Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Wow I haven't talked to any of you since last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I'm playing The 7th Guest's #2 game of the year: Grapple Dog

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

My 2023 list based on playing a few hours of both:

1. Pentiment
2. Grapple Dog

good year so far tbh

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Thanks to Rarity and VG for another incredibly GOTY thread. See you all next year!

haveblue posted:

Trying to get into Snowrunner and I don't seem to understand how to get the basic game loop off the ground. I finished the guided startup quest and now the only tasks I have listed are all contracts that require driving all over the map. The only trucks I have are one which can carry no cargo but mostly fumble its way through mud and one that can carry lots of cargo but gets instantly bogged down if it goes ten feet outside the garage. What am I supposed to be doing at this point?

Using your little truck to scout, you can open as much of the map as possible. One thing that isn't obvious is that the Michigan map is actually like three or four maps glued together, and you need to go between those sub-maps to finish some of the quests.

Here is the advice I received when I asked the same question you did in the CSPAM games thread:

quote:

You need to upgrade the big truck. There are 3 free upgrades for the fleetstar on the first map. AWD and raised suspension are most important, and once you get the suspension you can buy bigger tires at the garage. Tires make a real big difference

quote:

To add to what others have posted, tires really are one of the most important upgrades. A decent way to start any area is to just explore around with whatever your best scout is. Hit up the watchtowers, grab any upgrades you stumble upon, accept every job you encounter (so they’re always accessible from your menu), and claim/recover any vehicle you can. After that, do some of the easier jobs so you can level up a few times and get access to better tires. Generally, the biggest tires you can slap on your truck are the best, and raised suspension upgrades let you use bigger tires. Also, broadly, for Michigan you should use off-road tires, for Alaska use snow chains, and for Taymyr use mud tires. Using a lower gear can make it easier to traverse through mud, and the winch can help get you out of basically anything so long as you have something to grab. Beyond that, feel free to gently caress around

Oh yeah, an additional pro-tip: since anything you buy you can sell back for the same amount, trailer stores are a great place to get free repairs and gas without going back to the garage. Just buy a fuel/maintenance trailer, top yourself up, and sell it back. Also, if you haven’t figured it out yet (took me a while), you can hop between any vehicle you own on the map/in your garage through the menu. Makes it easy to find a truck, claim it, recover it to the garage, and then swap back to the vehicle you were originally using

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Walla you can read your friend and mine ShallNoiseUpon's writeup of Magic Arena in the goty thread. It is perfectly possible to have fun playing that game without spending money

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Chev posted:

Forgive the impromptu catpost but after 18 years of loyal fluffiness my cat's now chasing balls of yarn in Valhalla. I am sure he'd have had many interesting things to meow about 2023 releases.

❤️

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Arzaac posted:

I think my plan for this year is to actually, finally beat Digimon World 1.

Never loving beat it when I was a kid because I kept evolving into Numemon, that drat green poop slug. This time though, I'm using a digivolution guide written in 2021, one that actually has correct information, and I will be getting good mons.

Please continue to post updates on this I am interested

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Arzaac posted:

Gladly, I love rambling on about games I like

:palmon:

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

the bowling alley in town (the lovely one, not the fancy one) had a simpsons table that never worked :smith:

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I have a million games to finish from the last couple years but here's what I'm interested in from 2023

demonschool
persona 3/4 on switch
silksong probably
like a dragon ishin
like a dragon gaiden the man who erased his name
street fighter 6
armored core (so they say)
mega man battle network collection
forza motorsport
spiders-men
sea of stars
pikmin 4 if it makes it
hogwarts legahahahah just kidding

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

RETVRN

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Looper posted:

what are the origins of this phrase...

I want to return to the era of playing Resident Evil 4 on a 8" tube tv in my dorm room. Coincidentally at this point in my life I was using a laptop that didn't have a U key

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Hwurmp posted:

I didn't know there were any Compter emlators that cold rn RE4

I was playing RE4 on a PS2 slim and posting from the laptop. I will say no more about this

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Procrastine posted:

You have access to search engines, but it's a fascist thing. I feel like thinking about it for two seconds instead of going "hah! funey meme" would maybe make people think "hmm, what groups are really into Latin and ancient Rome and also want to Reject Modernity Embrace Tradition" (why is that also a meme why are people so loving bad at noticing literal fascist slogans) but I guess I'm overestimating people! That or wuggles is entirely aware of what it means instead of just blithely repeating it but I'm going with the "nicer" option

remember what they took from you:

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i agree that wuggles is a clown

ok this is getting out of hand

Rarity posted:

Little known fact, wuggles actually stands for World's Undeserving: Gypsies, Gays, Lesbians, Especially Semites. Yikes

loving lol

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Procrastine posted:

Maybe it's not that obvious to average joe.

A couple years ago I was explaining to my coworker the significance of the numbers "1488" (to be abundantly clear: I was saying they were bad, not good) and he had no idea. Normal people*, they have no idea about any of this poo poo. And we look like weird space aliens when we try to explain it to them.

* no one posting on the something awful forums is normal

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

AceOfFlames posted:

Hell, I have wanted to get a tattoo for some time but one of my main concerns is how on earth do you pick a symbol that doesn't potentially change its meaning to something bad eventually?

My wife has multiple tattoos for a musician who has been canceled, one tattoo for a musician who is on thin ice, and ALMOST got another tattoo for a different canceled musician

Moral: If you're in show business don't let my wife get a tattoo of you

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Kerrzhe posted:

guys i dunno if yall have heard of this game called Pentiment it's pretty good

I'm rounding the end on this, it's unbelievably good. I wonder how far its word of mouth in 2022 GOTY will carry it in 2023 GOTY.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

bone emulator posted:

The no.1 reason I want own a house is to install Ethernet in every room.

That's not easy to do, but you can get the ethernet in the room with the games (provided it's on the right side of the house) and then pay them for the fastest speed they have. It is nice.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

movie list

1. RRR - I think this is pretty close to "what if they made a Yakuza movie"
2. Everything Everywhere All At Once - Like many of you, presume, I have spent my life writing little things here and there and having little ideas. This movie made me go "Oh, they did the thing I wanted to do, but better, and also they actually did it instead of just having it in their heads"
3. Glass Onion - A lesser Knives Out sequel is still a good movie
4. Nope - Jordan Peele's worst movie is still a good movie
5. ScreaVm - My wife fuckin loves this poo poo and I'm happy to report that this movie is good

TV list

1. Severance - Fuckin, what if labor was alienating???
2. Barry Season 3 - it's Barry
3. Kaguya-Sama Love Is War Season 3 - I'm more invested in the love lives of this student council than I've ever been in my own
4. The Resort - incredible stand-alone season of mystery TV that was doomed to fail because they put it on fuckin Peacock
5. Spy x Family - shock!

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I didn't love playing Nier:A but it's got the best ending of any game I've ever played

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Astral Chain really was a much better executed way of combining JRPG with action game than Nier Automata even if N:A was better written

<3

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

External Organs posted:

Wait, Rosalina is unlockable in 3D World?? How!

You owe it to yourself to play the 3D World postgame if you haven't

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

Sunset Overdrive was a fun 6/10 video game

This

---

Gonna skip Fire Emblem Engage, summoning old characters isn't very appealing to me. After I'm done with Pentiment and Grapple Dog I'm gonna get Persona 3 on the Switch and I'm also thinking any the "World of Assassination"

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

this poo poo is hilarious

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Especially Mercedes, I hate that stupid hat

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Rinkles posted:

They’re delisting it from future sales, not deleting it from libraries.

Two out of three ain't bad.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

My first finished game of the year is Pentiment. Beautiful game. Nothing like it. Made me interested in 16th century history which I didn't think was possible (sorry 1500s heads).

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

for insect glaive your job is

1. get your juices (this is made easier in High Rank by equipping bugs that automatically collect a particular color, meaning you only need two)

2. helicoptering up and down the monster's tail like a sicko. note: don't play glaive against volvidon or arzuos

3. goto 1

I "finished" grapple dog tonight. I say "finished" because I got the last hit on the final boss, and then the game crashed. for a pixel art game it runs inexcusably poorly on the switch. but it's 7.50 on steam, probably worth it there. 7/10, great movement, levels go a bit too long, completely uninteresting story, excellent finale that seems to suggest the existence of a grapple dimension ala cyclops's concussive force dimension which is very good

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I started Persona 3 Portable today as DICKN BALLS-chan (as opposed to the usual DICKN BALLS-kun). Can't say much about it in 30 minutes, but I dig that school has a vocal track.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Morgana is on the short list of tattoos I would get

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

Let’s get matching tattoos

:thunk:

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Talking about game development cycles from earlier, AAA development is completely unsustainable. The game that must not be named was started during the Obama administration. God knows when Forspoken was started

I said come in! posted:

Easy Allies gave Forspoken an 8/10, one of the higher review scores among all of the credible and well established reviewers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xumNZ1LPaKA

I checked to see if this was Huber because he likes everything, but nope, it's Damiani.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

more like foreskinpoke

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I don't have time to play the games I do like

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Cube I like your Michael Lutz story

Jay Rust posted:

What's the best Naughty Dog game? I haven't played any of them

Crash Team Racing

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I have another month of free Game's Pass left after Pentiment so I downloaded Hi-Fi Rush. Hopefully I manage to get around to it instead of just playing Vampire Survivors instead

In other wuggles gaming news last night I put another hour or two into Persona 3. I really like it! I like letting the AI control themselves.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

lmao

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Jay Rust posted:

Those were sad, lots of “I can’t wait to see my family again :)” messages

https://twitter.com/gamesradar/status/1620495591057801217?s=46&t=uzUPVMP9xYZLl_UrkZ72Yw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Waltzing Along posted:

gently caress, I forgot I was playing this. Does it work yet?

I don't know, despite loving Golf Story enough to own a physical edition and a sticker on my car I skipped the sequel

Waffleman_ posted:

February Games Chat: Happy Jill Valentines

This one