaining in here then maybe it'll start working.

There's a company that puts out real plain-looking CYOA text-only games, Choice Of Games. I'm annoyed because I reinstalled one of their games that I hadn't finished playing but not only has my save data disappeared, the game claims I'm playing a free shareware version. It says if I want to upgrade to the full game, I need to pay for it, and if I did pay then I can click their button to update to the paid version. I bought this through steam. The links to try and buy it or links to update it don't actually work and the game just spits out an error and takes me back to the maijj00j0jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj;;;;;;;;;;;;;mmnpnn88onjjjjjjj9n;kl;l,.m.;lo;ll0-['[-['[[[;/;/;/ ;k; k; i j '[

;;;;l;l;lll

./

greetings, cat and/or baby

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

victrix posted:

only tangentially related to vidya, but I'm enjoying watching wizards of the coast speedrun burning D&D to the ground

it's hilarious that they took the once-in-a-lifetime renaissance that critical role and stranger things provided and decided that the best way to spin it would be to spend every shred of community goodwill on trying to get their mitts on whatever measly profits pathfinder is making

good loving riddance for them mishandling 4E so poorly

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Runa posted:

They tried to pull some poo poo with their Open Gaming License to retroactively take ownership of all third-party and homemade material derived from their IP.

to explain in more detail: the OGL has been around since 3E and it basically gave you carte blanche to include the core 3E reference material in your own original works royalty free, although you weren't allowed to use other branding elements like settings or artwork

they're trying to do the same thing blizzard did with WC3 reforged where they realize they missed the boat on capturing a hot new product (pathfinder) and are now clumsily adding in a "uhhh yeah actually we own everything and it's all ours now but you can still make us free money if you want" clause to the OGL, which has royally pissed off everyone and will probably lead to paizo (pathfinder's publisher) releasing their own OGL-esque ruleset and probably taking WotC to court

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Feldegast42 posted:

Games Workshop has been making some real bad moves with community content too but are somehow better than Wizard's bullshit

they also finally successfully expanded into the video game sphere in a big way, whereas WotC has almost completely regressed, with nothing really on the horizon aside from baldur's gate 3, and hearthstone/LoR handily eating arena's lunch

it's just poo poo brand management that's now being made even worse because they believed they had more pull than they did, and now will have to furiously backpedal in a way where no one's gonna trust them again and more and more people will gradually shift to paizo's side of the table

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

HopperUK posted:

LegalEagle is a fairly fun youtube lawyer guy who has just put out a video about the D&D thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZQJQYqhAgY

it's a good watch; the tl;dr of the vid is that he doesn't think WotC actually has a leg to stand on, since you cannot copyright actual gameplay rules (a "procedure") in a way that would make monetizing the license meaningful. paizo's legal threat will probably be enough to force them to back down if that's the case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

all you need to know about how magic the gathering is doing is that they released a special limited edition holofoil reskin of a creature as negan from the walking dead