Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

haveblue posted:

In the newest Destiny 2 season they added a robot dog

It doesn't go on missions or anything, just hangs out at the home base and you can pet it there

What game started the petting trend? It used to be a novelty, now it’s basically a marketing mandate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah but the account didn’t come from nowhere

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I wish Just Cause 3 was a string/strand game, because the wingsuit is phenomenal but I really don't care for everything else, which is mostly sticks and stones.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I still get the Tetris effect when I spend an unhealthy amount of time with a game

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

Mementos hasn't quite been overhauled but enough stuff (including Ryuji's new? instakill skill on weak mobs) has been tweaked that it doesn't feel like a chore anymore- maybe I'm just hankerin for a good ol' dungeon crawl or something

my issue is that i was always overleveled for it so it felt like a waste of time (I only played 5R)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

SirFozzie posted:

Move update, I was trying to redownload Baldur's Gate 3 (I had uninstalled it previously), and would download 60GB, then fail with "Corrupted Download". This happened on multiple drives, so it's something in Steam that was busted not a HD error likely).

Did research and it said to uninstall and reinstall Steam.

Then watched in horror as it uninstalled MY STEAM LIBRARY TOO.

Oh, this is literally 12 hours before the computer gets shut down, and won't have reliable internet for 1-2 weeks.

should've followed don mattrick's advice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzmVcasl3ZU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

FUEL has one of the better GPS arrow overlay things I've seen. Looks especially nice in motion.

And you can toggle it with a single button.

The game feels ahead of its time in a number of ways. I didn't realize it was made by Asobo, the studio behind Flight Simulator and the ill fated Xbox One "Cloud" Crackdown (and A Plague Tale).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I’m surprised the ads that show fake gameplay that’s completely different from the real game don’t run afoul of false advertising laws.

Or maybe it’s just not regulated enough.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

haveblue posted:

Well, I gave Snowrunner an honest try, but it is just taking far too long to get to a point where I feel like I'm accomplishing anything. Driving around looking for stuff is too difficult and slow to be fun for its own sake. Every task I can find involves bringing the big truck somewhere it can't go, and the only way to discover if this is the case is to spend what feels like an eternity driving out from the garage, picking up cargo, and inching through mud patches until I find one where my inching stops. I was trying to pick up upgrades in the scout truck, but it flipped over and the winch doesn't work upside down and the only way out was to once again teleport all the way back across the map so add this to the very, very short list of games I've rage-uninstalled. I guess it's for people willing to put in way more research and practice time

if you want an unsolicited recommendation for a vehicular game, try FUEL. great for chill, aimless touring of a massive map.

and it has races, if that's your thing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Outriders is the Diablo 3 of Shlooters (beg my pardon) in that it strips away most of the unnecessary faff that gets in the way of what we’re really playing these games for. Combat and build building, with a heavy dose of numbers going up.

Lot of smart streamlining, and everything's very clearly laid out. You're making meaningful build choices from early on. You're not wasting time decoding mathematical minutiae. You're picking what you want your gear to do. Even ignoring the item effects, you can feel the stat difference between gear (e.g., Do I want more health, gun power, or super power?).

It feels great to triumph over a hard section not by grinding or lowering the difficulty but by taking a moment to rethink your character. And it's that way from the beginning, which is pretty unusual for looters ime. But it's got D3's Torment system (from the start) so you can manage the difficulty curve yourself.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 9, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Not sure what they were thinking with the map, though. I guess you rarely really need it because you have a waypoint trail for any quest, and the maps are small and linear, but still.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

haveblue posted:

Breath of the Wild is the game that has most strongly given me the sense that I'm discovering something ancient that has lain hidden for eons (by which I mean successfully distracting me from the fact that it was put there by a map designer a few months ago)

Elden Ring is a close second

I had a good preview of that by finding a good bow half an hour in just by exploring (then I realized it had limited durability).

The game also made me feel like a dummy because I couldn’t figure out why I kept dying in a thunderstorm (it doesn’t really make sense that unequipping your sword works, since I mean you’re still carrying it, right?).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cats and dogs are the best people.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Who remembers that Project Sylpheed was a game that existed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unsii5r74l4

It looked cool in 360 kiosks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

in my humble unsolicited opinion, that kind of scan-line simulation looks crap

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Is there an emulation thread somewhere I'm not seeing? Or is it a against the rules or something? I wanted to try the PS3 for the first time with The Last of Us but running into some issues.

What's your issue?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Make sure you're running the nightly build of the PS3 emulator. But also, the Last of Us is marked as a game that you can get in-game with, but has problems and likely can't really be played from start to finish. No one is bothering with this one because it's on modern systems and soon is releasing for PC.

I mean the RPCS3 Wiki says this

The Last of Us can be played from start to finish, but requires a good CPU and using RPCS3's patches (especially MLAA patch) for serviceable performance.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Based on what?

The previous mainline FF took 16 months to hit PC.

Maybe it was a mistake, but Sony did release a PS5 trailer with this text in the FFXVI part

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Call me when Gravity Rush is available on Steam. (Please do)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mode 7 posted:

Originally, yes, in one of the many iterations of this game that was completely retooled.

Now it's designed so you can either play it solo/with friends just PvE or you can play PvPvE
Details are light on how any of this is going to work.

They've had 10 years to steal ideas from AC Black Flag and given that there doesn't seem to be any boarding or melee combat I'm not sure they've even managed to get that far.

Did Black Flag really do much with the pirating premise? I didn’t play enough to find out, but that aspect seemed pretty shallow.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is there a word for when you're really in tune with a game and you begin to feel like the thing you're controlling is a part of you? Or that you are the thing altogether. It can be whatever, a super hero or a car.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

You can bone almost anyone you meet in Disciples Liberation (King’s Bounty/HoMM type game, though it’s a different take on the formula).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Just D&D or Magic too? Haven't played MtG in a while (ironically, cause of FOMO pressures).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I dismissed this game a couple years ago after a few hours (partly cause of performance issues), but now that I decided to ignore its objectives and just gently caress around flying, I'm loving it

https://i.imgur.com/nsJMqbW.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/gyRKYFi.mp4

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

unfortunately, none of the above, google

I want to use Google Photos as a cloud copy of my pc screenshots. I didn't consider that its theme filtering would work on games.

"storms"

"sunset"

"cliffs"

"skylines"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I hope at least the traversal is fun in Forespoken. That can save an otherwise mediocre game for me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

hatty posted:

Yeah I thought I was going nuts because I can’t parse some articles on certain websites, but I’m able to read a normal book fine so I’m not sure what my deal is. It’s like my brain goes on vacation when I’m using the internet and comes back when I’m reading a book

My brain is permanently on vacation. I have a real problem concentrating. Especially in games. I have trouble parsing longer text in games. Like my brain can’t flexibly switch between gaming mode and reading comprehension mode. The longer I play the worse it gets.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

videogames

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The largely forgotten Sunset Overdrive.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

this is maybe unfair but Sunset Overdrive is the first thing I think of when I think of the era where games expected critical plaudits for having color and not being brown.

Yeah I think SO deserves more credit. It's still visually appealing.

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

Sunset Overdrive was a fun 6/10 video game

I like it more than that. The humor is pretty insufferable, and it's a pretty basic open city game but just moving around is a lot of fun once you get the hang of things. It also scratches that Crackdown collectathon itch quite well (I've not actually played Crackdown).

https://i.imgur.com/XwfOveq.mp4

And it has some great Ratchet and Clank fireworks.

https://i.imgur.com/VeWZppV.mp4

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Maybe, idk I don't play skating games.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dabir posted:

That's a game that's putting a lot of effort into trying to trick you into thinking you're going fast

sure, but the trails and screen effect are also letting you know that you've already sped up. they don't show up until you boost.

verbal enema posted:

can u do cool flips and swoops between rail grinds?

i think i demonstrated most of the moves. it's really not just about grinding rails.

not sure why the cynicism, but i think you might enjoy it. it's no mirror's edge, though. timings are very forgiving.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

No, MS owns it. I'm thankful we got a port at all.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

speaking of, sounds like the layoffs at MS hit their game studios pretty hard.

around 30 artists at 343 alone, and that's just that one department.

(right on time for welcoming activision into their fold)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

This is a stupid complaint, but the title predisposed me to thinking the game had little character.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

343 should probably be disbanded and the people divvied up into other studios that studio is a loving trashfire.

Seems like they might actually be gutting the studio.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dabir posted:

Oh, they bribed enough people for that purchase to go through?

no, it's still going to court afaik

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Moral of the story:
Pirate whatever the gently caress you feel like. Live services are a joke and you don't own your games.

They’re delisting it from future sales, not deleting it from libraries.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

this still exists. looks good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWmQZEBC9oU

2023, PS4/5, Steam, according to the above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

or hopefully it's not that bad!