Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Happy new year video gamers and a hearty lol and lmao to anyone buying the DualSense Edge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Deck feels great to hold and I think my hands are real average size. Definitely more comfortable than the Switch despite the extra weight

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was also inspired to get back into Elden Ring today... I just got an ice stomp attack and learned that I can dual-wield whips, time to be more Castlevania than Castlevania

That ice stomp attack was so absurdly OP at launch, still great now tho

I have a lot of games to play but the ones I really want to play the most are all the narrative ones (NORCO, Citizen Sleeper, Perfect Tides, finally getting all the way through Disco Elysium) but I’m worried I will burn out on them if I just play that style so I need to pace them out with more gamey games

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Guess we know how the GOTY 2023 thread is starting

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve never played the Metroid Prime games but I got PrimeHack working on the Deck so they are on the list for this year!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Aren’t they meant to be doing that Avatar game

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think Elden Ring and Vampire Survivors being two of the biggest games of 2022 shows that there’s a lot of different styles out there and a lot of different people who can enjoy lots of things. I played an absolute ton of Vampire Survivors but that doesn’t mean I want every game to be a dopamine button

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It owns ignore the haters who got here first. It owned even when it was crashing every 45 minutes and it owns a lot now

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In this context the Go games are like these cute lil isometric turn-based puzzle things where you try and get to the end of a level and not get hosed

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

I think just about every Lego game is real cheap on the Steam sale rn.

Looking for some really basic, stress-free games so this sounds right up my alley. What's good here?

As mentioned, the recent Skywalker Saga has been heavily acclaimed and also includes a ton of content.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So how about those video games or idk just anything except this topic jesus

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

goblin week posted:

hi goons. if i were to choose a game between norco and citizen sleeper which one is the most discolike (in being good)??

dont say signalis i don't own a pc computer

Citizen Sleeper is more like it stylistically/gameplay-wise, NORCO is more typical point-and-click with some extra minigame things. NORCO is great but a little overwritten compared to even closest comparison point Kentucky Route Zero and I haven’t played Citizen Sleeper yet but tbh it sounds better

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have no space to put my PS5 horizontal so guess I’ll risk it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Torque is about as “to do with motorcycles” as movies get so I have to assume it’s a mixup with something else

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As long as you can move and aim at the same time Resi 4 Remake will be a vast improvement

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It's a good job they designed the original around having to stop to shoot

True but I hate it so much that I wasn’t able to get past it and just enjoy the game. It’s so annoying

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
oh poo poo, that one’s actually funny

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Following that back I learned that many people seem to believe the Magfest Kotaku dunk was a pro-gg dogwhistle which lmao

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

redreader posted:

Seeing the Kotaku dunk without any other context, that's exactly what it looks like to me.

Why? I don’t understand how that’s the first place anyone’s mind goes. It is 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, like I said, their actual explanation of "We were mad for an entire year that Kotaku printed one sentence criticizing how we handled Covid protocols" doesn't really make them look better

I dunno why they said it was a sentence because I went back and read the original article and it’s the whole thing. It’s also ridiculously scoldy and holier-than-thou. I get why it would annoy someone https://kotaku.com/magfest-discloses-dozens-of-covid-exposures-including-1848355840

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

Yikes an accurate article with an annoying authorial voice. That is definitely a sign of the absence of journalistic integrity

Kotaku is owned by G/O Media so it’s impossible for it to have any journalistic integrity. That whole company now is just getting all its sites to poo poo out weak-rear end outrage articles over nothingburgers. That article is exactly like ones modern AV Club runs constantly.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It makes sense. You don’t want your actors putting gas masks on all the time. But yeah new logic is funny

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Vampire Survivors owns so much

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That’s a pretty drat good point actually yeah

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The wired one can, but not the wireless, iirc. It’s definitely the worst thing about their otherwise fantastic controllers.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pwnstar posted:

This is a cool poster my dude.

Semi related rant: It kinda works in this instance cause its like a comic book thing but one thing that bugs me about nerd stuff is that they always have to be stamped with brand logos. My brother plays Yugioh and he's got these tins to hold his cards in that are gold with hieroglyphics all over them like a cool little Egyptian artifact and they are fuckign sick but they have a giant YUGIOH TRADING CARD GAME emblem on them which ruins it.

The amount of Teefury shirts I would have got back in the day if not for this honestly. Like a nice subtle reference and then NAME OF THING in giant letters

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can you actually do everything in Tunic from the beginning, or do you only unlock abilities at the same time as you get the manual page for them?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Because I played through Elden Ring all at once at release over a very short period like some sort of wild fever dream I’ve forgotten so many of the smaller things so I’m combing over every single area again and it’s still so goddamn satisfying, what a game. I’m also v glad I went for a sorcery build this time as it’s a ton of fun and I can’t wait to find the wilder spells

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mindy Kaling has yet to make a bad show so I’ll reserve my judgement until I watch the first few episodes. Then if they suck I’ll come let y’all know

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

There was that one walky sim coming out where your mom is Keri Russell but Steve Gaynor was canceled and so is the game now probably.

It’s still on track and sounds better than it was under Gaynor tbh: https://www.gameinformer.com/feature/2022/07/21/a-new-destination-how-open-roads-changed-direction-and-saved-its-turbulent-road?amp

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
She always does that same little jump after succeeding and it’s funny as heck. Absolutely mind-blowing gamer skills

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How come?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s on regular HBO

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hot take: people should get a PS5 because it’s a good console

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I'd rather spend $500 on almost anything else

Weird thing to admit in the chat thread for the video games forum

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Mindy Kaling has yet to make a bad show so I’ll reserve my judgement until I watch the first few episodes. Then if they suck I’ll come let y’all know

Update: they suck. It’s basically just a bad Riverdale parody with the most obvious and lazy “meta” Scooby-Doo jokes ever

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

did scooby himself ever show up

Nope.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

bro you gotta buy a ps5 or you're a fake gamer can't believe you'd post this filthy on a vidoe game forum

You’re a fuckin idiot lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Microsoft are definitely closing the gap thanks to Game Pass but it’s gonna be hard to properly pull ahead when they have even less exclusives than the PS5

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

curiously, the only console warriors you see these days all happen to own ps5s

Someone hasn’t read the Xbox thread (I see someone earlier said the same thing about the Switch thread but I stay away from that one cos of its reputation)

Metis of the Hallway posted:

Would you all like to hear a story about how I beat a miniboss in Elden Ring?

In Raya Lucaria, there's a really strong knight guarding the lift to fight the main boss of the area. I absolutely could not beat him in a fight, so I decided I would run past him and get on the lift and that would be fine, right? Except he got on the lift too, and immediately killed me. EXCEPT! Somehow the lift then killed him too, which meant I got his shield drop right after the YOU DIED screen, and then when I returned to the lift he was no longer there. Extreme gaming power.

Anyway I'm really enjoying Elden Ring. I've never played a souls game before except for half an hour trying out Dark Souls 3 and dying to the first boss a lot then giving up.

love this story lmao

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can’t stand for this Wario Land II slander

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Jesus, that thing is $220???