Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
It's actually not possible to watch that video and reasonably conclude that the Wii U is a console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Sekiro isn't a Souls game either but still managed to leave people thinking it is, so maybe Armored Core will share sufficient DNA that enough people will squint hard enough that it will become one.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

stev posted:

Eh Sekiro's a souls game in most ways excluding the actual combat. It sounds like AC will be mission based like the other games so it probably won't share much DNA.
I think From and Miyazaki could pull off a literal mission-based Souls game if they wanted. The things that make their games feel that way isn't just the obvious stuff like specific RPG elements, pacing of combat, or structure of the world, but all the little things (even the minute details) around player movement, camera, animations, sounds, dialogue, etc. In the same way that another company trying their hardest to emulate a Souls game from the ground up is still doomed not to feel exactly like a Souls game, I think From applying everything they've learned over the past 15 years to a wildly different concept is doomed not to feel completely unlike a Souls game.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i see people ask for a RDR2 remake
I think they just want Rockstar to try again

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm waiting for the QD-OLED monitor I ordered after Christmas to arrive before I play anything that looks too nice, so I've mostly been working on escalation missions in Hitman 3 and finishing Pillars of Eternity 2. Once it arrives I'm going to play RDR2, RE:Village, and finish Far Cry 6. I've never seen a proper HDR screen (let alone OLED) up close outside of insanely brightly lit stores before so I'm quite excited.

Volte fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 2, 2023

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I busted out my 3DS XL to softmod it and finally play OOT 3D and since it doesn't seem to be able to track when I close the lid, Navi is constantly heckling me about taking breaks even if I just started playing 2 minutes ago.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1610807703982702593?s=20

I mean if it's just a car racing movie with the GT name attached, that's not really anything to mess up
The second set of pictures literally looks like one of those DALL-E spreads if someone types "cars driving movie 4k high resolution render photorealistic"

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

bone emulator posted:

the best way to watch tv is to have it on your second monitor while you play a map game or something similar and occasionally glance at it.
I just replaced my dual monitor setup with a single ultrawide OLED. I'm entering a new era of focused gaming here.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

bone emulator posted:

How to play Hitman:

1. Install the Hitman Trilogy on gamepass.

that's it, you're done. enjoy your murdering.
The only potential issue with this is that your progression is tied to what platform you play it on (even on PC, it's separate between Steam, Epic, and Microsoft) so if Hitman ever leaves Game Pass you'll have to buy it on the Microsoft Store or an actual Xbox in order to keep your progress. But if you don't care about keeping long term progress (or don't care about potentially having to buy it on the MS Store) then it's a great deal.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
It's called immersion

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't care much about the battle pass (the sooner people come to terms with the fact that there will never again be a big budget online game without a battle pass, the better) but the fact that it seems to be a chapter-based linear game instead of a free roam Arkham game is the worst part of this to me.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

haveblue posted:

Colored loot was invented (or at least popularized) by WoW a lot longer ago than that
It was both invented (in its modern form) and popularized by Diablo.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Putting 30fps recommended specs on a PC game is like putting "serving size: 1 pop tart" on a pack of two pop tarts

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

homeless snail posted:

everything in the deluxe pack is rear end anyway, including the h2 dlc. they made them on no budget and they're practically empty outside of the incredibly narrow scope of the mission stories. get it on sale maybe
New York is a great map. Haven is okay.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Vermain posted:

the buried lede here, of course, is that they're both nonsense things to have in an RPG with character building choices, since they're simply system mastery traps for new players to get caught in and then get disgruntled because the game developers assumed that everyone would pump X amount into the stat instead of simply designing their systems to not require that level of meta knowledge from the player
I'm sorry, are you saying that you think that "more health = die less" is deep meta knowledge?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Wincess Peach

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't care about durability at all, I just hope BOTW2 has a better control scheme where I can cast different skills without having to pause the game and scroll through a linear menu.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Jordan7hm posted:

I got the easy (bad) ending of Castlevania SOTN. I looked up how to get a series of different endings, and I just don’t care enough to reload a save and keep going on something I wouldn’t have found without a guide. Roll credits is enough for me to wrap up a game.

Good game, the ending I got makes it a surprisingly short game though. I like how loopy the castle is, though I didn’t love the traversal.
That's not really an ending. It's more of a Game Over with a cutscene. If you're not digging the game then fair enough but you're not even close to the end. Killing Richter at that point is basically "with this character's death, the thread of prophecy is severed" from Morrowind.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I thought he was talking about just killing Richter and getting the bad ending.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Waffleman_ posted:

Speaking of dialogue in games, looks like the Dead Space remake gives Isaac a case of the good ol' AAA Protagonist Mouth

https://twitter.com/Win98Tech/status/1618216286571626496?s=20&t=w99rkLQ8FFRkwHRUjbE3WA
This seems like...a conversation? I've never played Dead Space but is "the character talks when other characters talk to them" a red flag now?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Buschmaki posted:

Silent protags are cool and I'm genuinely sad theyre rare in modern gaming
The only time a silent protagonist (that's not just silent because there's nothing to say) has ever been good is when their speech is implied rather than them being literally just mute for some reason, which only works for a very specific kind of game.

Good: "What's that Link? You say you Princess Zelda sent you? Okay then, you can pass."

Bad: "This man was at the crime scene next to the body, he must be guilty! Take him away!" *says nothing and gets thrown in the dungeon with absolutely no protest whatsoever*

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Feels Villeneuve posted:

its a fantasy world with explicit light/dark alignments OP. i think it's normal in that context that the game shouldn't present that and then go "by the way we want it to be clear that we personally think the bad guys are wrong, morally"
I took their statement to mean there are no explicit light/dark alignments. That is to say you can play a goody two-shoes who occasionally conjurs forbidden magic to commit murder, and nothing about your playthrough will change. Which to me basically means "we couldn't get the alignment system working in time so we took it out and made up some poo poo about how it would impede the player's almighty choices".

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Gripweed posted:

I’m not talking about a morality system, read the original quote. This is about the developers giving the players to be explicitly evil, not “dark side” or whatever but ontologically evil, but also not wanting the player to feel morally judged for their choice. That’s weird morally and incoherent thematically.
The original developers were talking about a morality system, which is the system that assigns you light side and dark side points or whatever. They said they don't want the players to feel punished by a morality system (i.e. you did an evil thing, you can't do X now), not that they don't want the players to feel morally judged.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I listed all my cards and the total was like $34 CAD and so far I've sold 13 cents worth.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

endgame nioh is supposed to be pretty easy though?
like there's rocket tag and really high damage but on the other hand putting 5 slowing and paralyzing debuffs on a boss with your free onmyoji magic and then draining its ki and stunlocking it to death is pretty easy.
You've just described what's known as mastery

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Buschmaki posted:

Usually if an enemy in DS3 has a flurry attack they can be hit out of it. You need to make them "whiff" and then "punish" them which will allow you to get "frame advantage" so you can then use a high damage attack. My fav part of the souls game is how fighting game like it is, including the wiki even just having the frame data of all the attacks in the game
I like the combat in DS3 well enough but frame advantage is pretty irrelevant when there's poise involved and even then, it's hardly punishment when you don't even get to follow up with a devastating combo of your own. If Dark Souls was a fighting game, it would be the shittiest fighting game I've ever played.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Waffleman_ posted:

Hi-Fi Rush is a Bethesda game published by Microsoft.
This isn't technically wrong, but there's a big difference between "developed by Tango Gameworks and published by Bethesda Softworks" and "developed by Bethesda Game Studios and published by Xbox Game Studios". Just being owned by a huge company four levels up doesn't mean you have access to their entire war chest to make whatever you want.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Vermain posted:

it's probably a consequence of classical sculptures having been stripped to the marble that we have the notion of colorless figures being somehow more dignified or noble, which is especially hilarious considering how cartoonishly garish they would've looked at the time

now that's some loving mcdonald's rear end coloring

drat can't believe they added Mark Zuckerberg to Fortnite

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

mutata posted:

I don't go to Twitter, sorry. It's on whoever is posting a tweet out of context with no comment to explain why anyone should care what a random on Twitter says.

In any case, his tweet is still illogical and contrived. Those 2 things have questionable correlation and absolutely zero causation, so regardless of what he's done, that tweet is stupid and it sucks (as most do).
It wasn't an assertion of correlation or causation though. Hi-Fi Rush is in fact a top seller on Steam despite being available on Game Pass. And those metrics are based on revenue not sales counts, so it is legitimately competitive with much more expensive games.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

mutata posted:

Ok, but then they drew the conclusion "therefore games don't need to cost $70", which may be true, but I don't see how his evidence is related to that in any way. Devs and publishers get paid for their games being on Game Pass, right? So what if it's selling well on Steam? It's a good game. Is it only selling well because it's $40? They're selling X number of units at $40, but how much revenue are they making? What of that is profit? Is $40 sustainable for the cost of production or are they selling at a loss? Does revenue from game pass not count? I honestly do not see the connection, sorry. I could just be dumb, though!
No, obviously revenue from Game Pass does not factor into Steam's top sellers metrics. Aside from that, I don't know what any of that other stuff has to do with anything. What does "Is it only selling well because it's $40" mean? Yes, obviously, more people are buying it at $40 than would buy it at $70. As far as "is $40 sustainable for the cost of production or are they selling at a loss" the amount of money they make per unit is completely irrelevant. The only thing that matters is the total revenue, and that question is answered by the fact that it's in the top sellers by revenue alongside AAA budget games, despite not being a AAA budget game (high revenue + lower expenses = more profit).

The point of the tweet is that Hi-Fi Rush has delivered a smashing success while charging less and still managing to crack the top 10 sellers by revenue on Steam even though the game is also available on Game Pass. It is a blow to the notion pushed by large publishers that $70 is the lowest possible competitive price for a mainstream hit video game by a major studio. It turns out it's possible to be competitive without charging more money. That's it.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Rinkles posted:

I mean the same publisher that set Hi-Fi's price, said that their big games will have to be $70 going forward. I don't think you can draw too many conclusions from one smaller game making money at a lower price point.
The conclusion is only that a smaller game can make that level of money at a lower price point. The proof is right there: it happened. It doesn't feel like a rare indie breakthrough like Hollow Knight or a viral flash-in-the-pan like Vampire Survivors, but a genuine "run-of-the-mill" success based on nothing more than having a good game at a price point that people are willing to pay. I definitely didn't mean they were trying to make that point, but it still proves the point nonetheless. I would be surprised if any of the higher-ups actually thought it would be a big sales hit given that it was clearly designed as Game Pass fodder.

edit: more clearly, the point isn't that The Last Of Us needs to be cheaper, it's that not every major studio needs to be cranking out The Last Of Us to stay relevant and competitive.

Volte fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The last game I pre-ordered digitally was Bioshock in 2007. I learned my lesson.