Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

wuggles posted:

I'm playing The 7th Guest's #2 game of the year: Grapple Dog
it's really fun and the music is so good (i just wish it was more than one tune per world -_-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i've got a bunch of games to play this year...

in terms of what's in front of me right now, there's Atelier Sophie 2, Nuclear Blaze, Ato, Ender Lilies, Forged in Shadow Torch, Lingo, C.A.R.L., and whatever I get in Steam Sale

and then... the BIG LIST:

Bayonetta, Black Book, Bug Fables, Crash Bandicoot 2 & 3, Darksiders all of it, Death Stranding, Hellpoint, Hitman 1 & 2, Hollow Knight, Ikenfell, Injustice, Katana Zero, Metro Exodus, Mutant Year Zero, Not for Broadcast, Overload, Rain World, Resident Evil 6, Samorost 3, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Shadow Tactics, Slay the Spire, Sleeping Dogs, Soul Reaver 1 & 2, Stardew Valley (year 2), Streets of Rogue, Tales of Berseria, The Banner Saga, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Way of the Samurai 3, Hypnagogia, ZeroRanger, Battle Chef Brigade, Steamworld Quest, Gedonia, Sherlock Holmes Chapter One, Troubleshooter

and then these games that'll hit 1.0 this year: Blood West, Viscerafest, HROT, Dread Templar, Wrath Aeon of Ruin, Vibrant Venture, Swords and Magic and Stuff, mayyyybe Satisfactory, My Time at Sandrock

and then these games that'll be on Gamepass: Cocoon, Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes, Ereban: Shadow Legacy, Lies of P, Ravenlok, Replaced, Silksong, Starfield, The Last Case of Benedict Fox, Thirsty Suitors, Atomic Heart, Wo Long

and then these games that'll be on Gamefly: Asterigos, River City Girls 2, Octopath Traveler 2, Clive N Wrench, Trails to Azure, Exophobia, Scars Above, Raincode

and something like 100 games on my wishlist that don't have a specific date yet......

will be a good gaming year again

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i've gotten Transiruby, Far Lone Sails, and Picross S Sega Genesis on switch

just waiting to see what's in the humble choice tomorrow and then i'll grab some steam sale stuff before it ends

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i've watched a couple of horror films and started on atelier sophie 2

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

I've yet to see a game that appeals to me coming out in 2023.
i got 110 games in my wishlist coming out in the next year-ish lol

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

lol he couldn't find a third ps5 exclusive to put between ff16 & spidey 2

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if you stand the ps5 vertically you have more room to put all of the many varied exclusives on the shelf next to it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

*taps mic* magafest

https://twitter.com/jbu3/status/1611028655257407488

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

did Kotaku do something to MAGfest to get them mad, they've definitely gone downhill over the last few years
they had an article last year about MAGfest not caring about covid restrictions and people getting sick as a result

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm 5 days into january and so far i've gotten:

My Time at Sandrock
Gedonia
Ctrl-Alt-Ego
Astalon: Tears of the Earth
Dread Delusion
Super Sami Roll
Overboard!
Cruelty Squad
Transiruby
Summer Paws
Super Kiwi 64
Paradox Soul
Kharon's Crypt
Cadence of Hyrule
Picross S Sega Genesis
Courier of the Crypts
FAR: Lone Sails
Jack Axe
Doom Eternal
OlliOlli World
Hokko Life
Grow: Song of the Evertree
Tribes of Midgard
Encased
The Serpent Rogue
Morbid: the Seven Acolytes (mystery key)

don't worry about it. everything's fine

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

as a ps5 owner i can confirm this is accurate

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hatty posted:

Dunking on kotaku should be reclaimed from the fascists and normalized
unfortunately the anger at kotaku on social media is usually anger at "wokeness" rather than the legitimately lovely things kotaku has done

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/wormwood_stars/status/1611141698792333312

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i like how 60 Minutes always has at least two really old anchors that have to have things explained to them multiple times by the person they're interviewing

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/A24/status/1612811508861263879

goated!!! goated!!!!!!!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Can you actually do everything in Tunic from the beginning, or do you only unlock abilities at the same time as you get the manual page for them?
the manual just exists to unlock 'information' but if you know that info already you can do a ton from the beginning

the game also has a number of hidden shortcut paths that can allow you to sequence break, it's neat

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

what if rainbow capitalism wrote a tv show

https://twitter.com/LightsCameraPod/status/1612857748428918790

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the resetera GOTY doesn't require explanations for votes so almost every post is just a plain numbered list

but i gotta give it up to the one guy who voted lawn mower simulator #1 and powerwash simulator #2. a real gamer awash in that ocean

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1613623365243125760?t=S2LpRC0h5hJPKIQhsLBpaw&s=19

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lawman 0 posted:

I genuinely don't know what to look forward to this year.
zeno clash 3

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's been a while since I played it, like nearly 8 years ago. i think i recall it being good but the change to the structure wasn't to its benefit

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

games to look forward to in 2023 (i already mentioned zeno clash 3):

cocoon - new game by the creator of limbo/inside (not the person who worked on somerville)
like a dragon ishin - i actually don't 100% love the yakuza series but it feels wrong not to include it on a list
octopath traveler 2 - idc what anyone says, i liked octopath more than bravely default. i will enjoy this one
atelier ryza 3 - it's more atelier
fatal frame zero - even if it's bad, it's more fatal frame
trails to azure - the last of the good trails games before they ditched the pre-rendered sprites and went with fail realtime 3d models
bat boy - shovel knighty game by the Smelter dev
rhythm sprout - music game with good beats, reminds me of harmoknight
the bookwalker - mix of first-person walking simulator and isometric adventure game
fall of porcupine - night in the woods but for the healthcare industry
gunbrella - reminds me of 2000s indie action games
the last case of benedict fox - spooky metroidvania
old skies - wadjet eye game
ereban shadow legacy - stelath game meets splatoon
flowstone saga - JRPG with tetris battles by zircon (many OCRemix tunes, also a VST programmer)
demonschool - isometric indie RPG inspired by SMT/Persona
ufo 50 - DEREK SAID THEY'RE WORKING ON IT, OKAY
lunark - indie Flashback
replaced - indie Flashback but it's super HD/processed ala The Last Night (but not by a chud)
small saga - rat RPG
animal well - metroidvania meets fez/tunic, lots of secrets
terra nil - unfuck the planet

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

haveblue posted:

What was that game where you're driving a station wagon and there's some kind of energy disaster happening in the distance? It looks kinda flat-shaded and I think it was shown off at one of the indie-focused events over the summer
you might be talking about the road trip game by Fullbright but that's unlikely to come out after steve gaynor ruined the company

there's also the bike trip game with a disaster happening in the distance which is ALSO marred by problematic actors within the studio

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Infinitum posted:

Computers are evolving!

The animation on the new Trigun series is pretty much the first time I thought a CG only anime series didn't just looked good, but looked amazing.

these animations are fun but almost feel overcompensating, Orange has always done good work but it's like they're desperate to be seen as hand drawn animation so they're going as over the top as possible. the vash gif is like if you took disney animation and then pushed the slider past 10 to 15

it does look good though. they just can dial it down a little bit and still have it look cartoony and good

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i hope that he's ok -_- it's been over a half hour

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Feldegast42 posted:

Honestly with how insane the internet has made society I don't think goons are much worse off than "normal" people nowadays. At least we are more self aware about it.
ehhhhh lol

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i guess there's no cined top movie thread so here were the 2022 movies i watched

10) Skinamarink - This only makes my top 10 because i've only watched 10 2022 movies so far. i did not fall into the target audience of "finds liminal spaces terrifying for some reason" so it was just a lot of staring at walls and floors as sometimes a thing moved. probably best watched alone and not in a group, which amplifies the awkwardness of the viewing experience
9) Glorious - JK Simmons is a toilet cthulhu that traps a real jerk in a rest stop bathroom
8) Incantation - decent found footage horror that COULD have been great, had it not backed into typical found footage horror tropes and stuck with the family drama/suspense. had vibes of red candle's Devotion at times
7) Slash/Back - Attack the Block for Kids. Dialog suffers from 'Life is Strange' syndrome a little (what zoomer says 'cray-cray?') but I liked the film especially the animal attack scene that was clearly an arm puppet
6) VHS 99 - I guess people did not like VHS Viral's lean on comedy but I think 99 does the horror comedy blend really well. Mabel is the best.
5) Deadstream - Cancel culture man gets owned in a haunted house, a fun found footage frolic
4) Saloum - Fascinating slow burn genre blend, not everything about it worked for me but it was pretty cool.
3) The Sea Beast - Surprisingly good and high-budget animated film from Netflix, could easily have run in theaters and passed the smell test. a little derivative of HTTYD i guess, but I still really liked it
2) Turning Red - Fantastic and cartoony animated film, maybe my favorite Pixar film since Ratatouille
1) Everything Everywhere All At Once - the reviews saying this was The Matrix but an allegory for ADHD were spot on the mark

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Propaganda Hour posted:

Mom said it's my turn on the gigantic transforming Switch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7LCf4nsOpI

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

good news, forspoken is working to improve the fish eye lens effect

well

i mean. they brought the text closer i guess

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

forspoken opens with you on trial, making it the second game to do so since Mario Sunshine

idk how trials usually go but do they usually just put your high school diploma on a table for you and ask you to look at it lol

e: what

what the gently caress kind of trial is this. you're on trial for robbery. here's a picture of you being found as a baby. any questions??

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 18, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

is not forspoken the game with the cringe core dialogue and fantasy setting, what is this judiciary set up doing in it?
it's the prologue

the judge within the same scene releases the defendant and sentences them to 120 hours of community service, which seems weird since it was a felony charge (grand larceny) and the protagonist's third felony charge as well. but not as weird as making them look at their high school diploma and newspaper article of them being found as an orphaned baby, which serves no purpose in an initial hearing other than square not having any other way in their minds to set up the protagonist's backstory

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Infinitum posted:

Does it mean "Hey Nintendo, it's been a while since you did a Direct. What games and/or potential new consoles you got cooking for 2023"?
it's not like any first party has their poo poo together, honestly

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1616288984896012288
the king has returned

Gaius Marius posted:

343 should probably be disbanded and the people divvied up into other studios that studio is a loving trashfire.
from the sound of it half the problems stem from above them with how microsoft manages their studios and hires a perpetual revovling door of 18 month contractors

and despite 343's bad track record i'm inclined to believe this because Microsoft's first party catalog is the worst aspect of the xbox one/series and they have a "FOX Primetime" level of cancelled/delayed projects

even now like. the stuff that interests me about Xbox in 2023 is indies and third party titles. i have a list of gamepass stuff coming in 2023 and it's pretty much all not-Microsoft. the one Microsoft owned game is Redfall, and then I guess if you really trust Todd Howard, Starfield

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 20, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I always hope games are good, and then if they aren’t, that the memes are good instead

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

wo long i think will be on gamepass

and actually i would think wild hearts would be too because it's EA

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i've beaten 14 games this month but a lot of them have been short (nuclear blaze, super kiwi 64, maptroid worlds, gun devil, to name a few). the longest of course being sophie 2, followed by lingo, then astalon

sophie 2 ended up being a 7 out of 10 for me, not my favorite atelier game. i liked the first sophie more, as well as firis. i guess i still have to play through L&S because i only played a few hours of it

next i have haiku the robot. i played a lil of sunblaze but i'll probably pick at that over time. the serpent rogue i tried but it's very confusing

this is what my planned playlist is at the moment:

Haiku the Robot
Powerslave Exhumed
Star Apprentice: Magical Murder Mystery
Everybody Wham Wham
Super Sami Roll
Viviette
Far: Lone Sails

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

halfway through haiku the robot (I think)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

There’s a whole lot of “people are only treating Forspoken as worse than other games because it has a black female protagonist!” happening in stupider corners of the internet. Not as cringe as the dialogue in the game itself but still pretty darn cringe
see Sarah Z's video about Sacrificial Trash for an explanation on this phenomenon

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

must be some way to pull this thread away from fail harry potter discussion..... *sees image of new bluetooth "audio leak proof" microphone*

now we're talking!!! (and none of it leaks out)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003